Part Three: Truth

Part Three: Truth

A Chapter by Douglas Levi Gribbins

2182, Xavier was woken up, strapped to the same chair he was before, this time, the Professor hadn't introduced himself like before, as the scientists walked in, strapped him down, all he said into the microphone was "Axolotl-G3 is what we are injecting you with, it is our final attempt at giving you this power, and you are conscious while we are doing this one, the board ordered it." The scientists injected Xavier with the liquids, Xavier's face seeming to not even be aware of it even happening, his eyes, locked onto the professor, gave a stare that not even he could forget. A few minutes after Xavier was injected, he was blindfolded and left alone for four hours, Xavier remaining still, despite not being restrained, remaining motionless for the entire time. When the fourth hour struck, a bone began growing out of what used to be Xavier's arm, skin soon followed it, within thirty minutes, Xavier's arm had completely grew back, the Professor was amazed, happy, and shocked that it even worked, being that Xavier was the only human it had been tested on. Xavier, however, remained expressionless, and emotionless. The board ordered that Xavier was to be left in his room to roam as he pleased, in order to "adapt" to his new genes.

2184 hit, the war had been getting worse, which called for more children to test on, but due to a lack of space, Xavier was informed he would have to share a room with one other experiment, Xavier slowly bring's himself up to stand, and quietly, under his breath, with his eyes wide open, he informed the Professor "That's a not a good idea." in a playful manner. The Professor, who had grown to know what Xavier meant by that, told the board that they should invest in more space for experiments, and that Xavier should stay by his lonesome, The board ignored Close's idea, and proceeded to send in another experiment, known as Dave, everything seemed normal for the first few days, until bedtime on the fourth night, Dave wanted to go to sleep, but Xavier had other ideas, during the night, when the lights went off, footsteps could be heard by Dave, but to him, Xavier was asleep, the footsteps continued through the night.

The next day, the researchers, and the Professor, found Dave, laying dead, with no wounds other than a large opening in his back, with his spine missing, looking to have been made by a sword or other sharp weaponry. The researchers found a trail of thin blood coming from the open gash in his back, leading directly to Xavier, with a broken spine in his hand, and pieces of ripped cloth on his arms. The board was mortified at what they saw, and quickly retrieved Dave's body from the room, Xavier stood up, revealing traces of blood and flesh around his mouth, saying "Welcome to the game of life, a game of competition, either you survive, or you perish, I think we both know what path Dave chose.". Those were the only words Xavier spoke after warning the board about giving him a roommate. The incident was known as "The Game" and after it happened, Xavier's name in the files was changed to "Shadow" due to the attack wanting to be hidden, and it happening in the dark. The board decided to keep Shadow because they believed he was close to becoming the Ultimate weapon, Shadow was soon put back to sleep until further experimentation.

2185, Today is Devin's last day of Elementary school, with passing grades, especially in writing, Devin had moved on to 6th grade, Even at eleven years of age, he still wrote to Xavier, believing he was still alive, but as for Jerry, his father, he didn't believe for a second that Xavier would have survived. It began to become more and more difficult to celebrate birthdays for Devin, because without his brother with him, it just seemed impossible. To his father Devin asked time and time again "When will Xavier come back home?" One day, The father sat him down slowly, and with his hand on Devin's shoulder, replied with the truth, "Son, Xavier was sold to the military in order for us to get this far, I'm sorry for not telling you this until now, but it's about time you learn the truth, I only did what I thought was best for you." Devin broke into tears, attempting to tackle Jerry, hitting, punching, slapping him, calling him a monster. It was that day, that changed Devin's life forever, but more for the worst.

Devin sat in his room, with a book of childhood photos in his lap, looking at all of the pictures he and Xavier had had together, from birth, to age six. Devin had a strange feeling, that Xavier was not dead, but didn't think he was alive, either. It was a strange thought that clouded his mind, a thought that he didn't share with anyone, not even his father whom he had stopped talking to altogether. Instead, he wrote it down in his own personal diary, which was previously used as writing paper for letters he had written to Xavier. He found that writing in it helped him escape the world and make him feel like someone else understands how he feels, and as if someone else is listening to his thoughts and agreeing with them, As if someone else, Is watching him. It wouldn't be long until most of Devin's free time is spent in his room with the doors locked, writing stories and books by his lonesome. Nobody ever read them, mainly because Devin was very secretive of his writings, and wanted nobody except his brother to see them.



© 2014 Douglas Levi Gribbins


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That little paragraph in the end about how writing helped him escape the real world and how exactly it made him feel, those lines are just so dang awesome. Amazing how you put it that way. Relate with it. Then, the place where the spine goes missing, ah, enjoyable. Though, write prose more to achieve perfection in the narration style and mode, grammer.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

387 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 14, 2014
Last Updated on November 14, 2014
Tags: Death, Dismemberment, Not Insurance, Personal