Photographs

Photographs

A Poem by Evelynn

I'm looking through the photographs
Of the memories we used to have
When your arms would wrap around my waist
I'm flipping through the pages
Of the book of our different stages
And I can't help but wonder if I've been replaced
I'm replaying our love in the version of a movie
But the more I watch it, the more it turns gloomy
So I need to know, have those memories been erased

© 2018 Evelynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is precisely what have been going through right now and i don't think i could write it any better!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

Thank and I'm so sorry that you are going through this
One of the things about rhyming is that if you do, having established a pattern, you need to maintain it. In this you have three non-rhyming lines, then two that do, one that doesn't, and then two more that do.

But that aside, this is someone we know nothing about, talking to someone not introduced, about events unknown. And that raises the question: what's in it for the reader? Is hearing that someone unknown is sad in the aftermath of something unknown happening meaningful, or desirable to a reader who wants to be entertained?

You're thinking in terms of facts. But poetry deals in emotion. And that emotion is what your words evoke in the reader, not in a report of what the protagonist feels. In other words, instead of reporting, motivate the reader to react. Place them into the poem by making them recall like events in their own life. Entertain, don't inform. As presented, the only emotion a reader might feel is sympathy. Instead, make them CARE.

In regard to the rhyming, a really good into to structured poetry is the excerpt to Stephen Fry's, The Ode Less traveled. For what he has to say about the flow of language, I recommend it to all writers.

Posted 5 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I especially like the repetition in the “I'm (action)” lines. I think the imagery and the metaphors work well together and the ending line is a good way to leave the reader with something to consider and think about.

I think the “movie” and “gloomy” rhyme feels a little forced(of course I could be wrong), but I enjoyed the other rhymes especially “waist”, “replaced”, and “erased”.

I enjoyed reading!

Posted 5 Years Ago


You capture wonderfully that uncertainty that can creep into a relationship particularly where a little time or distance has caused a pause.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dear Evelynn, you asked a hard question in the poetry.
"I'm replaying our love in the version of a movie
But the more I watch it, the more it turns gloomy
So I need to know, have those memories been erased"
I have wondered the same question as above. Can we go too far and forget what made us happy once? Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing poetry. Great poetry make the reader think. This poem did.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

Thank you.
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

You are welcome Evelynn.
Evelynn,

I enjoyed your well written poem. Photographs, relationships and memories spur the emotions in different directions. Your words lead the reader to personal times they can relate to. As a poet you cast a spell on the reader to remember and imagine. Some times painful, some times happy. Your work will create a mood for everyone who reads it.
Peace,
Richie b.


Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

Thank you!
Very solemn and profound. Quite enjoyed the flow and the narrative, and the rhymes are very much on point! The only thing I need point out is that it should read ".....HAVE those memories...." (not "has").

Otherwise, well freaking done! A marvellous piece!

Posted 5 Years Ago


emipoemi

5 Years Ago

you can always go with the rule of conjugation: "has" is third-person singular....so it would refer .. read more
Evelynn

5 Years Ago

okay thanks
emipoemi

5 Years Ago

my pleasure.
hopefully not. some memories can't be erased so quickly or easily. touch write that tugs at heartstrings ... :)

Posted 5 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

721 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 7, 2018
Last Updated on November 15, 2018

Author

Evelynn
Evelynn

Roanoke, VA



About
Chaotic Neutral Mediocre at Best Not an Actual Writer more..

Writing
my my

A Poem by Evelynn


sonic gang sonic gang

A Poem by Evelynn


Bye My First Bye My First

A Poem by Evelynn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..