Chapter 27

Chapter 27

A Chapter by E.V. Black
"

Willow comes face-to-face with her father once more.

"

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Blood Spilt

 

            Friday, December first was dead cold. The new month brought freezing temperatures and strong, frigid winds that blew right through you. It was twenty-nine degrees Fahrenheit and not getting any warmer.

            When Allister walked to school that morning, he was shivering underneath his heavy layer of clothing. His mom had insisted to drive him to school because of the dead cold, but Allister countered by saying that school was only a short walk away.

            Maybe I should’ve taken Mom up on her offer, Allister thought regretfully as the wind curled around his shivering form. The walk to school seemed longer than ever (probably due to the cold).

            Al hunched down within his coat to savor the body warmth that soaked into his clothing. He could see the frost thick on the ground; it looked almost like snow. The sky above grew darker with each minute. Al wished it would just hurry up and snow already. The clouds were a gray-black and appeared as if they were about to burst. He shivered with anticipation, wishing that school would be canceled for today. But no such luck. Crescent City public schools remained open because of the lack of snow. Later in the day or that night, about three to four inches of snow were predicted.

            Then, school appeared. Allister ran to the school entrance eagerly for the first time in his life. He wanted to be warm now. Other teens rushed to the school entrance doors and sighed once they stepped it. The warmth seemed to almost burn Allister's face; it felt real good.

            “Hey! Al!” Rick, another friend of his, called.

            “Rick. Good to see you, man.” Al grinned and gave his friend a high five. “Cold out there, huh?”

            “You’re telling me! My mom was about to make me stay home from school, it was so cold. But I said, ‘Nah! I can handle some measly weather.’”

            Al nodded. “Not so measly once you get out in it, huh?”

            “Hell no! The wind…I could barely move my arms.” Rick grinned despite of himself. “And maybe some other parts while at it.”

            Al laughed and Rick joined in. Al’s other friends soon found them and formed a group. They jabbered on about how cold it was that morning and how their parents didn’t want them going to school. Al nodded at the right parts and laughed at others. Somehow he didn’t feel like paying attention all that much. The energy was gone from him and he didn’t have the guts to really add anything of his own to the conversation. The thing that happened between him and Willow yesterday got to him.

            “…I forgive you for what you did. Can you forgive me?”

            Willow’s words echoed in his head. They made him remorseful. Why did she have to make him feel so guilty? What was her point? Did she really want to be friends with him again? It was ridiculous and she obviously wasn’t getting the message. She didn’t understand. She never would. It was hopeless to even converse with her anymore.

            “Yo! Al! You there?” Rick exclaimed. He waved a hand in front of Al’s face.

            Al nodded dumbly. “Some.”

            “Man, what am I gonna do with you?”

            “Nothing.”

            “Hey…I got an idea!” Rick turned to the rest of the group. “How about we take a night off and go to that hot new club? The Moonscape?”

            “Excellent!” said Dan.

            The others nodded and smiled. Rick turned back to Al.

            “You in?”

            Allister smiled. “Sure. I need to do something.”

            Rick grinned back. “Moonscape it is.”

            Allister was then not too sure about this.

 

_____

 

            “Ah! Nah!” Pierce grunted.

            He thrusted a sidekick at his opponent. His opponent struck back with a powerful karate chop to Pierce’s throat. Pierce fell to the ground gasping for breath. He glared up at his opponent. Jake, his rival, smiled down at Pierce in triumph.

            Gathering himself, Pierce rose and made an effort to breathe in a controlled fashion. Pierce glared at Jake’s smiling face. He threw an uppercut to the guy’s jaw. Jake staggered backward. His smug smile was immediately wiped from his face. Jake gave a front kick to Pierce. Pierce was thrown backward. He rolled a little ways before rising off the ground. His body was already beginning to hurt.

            Sweat dripped from his skin like water from a faucet. It was hard work, but exhilarating. Besides, Pierce needed to brush himself up on his martial arts. It had been a while since he had sparred.

            “Tired…already, champ?” Jake panted. He combed a hand through his dirty blond hair.

            Pierce thrusted a hook punch in his direction. It caught Jake right in the cheek. He staggered back and fell onto the ground.

            Pierce smiled. “I’m just getting started.”

            Jake tried to rise from the ground, but was knocked down by Pierce with one final kick to the stomach. Jake had the wind knocked out of him. He leaned over the mat pathetically and breathed in as much air as he could. When his breathing became even, Pierce held out a hand and Jake accepted it.

            “Good fight, Pierce. You’re great.”

            “Same with you, Jake. You move fast. But not as fast as someone else I know.”

            “What does he do?” Jake asked.

            She knows kickboxing, karate, tae kwan doe…you know. The basic crap.”

            Jake raised an eyebrow at Pierce.

            “You like this girl, huh?”

            “I know.” Pierce smiled. “So obvious. Don’t be ragging on me.”

            “No, I won’t. I know how you feel.” Jake smiled too.

            “Tell me something, Jake. Does your girl kick your butt, too?”

            Jake laughed. “Yeah, she does. Funny. Yours?”

            “The same.”

            “What’s her name?”

            Willow Halliwell.”

            Jake nodded in recognition. “I’ve heard of her. She’s supposed to be real good. Is she?”

            “She’s excellent,” murmured Pierce.

            Jake shook his head and snickered at Pierce.   

“Yep. You’ve got it bad.”

            “I’ve known that for quite some time, Jake. I don’t need reminding.”

            “Okay, then. See you later. I’ve got things to clean for one of the coaches.”

            “See you.”

            Pierce walked over to the locker room, parting from Jake. He twisted his locker combination into the locker’s lock. It swung open. He grabbed a white towel from the messy pile in the locker. He wiped the light sheen of sweat from his face and skin. He sighed and thought of Willow. They had their date tonight. Pierce didn’t know about Willow. He was secretly thrilled about going out with someone he really liked. Really, really liked, actually.

            The best thing was that his supervisor let him take the night off, including Willow. They didn’t have to work at all. It was such a big relief. More than his supervisor could ever know. He had been waiting for this chance for months and months. He certainly wasn’t going to ruin it. Pierce was going to make the best of it. Nothing was going to ruin it. Nothing.

 

_____

 

            The bad feeling had grown stronger overnight. A weight crushed Willow’s heart. She was sure something horrible was going to happen. She could feel it in the atmosphere. The tension was thick; the vibes were overly strong. It made Willow sick to her stomach. Her father hadn’t even tried anything at all that week. What if this bad feeling was connected to it? Predicting some horrible event to befall her later that day?

            No, Willow thought, walking nervously to her third class of the day. Nothing’s going to happen. But why do I feel like this?

            She shakily took in a shuddering breath and let it out quickly, giving up on even trying to get herself to relax. She was just too tense. She kept her shoulders hunched worriedly as she walked to her first class. Willow found a seat at the back of Biology class and listened half-heartedly as the teacher up front lectured on about the main rungs that made up the DNA ladder.

            “Adenine pairs with thymine while guanine pairs with cytosine. Simple and easy to remember. A with T, G with C. It also works in the reverse. But these pairs can never switch partners. Guanine can never pair with thymine while adenine can never pair with cytosine. These pairs would never fit together. If they were paired this way, our DNA would be so messed up.

            “I understand that some of you had questions on mutations.”

            This was when Willow’s attention was caught. The kid next to Willow raised his head excitedly. The teacher called on him.

            “Sir, what would happen if something…foreign entered the bloodstream and attached itself to a genetic code?”

            “Now,” the teacher said, “that’s a great question. What would happen if something foreign interfered with one’s DNA, or genetic code?” Willow leaned in on her desk, her attention caught. “Supposedly, the DNA would fight off the foreign thing. But another consideration is taken into question. The DNA, if overpowered, could succumb to the foreign thing and adapt to the changes. This would result in some minor physical changes. It would be considered only major at the time of formation in the womb. Maybe even before that.

            “Another possibility is during adolescence when the body changes the most to prepare itself for adulthood. During adolescence, I don’t think the changes would be major, but they would be only somewhat minor physically.”

            Willow was suddenly starting to make vague connections of the serum that was inserted into her years ago. She rose her hand. The teacher noticed this and waved towards her.

            “Sir…um, what would happen if, say, a serum that altered DNA entered the bloodstream? Would there be some form of…maybe…physical changes?”

            “If the serum was strong enough. Most things the human immune system would fight off. The serum would have to be powerful enough to overwhelm the immune system and change the genetic code. But I’ve never heard of such a case, though.”

            “Thank you, sir.”

            The teacher nodded and picked on another student that had raised their hand.

            What had Severin done to her exactly? She knew that the serum had changed her, but she had never really considered what it had done to her genetic code before. Had the serum altered her DNA only a little or a lot?

            Whatever had happened, it got Willow’s brain bubbling with not only nervousness, but excitement as well. Next time she faced up against her father, she would get the information out of him. Whether it be forced or not.

 

_____

 

            Everything was almost taken care of. His men were preparing for tonight. Everything was running smoothly at the moment. But Severin knew that, especially with Willow, things could very well end up changing drastically.

            “Sir,” said Fleming, “my men are preparing themselves. Do you have any orders for me?”

            Severin glanced up at Fleming from his desk. He placed his pen down.

            “Ready yourself, Markus. Things could very well go awry.”

            “But I’m certain, sir, that we’ll win.”

            “Keep that false hope, if you like. It’ll do you no good to think of triumph hours before the battle is even fought.”

            At this, Fleming frowned.

            “My men are more powerful than some girl.”

            “And this girl is more unsuspecting than you’ll ever dare know, Fleming!” Severin snapped. Fleming recoiled at Severin’s cold eyes. “I told you, and I tell you now, don’t be so sure of yourself. Anything can happen in between this moment and tonight.” He waved his hand at Fleming. “Go now.”

            “Yes, sir.”

            Fleming quickly left the room in order to ready his men. Severin sat down with a sigh. Youth had its advantages at times. Strength, durability, determination…three good qualities, but they were often overtaken by another three: stubbornness, ignorance, and vanity. Severin shook his head and frowned down at the paper he had been filling out. Someday soon Fleming was going to make the same mistake as his former commander and get himself killed. It was only a matter of time.

            Severin opened the door of his study and treaded down the hall to a nearby elevator. It was the first time he would be out of his study in days and days. Besides, he had to make sure Fleming wouldn’t overlook anything.

            The light of the elevator illuminated Severin’s metallic armor and chain mail. It had been a while since he had worn this outfit. Years, nearly. His black hair was combed back slightly, but he allowed it to fall over his amaranthine eyes. It contrasted well with his pale skin. Energy buzzed through him for the first time in days and days. It felt as if his youth had returned and he was running from the police all over again.

            The elevator stopped on the bottommost floor and opened to reveal large room with metal walls and a metal ceiling and a concrete floor. Guns of all sizes lined the walls and racks. Metal shelves were lined up against the walls; they were crowded with brown cardboard boxes that held armor, guns, and other deadly weapons. Others were simply filled with safety devices. Soldiers chatted with each other quietly as others marched outside to report for duty. The room was brightly lit and very clean. There wasn’t a single speck of dust to be seen. It was a tightly run facility.

            Severin approached Fleming and his men. Fleming turned around, sensing his presence. Fleming nearly jumped as fear lurched in him. Severin was pleased to see that the other four men looked fearful as well. It was good that they were afraid of him. It meant that they would willingly obey him.

            “Have you told your men, Fleming?”

            Fleming nodded seriously, containing his fright better now.

            “They’ve been told about the mission. They’re preparing and arming themselves for action.”

            “Don’t be so sure, I said, Fleming. You weren’t listening, were you?” Severin asked smoothly. His voice was coated with a light sheen of venom. Fleming’s Adam’s apple bobbed up and down as he gulped in fear. His breathing became more frantic.

            “Uh…I…I…”

            “Listen next time, Fleming. When I say something, do not take it for granted. I usually mean it when I say something. Got it?”

            “Yes, sir. I understand.”

            “Let’s hope you do,” Severin growled. He turned to Fleming’s men. “You are to watch and observe. If things get risky, you are to come in when I say and not when Fleming says. I’m in charge of this mission. Understand, men?”

            “Yes, sir,” they all said in unison.

            “Excellent,” Severin murmured. “Prepare yourselves. We set out at dusk. I’ll be watching you all in the mean time.”

 

_____

 

            The teacher’s words stuck in Willow’s head for nearly all of the day at school.

            “The serum would have to be powerful enough to overwhelm the immune system and change the genetic code.”

            Willow had never gotten sick before in her entire life except for when she was younger. Last she recalled, she got sick fairly easily. Did this mean that, when she was younger, she had a weaker immune system? Maybe her immune system had strengthened after the serum had entered her bloodstream. It was possible. Willow wasn’t dumb, after all. She was actually highly intelligent. Not a genius, but fairly smart enough to comprehend what the Biology teacher had said.

            How much had Willow’s DNA had changed? She still had her human abilities, but often she found herself thinking like a predator. It was like the animal part of her was unleashed. But it was simple to keep the animal part of her under wrap. It was only minimal.

            If the changes in me occurred during the beginning states of adolescence for me, I know I noticed my changes when I was thirteen, Willow thought. What am I apart of? Maybe he had planned for me to be this way. Maybe he had planned my birth. Could be possible with what he’s capable of. And there could also be others like me. Like that strange girl on the news that they say is me.   

Willow sighed. “Things are more mixed up with me then I thought. But Severin mentioned somehow when we faced down last that I was some kind of science experiment. Obviously I am.”

            She shook her solemn eyes. Allister then passed her in the hallway. She ignored him and submerged deeper into her thoughts. Allister appeared not to have noticed Willow at all. That was good. No awkwardness between the two of them. Willow was somehow glad that they were no longer friends anymore. But, like him, some part in her heart was still in love with Al. She couldn’t dismiss that.

 

            Willow sat alone again at lunch. She didn’t mind being alone. For most of her younger years she was alone. Loneliness was something else. Willow had learned to fend for herself, and she was good at it. Of course when she had started making friends she had come to be dependent on them. It was hard to revert to her original state.

            She thought of Viola as she bit into the sandwich she had bought. She wouldn’t have wanted it to be like this between Willow and Allister. She was the person who had attached Allister and Willow together. Without her they drew apart. Then they erupted at each other. Now, they hated each other. It was horrible.

            “So much has happened in a short period of time,” Willow murmured to herself. She shook her head. “The good and the bad. Stuck together. Vi would’ve adored Pierce.”

            She smiled in spite of herself. They would have gotten along great. They both had pretty much the same sense of humor. They liked the same things. Pierce would have thought Viola’s short purple-pink hair was a riot. But they hadn’t met. It was sad that almost everybody in her life either was killed or distanced away from her. It was almost too much for her to bear, but somehow Willow had survived it all.

            But what was coming next? With this bad feeling of hers tingling in her spine, something was bound to happen. Something big.

 

_____

 

            “Commissioner, please, will you just�"”

            Commissioner Longhorn glared at Detective Eberhard. She recoiled under his cold gaze, but not before glowering right back at him.

            “I told you a thousand times, Eberhard. I will not reconsider my actions. The Black Widow is now a wanted criminal. A criminal and a murderer. Doesn’t that mean anything to you?”

            Eberhard thrust up from her seat in the meeting room.

            “You are blaming something on an innocent person. She didn’t do anything to anyone.”

            “Now you’re on her side?”

            Carys crossed her arms. “Maybe I am, maybe not. What really matters is that she’s innocent, sir!”

            “Goddamn it!” Longhorn got into Carys’s face. She tried hard not to flinch. She kept her face as furious as his. “That…b***h…is not innocent, Eberhard. She’s committed eight murders. Mean anything to you?”

            Carys huffed impatiently. “I’m telling you, sir, that�"”

            “The Black Widow was innocent? We have witnesses that�"”

            “That say the murderer has white hair. The Black Widow has black hair.”

            “It could easily be a wig, or hair dye.”

            “The Black Widow has never murdered anyone.”

            “And who’s to say she can’t? With those…those freak powers of hers, she could easily kill someone as much as look at them.”

            “Sir, please�"”

            “Go back to work, Eberhard,” Longhorn snapped. “I don’t want to hear it.”

            Longhorn glowered at Detective Eberhard until she had shut the door in his face. Her insides boiled with a burning fury. She gritted her teeth and kept the flow of curses repressed.

            I really am asking for it, Eberhard thought. But someone has to stand up for the Black Widow. At least my mind is reasonable. I know who the Black Widow is, and she certainly hasn’t murdered anyone. She could’ve murdered those men, but she seemed too innocent. Willow would never do something like that. But Longhorn is right about her being capable of it…she doesn’t have the right motive, though.

            Eberhard sighed and shook her head. Luckily, neither Willow nor that mysterious white-haired girl had appeared that week. Maybe this would fade and be forgotten over time. Carys really hoped for that. She didn’t want Willow to be thrown into jail, especially not because of things she didn’t do. It was unfair. She knew that most of life’s experiences were unfair.           

“I just hope Willow knows what’s best and stays away.”

            She opened the door to her office and disappeared within.

 

_____

 

            It was three o’clock in the afternoon right at that moment, and the nervousness in him overwhelmed his excitement. What if it turned out that Willow didn’t like him at all? What if he ruined it for the both of them?

            No, he told himself as he paced his living room floor. I can’t think this way. I just can’t. I know Willow likes me. I won’t ruin this.

            He calmed himself by taking in a deep breath and straightening out his grimacing face. Now he was a bit more composed than before. He was calm, he was cool, and he was reserved. Nothing worried him, he urged himself. Nothing did. It was only a few more hours until he and Willow met at her house. She had mentioned that her foster parents wanted to meet him.

            “My foster mom is real…well…nervous about meeting you,” Willow had said. “She loves to worry. I think she thinks that you’re some kinda stalker or something.”

            This gave Pierce a reassured smile. Willow’s sense of humor never failed to make him laugh. It meant she was happy. He had never seen her so happy.          

When Pierce had first met Willow, she was reserved and inert. She always kept a scowl on her face and became irritated real easily. She was beautiful but deadly. She had hated Pierce at first, but as they conversed, Willow had taken a liking to him. She preferred to spar with him than any of the other people at the Academy. Silently, they shared a bond. They wouldn’t tell each other their secrets, and they became friends through that.

            Now it had turned into something more. Willow had opened up since she had registered into high school. Making other friends besides him had cleared her perspective that everyone was out to get her. Clearly her friend’s death placed a weight upon her shoulders, but with this, she had grown closer to her other friend, Allister. Now, because of Willow’s love for Pierce, this Allister hated Willow and refused to be friends with her anymore.

            This was when Pierce had decided to treat Willow with the love and respect she deserved. He would never be false to her, even for one second. He would always be there to listen to her problems and give her advice. Pierce would help Willow to find herself, and maybe she would help find his own self. They would maybe discover each other in the process. The thought warmed his insides. They would be together for as long as fate allowed them to be.

            Pierce went into his room and rummaged through his clothing. He knew he had something that would be appropriate for a club scene such as this one. Then he found it. It was his black leather pants and jacket, the clothes that made him appear his toughest. It was perfect for Moonscape. A thought struck him. He would bring his Christmas present on their date and give it to Willow early. Why not? He knew that she would love it.

            He nodded to himself in approval. It would be a great night.

 

_____

 

            Fleming’s men took their time putting on their armor. The chain mail was draped carefully across their chests. The black metallic armor was clamped on around their midsections, their legs, arms, necks, and hips. Their faces were free of any masks, and no helmets were on their heads. They armed themselves with small guns hidden in their leg and arm armor and bigger guns that were slung across their backs. It would be simple for them to whip out their guns from nowhere if there were to be an attack.

            Severin nearly felt proud of them. They were highly educated and trained to obey orders and not to allow their emotions to interfere within their work. In other words, they were the perfect soldiers, but not the kind that Severin had worked so many years to make. All his perfect genetically modified soldiers had either disappeared out onto the streets or were now entirely against him. He still had hope for the project. He didn’t want to kill Willow because he knew that meant the destruction of one of his greatest creations. She was a threat to his work, though. She knew more than she was supposed to. She had to go.

            “Fleming,” Severin commanded, “allow your men some refreshments. It’ll be a while before they have to do serious work.”

            Fleming nodded. He turned to them and barked at them to get food and drinks. They bowed their heads and marched off into a different room from the metal one they were currently in.

            “Sir, shouldn’t they�"?”

            “I told you not to question me, Fleming. I am the commander of them, not you. They, and you, are to follow my orders. If they’re to work late into the night, they should be as refreshed and energized as possible.” Severin narrowed his threatening eyes at Fleming. Fleming flinched at his gaze. “Understand?”

            Fleming bowed his head dumbly.

            “Yes, sir. I understand.”

            “Good. Never question me ever again. Or else you’ll find yourself in the same state as your previous commander, Cain,” Severin snarled smoothly. The words were said casually enough but had a serious undertone.

            Fleming bit his lip at the thought.

            “Never will I question your orders again, sir.”

            “Excellent. Get refreshed.”

            Fleming bowed his head meekly again and rushed off into the other room. Severin narrowed his eyes. He wouldn’t allow that stupid young youth to mess it up for him despite the battle not having been fought yet. He wanted everything to fall perfectly into place.

 

_____

 

            Dusk fell quickly seeing as the days grew shorter. Winter was on full force. The setting sun in the distant horizon winked its last rays. It painted the sky a canvas of breathtaking shades of deep magenta, dark purple, indigo, midnight blue, light purple, and others. Each blended in perfectly with the last.

            Pierce gazed up at this lovely sight. He shivered in the cold and drew his black leather coat about him tighter. The leather was heavy enough to keep out the cold. He was perfectly toasty all except for his ears and bare face. Nothing that his truck wouldn’t fix.

            Carrying Willow’s present in tow underneath his coat, Pierce climbed into the driver’s seat and started the quiet engine of his truck. It purred to life. Pierce made sure to turn up the heat on full blast. Within seconds, the entire truck was perfectly warm. Taking a deep breath, he revved up the engine of the red truck and backed slowly out of the driveway. He checked for any cars. There were none.

            Pierce peacefully drove down the road and through various blocks to get to Willow’s house. He checked his watch. 7:00 PM. Not bad timing. In fact, it was perfect.

 

_____

 

            It was perfect, Willow thought. Since they were going to Moonscape, why not? It wouldn’t hurt anyone.

            Willow slipped on her black leather pants over her legs, thighs, and then finally settled right on her hips. Her red sleeveless zip-up top brought out the curves in her upper torso. She snapped on her belt around her waist, making sure to hide the silver rimmed red hourglass Black Widow medallion. Her brushed and washed silky black hair fell neatly around her face, perfectly straight without tangles or unnecessary curls. Her long black leather coat brushed fondly around her ankles. So she was dressed up in her Black Widow outfit? It didn’t matter unless someone looked closely and managed to recognize her for who she really was. Besides, she didn’t have anything else appropriate enough to wear to the hottest new club in the city.

            Willow confidently strode down the stairs in her attire. Her hair and jacket floated right down after her. Agatha and Michael glanced up when they felt her presence in the room.

            Mike’s eyes popped out of their sockets. “You’re wearing that?”

            Willow laughed nervously and blushed. “Yeah…well, Pierce and I are going to a club downtown and�"”

            Aggie frowned. “Downtown? Willow…don’t you know how many murderers and rapists are lingering down there? Do you?”

            “You’re wearing that?” Mike asked again in disbelief.

            Willow crossed her arms and frowned.

            “I’m not a kid anymore. You two can’t tell me what to do.”

            Mike stared hard at her. “As long as you’re under our custody and our roof, we will tell you whatever we want to.”

            Willow, you are not going downtown! Do you know how dangerous it is?” Aggie asked hysterically. Mike gave her a look.

            “Go and change, Willow,” Mike snarled. “I don’t want to see you wearing something like…like that again.” He pointed at her cool outfit accusingly.

            Willow pouted. “No. I won’t.”

            Willow, go and change now.”

            “I’m not going to! What’s wrong with going downtown? What’s wrong with this outfit? Why are you two always so offended by what I do?”

            Willow,” Aggie sighed, “it’s�"we’re not offended by anything you do. We just�"”

            “�"want to control me for the rest of my life? Is that what you want?”

            Willow,” Mike warned. “Don’t push it.”

            Aggie placed a gentle hand on each Mike’s and Willow’s shoulders.

            “Not now.” She sighed. “Your date is coming, isn’t he, Willow?”

            Willow nodded. The blood rushed to her face, making it a dark magenta. Her arms were now uncrossed and her hands clenched into hard fists. The countenance on her face was sour.

            “Then the two of you calm down.” Aggie looked at Willow. “I may not approve of what you’re wearing or where you’re planning to go, but…stay in the clothes you’re in. You obviously planned hard for this.”

            Willow’s face softened at Aggie’s sweet smile. She grinned herself.

            “Yeah, I did,” Willow murmured.

            “Don’t let us ruin tonight for you, okay?”

            “Okay…oh, wait!” An idea had struck Willow. “I have to go get something for Pierce.”

            “Go get it, then,” Agatha encouraged.

            Willow smiled a little before turning quickly on her heel and rushing up the stairs. The recent argument buzzed in her mind. No one was against her. She knew that they were just trying to keep her safe and out of harm’s way. It just felt unfair that they were criticizing her decisions. Sometimes she felt that they didn’t understand her when they actually did. It made it all the more frustrating.

            She zoomed under her bed and flashed her eyes around excitedly. She grinned triumphantly when she spotted Pierce’s wrapped gift. She whipped it from under the bed and stood, tucking it carefully under her long coat. Downstairs Willow heard a car pull up in front of the house. A few moments later she detected the sounds of warm and polite welcomes. The mere sound of Pierce’s voice sent her heart into overdrive.

            “Yes, she’s here,” Aggie explained warmly to Pierce. “She just went upstairs to get something. She’ll be right down.”

            Willow made an effort to slow her excited heart by breathing in and out deeply as she walked down the hall and approached the stairs. She descended the stairs and smiled at Pierce’s kind eyes. He turned his gaze on her and grinned.

            “Hey, Will,” Pierce greeted. “Your mom was just telling me about the history of your house. It’s cool that you guys were able to renovate it.”

            “Yes,” Aggie said. She smiled at Willow and whispered, “I like him. He’s cute.”

            A faint flush heated Willow’s cheeks. Pierce was cute, and she was glad that she had gotten to him first before any other girl had.

            “What other things have they tortured you with?” Willow grinned.

            “Nothing else. You pretty much interrupted the beginnings of a lecture,” Pierce teased. He turned to Aggie and Mike. “It was great to meet you guys.”

            Mike smiled in a pleased way. He held out his hand to Pierce. Pierce willingly took it. They shook hands amiably.

            “You, too, Pierce,” Michael added. “You treat Willow well, alright?”

            “Yes, sir, I will. She’s safe with me around.”

            “See you,” Willow said as she exited the house with Pierce at her side. She poked Pierce in the ribs with her elbow. “Drop the act. Don’t act so fancy.”

            Pierce laughed and looked Willow over in a way that made her entire being tingle with pleasure. “Fancy? I seriously doubt that.” Pierce’s smile widened as he leaned in to Willow. “And you look great tonight.”

            “Thank you.” Willow was about to hug Pierce but he eyed the house.

            “They’re still watching us.”

            She rolled her eyes and got into Pierce’s red truck. “Why am I not surprised?”

            Pierce shook his head at her and boarded the driver’s seat.

            “Ready to have some fun, Will?”

            “Always,” Willow purred teasingly.

            “Then let’s go.”

            Pierce backed the truck of the driveway and drove into the city.

            “For Moonscape you’re going to need some kind of ID to prove you’re old enough. Do you�"?”

            Willow smiled wistfully as she pulled out a fake ID and waved it in Pierce’s face.

            “I have one. Viola made it for me when we went to a club…”

            She trailed off. Pierce took Willow’s hand and gave it a squeeze. She smiled at him.

 

_____

 

            “Hey!” Allister laughed as Brian tripped him on the sidewalk. Al got him back by playfully punching him in the back. That knocked him over onto the ground. Allister stood over his friend, smirking down at him.

            Now who’s duped?”

            “All right, all right…I give!” Brian laughed as Allister helped him up off the ground. “I give.” Brian glanced around at the members of the group.

            There was tan Robby with some form of muscles due to his playing sports; red haired Jake the jokester; dark skinned Dan with his shaggy dark brown hair who could be a dork sometimes; pale, blond haired Brian loved his computer games; finally cool, down-to-earth Rick. They all made up one great group that often clashed together with each other. At most times they balanced out pretty well considering the major differences they had. Allister wondered who he was in their mismatched group. He thought himself quite serious but liable to joke when the time was right. He was good at his schoolwork and often had to help Rick because he couldn’t even get through English Literature class without difficulty.

            These were the friends he had made and stuck with since the beginning of his freshman year. The friends he had ditched for at least two months to be friends with Viola and her. Now that it was over with her, his friends had taken him back grudgingly at first. They had forgiven him and teased him just like the old times. They were his brothers and he was theirs. They were a sort of family. They didn’t allow anyone else but themselves to pick on each other. They stood up for each other in times of need. Allister had forgotten how much he had liked them.

            The group chattered and laughed all the way to Moonscape. When they reached it, they stood in line and waited for their turn to enter. Al heard the music throbbing all the way from the outside.     

Rick nudged him in the side. “Hey, Al. You think there are gonna be any hot chicks in there?”

            Al smiled at his best friend. He shrugged. “Maybe. It is the most popular club in Crescent City. I don’t see why not.”

            “Sweet!” Rick exclaimed.

            Al shook at his friend. So typical that he was going to be scouting for girls. He never tired of flirting with them. With Rick, it was a habit to flirt and charm girls. By the end of tonight Al guessed Rick will have gotten the numbers of at least eight different girls.

            Soon Al’s group was at the front of the line. The fee to get in was fifteen bucks. Each person paid their own way in. Al had to lend Rick five bucks to go with his ten because he didn’t have enough.

            “That’s ten dollars you owe me now, Rick,” Al reminded his friend as they entered the club.

            Rick waved him off. “Yeah, yeah…Don’t worry. I’ll pay ya, okay?’

            Al sighed. “I sure hope so.”

            Each person flashed their fake ID at the bouncer; the bouncer nodded once and allowed them entry. As they emerged through the doors and out of the freezing cold, heat enveloped them. Their shivering ceased. Al’s flushed cold cheeks burned at the instant change in temperature. Once his eyes had adjusted to his surroundings, Allister saw that the place was half dark and half-light. In the middle of the room a huge dance floor with a disco ball in the center throbbed with life and popular music. Colored lights flashed over the floor. Dark figures danced and grooved to the DJ’s choices of songs. Right now the DJ was playing SOS by Rihanna.

            Rick smiled as wildly as the others in the group.

            “Yeah! Now this is rockin’!” Rick yelled over the music. “Let’s party, people! Whoo!”

            The group walked to the dance floor with Rick leading everyone. They all moved to the music. Allister’s body got into the gradual habit of flowing and moving with the music. Heat prickled the nape of his neck and a light sheen of sweat coated his skin within minutes. Al smiled and moved while avoiding hitting other people around him. Life throbbed through him and the adrenaline of having fun made him ecstatic.

            His mind and body buzzed. The smile lingered on his lips moments after the song was over and another one began to pulse through the many moving bodies around him.

            Let’s party, he thought.

 

_____

 

            “Will…” Pierce sighed. “Why are you wearing that?”

            Willow glanced up at Pierce. “Nobody will recognize me.”

            Pierce rolled his eyes. “Oh, right. Like you look nothing like the Black Widow.” The sarcasm was light in his words. He was trying to be gentle. “I just don’t want someone…well…recognizing you. I don’t want you…to go to…jail.”

            Willow smiled serenely as Pierce admitted this difficult statement. What the heck was she smiling for? And so peacefully too.

            Willow closed her own hand around Pierce’s on the wheel.

            “It’s sweet that you care that much for me. It means a lot.”

            “You know that I care for you.”

            “Still…” Her violet-red eyes were bright. “Hey…I have something for you, Pierce.”

            “Yeah?”

            “Mmm-hmm. It’s an early Christmas present.” Willow flushed and looked up shyly at Pierce through those long dark lashes of hers. “I picked it out especially for you.”

            Willow unearthed a wrapped package from underneath her long black leather coat. She smiled and placed it on Pierce’s leg. With one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the package, he opened it carefully as he drove. Brushing the wrapping away with a wave of his hand, Pierce rose the gift to eye level. It was a pair of fingerless black gloves used to work out.

            He smiled at the present and then at Willow. He was pleased at her choice. She smiled too.

            “It’s excellent.” With the other hand he handed the gift to Willow. She placed it on the floor. “I love it. I have something for you too. It’s under your seat.”

            Smiling enthusiastically, Willow dug around with one hand under the seat she was sitting in and pulled out a disheveled package that had been poorly wrapped. She opened it and smiled in surprise as she pulled the gift out. It was a pair of black fingerless gloves that went to the elbow. Willow gently hugged Pierce around the waist and pulled away so that he wouldn’t be too distracted. Pierce was flushing slightly, a crooked smile on his lips.

            “Sorry about the wrapping job. I’m not very good at that sort of thing.”

            “But your heart was in the gift,” Willow murmured. “That’s all that matters to me.”

            Willow leaned back into her seat and gazed out the window. Pierce observed Willow out of the corner of his eye. The passing city lights made her raven hair shine blue-black and light up her ivory skin. Her eyes took on a melancholy tone as she daydreamed. Her full lips were pursed together nervously; she was probably thinking of her father. Some imperfections he noticed about her were that there were two tiny scars on her face. One was near her ear, so it couldn’t really be seen, and the other was above her left eyebrow. It slanted diagonally and curved slightly at the end.

            He noted some other things that proved she was human and not a dark angel.

            She’s so beautiful, he thought, and she doesn’t even know it. When I tell her, she sounds like she doesn’t believe it. She should never change. She’s perfectly fine the way she is.

            “Perfectly fine?”

            Pierce’s face went rigid. Did he just say that out loud?

            Willow’s face was confused as she looked at Pierce.

            “Nothing.” Pierce smiled sheepishly. “Just thinking out loud to myself.”

            She nodded. “I do that, too.”

            Willow turned her head back to the window and stared out. Pierce sighed in relief. Next time he would make sure that his thoughts stayed in his head.

 

            Moonscape was packed by the time Willow and Pierce arrived. The line extended all the way to the end of the block. Pierce’s head spun.

            “Do you wanna go someplace else?” Willow asked. She exited the truck, which had been parked in the parking lot adjacent to the club.

            “No way. I didn’t come all the way here for nothing.” He glanced at Willow. “And don’t worry about paying. I have thirty bucks in my wallet to pay for the two of us.”

            “Clever, clever,” Willow purred as she took Pierce’s hand and walked all the way to the end of the line. Her new gloves were soft black leather and felt pleasant against his skin. In fact, just holding Willow’s hand altogether was enough to keep him happy for an entire day. The fact that she liked him was enough to keep him going for all his life.

            It was about ten minutes later when the two finally got to the front of the line. Pierce whipped out his wallet and dutifully paid the fee for both Willow and himself. All the while Willow was smirking at his smugness. What could he say? It felt good to be in charge, even if it was only paying Willow’s way into a club. They showed their Ids. The bouncer barely glanced at them as he waved them in.

            “Did you already have dinner?”

            Willow clenched her teeth. “Yeah…I did. I’m sorry. If we were gonna eat here, I mean. I didn’t know.”

            “No, no, that’s okay. I ate, too.” Relief filled her face. “And it’s good we’re not having dinner here. More time for dancing!”

            “Too true.”

            Willow took his hand again and they breezed in through the entrance. A smile of wonderment burst out onto Willow’s face. Pierce, too, felt impressed as he saw the place. The lights were dimmed and set a laid back, mellow atmosphere for the entire room. The dance floor was thick with a moving crowd. They swayed this way and that with the music.

            Pierce caught a mischievous glint in Willow’s eyes. Before he could protest, Willow pulled him out onto the dance floor with her. Pierce felt self-conscious as he awkwardly moved. But with Willow in front of him smiling encouragingly and the music drawing him in, his muscles lost their tension and swayed with the motion of Willow’s body. They danced as if they were one being, one person. Willow’s long mane of black hair waved around as she moved, hypnotizing Pierce. Adrenaline beat through his body; it was the exact same buzz he got while he sparred.

            Pierce smiled as Willow smiled and took her hand. He twirled her around enthusiastically on the floor. The disco and colored lights from above bathed the crowd in purple, bright green, hot pink, lemon yellow rays, and the disco silvery squares. More colors transcended and transiented in-between. It was almost as if everything was with him right at that moment, that everything was right. Willow in his arms, the two smiling, the music throbbing around them…but the noise faded away and silence was in the background. It was just the two as they danced.

            Willow twirled as Pierce spun her and danced close to him. They were finally together as they should be. Happiness bonded the two and they kept dancing as if there weren’t a care in the world.

            Things were wonderful.

_____

 

            The six, which included himself, moved out in the darkness of alleyways and in the shadows of the buildings of Crescent City. Each breath they inhaled and exhaled was silent, little clouds rising up into the air with each exhale. Fleming followed Severin, as did the other four men.

            Before they had moved out, a last report on Pierce and Willow’s locations came up from a spy. He had said they were at the Moonscape for their date. Severin’s lips curled into a small smile. It was just beginning.

            All gloating thoughts vanished the second they were out on the streets. Though he had been long gone from the upper world, Severin still had to be on the lookout for police. He was still a very much-wanted criminal. Of course, not as wanted as his daughter was. It had actually been Nemesis killing and stealing those many times. She was the strange girl the media of Crescent City was currently buzzing about. She and Willow looked so much alike, but they were sisters through his own blood.

            But he wouldn’t object to the Black Widow’s reputation being discolored. It actually pleased him.

            “Forward, undercover,” Severin hissed silently.

            The five men willingly obeyed their commander and snuck forward in the cover of darkness and crept towards Moonscape. They were so close, he was so close. They snuck into the alley that separated the right of the building from the left side of the building next to the club. They settled down. Who knew how long it would be before Willow and her boyfriend came out the building? Now it was time to wait. For anything. For her. He knew things could change.. Most likely they would change for Willow.

 

_____

 

            Get This Part Started by Pink throbbed on the air, Allister matched his body rhythm to that of the song’s. Just as he looked around at his friends, a familiar face caught his eye. Al tried to turn away before she could see him, but the crowd forced him to stay where he was.

            “Allister?”

            Al grimaced before turning his head.

            Willow stood there with a guy by her side. He had his arm around her waist, drawing her close to him. He had a neat buzz cut and he had finely toned muscles. Jealousy burned deep in his heart. He knew who the guy was. Willow didn’t have to say a word in order to explain her comfortable closeness to him.

            Willow.”

            “I-it’s…I didn’t know you’d be here…” Her voice was faint. She smiled politely at him. The action was bland.

            “Same here,” Allister muttered stiffly.

            The guy by her side was glancing curiously between the two.

            “You two know each other?” he asked.

            Willow nodded a little. The buoyancy she had a minute ago disappeared.

            “Yeah, we do. This is Allister.”

            If Al didn’t know better, he thought he saw flames erupt in the guy’s eyes. His left hand clench into a fist. He kept his composure well. He didn’t reveal anything.

            “Allister this is Pierce.”

            Al nodded and Pierce gave a tight smile. Allister didn’t like this guy.  The way Willow said his name…it made him furious. More than furious, even. Something indescribable. It felt like hell.

            “Great to…um…meet you, Pierce,” Al said darkly.

            Pierce narrowed his eyes. “Same here.”

            Before anything could happen, Willow placed a gentle, but firm, hand on Pierce shoulder and turned him away.

            “Well…it was nice seeing you…Allister. Again.”

            Willow and Pierce faded into the crowd. Allister then noticed that his fists were clenched and his teeth were gritted. He had been ready for a fight. He had a big reason to show that guy. How he wished to show him! Reason overdid his mind as he gradually calmed down He joined his friends and kept on dancing.

            Instead of fighting, he sent all his pent-up anger into dancing. His moves were feral and furious, wild and untamed. It made the others around him stare strangely at him. He didn’t care. Al had to get the bad energy out. Every single ounce of its negativity. It worked. His muscles lubricated and his body settled into a serene lapse of wild energy. The music captured him, pulling him once again into its embrace.

            But the anger remained. The anger and how he proved he still cared for Willow more than he felt he should.

 

_____

 

            Willow dragged Pierce into a dark corner of the club and took a breath.

            “What were you doing?” she whispered harshly.

            Pierce narrowed his eyes. “That was the guy who slapped you, isn’t he? The one who used to be your friend?”

            “Yes,” Willow admitted through gritted teeth.

            Pierce looked down at Willow with protective eyes.

            “Then you should’ve let me beat him when I had the chance.”

            “No.”

            “Why? He hurt you!”

            “He did.” Willow narrowed her own eyes and fiercely stared up at Pierce. “But that doesn’t mean you can go and make a scene in a public place! You could’ve been arrested if you’d started a fight!”

            “And you could be arrested for just wearing that outfit,” Pierce shot back quietly. “Anyone here could easily mistake you for the Black Widow.”

            “That’s not the point!” Willow fumed silently at Pierce. “The point is that I don’t want you to go to jail!” She sighed and wrapped her arms around herself. “I care way too much for you.”

            Pierce’s resolve softened and he wrapped his arms around Willow from behind her.

            “If you see him again…control yourself. Please? For me?” Willow asked.

            “For you,” Pierce whispered into her ear. “But if I have him alone, I won’t hesitate to punch him.”

            “Control yourself.”

            Pierce hugged Willow tighter. Pink’s song finished and another came on. Willow recognized the band. Evanescence’s Call Me When You’re Sober. Very cool. Willow dragged Pierce out onto the dance floor and they bobbed their heads to the guitars.

            “You like Evanescence?” he shouted over the music.

            Willow laughed in response. He took that as a yes.

            “Can’t keep believing…we’re only deceiving ourselves and I’m sick of the lie…”

            Pierce and Willow danced together to Amy’s powerful words. The emotion was true. Willow still could feel the tension radiating from Pierce as his body moved with hers. Soon his body lubricated and they moved fluidly and bobbed harshly. Before she knew it, the song had finished and another had begun. A big smile filled Willow’s face.

            “Cool,” she said.

            Pierce rose an eyebrow at her. Her throat was partly dry, and apparently so was Pierce’s for he dragged her over to the bar and ordered ice cold Cokes. They sat on the barstools and laughed.

            “I’ve never had so much fun before,” Willow laughed.

            “You’re glad we came here, then?”

            “Definitely.” Willow took a sip of her Coke and leaned into Pierce’s face. “But I like being with you even more.”

            Pierce flushed, but kept his composure. He smiled back and leaned in to her face. She smiled at his closeness. Pierce turned his eyes to his drink and took a big gulp. Willow smirked at him and drank her own drink.

            “You’re too much.”

            “Really?” Willow smiled a little. “How so?”

            “You’re just you. You’re not afraid to be what you wanna be.” His turned his eyes to Willow. “That’s what I like about you.”

            Willow leaned her elbow on the bar’s counter and placed her chin in her hand. “I thought you liked everything about me.”

            “That’s just one of many things. I do like everything about you.”

            She raised her eyebrows. “You’re so sweet. That’s what I like about you.”

            Pierce smiled gently at her. She smiled sweetly back.

 

_____

 

            Pierce took Willow’s hand and led her away from the bar and up the stairs to the second floor where music pulsed just as loudly on the first floor. People stood around and chattered in corners where the music wasn’t loudest. Others danced to the music and looked down upon the DJ from the balcony that overlooked the dancing crowd on the first floor.

            “Where are we going?”

            “You’ll see.”

Pierce squeezed Willow’s gloved hand. A small smile appeared on her lips; Pierce was too busy to notice.

            He navigated carefully through the clumps of people until they had reached the dark purple and black wall on the other side. He wandered around and knew that Willow must be puzzled by what he was doing. Pierce knew where he was going. The club had a stairway that led to the roof like most two-story buildings in Crescent City. Two story buildings and taller.

            In the flashing darkness, Pierce found the door and climbed up it before anyone could see them.

            “Pierce�"? What the�"?”

            “It’s okay. We can talk more easily up here.”

            Willow found out that “up here” meant on the roof of Moonscape. Pierce opened the door at the end of the stairway they had climbed. Willow smiled and took in the view. The two walked hand in hand over the paved surface of the roof. Pipes lined the surface of the ground and led to a large metal box. Willow sat on the box and Pierce joined her.

            Pierce looked out at the city’s horizon. The lights glimmered and shimmered, winking up at them like stars. The red, white, and blue lights of the traffic below lit up the streets. The sounds of the city enveloped them. It was more beautiful and serene than he could have ever imagined.

            What Pierce didn’t know was that someone had followed them and was watching from the stairway door.

 

_____

 

            The two sat there and talked in low voices. They were so close to each other as they looked down over Crescent City’s horizon. Allister didn’t want to care, didn’t want to love Willow anymore. But it was too late now. He couldn’t give it up. He had followed her; maybe to apologize, maybe to start a fight. He wasn’t sure of his intentions. He kept watching them.

            He leaned against the cold brick wall and felt the cold air swirl around him. It made him shiver. He was glad he had left his jacket on instead of removing it when it became too unbearable from the heat that dancing brought to his body. He slowed his breathing and dared listen to their words.

           

_____

 

            Willow?”

            “Hmm?”

            Pierce moved closer to Willow. “You’re a great person. Never change.”

            “Why would I change?”

            “Anything could happen in-between now and tomorrow.”

            Willow nodded. “Yeah, it could.”

            The two were silent. Willow breathed in the ice-cold air and a light tingle ran down her spine. Something was going to happen. Good or bad, she couldn’t tell.

            Dark gray clouds gathered in the heavens above; the night grew colder as a fierce wind plowed through Pierce and Willow’s bodies. She shuddered madly, hugging herself with both arms. Pierce wrapped an arm around Willow’s shoulders and drew her closer. Her warmth melded with his. Suddenly she didn’t feel quite as cold as before. She felt the pulse of Pierce’s heart in his chest as she laid her head down peacefully on it.

            Before she knew it, everything suddenly became still as a paused movie�"the world so calm you could sigh softly and you could hear it clearly. Something slowly drifted down from the sky; too light to be rain or hail. It was as light as a feather, floating down gently, and pure white, untainted by the city’s pollution.

            It was the first snow.

            Willow smiled gently to herself. It reminded her so fondly of all those years ago at Christmastime it would snow and Willow and Lily would throw themselves into the pure white stuff and merrily made snow angels. She remembered, and it was only half-painful this time. She was happier. Pierce’s presence made her feel lighter than air. He was there, she was there…they were with each other. That’s all that mattered.

            She rose her head to the sky. Snowflakes landed on her flushed face and melted quickly because of her body heat. She smiled. Pierce watched her joy and smiled, too. Snow caught in the individual ebony hairs of her head. Willow’s nose ran from the frigid cold and her entire scalp was now somewhat moist.

            Willow turned her head down to Pierce’s. He, too, had been staring up at the sky. He turned his own head down to Willow and smiled softly at her. Snow piled at their feet. His dark brown hair glistened with the moistness of recently melted snow. He looked absolutely gorgeous to her with his chiseled features and masculine shoulders.

            Pierce slipped his hands underneath Willow’s own and stroked them gently. Willow smiled a little to herself and blushed. His action churned her heart with affection. It showed that he did care even if he didn’t always show it. Just so gently, Pierce placed a heated hand on her cheek. Willow gazed up at him shyly. A stronger blush heated her face. Their breath came out in clouds of white puffs.

            Willow.”

            “Yes?”

            Pierce glanced at her nervously and took in some bravado.

            “I care for you so much…a-and…”

            “Yes?” Willow asked timidly. Her voice was soft, but was heard by Pierce.

            “I care so much for you. I-it’s more than that. Willow�"I…I…I love you.”

            Willow smiled sweetly at him. It warmed Pierce.

            “I love you, too,” she murmured. “I always have.”

            Hearing this, Pierce smiled, too. Willow knew that he had been afraid that she would have rejected him. Willow would never reject Pierce. Not for the world or her life. She savored his touch. Electricity sparked through her. She wanted to do something she had never done before in her entire life…a simple expression that meant everything…

            Pierce’s smile faded and he gazed deep into Willow’s eyes intently. She felt something deeper as he leaned into her…a deep longing in her chest waiting to be filled by him. She leaned in, too, but pulled away gently.

            Dazedly, Pierce gave her a questioning, puzzled look.

            “What’s wrong, Willow?” he whispered.

            Willow pursed her lips a little as she looked at him.

            “There’s something I need to tell you. You know my abilities, right?”

            Pierce nodded. She went on.

            “Well…you know when you tried to kiss me before? There’s a reason behind that…there’s this one ability that I’m not sure I have complete control over.”

            “What is it?”

            “It’s…it’s…poison.” Pierce’s eyes widened. “In my…lips. I don’t know if I can control it or not…seriously…”

            She waited for rejection; it didn’t come. She glanced at Pierce, who was so close to her. He gazed at her with eyes full of deep longing and love. Love Willow had never experienced until now.

            “Then we’ll just have to find out, now do we?” he murmured. A smile lingering on his lips.

            His hands found her cheeks. He massaged them gently with his thumbs. It calmed Willow.

            “Pierce, what�"?”

            But her words were cut off.

            Pierce deeply pressed his lips into Willow’s. Willow was shocked, her eyes widened in surprise. The softness of his lips against hers calmed her down and lulled her. She closed her eyes and flowed all the love she possessed in her heart into the kiss. Pierce smiled and kissed her even deeper. Willow wrapped her arms around his neck and relished their tiny world.

            When the two came up for breath, opened her eyes halfway and smiled softly at Pierce. He smiled back. Then, more tenderly, he kissed her on the lips again. Willow smiled into the kiss and the happiness flowed through her. Her heart was full; she knew that she would burst open any minute from being overwhelmed with so much love. They were one.          

So long had she been waiting, and nothing oozed from her lips. Pierce was safe, and she was too. Now they could be together finally without anyone threatening their existence.

            They pulled away. Their hot breath mingled together, warming their faces. The tips of both their noses touched lightly. Pierce drank in Willow’s flushed face. The tiny snowflakes caught in her eyelashes and melting; his hands in her dark hair; her pale face glowing in radiance; her lips and eyes glittering with a smile. He cupped her face in both his hands. They kissed once more, knowing what their true places.

 

_____

 

            “Sir…I have a lock on the girl’s location,” said one of his men.

            A smile curled Severin’s lips upward.

            “Time to move, boys. Where is she?”

            The man pointed up to the roof. Severin’s smile stretched wider.

            “I’m feeling young again.” He held out his hand and another man placed something in them. “Anyone fancy a climb?”

            He laughed quietly at his pun. “Ready yourselves, men. It’s time to scale this thing.”

            They strapped on some sort of pads to their gloves and boots and began to climb up the side of the club. The men, including Fleming, had the exact same training as each other. They were ready for anything that came their way.

            When they completed scaling the building and reached the top, Severin was the first to peek out over the edge. He saw Willow walking hand-in-hand with Pierce, her boyfriend. They smiled at each other as they walked slowly. Severin crawled quietly up and neared them. He reached for the gun in the thing slung across his back. He transferred the gun from his right had to his left, his shooting hand.

            Severin clicked the gun. Pierce looked around and saw Severin as he appeared into the open. As Severin pulled the trigger, the entire moment was slow motion. Pierce ran in front of Willow to protect her. Severin smiled. The moment sped up.

            Pierce fell to the ground with a muffled groan. Willow looked dumbstruck down at Pierce. She lowered herself gently to his side and tenderly turned his body up to face her. He moaned loudly. The shot had been silent and no one around had heard it. Willow stroked Pierce’s face, murmuring words so quiet that he couldn’t hear.

            Willow glared up at Severin with the same threatening malice he himself could inflict. She rose from the ground and straightened her figure. Her black boots crunched in the snow on the ground.

            Severin smiled. “Hello, Willow. I’m back.”

            Willow clenched her fists and raced for him.

 

_____

 

            Pierce groaned as Willow turned him over.

            “Pierce…stay with me…I love you too much for you to go…”

            Those words she had whispered resonated in his delirious mind. He heard something else, but the pain in his stomach was too much. He moaned in agony. It was so sharp.

            It…it has to stop…has to stop, he thought deliriously. Has to stop…

            But it didn’t stop. The pain grew sharper. His vision became fainter. Blood pooled along his side. What was happening? He had to protect Willow…or else Severin could kill her…He couldn’t kill her. Pierce loved Will too much.

            His breathing was quick and labored. Blood bubbled up his throat. The taste was sharp. He wanted to close his eyes so much. Where was Willow? He couldn’t think. It was all too sharp…too much. He blinked, closing his eyes for a long moment and opened them again.

 

_____

 

            “Hello, Willow. I’m back.” He smiled maniacally.

            Willow’s fists clenched and she raced for him. Severin quickly slipped his gun back into his sling and dodged Willow’s blow. He did a powerful sidekick to her upper torso and knocked her to the ground. Her side was bruised from the intense impact and the snow chilled her body.

            Willow crawled to over where Pierce was lying and stroked his hair. She looked up meanly at Severin.

            “Willow…”

Pierce’s breaths came in short, labored gasps.

            “I’m here,” she murmured. “I’m not…going to leave you.” Her voice choked up with tears. She fought to control her emotions.

            “What’s wrong, Willow? Your boyfriend dying?” Severin taunted calmly. The mocking in his voice enraged her. She wanted to kill him.

            She stared up from Pierce’s face at her evil father. She stood and moved in front of Pierce, guarding him in case Severin tried anything.

            “What do you want?” she snarled.

            “Control yourself, my dear.” His smile grew wider. His eyes glowed threateningly like hers. They matched. “I just want you dead is all.”

            He pulled out a knife. Willow back up and knelt down next to Pierce. She kissed his lips gently and pulled away, her face still close to his face.

            “Willow…I-I…feel horrible…”

            Willow placed a hand onto Pierce’s now pale cheek. The blood was draining from his face. Cold sweat dampened his skin.

            “It hurts, I know. But I’m here…o-okay? Don’t leave.”

            Severin smiled at this. She would wait to kill him. Pierce needed her.

 

_____

 

            The pain in his stomach was becoming more unbearable by the second. His heart was slowing; blood spilt over the ground from his side and underneath him. It stained the white snow a bright red.

            “It hurts, I know. But I’m here…o-okay? Don’t leave,” Willow pleaded. She stroked his face and kissed him quickly again.

            “Willow…I-I…love you…”

            “I know.” Willow was sobbing. “I-I know you do…I l-love you too, Pierce. Don’t leave…”

            Pierce smiled at her weakly.

            “I’m not…uh…going to leave…I’ll be with you…you know t-that…ah…”

            “Please…please, God don’t leave…please don’t leave…”

            Pierce kissed Willow gently for a last time before he heaved his last breath and his heart stopped forever.

 

_____

 

            Severin chuckled low and evilly. Willow’s sobs erupted into the night.

            “Pierce! PIERCE! Wake up! Please…don’t leave me…please…PIERCE! NO!” Her cries were heartbreaking. It was the sweetest sound Severin had ever heard. His evil smile grew wider.

 

            Willow’s face crumpled and she stroked Pierce’s now cold face.

            “Please…Pierce,” she murmured. Her voice cracked. She gulped in a breath. “PIERCE!”

            Willow collapsed, sobbing, onto Pierce’s still body. The blood soaked into her clothing, but she took no notice. She felt as if she were dying. He had died for her…all for her. Just as he bled for her, she bled for him. Her heart ached. She was the sacrifice. It was for her.

            She buried her face into his shoulder. Darkness overtook her poor heart. Everything became raw and reality didn’t seem to exist anymore. The world was broken; her world. Nothing would fix it ever again.

            She heard her father’s words and slowly raised her head. Her raw heart felt something else. Something hot. Anger. Fire burned within her eyes as she stared at Severin. Him.        

 

“Get up, girl. Stop sobbing and control yourself.”

            Willow went silent, her figure rigid. Slowly she rose from the ground and turned around to face Severin. Her pale face was very flushed, her cheeks stained from tears. But her eyes were more threatening than he had ever seen. It nearly scared Severin.

            You killed everyone I ever loved. You inflicted pain upon me and my loved ones. You ruined my life.” Her fuming silenced. The one word came out stiffly. “Why?”

            For the first time he had encountered Willow that night, Severin’s became serious.

            “Why? There are so many reasons. I couldn’t even begin to explain to you.”

            Willow thrusted a kick at Severin’s head. The action caught him by surprise and knocked him to the group. Willow stuck the toe of her boot into her father’s throat.

            “Then tell me something.” Severin began to choke as she squashed his windpipe. “Why did you kill my mother? Lily Halliwell?”

            Severin broke out into a grin and nodded. Willow relieved just a little bit of pressure from his throat so he could speak.

            “Your mother looked like you. You’re like her. But more like me.” He went on with it because Willow’s eyes turned threatening again. “I killed her because she refused to hand you over to me.”

            “For what?” Willow prodded. “Talk!”

            “An experiment having to do with genetically altered soldiers. The government refused my brilliant idea and me so I took it out myself. Illegally.”

            “How do I fit into this? Why did you have to kill Pierce?”

            “He was in the way. He knew too much. I was going to kill him anyway.” He smiled and continued. “You are special, Willow. So special. Even you don’t realize it.”

            Willow let down her guard. “What the heck are you talking about?”

            It was then Severin struck.

 

_____

 

            Severin kicked Willow in the throat with the heel of his foot. She fell to the ground choking. She was special? What the heck was he talking about? She concentrated more on gathering her breath. She didn’t know what for. Severin bent over Willow.

            “I couldn’t find the right specimen before, so I created one myself.” Willow’s eyes questioned him. “I had studied my DNA and saw that there was something in it that made me immune to the serum. But it didn’t work on me because at that time my body had stopped the process of developing and began to grow old. I knew that I needed something that held the same…link in my own DNA that resisted the damaging effects of the serum.

            “Therefore, I targeted a young, college girl who, too, had the rare link. Her name? Lily Amelia Halliwell.” Willow’s eyes widened. She gathered her breath and pulled herself to her feet. She listened. “And you know what I did? One night I attended a sorority party, the same one your mother was at. I spiked the punch, knowing Lily would drink some. Who wouldn’t? Yes…she became drunk. I led her into a bedroom and�"”

            Willow narrowed her eyes. “Raped her.”

            Severin smiled. “Now you understand. A month later, she found out that she was pregnant with you. I knew then that my plan was launching successfully into action. When you were six and of age to insert the Black Widow serum into your blood, I came to collect you. Your mother resisted, and I did the only thing I could do if she wouldn’t give me you. I killed her.”

            “You killed her…”

            “Yes…”

            “YOU! SON OF A B***H!”

            Willow threw a punch at Severin, but he caught her fist expertly and punched her in the face. She was thrown back onto the ground in front of Pierce’s body. She grunted. Her bruised side hurt even more. Scratches covered her pale face and skin; her face was badly bruised black and blue. It all hurt like hell.

            Quickly, she threw herself back up and the two circled each other. Severin attacked quietly. She punched him as hard as she could. Then, she kicked him the ground. Severin rose up. His body shook with pain, but he still smiled. It angered her. Fury pounded in her heart. She attacked and knocked him to the ground when Willow heard the click of guns around her. She glanced up in surprise.

            Around her were five men. They held their guns to her. Severin smiled from where she had pinned him.

            “You attack me one more time, Willow, and it’s your life that’s the price. Give up.”

            “No. Not for what you did. You’re the one who should die, not me.”

            “Things aren’t working out in your favor. Now’s the time to give up. This isn’t the time to fight.”

            Willow released him, but once she had, Severin punched her in the face and joined his circle of men. He smiled and was about to shoot her…

            Police sirens screamed, sailing up the streets towards the Moonscape. Severin smiled a little at Willow as she rose from the ground shakily. Pain pulsed through her entire skull.

            “Another day, Willow. You’ll have your chance.”

            Pierce gathered up his men and disappeared. Meanwhile, police officers stormed through the first floor of the building. The stairway door opened slowly and Allister nervously poked his head out.

 

_____

 

            What he had seen…what he had heard…he could barely take it all in. Who was this guy that attacked Willow? What was with the “Black Widow serum” stuff? And…the Pierce guy was dead…His eyes widened in horror.

            The snow, he saw as he opened the door, was stained with blood. Willow stood staring out at the edge of the building. Her black coat and raven hair flapped in the wind. The snow came down even harder than before. She looked like someone he had seen before…an infamous urban legend…

            “W-w…Willow?”

            She turned her head towards the sound of his voice. She, too, widened her eyes.

            Willow? What�"?”

            “Al…” She sighed. “Forgive me. Not now. I don’t have much time before the police come and�"”

            Her words were cut off as the police burst out of the stairway door.

            “Freeze! Black Widow, you’re under arrest for murder and theft of--”

            But Willow had disappeared, swinging through the city.

            Willow,” Allister murmured silently.

            “All units fan through the city. I repeat, all units fan through the city.” The lead officer barked into his radio. “The Black Widow has escaped.”

 

_____

 

            Things would change, Severin knew.

            He and his men raced through the city and away from the club. They ran through dark alleys and avoided any people in case they were seen. They disappeared into the sewers, which would lead to Crescent City’s Underworld.

            He would wait for another chance. Another chance to kill Willow Halliwell.

            But not now, for things would change. Oh yes, they would change.

 

_____

 

            Willow rushed through the city and rode the sky with the help of her spider string. She was neither Arachne nor herself, but perhaps something in-between the two. She couldn’t know. She hurt inside too much to know.

            Tears escaped her eyes. Everyone she loved had left her, had all been killed by the one man who wanted her dead. She wanted to kill him even worse than ever. The pain mingled with her thirst for vengeance and justice. It powered her with an empty fury, blinding her as she flew through the buildings of Crescent City. The darkness embraced her once more and she welcomed it. She was consumed completely by it. It numbed her pain and gave her false strength.

            She made her escape to the rundown part of Crescent City; it was the part no one dared live in anymore. She flew through the rundown factories and near abandoned apartment buildings. The darkness of the night welcomed her. Her eyes glowed in sadness and hate. Everything was tangled up within her. She didn’t have time to sort it out now.

            Things were going to change.



© 2011 E.V. Black


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on May 15, 2011
Last Updated on May 15, 2011


Author

E.V. Black
E.V. Black

About
My name is E.V. Black and I am honored that you have decided to peruse my profile. I started my writing career at a young age and have been writing for a very long time. I write in practically every f.. more..

Writing
Illusion Illusion

A Poem by E.V. Black


Why? Why?

A Poem by E.V. Black