Grief plays heavy on the heart

Grief plays heavy on the heart

A Poem by Gee
"

Winter, like grief often lingers on. For Deb and mum

"
How patient spring who bides her time
whilst winter lingers on,
as yellow, white, break frozen earth
to a lone wren's sweet birdsong,
that carries through fog heavy air
'tween chestnut, birch and pine
to trail away beyond the eye
beyond all hopes of mine.
For winter like my sadness dwells
plays heavy on the heart,
oh how I wish this ache to cease
for the darkness to depart.

© 2023 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Not written in a while so please feel free to chip in to improve if you see fit :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your words are almost musical in this one. The image of the wren singing is perhaps the most striking to me, because it offers hope but the narrator is still too far to be able grasp it. This poem is very beautiful and effective and I do not doubt I will come back to read it again soon.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Hazy
Dear Gee,

A beautiful description of the lingering winter, still flexing her muscles, keeping the patient spring at bay. Hope, though, lingers close by in the wren's sweet birdsong. This too shall pass, they say, and the cold season will give way but the winter in the heart is a more permanent one. When I think of my loved ones lost, I realize that the wish for sweet release is perhaps, wishful thinking. Those loved ones are missed at every significant life event, at every juncture. However, relief does come in moments of memories treasured.

I loved the poem and have no suggestions to make. It was great to read you after such a long while.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thank you Divya, appreciate your kind words
DIVYA

1 Year Ago

You are most welcome Gee. Enjoy your week. :)
Seasonal pain and its darkness is hard to endure
Grief for any loss in life stays, however one tries . Especially for lost darlings. Is hard to feel what those missed would want for their precious people. Today, you'll know the date, turns the tap on tears. But,, we try to e to look back on times when smiles, laughter and silliness ruled the air.

No, not easy as your beautiful words say,
'to fade away beyond the eye - beyond all hopes of mine, - for winter like my sadness dwells - plays heavy on the heart - oh how I long for sweet release -for the darkness to depart.'

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Good morning. Just back from breakfast/brunch with the three generations of lovely ladies. Been thin.. read more
emmajoy

1 Year Ago

As you say, life can be so very cruel. 'Times when so many thoughts and feelings crop up.
Be.. read more
There is no length of time to grieve or mourn Gee, despite what experts say. I still think of my grandpa every day and miss him so much and he died the year star wars came out.
They say that death when you're young can complicate things like the proper mourning process through your incomprehension, and that grief when older can make us reflect on our own inevitable end. You never hear them talking about how great these people were or how missed they'll be.
In other words, they don't half talk a lot of s**t and know about as much on the subject as astrology.
How much you miss them is how much you miss them. End of.
Sorry for your ongoing loss my friend.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Gee

1 Year Ago

Thanks Lorry.
Cannot get over the loss of the beautiful Deb, guess I will heal when I heal:)<.. read more
Lorry

1 Year Ago

I am. Well, as well as well can be anyway, for someone from the frozen North.
Been on a slow .. read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
25 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 19, 2023
Last Updated on March 21, 2023
Tags: Winter, Spring, sadness

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren