Chapter Two: Coach Hendericks

Chapter Two: Coach Hendericks

A Chapter by Erin Winter
"

After the first fiasco, explaining to his coach that he's Enabled should be no problem for Logan Smith, right? Wrong.

"
Logan was just putting the finishing the touches on the recently destroyed and now fixed parking lot and batting cages when his coach rolled up in his pristine white truck. He took a quick look around, taking in the still smoking netting from the batting cage and the small pebbles dotting what used to be the smooth surface of the parking lot. "Oh no..."
"SMITH!!! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!!"
Logan gulped as he turned to face Coach Hendricks, a giant of a man standing more than six feet tall with a bright red baseball cap to match his angry red face. "Well?"
Logan froze. "Coach... I-I can explain."
"I'd love to hear it. RIGHT AFTER YOU EXPLAIN TO ME WHY YOU CAN MOVE ROCKS AND EXTINGUISH FIRES WITH A WAVE OF YOUR HAND!!!"
"I-I, Coach, I... I'm an Enabled! Okay! I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but there are very powerful people trying to find me and if any word gets out that I'm Enabled my life would be over and the lives of everyone in the community would be at risk, and-and... Please don't tell anyone. Please! So many people could get hurt!"
Coach Hendericks's face softened. "Alright Smith, you've got me. Just tell me one thing. What in God's great name happened here?"
Logan turned bright red and muttered, barely loud enough to hear, "My power mutated. I didn't mean for it to happen, it just... happened. When a new ability first manifests, I can't control it. It comes out in a really powerful burst and then it's okay."
Coach Hendericks rubbed his face thoughtfully. I guess that makes sense. So, that burst tells you what the new ability is?"
"Yeah. It's basically the only benefit to it too, because it really really hurts. Also, it could really hurt people, and I was about to pop out of here before it started."
The old coach was nodding now. "So, you've never used your powers in the games?"
Logan looked shocked at first, then became openly angry. "Never! With perfect control over my abilities comes the ability to turn them all off. I would never, ever dream of using an unfair advantage in my playing! I thought you knew me better than that Coach!"
"Alright fine. You've convinced me. The idea really never occurred to you that you could use your abilities? No, don't answer that, just finishing cleaning all this up and get yourself some water. I'm going to work you twice as hard from now on."
"Thanks Coach." he said as he jogged off, genuine relief on his face.
Coach Hendericks smiled as the boy trotted off. He had just found him. Now all that was left was collection.


© 2014 Erin Winter


Author's Note

Erin Winter
Enjoy! Feel free to leave a comment.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on March 15, 2014
Last Updated on April 16, 2014
Tags: Superhero


Author

Erin Winter
Erin Winter

Houston, TX



About
I'm just a new writer looking for something to help me get started. I have a lot of interesting ideas, influenced by everything from my friends to Doctor Who to Warehouse 13. This gives me a chance to.. more..

Writing