Chapter One: Logan

Chapter One: Logan

A Chapter by Erin Winter
"

An introduction to Logan Smith, an ordinary boy... Except for the super powers.

"
Eighteen year old Logan Smith looked, walked, and talked just like everyone else. He was an everyday hard-working athlete, would show up early to every football and baseball practice just to get more time in. He was tall, about 6'4", with wavy brown hair and brilliant green eyes that sparkled when he talked. He was strong and fast, and he loved learning and playing sports. All in all, he looked like a model high school senior. And he would have been, except for one thing.
Logan Smith had a secret. A very big, very dangerous secret that only he and his parents knew about. He was a powerful Enabled, a superhuman with abilities beyond the supplemental. He had a specialized skill that was more powerful than any other skill residing on the planet, and because of that, he would soon have to choose.
Would he join the world as a government agent, a vigilante, or an ordinary person? He didn't know which he would choose when the time came, but he knew he wasn't destined to be ordinary.
Until his graduation though, Logan didn't have to worry about that much. His parents were still helping him understand his ability and he had half a year to go before he was required to make a choice.
Logan and his parents had another secret too, and this was perhaps a more deadly one.
For the past 18 years, people had been searching for Logan. Powerful, sometimes dangerous organizations had spent millions to try and find him, even hiring Enabled with locating abilities to try and pinpoint a location. There were two reasons he hadn't been found yet. His ability technically didn't exist, and rendered him nonexistent to any method of tracking. The second reason was slightly more complicated. Logan's father was also a powerful Enabled, his ability being super intelligence and limited telekinesis. With such weapons in their arsenal, it was almost impossible to be found out for who they were, allowing Logan to lead some semblance of an ordinary life.
Until they discovered the extent of Logan's abilities. He would be classified as an adaptive absorber, able to use the abilities of another without ripping himself apart with just one catch. Most people with similar abilities would only be able to grasp a single ability at a time, only be able to hold onto abilities for a short time, or have some other silly restriction like needing to plug your nose while you use powers or having to hop on one foot while singing Journey's 'Don't Stop Believing" at the top of your lungs in the key of G.
But not Logan. There was no restriction to his power, and if someone tried to use their power on him, no matter the distance, he would absorb it and be keep it forever, and every time he absorbed an ability he had already gained, the ability mutated. If he was strong he grew stronger. If he was fast he got faster. If he was smart he got even smarter, and sometimes abilities even mutated together to form invincibility, transformation, and even teleportation.
Logan was truly powerful, and it was a lot of added stress to put on any teenager, especially when he had to worry about someone getting hurt he touched them. He didn't even really need to go to school at all, having received the equivalent of five different degrees studying with his parents, a Nobell scientist and a super genius.
He had gone through rigorous training his entire life in order to control his power and anticipate the occasionally unpredictable mutations that occurred every so often.
He had just gotten to baseball practice, 30 minutes early as usual, when he began to notice the first signs of an incoming mutation. First his fingers started tingling, and that faded after a few moments, so he relaxed just a little, dropping his bat for fear of squeezing just a little too tightly and making it useless. He thought that, since the tingling had faded so quickly, it would be a small thing like controllable hearing enhancements or being able to see through all of the wavelengths of the electromagnetic light spectrum.
He couldn't have been more wrong.
Logan had only just convinced himself that nothing would happen when a violent cramp wracked his stomach and his feet lifted off the ground as a tremendous spasm lurched through his entire body, shaking him from head to foot.
When he returned to the ground after about five minutes, he groaned at the sight of what had been batting cages and a parking lot that was now just a bunch of charred, chewed up earth.
Rubbing his head ruefully he gave a bashful little grin.
"At least I discovered this while I was alone." He mumbled. "Now I've just got to discover how to fix it in five minutes... Yay."


© 2014 Erin Winter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a great introduction. You brilliantly introduced a character and his situation, while also giving an idea of how he reacts to what would be an 'expected' predicament given his situation. You also provide a clear visualization without giving too many details (as in: his wavy, brown hair fell ad exactly x" and one lock fell almost to his eyes) and boring the reader (or at least, me). I look forward to reading the next chapter when you post it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a great introduction. You brilliantly introduced a character and his situation, while also giving an idea of how he reacts to what would be an 'expected' predicament given his situation. You also provide a clear visualization without giving too many details (as in: his wavy, brown hair fell ad exactly x" and one lock fell almost to his eyes) and boring the reader (or at least, me). I look forward to reading the next chapter when you post it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
1 Review
Added on March 15, 2014
Last Updated on March 15, 2014
Tags: Superhero


Author

Erin Winter
Erin Winter

Houston, TX



About
I'm just a new writer looking for something to help me get started. I have a lot of interesting ideas, influenced by everything from my friends to Doctor Who to Warehouse 13. This gives me a chance to.. more..

Writing