Chapter 10 I Hear You

Chapter 10 I Hear You

A Chapter by ALittleBitOfEverything

I awoke to smell lavendar and sweet roses and jasmin, I rolled within the duvet and inhaled the jasmin more stronger. I groaned from sleep and reached to the bedside table, fumbling and shivering when my fingers came across a cold vase...No, a lamp. I felt the switch and most of the room was lit.
                    I scanned the light room. The white walls perfect, with purple swirls painted on, like stories. A clear glass chandelier hung high in the ceiling. I looked to the left and seen a large wooden wardrobe, a white dresser a few feet away from it and a beautiful lilac rug in front of the wardrobe. Opposite the wardrobe was a crystal white vanity table and a pretty mirror on its hinges. The table was cluttered with normal teen girl stuff like make-up, hair essentials and sprays and perfume. A white bookshelf about two feet wide and ten foot tall stood in the corner next to a beech table with a laptop on the surface, along with another lamp and miniture drawers and folders with paper on it. It was like a normal teen girls room.
                    I remember Byron showing me the room and I gazed in a daze, the rush of different smells roaming my nose. I was bewildered that demons that were sophisticated enough could live like kings and queens. I jumped on the king sized bed and wondered my eyes up the high ceiling and staring at the glittering chandelier with white light pouring from it.
                    I also remember how he told me that the bathroom was a few feet from my room on the opposite side of the corridor. How the demons girls use it, how there's shower cubicals and sinks with big mirrors.
                    I picked at my hair, all stringy and smelly. I felt disgusting, never mind the demons I'm currently living with. Also gazing at my hands in the dim light, I could still spot grains of blood still lingering on my skin. Nathan's blood.
                    "I need to shower." I leaped from my bed, remembering last night I couldn't really shower from being so drained and sleepy.
                    I looked down at myself, the crumpled cream nightie, the white fabric lined with pink cotton ruffles aligned on the neck line. I had my dirty mission clothes in a heap to the side. I stepped and turned the chandelier lighting on. The room danced to life.
                    I breathed deep and stalked to the drawers. I brushed my hand on the flat surface, a small, purple frame of a photo lay there, with no photo. I opened the top drawer slowly, thinking a demon hand might claw at mine.
                    Peeping inside, I found underwear. Knickers and thongs of all colours. Whom ever sorted out the underwear would get their arses kicked. But as I shuffled some along, I found some cute girl boxers. I digged deeper, eyes gleaming since my underwear drawer wasn't as good as this one back at the dorms. Then I found something that made my jaw drop off and heart go over the speeding limit.
                    At the bottom of the drawer was a neatly folded lingerie with a piece of cream paper perfectly on top, with beautiful handwriting scribbled on. I took out the top layer of stuff, seeing black laces fall from the hot pink corset. The corset had black lining around the edges and a large purple butterfly with different shades on the left breast. I dropped it and picked up the...Thong. I gulped and examined them, turning them.
                    I mean, who could wear these?!
I dropped them and bent down to pick up the piece of paper. I bit my tongue from screaming his name in bitter outrage.
              

Hello my Queen,
Once we wed,
I hope to see you in this.
From your dearly beloved,
Byron
X

Does he have a death wish? Does he seriously want to keep his head on his shoulders? Because at this rate, he's gunna meet my fist.
                     "Whatever." I said in a boring tone, grabbing a pair of blue boxers and a dark blue bra oddly in my size and placed them on the unmade bed. I shifted my weight to the wardrobe. I opened the doors and was welcomed to the bittersweet smell of chocolate and honey. The sickly smell making me gag, but that wasn't the only thing.
                      I stared in unamused amazement.
This dude must think I'm a girly girl, I scoffed to myself. Amy maybe. But me? No.
                     
I peered at endless amounts of dresses, some with peticoats and some just plain. I shoved some aside on the rails. The sound of plastic hangers on the metal bar made me grit my teeth. I found very short shorts, neon tank tops and frilly tops. Finally, I found a more me style...Sorta. I picked out some black skinny jeans with cute chains dangling from the belt hoops, and a black top with faded skulls overlapping eachother.
                      Without much hesitation, I gladly took them out and peeped at the bottom of the wardrobe. I dropped my clothes as well as the shoes that ley there. I crouched and felt my mind whir as my hand hovered over lots of shoes on a tall to small shoe rack. At the top were women's heels of formal colours like black and faded pink. Then there was flats, black flats or patterned flats. I even spotted a pair with a skully bow at the front. Then there was trainers, from Nike Airs to girly pink Supras.
                       The dream with Nathan in it hit me like a ton of bricks. How his steely blue eyes glared at me like broken glass, the grip of his hold mencaing. Hell, everything about him in the dream was menacing.
                       I forgot about it quickly when my eyes landed on black converses, along with pinks and reds and blues and greens. Even though I hate the people in this cathedral...Hotel place, I love the free stuff.
                       I picked up the coverses and happily jumped to the bed and laid out my clothes.
With great plea, I jumped right into the corridor and wanted to head straight in for the shower room. But dawning weighed on my shoulders.
                      What if demon girls have their own way with me?
I draped my arms dramatically over my chest, even when I know I'm not naked. I could already feel the hard fingers press into my skin. I shivered and closed my eyes tight, biting my tongue and the painful feeling brought me back to reality.
                      Suddenly, I felt a rush of wind by my side and instinct kicked in. Well, my more cowardly side of instinct. I squeeked and jumped back, arms out to shield my face. My eyes wide open and staring at a bewildered and amused Byron.
                      I straighed up quickly to not show a sign of weakness (even though I already have) and cleared my throat. I felt stupid and cursed my stupid brain for being so pathetic when all it was were mere smelly demons around me. Especially this one. He gave me the creeps, and with that so called present, I'd rather vomit and give it back to him.
                      "I'm not going to hurt you, my Queen." Slowly, he reached out with his hand and I stood my ground. But I'd rather let a spider crawl through my hair than have him touch me. So with all the strength I had left, stopped his hand with my right, just staring at him.
                      "Well, I'd rather you not touch me." I dropped his hand to his side, his face from amusement to laughable bewilderment made me a little proud yet disappointed since I can't make him fear me. 
                      That's it! I thought brilliantly. I need to make him fear me! For all the days I am here, that is my goal.
                     
"Did you like your present?" His grim line of a grin turned up at the corners with a different kind of smile. More like evil and curious.
                      "That was a present?" I scoffed, folding my arms and the thoughts of his neck breaking under my hands gave me the courage to lift my chin higher. "Where I come from, it's a insult." I turned my head, feeling the acidy burn of bile rising in my throat, and the thought of the lingerei made me want to barf. I breathed through my nose and smiled happily at him, we both knew all to well it was fake.
                      "I hope you keep it safe," He ignored my last sort-of threat. "Because I wish to see you in it on our wedding night." He moved swiftly closer. And suddenly, I didn't like being in this narrow brick corridor anymore, with just single watt bulbs hanging bare in the ceiling casting eerie shadows across Byron's face.
                      "Oh!" I scoffed again, this time, it was tinged with sarcasm. Okay, a lot of sarcasm. "Forcing marriage is one thing, but sex? No way. I'd rather kill myself with my own weapons." I stood rooted to the ground and stared at him, my normally calm and sweet brown eyes I now felt turn steely and narrowing at Byron.
                      "Who says I'd force you to do that?" He smiled and walked calmly around me, seeming to pass off my dirty glares. "Before the day of our wedding, I bet you're head over heels for me." All to aware, I felt my heart tug strongly, my chest contracting as if I were choking. I glimpsed at the floor, knowing all to well my heart belonged to Nathan.
                       "I couldn't love something like you." I spat, making sure I put enough emphasise in something. "My love doesn't belong to you, and never will."
                        "Oh yes," He ducked his head and chuckled quietly, which made me want to punch his temple but I seen another one of Nathan's sweet and caring smiles sweep across my mind. "You still love the dead guy-"
                        "He's not dead!" I screamed at him before swivelling on him, my face burning and muscles becoming weak. I hate to admit, but I'd just shown Byron my weakest state. It hurt more than the fact that I had to marry this monster. "If I can't have him," I felt a lump in my throat form and I couldn't swallow it down, it hurt so much my eyes watered. "No one can." I faltered on the last few words, just squeeks coming from my mouth made me feel ashamed, I should've screamed them.
                        However, I didn't want to break down and cry in front of him, so quickly dashed into the shower room.
                        I stood behind the closed door, the smell of chlorine and strong soap fluttered up my nose, making me inhale deeply. Rather this than the dank corridor.
                        But I couldn't stop my beating heart, it hurt so much that it felt like it was still swelling behind my lungs. "Oh please, heart," I begged my mind and inner self while I clutched the fabric of the nightie and wiped my eyes. "Please stop trying to kill me."
                        Byron believes Nathan is dead. Even though it's painful for me to come to terms to if he really is, but I have to play along. I know how strong Nathan is, and if he has kept our Clan together for all these years, he's not going to stop now. I know for a fact he's alive. I just have to play along for a little while longer until he finds me, and I know he'll have others with him.
         
                                     


I stared at my gun while the gunning of the engine sped down the back roads of GapWate City. The streets were alive with lights and people. The crowds smothered from bar to bar or from diner to diner. I seen a few drunken girls flash her chest off to one of her male friends.
                      The night looked peaceful and fun, but deep down in this wretched city was the underbelly of fleshy and dirty demons. And I couldn't care less if I had to torture them for hours to tell me anything, I would get everyone's help.
                       I could smell Alyson's perfume from the front of me where she sat, just staring out the tinted windows, a sigh every minute. It bothered me because I was so full of anger and too impatient. But Amy held Alyson's hand where she sat by her side, Mike was opposite Amy, smiling at her with kindness and something I haven't seen in his eyes in a long time every time Amy's eyes landed on him. Of course, Sarah was in the front seat with Danny, whose hand was on the gear shift in a painful grip. Sometimes, Sarah placed her hand over his, and most times, she glanced at him worryingly. And Clair was silent at the other end of my seat, chin on her fist and body tensed, ready for a fight.
                        Suddenly, I felt a pang of white pain slice through my stomach. I grimaced and winced while bending to clutch my gut. Alyson crouched within seconds by my feet, grabbing my hand in hers with bone breaking pressure.
                        "Nathan, what is it?" She gasped, her big blue eyes brimmed with fear and yearning. It killed me everytime I seen her like this, especially when I wished Ammie was the one to help. "Nathan, say something!" Alyson's face twisted in horror.
                       "I'm fine," I held Alyson's hand and finally dropped it in her lap, her face then forming like she'd eaten a sour grape. "Just still a little raw." I placed my hand over my skin and gently rubbed, the stitching poking through my clothes.
                       "You're not." Amy breathed and told Mike to swap seats. She plumped down beside me and digged through one of her pockets. While she rumaged, I smelt cherry gum and peppermint. "Here." She held out a white tablet on her little pale palm, smiling. "A paracetamol."
                       I took it thankfully and gulped it down, feeling it stick in my throat.
"Thanks, Amy." I smiled at her and she returned it and batted her eyelashes at Mike, who just smiled cheekily at her back. I really know something is going on between them, I could feel the heavy atmosphere looming around us.
                      "There's a party around a flat near a pub, shall we hit it?" Danny swerved around a corner next to a grade F street of run down combined flats. The doors dark and smeared with mud and other colour and textures I couldn't decipher in the dark. The roads littered with broken glass, cigarette buds, sweet wrappers and even a shoe randomly near a drain. The street lamp flickered on and off, making me blink continuously as we all spied on a loud party at the end of the flats near a pub.
                      "Just see how it goes for a few minutes." I laid back in my seat and squinted at the crowd of teens throwing drinks and dancing outside, I could hear the window-shaking music rattle from the bar.
                      After a few minutes, I seen a couple of people leave. But as I stared at the two girls and three guys, my ankles began to itch. As if I'd been nettled. And like what we've learnt at the academy, we all have a warning of demons. Mine was the occasional burning sensations like rubber tyers screeching on the road on my ankles.
                      "Feel it guys?" I asked without moving my eyes, a sickly feeling rising in the pit of my stomach.
                      "Definately." Mike spoke up.
                      "Mhmm." Amy's sweet smile now hidden behind a disgusted grim line.
                      "Yup." Sarah and Danny chorused.
                      "Oh yeah." The first time Clair spoke all night and she was straining to see from Amy and my head.
"Move in." I commanded and opened the car door silently. "Suprise attack. We don't have any plan, just follow and sneak up from behind. Don't kill them," I looked Clair right in the eyes, and she looked at me menacingly, as if I were aiming the statement right at her. Basically, I was. "Just grab them and bring them to me. If not, gather one and group up." I hopped out the car. That was an exaggeration, I literally fell out, stumbling on the stupid curb.
                       "Can we rough them up a bit?" Clair said sweetly like syrup as she jumped on the pavement, jogging on the spot like she'd be running a race.
                       "If you wish." I said briskly as I stood, knowing all to well it was painful to stand straight. Damn it. "Just don't 'accidently' kill them." I put a lot of force behind accident, knowing Clair long enough to know she'd take her anger out on losing her bestfriend on a demon that could be helpful.
                       "They only seems to be five of them," Amy pointed out as she moved closer to Mike, linking her fingers through his. "And six of us. Nathan, whos with who?"
                       I blinked at them all standing in front of me by the dodgy flats. I knew Alyson would want to work with me. So me and her would be paired up. And as always, Sarah and Danny work best as a couple. That would leave three left. Clair would go solo, since she hasn't got Ammie, I don't think she could work with anyone at the moment. And Amy and Mike will go solo, too.
                      "Me and Alyson, Sarah and Danny, Clair, Mike and Amy go solo," I seen Clair's sad smile turn bright and she unstrapped her machine gun from her back and fastened a strap to both ends and hauled it over her shoulder after draping her leather jacket over her shoulder, in a cool way, to hide her deadly gun. But I also seen Mike and Amy's face look sad, they peered at eachother and Amy stepped forward.
                       "I was hoping me and Mike could be paired together?" She sounded small and fragile, I looked up to see Mike's face like concrete as he stared at Amy.
                        "But that'd leave one demon left?" I groaned, but was brought back quickly after what I heard next.
                        "I'll handle it." Clair turned to the pub, seeing the demons talk and laugh like mad men as they stalked down the street across from us. "I would love to take two on." She weilded her gun higher but dropped it quick and turned back to us with suprised eyes. "That is if any of you wanna take another one on?" She questioned.
                         "Are you sure you can handle it?" I know my voice was full of concern, but seeing Clair just a little joyful about killing a demon made my pulse quicken.
                         "Yeah," Clair looked down sadly. "I don't have Ammie as bait or a distraction. So I'll be fine." She looked depressed, but straightened up and managed a sevre smile. I know what Clair's going through. Heck, I could even feel it drain off of her, it made my whole body hurt like I'd been rolling in a bed full of sharp pebbles.
                         "Okay," I breathed and felt the cold night air swoosh around us in a delightful gesture, it made everyone of us inhale deeply. Then grimace in unison, the grim stench of death was carried over by the wind. "Remember," I looked over all their faces, each one ready and set to kill, hopefull not. "Suprise attack and bring them to me, if not, group up." I brung my backpack higher up my sore shoulder.
                         "Right." My Clan said happily together, but it felt off. Yes, one piece was missing. Ammie, her childish behaviour in serious moments made us all laugh, just what we needed right now.
                         "Move in." I ordered sternly, they all nodded once and scattered like rats after being seen munching on forgotten food. Alyson linked her arm through mine. I felt her warmth and anxiousness as she stared forward across the road where Sarah and Danny walked hand in hand.
                        "We need a drink, don't we?" Alyson winked playfully at me, but deep in her blue eyes, I knew she was holding her feelings back. And it was painful for her to do that around me, even when I broke her heart. I don't know how she still wanted to be around me. Yet, once you've liked someone, I guess you'll still always think of them, a little piece of your heart will tug slightly.
                       "Yeah," I smiled down at her and we walked up to the bar, different shades of street lamps flickering above made the streets look scary and unapproachable. But we stalked in the night like predators, seeking the prey that thought they were the predators. But only the good guys win. I felt a scary smile break the surface on my face, I was ready. 
                       Yet, deep within me, I needed Ammie. I needed her inappropriate behaviour, her silky sweet talk to threaten demons that unwavered. Her funniness toward my stern commands and her disgust towards mine, Danny's and Mike's love for kill. I needed her now. Being gone for only two days was painful even for me.
 
                                                                                      
Premium

I walked around the shower room, amazed at such a clean and sterile room. It was long and big, wall tiles of lime green, aqua blue, gold and deep blue and most of all white covered the walls. The ceiling streching so high with a beautiful underwater feeling since it was painted as if I was swimming to the surface of water, sunlight making the water ripple. It was beautiful with bright lights shining all around. The floor was also tiled with drains dotted here and there.
                       The first thing I smelt was bleach, soap and chlorine, as if I were at the changing rooms at the community swimming pool.
                       That brought back a painful memory.
Of me and my beautiful mother splashing in the water, a blow up duck ring around my waist as I floated on the surface. My mothers gentle face gleaming with smiles and happiness, her hands on my legs, pretending she was eating them, and I'd giggle away. The splashes in my face making me choke and swallow a little, and I remembered gagging and crying at the disgusting taste of chlorine, and she'd shushed me and held me close.
                        I rubbed my face and rung the thought out of my head, I was only 4 at the time and could still remember it in perfect detail? Maybe because I never had her for long and kept the living part of her life in memory stored at the back of my mind, like a depressing shrine.
                        I forgot about her and walked barefoot across the damp tiled floor, smiling as I seen lime green cubicals lined against the walls, in front was a bench,, behind the bench was white lockers. Behind the lockers (which is where I was facing but a few feet back) was a large wall, but it didn't reach the ceiling. But it was covered in blue and white tiles. I moved to see what was behind the wall, and gasped happily when I seen perfect white sinks lined til the end, and higher up were mirrors. I ventured more behind the wall and seen more lockers line the wall with large white cabnits with mirrors on the wall, too. Near the corner were more cubicals, but in black writing was toilets. I peered low to see the base of the loo, smiling awkwardly, as if I'd see someone's feet.
                        I walked back around to the shower and looked at the door, by it were coat hangers in the wall with luxurious robes. I went over and picked one up, and it smelt like coconut and vibrant flowers.
                       Then, I looked worryingly at the showers, the ceiling, the sinks and cabnits beyond.
                       I can't take this, I thought to myself, inside I was screaming to cry it all out. I hate it here! I know this was all to indulge me, to make me love that sick, twisted Lord. He's trying to make me weaker to this life, and I was born to be a demon assassin, yet, I was living with them. And, unfortuneately, marrying one next week.
                       I took a long shower, the sound of spitting water hitting the tiled ground was relaxing. But not as much as it hit my skin, massaging me. I looked blankly at the tiles, trying not to think, and rubbed my face again.
                       I looked startled at my fingers, inbetween, Nathan's blood washed away like he was never there. "No." I whispered. Feeling like I'm losing myself again. "Don't go." I snapped to myself, a fact I knew I was going insane being here. "Find me, Nathan!" I screamed at nothing, thinking I heard my cubical door rattle from my shriek.
                       I fell to the floor, watching water flow calmly downwards to the drains under the benches. I brung my knees to my chest, wanting to cry, but I couldn't. It felt like the warm water was forcing me not to cry. But I need to cry.
                       Nathan's face flashd through my mind like a bird past a window, blinded by the sunlight in front. I seen his smile come and go, just like his laughing blue eyes. I wanted him with me. I needed him with me. It was like I couldn't move anymore, I felt rooted to the cold tiles.
                       I closed my hands into fists and balled into them, finally letting it all go. And it felt good. When I was crying, I felt as if a huge weight was lifted, like I was allowed to cry. I cried so loud my sobs echoed throughout the shower room.
                       "Mother," I weeped, feeling my chest tug. "Nathan," I felt the harsh grasp of my heartstrings tighten, like I couldn't breathe. "Grandad," I felt my skin crawl in anger. "Guys." I know I was talking about my clan, my friends that would always be there. "I need you all now." I gritted my teeth, water dribbling down my chin. Even though I wanted my friends and Grandad (and my dead mother), I mostly needed Nathan's smile to warm me up. His voice to make them butterflies come to life in my stomach. His warmth to make my skin heaten and head go all fuzzy. I needed him.
                       "Nathan!"

      


Before I could pounce on the demon from behind the gate on the corner, my head hurt and I heard Ammie's voice scream my name. I winced and leaned on the rusty black gate, the iron squeeking from my weight. I rested and breathed calmly and rung my fingers through my hair, careful for the stinky demon boy not to hear me.
                        "What is it?" Alyson whispered so close to my ear I could've elbowed her in the face from shock.
                        "I thought I heard Ammie."       


© 2012 ALittleBitOfEverything


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
Added on August 9, 2012
Last Updated on August 12, 2012


Author

ALittleBitOfEverything
ALittleBitOfEverything

United Kingdom



About
Right, I'm back after months! (return 09/12/2014) and I am no longer a wannabe goth kid weirdo. I no longer listen to bands that make me depressed a little and on my (maybe) last course of college of .. more..

Writing