Chapter 1 Ammie Hale

Chapter 1 Ammie Hale

A Chapter by ALittleBitOfEverything

We were all in practise today, doing ground training and my muscles killed.
              The rain pelted on our bodies, black and grey clothing bounced in my view. The sky a dark grey storm, cloud budding together to scare me. The air was slick with the smell of rotten vegetation, compost and dust, causing me to sneeze. All I could see was bodies flying in and out of view, boots in the air for kicks and punches to dummies, spitting dust everywhere. The cold seeped through me like a disease, mouth full of grit and mud, I nearly wretched to the side.
               But I was too busy dodging dummies with yellow eyes and pen slits while trying not to trip on a fallen log, running through the forest at the edge of our academy.
               A dummy hit my side.
"S**t," I grumbled, fumbling for my dagger at my ankle under my three quater black cargo pants. I thrusted my dagger through the heart, that was glowing red. I hit it.
               A whistle blew, shattering my ear drums.
"Amelia Hale!" A stern male voice bellowed through the ground speakers, I flinched from hearing my own name. "You are to be removed from the training ground!" Well, this wasn't going right.
               People watched me go, snickering, comments floated around me as I trecked through the dead leaves, rocks and twigs. The rain soaking my hair, I needed a shower first. I hopped over a log and spotted a well camouflaged camera on the trunk of a tree behind wet, green leaves. Despite myself, I stuck my tongue out.
 
I got off the training ground onto the DAA, Demon Assissination Academy, where kids from 9-21 learn to be skillful, technical and profession Demon slayers. We fight with guns, swords, daggers, potions and fists. We practise in our assigned clans. Clan leader makes you so very popular, Second in command is just a way of saying you're-next-if-the-leader-goes. Then the rest are your teammates, testing their bravery, courage and fighting skills.
               I was just one of your clan members, too soft and not good at anything. Yet, I came from the long line of exceptional Demon Assassins, which gave me plenty of pressure to live up to the family name of Hale. I was even dumped here at the age of seven since I was such a 'special deal'.
              I walked past the huge ugly building of the halls of residence, even if I wasn't American, I call them dormitories, or just dorms. The brown colour was bright against the pale sky, the windows arched and most of them floor to ceiling. The roof was falling apart, grey roof tiles fell everyday, a kid nearly got his arm cut clean off because of one. The building was 5 stories high and apparently was residency to Angels.
The front of the building was a small attachment building. Which is where the receptionist, nurses office and head of the whole academy was positioned. In front of that was just gravel, leading up to newly painted black gates that surrounded the front of the few buildings around, the gym and school.
Behind the dormitries were 20 yards of fresh cut grass with winding footpaths through the planes of grass. Old wooden benches were spotted mostly close to the buildings, a few were spread near the forest outskirts. The forest was riddled with dummies and surveillance cameras, the forest was used for a practise ground. But underneath were the Underground tunnels for emergencies, they divided everywhere from farms to cities.
Beside the dormitries was the large school. It was like any normal school, yet, P.e was more like combat and martial arts. In science we normally do biology, chemistry, physiology and core science involving practical, yet we also did potions and anatomy of the demon body.
               But right now, Mr.Lockwood stood stiff as a pillar beside a bench with a clipboard in his wrinkled hand, a large umbrella in the other. His glasses perched on his head as he squinted at the board. He wore blue track pants and a black academy jumper with sneakers. His mustache black like his hair but shaved for his top lip. He was the stern voice.
                "Miss Hale," He read of the board while juggling with the umbrella. "I see you killed a demon at practise." He uttered.
               "Oh c'mon!" I threw my hands up, rain dropping in my eyes. "What's the point in being here if we can't kill demon dummies!" I shrieked.
                "You know all too well it was Stealth Practise, trying to dodge objects while fending off attacking demons." He huffed, peering at me like an old lady with wise brown eyes.
                 "Shouldn't you be glad?" I whined, trying my best to get out of this. "I reacted automatically and nailed that stupid dummy!" I nearly screamed at him.
                 "Sorry, Amelia," He did cut me some slack, knowing how bad I was at this academy, he was the only who ever did. "But the teachers seen this and you need to be punished. Detention for a week." He spoke sternly again.
I groaned and pushed back my hair, I couldn't fight, but I wanted to smack someone.
                  "I took care of it and made it three days." He smiled.
I smiled gratefully, I'm glad he was on my side.
                   "Now head to the dinner hall, the lunch bell will ring soon and you can be front of the line." He chuckled, his mustache wiggling like a worm. I swear that thing was alive.

I jogged to my dorm room first, up the stone, cold steps in the musty building. On the first floor was the older assassins, more professional and aged 20-21. Second floor belonged to rugged old teens of 18-19 year olds, most of them were becoming professionals. Third floor was for 15-17 year olds,  for reblious teens, kicking a*s. Forth floor was ruled by pre-teens of 12-14 year olds, picking on the people below them which are the last of the floors, the floor at the top with belonged to the kids of 9-11 year olds.
                    I belonged to the third floor, I was only 16 years old and turning 17 within months.
Every floor had a common room, or as everyone called it, Chill room. The whole dormitry building was spilt in half for both girls and boys. Girls were on the left and boys on the right. The teachers wing was on the side of the dormitry building, quite small but very intimidating.
                    I reached my room, a sticker on the door that said 'Keep out, Punks only' was in big, black and in capitals. I opened the thick wooden door and stepped in my warm room. Thank God radiators were installed 40 years ago and upgraded every few years.
                    I changed from my wet black three quater cargos and think black top to a warm and snuggly black turtle neck jumper and blue skinny jeans, I put on a clean pair of black boots. The cool thing about my boots is that they weren't just steel toed, but had blades at the front and back if you pushed the right button.
I looked at my desk mirror and cringed at my reflection.
                    My normally dark brown hair looked black from the damp, and it hung in curls on my head, some locks plastered on my cheeks and forehed and neck. Big brown eyes were glossy from the rain, my cheeks pink from jogging so much on the steps. A dainty nose and average pale lips that matched my pale skin. I dried my hair off with a hair dryer and put it in a high pony tail, my side fringe to the side.
                    As soon as I shut my dorm door, the lunch bell rang.
"S**t, no." I ran down the steps, skipping 4 or 5 to get down quicker. I was lucky I changed before dinner, most kids just come in from training and eat whether they're wet or dirty. Most of the girls try and get dolled up before dinner, too. Even though we come here for training and missions, girls and boys still want to juggle love. I don't think too much of the guys here who were so uncaring and tough. I was all for love, but I couldn't find my match made in heaven in this hell hole.
                     I raced through the cluttered hall of soaken students who smelt like mud and earth, I seen some girls run up the girl dorms to change, I smiled to myself. I rounded a corner where a small line was formed in front of the canteen. The lunch room was as big as a theater in here, large ceilings and hard wood flooring. The walls painted a sick off cream colour, the ceiling piercing white, yet all the dust madeit light grey. The room was filled with round, square, rectangle and oval shaped tables with plastic, metal chairs or stools. The smell of beef burgers and chocolate cake hit me in the face, I was salivating.
                      I felt a poke at my back, I was half annoyed and half gleeful, knowing who it was instantly. I turned to see my bestfriend, Clair DeBonn, stand soaken beind me.
She was my dorm neighbour and in my clan, we've been bestfriends since we met on floor one. She had been polite and cheery when I first met her, heck, we both had. Then time here made us violent and dangerous.
                     Clair's shoulder length black hair was drenched as well as her black pants and a dull blue shirt with the academy logo on the right of the breast. Her tan was natural since she had a Arabian background, her smooth caramel brown skin looked warm to the touch. Her dark brown eyes stood out, a more darker pair of lips and a sharp nose, she also had faint freckles on her nose.
"Cold?" I mused, grinning at her.
                     "Shut up," Her teeth chattered, she rubbed her bumpy arms. "Get me a chicken burger and chocolate muffin, please." She stammered, shouting over the buzz of students, I felt lost in the sea of kids. I nodded, whoever got to the line out of me and Clair first always paid. Since it was a battle to be in line and a killer until it went down. I didn't mind paying, we always paid eachother back, if not, it was forgotten.
                     I got my cheese burger, cookie and Diet Coke, along with Clair's order.
I felt confused and panicked as I couldn't find Clair, the rush of students knocking my tray, I swore at a little boy who nearly knocked over my can of Coke. I walked through groups of kids, their gossip making me crane my neck to hear, but the plastic of the tray dug into my fingers. I had to find Clair before I dropped this damned tray.
                     "Ammie!" I was called Amelia, but friends known me as Ammi. "Over here!" I seen Clair's thin arms wave in the air, she was at a stool table. Normally, we have that table, but cooler kids think they can have it, but it has always been mine and Clair's. Most kids were scared of me since I had always had an anger problem, so people tended to avoid me.
                     I reached our table and set our food down. Clair stuffed her food down her throat.
"Jeez," I took small bites so I could still talk. "Did Miss Harney starve you lot?" I sipped my Coke.
Clair struggled to swallow, I handed her my drink. "Better not get floaters in it, Clair." I mumbled. She smirked. I looked around, feeling cold, even in my turtle neck jumper.
                    "She made us do 5 laps of the entire school field." Clair grumbled, grateful to breathe again, then took chunks of her muffin. "I could kill the b***h."
I laughed at her, I loved to laugh, and giggled at anything, even if it wasn't even funny. Clair loved that about me. I felt lighter already.
                     "Any need for that language?" A familiar male voice scolded behind me, I grinded my teeth.
I turned on my stool to see Nathan Grund stand with his tray of food behind me. His jet black hair hung damp over his eyes, however I could still see the blue of his steel, cold eyes. His pale skin was a little paler than mine, which was startling in contrast to his hair.
                      The worst was that he was the Leader of our clan, he didn't act snobby, but his popular friends did. A girl called Alyson Dames was behind him. Everyone in our clan knew she was head over heels for Nathan, she followed him everywhere like a lost puppy. She was also Second in command, which means she was always with him, even when they aren't supposed too. Her strawberry blonde hair was dry and paper thin straight. I was envious. Her dark blue eyes were sharp when she pinned anyone with her gaze. Nathan knew her crush, but did nothing about it, word is that he didn't ike her.
                    To me, he was just a pain in the a*s. Giving me hard criticism and scolding me all the time for my failures. He'd always boss me about and leave me to clean up the mess after a mission, which was infuriating. I could smell faint body spray lingering off of him.
                     "Oh, Ammie," He sounded disappointed, I ducked my head, resting my chin withing my turtle neck. "Why'd you stab a dummy at Stealth Practise?" He set his tray down on a table next to ours, scraping the chair back. I avoided his gaze.
                      "I did it automatically," I babbled. "I thought it was a cool strike." I peered at Clair who had finished her lunch and peered at me. I was amazed at both out diets, as it was all sugary food. Good thing we were at practise almost every day to keep the weight off, even when we felt like dying.
                       "Still," Nathan commanded. "You cost our clan to do another mission tonight, and I wanted to relax, this is our third mission three days in a row." He sighed and rubbed his eyes, staring at me with an intense gaze. "I'm shattered."
                       "I have detention, Nathan, I didn't beg for this, you know." I stated, feeling my anger bubble inside me. The sound of voices rising made my ears ring, teachers lined the canteen to make sure the students were being good in line, I felt like half the time we were being baby sat.
                        "Please," Nathan spoke up, leaning over to our table. "Try and be good."


© 2012 ALittleBitOfEverything


Author's Note

ALittleBitOfEverything
ignore the mistakes, half of this i wrote half asleep but energized by my music! :D enjoy

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a fantastic read, i really enjoyed this. Keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ALittleBitOfEverything

11 Years Ago

Eee thanks x3
I enjoyed the read. I'm definitely going to be making time to check of the next chapters.

Thanks for sharing it. I really enjoyed it. I loved the style.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 1, 2012
Last Updated on August 22, 2012


Author

ALittleBitOfEverything
ALittleBitOfEverything

United Kingdom



About
Right, I'm back after months! (return 09/12/2014) and I am no longer a wannabe goth kid weirdo. I no longer listen to bands that make me depressed a little and on my (maybe) last course of college of .. more..

Writing