Grief plays heavy on the heart

Grief plays heavy on the heart

A Poem by Gee
"

Winter, like grief often lingers on. For Deb and mum

"
How patient spring who bides her time
whilst winter lingers on,
as yellow, white, break frozen earth
to a lone wren's sweet birdsong,
that carries through fog heavy air
'tween chestnut, birch and pine
to trail away beyond the eye
beyond all hopes of mine.
For winter like my sadness dwells
plays heavy on the heart,
oh how I wish this ache to cease
for the darkness to depart.

© 2023 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Not written in a while so please feel free to chip in to improve if you see fit :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This instantly made me think of the loss of my beloved grandma and how much I loved her; how she introduced me to poetry when I was just a very young child.

The comparison you draw between winter and spring and the way you portray the heaviness of your grief through the changing cycles of the seasons is quite beautifully composed; and as I read these lines I was minded of a time so much earlier in my life when I first discovered the English Romantics and their poetry.

I think in so many ways, we need that 'ache,' those memories of loved ones that have passed; they serve as reminders of the love that will linger for the rest of our lives.

Beccy. X

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

11 Months Ago

Belated thanks Beccy.
I hope you, your son and parents are well
Suddenly needed to read you... think April a mixed up kind of month, especially this year,, work and all.

To read your poem seems as if your words are calling from under a great dark cloud, my friend. Can understand that feeling.. if not knowing yours, of course. Perhaps walks or rides or just looking out on the world around you might help.. rain or shine because weather offers what humans need - almost too much to watch so as time is filled with minor differences that yotal relief - if wanted rather than not. Would like to send you something to read, will go search it. Besties to your lovely ladies, meantime.



Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

11 Months Ago

Such a late but heartfelt thank you.
Me too dear friend.
"For winter like my sadness dwells
plays heavy on the heart,
oh how I wish this ache to cease
for the darkness to depart."
Next week in Michigan. Some warm Spring days finally. Winter held on. Thank you for sharing the outstanding poetry.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Coyote.
Hope you are keeping well my friend
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You are welcome my friend.
Yes spring, hurry on along, we're tired of your cold dark affect; let us enjoy some color, some light, some joy....let us out of your clutches, your black abyss.... which cages our soul deep down....we beg you spring, push your way in to give us some hope.... so we may sing with the birds.
Best, B
PS In NC today it was 75 degrees so I had a smile on my face and took a long walk!


Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thanks Betty. Yes, bring on the warmer weather😎
Hope you are well
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

We 're getting here now; lovely spring, gentle breezes and COLOR!
Hope you are well too!
read more
Betty Hermelee

5 Months Ago

Hi Gee…please read. Y writing….🌷
Warmth my friend. A colorful blanket of sun coming. Vitamin D

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Hi Duff, hope you are well. Thank you for dropping in.
Spring sunshine can lift the heaviest of hearts Gee. Grief is such a downer of journey. Grief tells us alot though. The deeper the grief, the greater the love. Wishing you a little sunshine and lovely to find a new poem my friend. Have a good Tuesday.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Was thinking about mum and the lovely Deb when these words written.
Thanks Christine, hope al.. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

All ok and enjoying our break in Brixham thank you Gee.
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

Having breaks is so important!!
Delighted to find a new poem of yours Gee... I look quite often in hopes that you might have written... Of course I understand how busy we all get. I for one have not read or reviewed in weeks... Just way too busy.
Really enjoyed this...
Lisa, evening in Spain

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Hi Lisa, thanks for checking in and commenting.
I hope you are both well and spring has spru.. read more
Lisasview

1 Year Ago

Never seem to have enough time to do all that I want... Now off to practice piano..
Tomorrow is the first day of spring, yet it felt like winter where I live. Thank God for the springs and autumns, for the other two can become unwelcome guests in the last days of their visits.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you JTB
This is really lovely, Gee. Just yesterday, as I was walking through the living room, I heard the prettiest birdsong coming from my front porch. I have a decorative birdcage, which hangs in the corner of the porch. This little house wren was perched on its edges just singing away. The sun was shining brightly and the sky was powder blue with wisps of cotton clouds. It was a beautiful day with all the promise of spring; but it was cold and windy. Fear not! Spring is on the way, and the darkness will disappear.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Fingers crossed eh!
Your description of Spring's arrival sounds perfect :)
Thank you f.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 19, 2023
Last Updated on March 21, 2023
Tags: Winter, Spring, sadness

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren