Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Fearless603


My name is Skylar Blackwood.
And for the past 2 years, I have known about them, inherited ‘the sight’. 
When I say them I mean the dark, mysterious fey. And by ‘the sight’ I mean I’m one of the few people in the mortal realm who can actually see all fey. Unless of course they willingly let down their invisibility guard, and allow humans to see them. I know what you’re thinking. Faeries right? Sounds stupid I know. Faeries don’t exist. Well I’m afraid to say that you are wrong. I hadn’t known they existed until a few years ago. But every moment of my life I curse the day I ever found out about them. My life has been hell. Always having to be alert, looking over your shoulder in case something was creeping up on you. It’s tiring. And annoying beyond imagining. Several times I have thought about telling my family about them, but each time I have thought better of it, stopping myself. There was no need to bring mom into it. Or Isabel, my younger sister for that matter. They would only end up like me and that was the last thing I wanted. So I remained silent.

My alarm went off at 7am. Groaning I reached my hand out from under the covers and fiddled with the clock, hitting it feebly. When the continuous ringing blared in my ears I sighed in frustration, bringing my clenched fist down on the top of it. Abruptly it stopped, and I sank back, closing my eyes again. It had been a long night, and I was hoping to catch a few more minutes sleep before I got up and changed for school. Only moments seemed to pass before my bedroom door swung open and Sadie came crashing onto my bed, greeting me with warm wet kisses all over my face. I swatted at her, my eyes still closed “Stop it Sadie” I groaned, shrinking deeper into the safety of my covers.
“Happy birthday!” I opened my eyes a crack to see Isabel scampering into my room, jumping onto the bed next to Sadie “Wakey wakey rise and bakey!” she yelled excitedly. I closed my eyes again, knowing that now I definitely wouldn’t get anymore sleep and opened them. I smiled faintly, sitting upright. I cringed as a dull pain shot through my shoulder. Grimly I remembered last night. How close I came to almost losing my life to a bunch of evil red caps and winced at the memory. Mom came into my room holding a tray. The scent of bacon and eggs drifted towards me and I sighed, my thoughts drifting away from the fey for just a moment. Breakfast in bed. I thought, smiling as they approached. Mom sat on the edge of my bed, pushing Sadie off and laying the tray down,
“Happy 17th birthday sweetie” she said in that usual soft tone I loved. It was hard to believe I was finally 17.
I smiled, rubbing my eyes with palms of my hands, still a little sore from last night’s escape. “Thanks mum” I yawned, ruffling Isabel’s long blond hair as I did so. 
I looked past Isabel to my bedroom window, my eyes still a little blurry. A small winged creature was perched just outside, looking directly at me with berry black eyes. It didn’t move, just stared. I felt alarmed, seeing the piskie there on my windowsill. I could tell mom sensed my mood for she regarded me with a confused look in her eyes, 
“Skylar? Are you alright?” she looked over her shoulder.
I was glad she couldn’t see them like I could. “Yeah mom, I’m ok” I reassured her. When she still didn’t look back at me I thought quickly, picking up the first of my birthday cards. “So um who’s this from?” I asked, and her attention finally snapped back to me. 
After a moment she nodded, her eyes happy once again. I risked a glance at the window to find the piskie gone and let out a breath of relief. “Well that ones from your sister” Mom told me and I opened the card. Isabel shifted from foot to foot. But I wasn’t sure if in excitement or nervousness.
“Do you like it Skylar? Do you?”

I walked out of the house wearing a pair of skinny jeans and a tank top. Another long day at school was what I didn’t need right now. Hopping onto my mo-ped I started the ignition and pulled out onto the road.
It wasn’t long before I reached the school. Soaring up into the sky and casting long shadows across the courtyard. I removed the key from my bike, kicking the metal stand and glanced around. A few students roamed the area, either walking in groups or by themselves. I couldn’t help but feel a prick of unease. Something wasn’t right. 
Sighing I got off my bike and swung my school bag over my non-damaged shoulder, stuffing my keys into my jeans pocket. Several people turned to look at me as I passed but I ignored them, fighting the urge to turn and ask them what they were looking at. Of course everyone would stare at the strange girl who could see what wasn’t there. Over the months I had even gained the name ‘freak’ or ‘weirdo’. I had chosen to ignore the insults obviously. Not caring what other people thought. I knew I could see things no one else could. I knew I was different.
Rolling my eyes I walked up the steps and pushed my way through the double doors into the school.
I was walking down the hallway when an excited squeal broke through my thoughts and I turned just as Kelsie crashed into me, wrapping her arms around my shoulders and drawing me into a brief hug “Happy birthday Sky!” her gorgeous green eyes were bright as she pulled back, keeping me at arm’s length “17 years old! Finally!” I grinned and looked over her shoulder as Daniel came walking up behind Kelsie, a smile plastered on his face. Dan was Kelsie’s boyfriend. They had been together almost 3 years now. And already it was like they had never been apart.
“Happy 17th birthday Skylar” He smiled at me and I smiled back, looking at them both 
“thanks” I replied, repositioning my backpack. Wincing at my shoulder.
“How does it feel to be 17?” Kelsie’s voice was light and friendly as she looked at me. I shrugged “It feels no different to being 16”
She pursed her lips, nodding thoughtfully. “Well at least you’re old enough to legally go out now” She grinned “We can go clubbing together! And we can drink, and have parties..” 
I walked alongside her and Dan, heading toward our first class. Kelsie chattered on about all the things we could do now that I was old enough. I felt a spark of amusement at her enthusiasm. 
“She’s being going on and on about this all morning” I heard Dan’s groan next to me and glanced at him. I could tell he was feeling just as amused as I was. “She’s really excited”
“I’d say she’s a little too excited” I replied, only half joking. “Now that we are coming to the end of the semester there’s going to be a lot of well-needed studying for our exams” My spirit sunk a little at the mention of studying. There was going to be a lot of things to revise for.
Dan smirked “Oh, well I wouldn’t worry too much about that. If I were you I would worry more about what Mrs Braxton is going to say when she finds out your late to her class again.”
I looked up, alarmed. I hadn’t realized the bell had gone, too busy lost in conversation and my own thoughts.
“Crap! Kelsie we are going to be late” Picking up the pace I reached the bottom of the hallway, Dan and Kelsie following close behind. I looked back, seeing Kelsie give her boyfriend a quick kiss on the lips before she turned and hurried up to me. Dan waved at us and continued down the hallway, heading to his own class. Together we entered the classroom just as the last few students were taking their seats and I quickly hurried over to my own seat in the second from back row, next to Kelsie’s. Thankfully Mrs Braxton hadn’t realized we were late and didn’t hesitate before beginning her lesson. I slumped back in my seat and listened as the old woman introduced a new student to the class.
”Mornin’ class. Today we have a new student. This is Robbie Goodfell.” I looked up from where I had positioned my pencil case and text book on the desk and immediately I stiffened.
There, across the room stood a boy. Not just any old guy though. This one was strikingly handsome, with sharp, defined cheekbones and perfectly symmetrical features. As he breathed his broad chest swelled, and his long arms hung strongly at his sides. He had crimson hair, spiked up atop of his head. 
A Faerie. 
But not just any Faerie
I knew instantly that this boy wasn’t just any random member of the fey, that’s was for sure. I knew who he was. Luckily I was the only one who could see the pointed ears sticking out from each side of his head. I felt that sudden unease I had felt earlier build up inside again. Shakespeare’s play ‘a midsummer night’s dream’ crashed into mind and I gaped. The famous prankster. Known for playing the most mischievous of tricks. Always cheerful-
Robin Goodfellow.
Was I just imagining things? Could this really be the famous Robin Goodfellow? The Faerie who was infamous in so many old Faerie tales? I sighed to myself in frustration. No, of course not.
Excited whispers rose up from one corner of the class room where four girls, their hair perfectly styled and their faces made up blushed, murmuring to each other and giving the fey boy flirtatious looks. I snorted silently and turned my eyes back to the front of the class room. The fey boy was looking directly at me, a wide grin stretched across his face. His eyes boring into mine. My breath caught in my throat as I saw how beautiful they were. A bright icy green. Before I got too engrossed I tore my gaze away, breaking eye contact. What was a Faerie doing here? In my school? Was he here to spy on me? A sudden thought struck me. Does he know I can see The Fey? The thought alarmed me and I fought the urge to just get up right then and question him. Or simply go and hide in the girl’s bathroom and think this through. Like i pretty much did with every other of my problems.
I held my breath and risked a glance in his direction. He wasn’t looking at me anymore. 
I watched as Mrs Braxton directed him to one of the seats. And he didn’t hesitate. Walking down the Centre of the classroom he took the desk behind me. With a final sniff in Robbie’s direction she began her lesson.
It seemed like hours had passed before the end of class bell rang. I hadn’t been paying much attention. So many thoughts were swirling through my mind. Robin Goodfellow. If it was him that is, here in my school. Could this really be happening? And, if Puck really did exist, then that would mean King Oberon and Queen Titania must be real after all.

“Did you see that boy?” Kelsie hissed as she walked beside me, clutching her books to her chest “I thought I might have fallen off my seat!” I nodded, glancing back to find Robbie surrounded by a group of girls, twisting their hair around their fingers and fluttering their eyelashes. He didn’t seem to be bothered by their ‘friendly’ chit chat, a smile plastered on his face the whole time as he talked to them. A second later, as if he sensed someone was looking at him his eyes darted to mine. I quickly turned my head away, my legs and arms a little stiff. I could feel his gaze on the back of my neck as he watched us leave “Em, yeah” I replied. We rounded a corner and I finally relaxed, glad to be out of sight from the Faerie. “I did”
We met Dan in the hallway, and together we all walked to next period. 



© 2015 Fearless603


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this! Dark fairy tales and romance are sooo good together. If you like vampire, demons, and anything supernatural u can check out my story Paranatura. More chapters will be uploaded pretty quickly.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
1 Review
Added on March 17, 2015
Last Updated on March 17, 2015


Author

Fearless603
Fearless603

-, -, United Kingdom



About
My Likes; Rock music/Bands such as Fall out boy, My chemical Romance, All time low, Lower than Atlantis. Reading and writing; Anything from Fantasy to Romance. Art; Drawing, painting and photography.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Fearless603


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Fearless603


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Fearless603