Part Four: The Finale

Part Four: The Finale

A Chapter by Douglas Levi Gribbins

The year is 2189, Xavier is woken up, with the Professor saying into the microphone "This is the last time you will be put to sleep, Shadow, It's about time we give you the final test." Xavier was then strapped down to the floor, and injected with 3 different experimental needles, Xavier broke free of all straps, all chains, and anything holding him down, he struggled to stand, muttering gibberish in what sounded like words backwards, and his eyes turned a bright violet, shortly after which, Xavier took his last breath, and at last, he stopped breathing, all motion inside his body, ceased. His eyes shut and his heart stopped, he was believed to be dead. The board was disappointed in this, but didn't hesitate to send him back home. The board found Jerry's address, wrapped Xavier into an air-tight coffin, and sent him back home by airplane.

Year 2190 Professor Close had knocked on Jerry's door, when he answered, Close said "Your son, Xavier, has died in experimentation, we cannot bury him, at risk that he would infect the land with the genes we had given him, we ask that you enclose him in your basement, and if your other son, Devin, would like to see his brother for the first time in ten years, then in my opinion, he deserves just that." Jerry had a tear in his eye as he accepted the casket of his son, Xavier. With help he loaded it into the basement, and closed the door, not telling Devin what had happened.

5 months pass, Devin's sixteenth birthday party, as with the other birthdays Devin had, was empty without his brother with him, but Devin put a fake smile on his face and accepted the fact that his brother was gone for good, shortly after blowing out his candles and Devin was about to head up to his room for another diary entry, Jerry stopped him, and signaled Devin to come downstairs into the basement, that he had a surprise for him. He and Devin made their way to the basement to see an open casket with the shape of a body formed into it, as if the shape was recently filled. Devin looked at his father in a rather irritated manner, saying "What, do you want me to get in that? Is this some kind of joke, dad?" Jerry couldn't speak, he kept trying to wake himself up from a dream he hoped he was having, but to no avail, it was true, Xavier was alive. Jerry issued a town-wide search for Xavier, a search that lasted the entire day before the townsfolk gave up, and all agreed that Xavier was, indeed, dead.

That night, when Jerry went to sleep, he checked the basement once again, and as he opened the door, he saw the same casket, closed, despite nobody touching it, or even finding the door once it was open, the basement door slammed shut behind Jerry as he walked deeper into the basement, he was hearing whispers coming from the casket, from his curiosity, he walked closer to the casket as it rumbled slightly with every step closer he took, and just before he could lay a hand on the cold, black casket, a hand jolted upon his neck, grabbing it ferociously, saying with a terrifying face "Hello, father!" Jerry woke up screaming, Stacy, his wife, next to him, trying to calm him down, Jerry rushed down to the basement to see the casket closed, and quiet, he touched it, cold, but nothing else happened.

Devin started having dreams that night about a mysterious person talking to him, saying gibberish that he could not make out into words. Gibberish it was, but he couldn't help but be interested in hearing more. Days went by and the gibberish started sounding more like English, and he made out one message clear, and it read "For what reason was I created?" There seemed to be a pause between sentences, sounding as if it was asking for a reply, despite Devin not being able to give one. "For the one day, we become one, I hope to answer that question, along with all of my other questions." Devin woke up in the basement, sitting in a chair that was facing the, now closed, casket. This was mysterious, but he didn't pay too much attention to it.

As the weeks passed, the dreams continued to have different messages, but became more tolerant, as Devin felt like he had a imaginary friend that felt strangely familiar. The next week he woke up with marks on his face, looking like he has extra skin growing on his cheeks, he attempted to hide it, but it didn't go unnoticed by his friends, who he lost as the marks continued to grow, he began showing signs of aging as the days and weeks went by. He began to have dreams about Xavier, him and his brother walking along in the park, both aged 6, playing with toys, talking about silly things, never was there a word about war, or being separated.

"Here, Now, it is being done." Devin hears in his head as he wakes up faced down on the sink, his head lifts up to him looking at himself in the mirror, his eyes turning a bright purple with solid white in the middle, his knuckle bones growing sharper, his skin getting tighter and the pain getting stronger.

Then, with tears in Devin's eyes, as his own hand grasps his mouth tight, he says

"Hello, Brother.

Finally, we are together.
At last...We are one."



© 2014 Douglas Levi Gribbins


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Boy, you killed it! The climax, this ending, its perfect. Fusion of characters. The paranormal aura! Had a great time reading this unique book, um, novella.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 14, 2014
Last Updated on November 14, 2014
Tags: Death, Dismemberment, Not Insurance, Personal