Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Erin Winter
"

The beginning, how the story came to be. This is how it starts.

"
In a single moment, everything changed. It came simply enough, with everything happening as it had always happened, when suddenly, every aspect of the world was bathed in a soft golden light. From the darkest of caverns to the tops of the sky, every portion of Earth was bathed in a light without source.
It quickly began to dim around some, becoming a near black hole in the midst of the golden light, while others were surrounded by a steadily brightening light that seemed most comparable to that of the sun. Then, just as the light had brightened to an intensity no one could withstand and the darkness looked like a pool of liquid ink at midnight, the light was gone. Just like that, faster than the snap of a finger, every bit as fast as it had come, the light was simply gone.
Theories about what had become known as the golden glow ran rampant, and everyone has a different idea. Some believed it was an act of God, showing where the loyalty of the souls of men lay. Others believed that it was some kind of alien invasion, and that the little green monsters were getting ready to come down with probes shouting "Take us to your leader, Earthlings!" There were still more down to earth theories, like terrorists or government conspiracies. But the theories and gossip flying down the rumor mill was for nought, because not one single person knew what the glow was or what it had done, or even if it had done anything at all.
After a few weeks, most people had just abandoned thoughts of the glow as a one time occurrence, and only the most dedicated or the most desperate were still talking and writing stories about it. Just when it seemed the glow had been forgotten for the daily humdrum of ordinary life, something changed, and it shook all of humanity to the very core of their being and destroyed every notion of what was and wasn't possible.
People began developing super human abilities, self-sustained flight, super strength, super speed, invisibility, phasing. Some abilities were as unique to a person as their fingerprints, while others were as common as dirt. Some people had many abilities, some had few, and some had only a single power to their name. There was only one thing these people had in common.
These people were those around whom the light had changed, and it did indeed mark their souls. The dark instantly began using their abilities for wrong-doing, stealing, killing, black-mailing, causing wanton destruction without any regard for property or human life-- or any life.
There was almost always someone to try and oppose them, but without either wish to kill or means to contain, they almost always lost. The governments, seeing the problems, joined together to create a facility to hold the rogue supers, and looking for candidates to join a team to stop them while minimizing loss of life and property damage. This search took place over several years, and all the while, new supers were being born.
When one was to have abilities growing up, a glow would burst to life around them, it's intensity no longer marking the soul of the super-to-be, but the strength of their future abilities.
Parents started to go in to hiding to keep the government from taking their children. Everyone was afraid that those who put their abilities to good use would one day disappear and leave the world to the darkened. This was not to be however, and soon the government teams began to oppose them. They're unwillingness to use lethal force often led to lopsided altercations however, and the government was always on the lookout for more powerful supers to fight for them.
The most powerful super to be born in those days was named Connor Smith, and until he was old enough to choose on his own, he was hidden.


© 2014 Erin Winter


Author's Note

Erin Winter
This is my first piece of published fiction. I ask you to be as constructive as possible in your critiques and help me out as much as you can. I'd greatly appreciate all you'd have to offer me, so please don't hold back!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it very much. You use a tremendous amount of imagery, and grab the reader's attention quickly. The only thing i miss is separation or indentation of the different paragraphs for clarity. Good writing, though! Please keep it up!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
1 Review
Added on March 15, 2014
Last Updated on March 15, 2014
Tags: Superhero


Author

Erin Winter
Erin Winter

Houston, TX



About
I'm just a new writer looking for something to help me get started. I have a lot of interesting ideas, influenced by everything from my friends to Doctor Who to Warehouse 13. This gives me a chance to.. more..

Writing