An Exchange of Words

An Exchange of Words

A Chapter by Shelbie

I am laying on the ground for what seems like a lifetime, then prince yells, "Why did you ruin my shot?" I am now furious. He shouldn't be chasing wild animals out of the forest and through the village. Someone important can get hurt. He and I both know I am not that important person. "Why do you have bad aim?" I fumed. I am so annoyed that he thinks this is somehow my fault. As if, I just purposefully ran out looking for him to shoot me. Here's the catch, not because I like pain but because I want to ruin it for the prince. No! I would never do that. The prince definitely has two things wrong with him, and I don't even know him. One, He thinks everything is all about him and two, he thinks everyone is out to get him. "I don't have bad aim," He ranted. "In fact I have excellent aim. I know how to hit my target! I am not some pompous idiot!" Well he sure does sound like one. "I can tell you know how aim because of all the blood!" I sneer at him.

 

"Hey!" a guard shouts. It turns my attention past the prince. Along with all of the equestrians. It is one of the guards that chased me out of the forest and into this crime scene. Although this will never be taken as a crime. He finally caught up to me, or us. "That's the girl from the woods." The other equestrians gasped. Almost as if, it is some huge revelation. Thank heavens we have found her! I started to grin at my joke. "How was I supposed to know that hut was occupied?" I mumbled back at the overly excited guard.

 

Hut is such a weak definition compared to the cottage Jonathan and I found. However, I will say anything to escape the hands of royalty. "YOU ARE THE ONE MY MEN WERE CHASING?" the Prince is livid. Almost shaking with anger. "Well," I spoke calmly "I guess you do 'know how to hit your target'." "You are coming with me!" I have a feeling I am anyway but thanks for reassuring me. I am mad that I will have to follow his orders. That is the last thing I want to do. However, I don’t really have a choice in the matter.

 

"Guards pick her up!" He shouted at the men on foot. They both hustled over to me. They grab my arms; one on each side and haul me up. "Stand up straight!" The prince commands. Can he see my leg? My skirt is a bloody, sticky mess as it clings to my legs with the arrow ripping a bigger hole. "I don't know if you have noticed, but I can't." The prince nods to the guards. I suddenly find myself collapsing on the ground. I glimpse up at him to see a devilish smirk across his face.

 

"This is what happens when you have an attitude." "Well please accept my apology and know that I do not mean it," I reply. "Well you should be aware of who you are dealing with." "Oh trust me I know exactly who I am dealing with." “I don't think you do." He crouches down to my level. "Do you know who I am?" "Yes your highness." "Well you should try a little harder to keep yourself out of trouble," He whispers to me. "So you mean I should stay out of your way?" "Precisely," he says proudly. As if he finally got the message across to me. To him I am no one, yet someone that is required to show respect. Funny how that works.

 

As the prince crouches down I can see his features clear as day. He has a strong jaw line and a long oval face with full pink lips. His nose is perfectly long and straight. His green eyes are sparkling against his tan skin. They bring a familiar light to his face. His skin a complete contrast to his dark brown hair. It is a curly mess lightly touching the back of his neck. I can see a beauty mark on his neck. Actually two, one less prominent. He is tall and muscular. His teeth are a shade of white so clear, I didn't think existed.

 

I hate him. He can get whatever he wants just based on his looks. I hate people like that. They think they own the world; and what’s worse is that people aren't afraid to let them. People will not care if he is royalty they will give him the clothes on their backs if he asks, although he will not ask. Princes' do not ask, they take. I hate pretty boys. Jonathan is the only exception.

 

Jonathan is taller than me which is perfect, because he towers over me making me feel short. I usually feel huge because Eleanora is super short while Natalie is a little shorter than I am. Jonathan has short blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. I love to stare at them. I do it all the time, he doesn't mind because he argues that mine are prettier.  Which means if anyone spent time with us, they will have to sit through silence while we have our moments. We're best friends, but to others, they might think we're freaks. Too bad I don't care what people think. In a small village like Hartwell, you can't keep secrets. You just have to be yourself.

 

The prince stands up and turns to his horsemen. I look past him to see I have an audience of a few villagers. This town is small enough, for everyone to know each other. I glance at the crowd to search for my mother. Among the familiar faces, I do not see her. A thought came to the back of my mind. ‘Will I ever see her again?’

 

"Guards pick her back up and take her to the castle for further questioning." The guards lift me up by my arms again and swing me around to haul me towards the castle. "Wait!" The prince shouts. The guards stop as the prince jogs up to our backsides. I feel a sharp agonizing pain as I hear wood cracking. He rips the arrow out of my leg with such a crooked force that it brakes. I scream in pain. "I'll send this to my men to fix. It will come in handy once I find that elk. Take her away." And with that, I am on my way to the front gates of the castle.





© 2016 Shelbie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on February 3, 2016
Last Updated on February 3, 2016


Author

Shelbie
Shelbie

San Fernando , CA



About
Aspiring author, likes chowmein, and beanies more..

Writing
Our First Meeting Our First Meeting

A Chapter by Shelbie


I Was Lost I Was Lost

A Chapter by Shelbie