Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by E.V. Black
"

Her eyes are always watching.

"

Chapter Seven

Ever-Vigilant Eyes

 

            It was Friday, the day before Viola’s funeral, when he was thinking over her death. Allister had been called by Mrs. Whitmore, who asked if he could come to her daughter’s funeral. He accepted, trying to find some black clothes in his wardrobe. He wondered if Willow would be there or not.

            Al finally managed to find a black sweatshirt with a pair of black jeans to match. He set them up on a chair by his bed.

I just don’t get Willow. It seems her moods are ever-changing, especially what happened with Viola and all. He sighed as he thought. Maybe I was the one who was being rude. I did try to kiss her and all.
            He sighed once more as he sat down, placing his chin between his hands.

I guess I’ll never understand Willow.


_____



            Agatha was beginning to get worried about
Willow. She trudged up the stairs, taking one step at a time. When at last she came to Willow’s bedroom door, she knocked softly.
           
Willow? Are you there? Willow?”
            “Yeah.”
            “May I come in?”
            “Sure.”
            We she entered
Willow’s messy room; she noticed that she was sniffling and lying back on her pillow.
           
Willow, you really do need to clean up your room.”
            She didn’t answer. Her eyes were closed and she sighed.
           
Willow…is there anything that you want to talk about?”
            “No, I’m fine.”
            “Are you sure?”
            “Mmm-hmm.”
            “Okay…I’ll just be going,” she said, pointing to the door.
            “Mmm-hmm…”
            Once she was out of her room, Agatha was suspicious.

Usually she’s rude to me. Very unusual.
            Agatha shrugged, making her way down the stairs, mulling over
Willow’s strange behavior.


_____



            She sighed once more, drowning in the ecstasy of her own sadness.
Willow didn’t know what was with her. She was overwhelmed by life itself. A thought suddenly struck her down even more. Willow frowned, feeling a surge of hate at her own insolence.

Viola left me because it was all my fault. MY FAULT!
            Anger filled her and she clenched her fists.
            “That does it. I can’t stand it anymore. I have to go kick some a*s,”
Willow said as she grabbed her Black Widow clothes and changed from her normal attire. With that, she slipped out into the night as Arachne.


_____



            Allister stood out on the porch, his hands tightened around the railing as he looked out at the twinkling stars. For once the night wasn’t cloudy. The moon was glowing beautifully above, illuminating the yard. He admired the inky blackness that seemed to hold the stars in place. They looked like diamonds, winking and glimmering. An image of
Willow flashed through his mind. He was still thought about her. The night reminded him of her. She seemed so dark.
            I can’t do what I did before. She’d just shove me away. I wonder who she loves. Definitely not me, that for sure. I just wish I knew what she was going through. Then I could understand, but I can’t.
            He sighed. Al looked up at the sky once more as a chilly breeze swept through the growth.
            “I wish I knew,
Willow. I really do, but…I don’t,” he whispered softly into the night. He folded his arms and laid his head in them, thinking only of one girl.


_____



            Arachne didn’t usually use her abilities because she preferred to use hand-to-hand combat, but tonight, she vowed to make an exception. Instead of riding her motorcycle, she pulled back her wrist and let out a thin stream of spider silk, which latched onto a building.
            “If it works for Spider-Man, it’ll work for me,” she muttered to herself as she stepped back and flew through the air. The feeling of flying was wonderful. Her long hair swept around her and she smirked.

I don’t know why I don’t do this more often.
            She landed perfectly on a building’s top, crouched down with both her knees bent and a hand on the concrete.

Now that was fun.
            Arachne was to scouring the alleys for trouble, swinging by her string to and fro, mastering the skill, but failing to find anyone to beat to a pulp. She wiped her forehead on her hand and placed both hands on her hips.

Isn’t there anyone out here tonight?
            As if on cue, Arachne heard some screams. They didn’t come from an alley. This time they were coming from
Moonridge Park. She slicked out her hand to the nearest building. The string connected and she pulled and jumped, her long black coat flying about her legs.
            “Oomph!” she grunted. She fell on her side on the ground. Arachne stood up and brushed rocks from her side. She took a glance down at her hands. Her fingers were scraped.

Well, that was certainly graceful, she thought sarcastically.
            Arachne peered down at the source of the noise, scanning the park with her
ever-vigilant eyes. She saw two men huddling around a statue of the mayor, fiddling with something. This caught her interest, and so, she swung down even farther to get an even closer look. Her angry eyes widened, surprised by the sight she was seeing.
            A young girl was curled into a ball in front of the two men, cowering in fear. The two men appeared to be taunting her, wanting something from her. Arachne listened carefully.
            “…come on, sweetheart, we only want to see ya. Come on, stop cowering and let us.”
            The young girl had tears streaming down her face. Her eyes were scrunched up and red and her face was flushed scarlet.
            “No!” she cried out, hugging her knees to her chest. She whimpered and wept.
            “Come on, Fern, let’s do it!” one of them ordered, commanding to the other man to do something. Fern grabbed the girl and began to unzipper her pants. She was about to be raped.
            Arachne gasped and narrowed her eyes. She knew what she had to do.
            Not on my watch.


_____



            He walked through
Moonridge Park, so hopeful that Willow would accept his invitation. His hands were in his pockets and he listened to the quiet night.

She really does need some cheering up. Willow sounded so sad when I last talked to her. She needs to get her mind off of her friend’s death.

Pierce sighed.

She really does have herself convinced that it’s all her fault. How could she know?

            Pierce was so lost in his own thoughts that he nearly tripped over a pothole in the path. He caught himself just in time. He got up slowly, brushing himself off.
            “Jeez, the mayor really needs to fix things around the city. It’s literally falling apart,” he muttered to himself. He heard something. Pierce listened carefully for a moment. Voices.
            He sprinted towards the source, his nearly sprained ankle half hurting. And then he saw two men crowded around a statue of the mayor.

What are they doing?

It dawned on him that they were about to do something illegal. Pierce was about to cry out to them to stop, but he suddenly saw a flash of black hair from the corner of his eye. He then heard a shout.
            No, it couldn’t be, could it…?


_____


            She swung her leg out with a cry, kicking first Fern, and then the other man right in the crouch. The other man doubled over, groaning and rolling around on the ground. Arachne smirked. She was suddenly taken by surprise by a fist to the head. She fell down, nearly blacking out, but she regaining her senses, Arachne hopped up. Fern was in position ready to fight. Arachne, too, got into battle mode, placing clenched fists in front of her chest.
            “So, you think a girl like you can beat me?”
            “You’d be surprised,” she answered in a smug voice. She took him by surprise by punching him in the stomach.
            He grunted and fell down, but got up, clutching his stomach.
            “Oh, you’re gonna pay for that, missy. YAH!”
            He lunged a sloppy punch for her head, but she swiftly dodged it, quickly letting out a string from her right hand and swinging up onto the statue. Fern yelled at her in anger.
            “Come down here! I’m gonna beat your Barbie a*s, you b***h!” he shouted, waving his fat arms to and fro.
            “Make me,” Arachne taunted, sticking out her tongue. This only served to make Fern more enraged.
            “I’m gonna kill her!” Fern exclaimed, pointing at the girl. “I’m gonna kill her!”
He pulled out a Swiss Army knife, waving it around and running towards the girl.
            “Oh, no you don’t!” she roared, barreling down on one string, kicking Fern right in the head, knocking him out. Breathing hard, Arachne turned to the girl.
            “Come on, let me help you up,” she said, offering a hand.
            The girl cowered even more. Arachne bent down, placing her hands on her knees and smiling sweetly.
            “Come on, now. I won’t hurt you.”
            “What will you do?” she asked.
            “I’m gonna take you home where you belong.”
            “Promise?”
            “Promise.”
            “Okay…”
            The girl took Arachne’s hand, but then suddenly hugged her.
            “Thank you!”
            Arachne was at first surprised by this. she grinned and wrapped her own arms around the young girl, hugging her tightly.
            “You’re welcome.”
            Out of the corner of her eye Arachne thought she saw Pierce. She turned her head a little to get a closer look. It was Pierce. A look of alarm clouded her face.
            What if he recognized me?


_____



            He could barely contain himself. There in front of him was the legendary Black Widow. She was even more gorgeous than her picture in the paper.
Pierce watched her gracefully kick the crap out of the two men so easily.

She seems…familiar…like I’ve met her once before. Well, I probably haven’t.

Arachne appeared to be fearless. That look on her face was also familiar.
            When she was finished with them, she went over to the girl and offered her a hand. The girl seemed to hesitate at first, but talking with Arachne settled that. The girl hugged Arachne. Arachne looked surprised, but soon she was hugging her back as well.    Well, it seems that this tough vigilante has a soft side to her. Just then, he thought he saw Arachne glance his way. Pierce caught a glimpse of her face, even if it was only for just a moment.
            It couldn’t be.
            Before he could even stare at her again, Arachne was off, swinging the girl back home in her arms by way of spider thread. He stood up from behind the bush he was hiding behind, scratching his head in confusion.
            Guess I’ll never know.


_____


            Arachne swung the girl home. She soon fell asleep in her arms from the rocking of the thread. Arachne grinned. She’s so sweet. I bet I must’ve been like this when I was younger. She cuddled the girl closer with the hand she was holding her and kissed her head, nuzzling her maternally. I wonder if Pierce recognized me…
Arachne thought of this as she flew through the skies of the night with a frown on her face. She sighed softly, careful not to wake the girl.
            I’ll never know.



© 2011 E.V. Black


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on April 24, 2011
Last Updated on April 24, 2011


Author

E.V. Black
E.V. Black

About
My name is E.V. Black and I am honored that you have decided to peruse my profile. I started my writing career at a young age and have been writing for a very long time. I write in practically every f.. more..

Writing
Illusion Illusion

A Poem by E.V. Black


Why? Why?

A Poem by E.V. Black