The Story of Juliet

The Story of Juliet

A Chapter by Shelbie

Life was about what you could do and what you can't, whom you could see and whom you can't, where you could go and where you can't, but I never listen. How can we live in a limitless world with so many limits?  I am out for adventure and freedom. I guess you can say I found it. Because here I am lying on the beaten dirt path in a giant cloud of dust from the stamping horses circling me. Vultures watching their prey. An arrow pierces my leg and my skirt swells with my lost blood. This is just a small part of my hectic life. It seems pretty big when you think about it, but it is absolutely nothing compared to my past.

 

I feel as if this little village, called Hartwell, has me in a trap. It isn’t much (which is probably why we don't have many visitors) but everyone seems to like it. Especially my mother, Eleanora. She loves this village. "Why do we have to stay here?" "Because my darling, we like it here." "No we don't!" I protested. "When you are older, you’ll learn to love Hartwell for all the small things. You won’t hate it for the things it is not."  When I was 13 years old, I didn't understand her. Now that I am 18, I still do not understand. Years later, I have my little sister, Natalie, and my best friend, Jonathan, and yet I am still as clueless as ever. Of course, when I was 14  I didn't know much, so it was easy to improve upon myself. Growing up with only a mother to care for Natalie, and myself, I always felt bad. At the same time, I always felt like leaving this small town. I feel as if there is something more for me. I don’t know what exactly, but it’s as if the wind can lift me up and take me anywhere.

 

When I met Jonathan, at 13 years old, he asked my mother if I could come out to play. "Tell him, I am not home okay?" "Well darling, you might as well tell him yourself you're practically half way out the door." It was true; the only thing really blocking Jonathan from my view was my mother. That was just my view; he could clearly see my legs between my mothers. Jonathan, being the clever boy he was, said, "Alright, I'll just go ask someone else to play with me." "Alright" my mother responded in an upset tone. I never ever want to disappoint her. "Fine! I am here! All right? I'll go with you! But I must be back in time for dinner." I said with an attitude. "Well then let’s go!" Jonathan was extremely excited and so was I. He was just like me, no friends. 

 

My mother had met up with someone when I was 13. I only saw him once. I woke up one morning, walked to the dining table and patiently waited for something to eat. In our little home, there was a dining table, my bed pushed away in the corner, and my mother’s bed tucked around a corner in what we referred to as the bedroom. The layout of our home did not leave any space for privacy. It was the most our family of two could afford. I always waited to eat because my mother never had enough food in the house. She had to ration it all. Which meant if I was up first (which was rare) I would have to wait until she sorted out our meals for the day. She came out from around the corner and jumped in shock to see I was up. "Did I wake you?" she yelled. It made jump a little and slightly worry that my mother was so jumpy. "No" I replied cautiously. "Okay well it's..." she paused "much...much… too early! Yes! Too early for you to be up! You need your rest go sleep and I will prepare our meals." "Alright mother." I got out of my seat, walked back to my bed, and climbed in. I laid down on my back and closed my eyes. "Roll over darling." I did so, but I heard footsteps that I did not recognize to be my mothers. They were heavy, heavy enough to shake my home. My curiosity had gotten the best of me. I did not close my eyes and go to sleep I glanced over my shoulder to see the cause of the thunder in my home.

 

That was when I saw him. He was scary looking, a face that shot fear into people’s hearts. Now I am glad that I only had a parting glance and nothing more. He is lightening, a natural disaster that you cannot miss. I see his features in Natalie's face. I also see his build in her body. Is that weird? I feel sorry for the poor girl she has a big figure for an 8 year old. She is almost tall as I am and chubbier. People believe we are the same age. (I give the impression of being younger than I really am) She has a masculine defined jaw line, thick eyebrows and a tree trunk for a nose. She is beautiful to older men. To me she is my little sister, but I am the complete opposite. I am thin, with a round face, thin eyebrows, and a thinner nose. I ate less than I did when it was just mother and I (Natalie was just a little girl). Now Natalie is growing (at a rapid-mystery-man-thunder rate) so I save some of my rations and give them to her.

 

That is home life for me. Taking care of my sister. When I am not home, I am out with Jonathan, looking for ways to take care of my mother. I found a system when Jonathan and I were 14. Natalie was about 4 years old.  The house was too crowded so Jonathan invited me out to the woods. My mother objected but Jonathan being even more clever than he was at 12, had managed to convince my mother we would be completely safe. She gave us a reluctant yes. We ran out of the house excited as ever! I insisted he teach me his ways of persuasion, but he claimed it took charm and grace. Two traits he believes I do not have. I can be graceful I will soon find out later. And as for the charm... well you'll see where that gets me. 

 

(Remember the lovely ponies that surrounded me as I laid there in the dirt?)




© 2016 Shelbie


Author's Note

Shelbie
Let me know if there are any errors in my writing! I try my best to correct my mistakes but sometimes it helps to have a new opinion!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Aww this is a great intro to the story. I love how you already gave a good look at the other characters. I am slightly confused with the man though, is he Natalie's father? But apart from that this is really good and I loved it. Can't wait to read the next chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelbie

8 Years Ago

OMG! Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I really appreciate it! Yes, the man is her fathe.. read more



Reviews

You ask for advice regarding errors and I'd like to suggest that it's accepted practice to start a new line every time another person speaks So "Why do we have to stay here?" "Because my darling, we like it here." "No we don't!" I protested. ... should be
"Why do we have to stay here?"
"Because my darling, we like it here."
"No we don't!" I protested.
And ao on ... it makes reading easier.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelbie

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
Aww this is a great intro to the story. I love how you already gave a good look at the other characters. I am slightly confused with the man though, is he Natalie's father? But apart from that this is really good and I loved it. Can't wait to read the next chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelbie

8 Years Ago

OMG! Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I really appreciate it! Yes, the man is her fathe.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 3, 2016
Last Updated on February 3, 2016


Author

Shelbie
Shelbie

San Fernando , CA



About
Aspiring author, likes chowmein, and beanies more..

Writing
Our First Meeting Our First Meeting

A Chapter by Shelbie


I Was Lost I Was Lost

A Chapter by Shelbie