Finding Home

Finding Home

A Chapter by Shelbie

I woke up the morning after I had been lost in the forest, dreaming about the woman in white. She was talking to me but I still could not tell what she was saying to me. It had become a reoccurring dream of mine. I looked around and remembered that I was in Eleanora's house, in her bed. I was glad she was not a bad person, from what I could see, but I still needed to know who I was. I could not stay there with her. I was a lost kid. I needed to find my family. I wondered if I was the youngest child. Maybe I had a big family and I was easily distracted and wandered off. Maybe it was difficult to keep track of all the children so I was forgotten. Hopefully they remembered I was missing and they were looking for me. All I had to do was go back to the forest and wait. I was so excited I got up and headed towards the door.

 

"Where are you going?" Eleanora had been sitting at the table and I did not notice her when marched on by. "I'm going to find my family," I proudly stated. "Okay, well, give me a moment." Eleanora stood up. I did not even realize she had a child sleeping in her arms. I thought she must have been a baby. "I have to drop her off at a friend’s house." "Oh, you don't need to come with me," I told her. "She’s three and her name is Natalie." Eleanora  answered my silent, unspoken question about the child. She must have noticed me staring. I now know that Eleanora is extremely observant. She knows how I am feeling before I do.

 

"I don't want to just leave you alone in the woods. What kind of person would I be?" At first, I thought she was going to ask 'What kind of person would do that?' But maybe I was just sensitive. Especially in a time like this. In the back of my mind, I was thinking I was not wanted. However, since I do not know who I am, that was a little crazy to believe. So many different scenarios could have happened. Not being wanted would be the least likely. I was sure that I was just a child that was too curious for my own good.

 

Eleanora grabbed a bag and walked out the front door. I followed at a distance. She started walking at a much faster pace. I was in awe looking at the little town. It was cute with tiny huts. Everyone was out just like yesterday when I got here. I then realized I did not know where 'here' was. "Where are we?" I asked "Hartwell," Eleanora said over her shoulder. The sleeping child rested her head over Eleanora's left shoulder. I examined her. She look so peaceful. I wondered if that was how I was as a child.

 

Eleanora stepped into a little hut. I stood in the doorway. I did not want to walk into a stranger’s home. Eleanora was the exception to that, because I trusted her. I knew she was not going to hurt me. She genuinely wanted to help me. "Hey Lydia," Eleanora called out. "Can you watch Natalie for me?" "Again?" A woman called out. "Yes please," Eleanora said. "I know I said I wouldn't go out today, but things have changed." "Why?" The woman asked. "Is it Hugh?" "No," Eleanora responded. The woman appeared out of what I thought was her room.

 

"Hello," the woman said to me. "Hi," I mumbled. "What's your name? My name is Lydia," She spoke so sweetly. "Lydia," Eleanora interrupted "Can I talk to you?" "Sure" Lydia responded. Eleanora laid Natalie on the couch. They both walked off as I stood awkwardly in the doorway. I stepped in wondering if I should try to hear what they are saying. I figured they would be too quiet and I would be too loud. I could not fool them so I just stood there patiently waiting.

 

Eleanora then emerged with Lydia following behind. Eleanora then led me out the front door. While Lydia reached for the sleeping girl on the couch. Eleanora stepped outside after me, turned, and waved goodbye. "I'm going to take you around Hartwell and ask if anyone recognizes you." "Okay" I acknowledged her plan but I was not sure if I liked it. I did not really want strangers eyeing me. Seeing if they knew me.

 

I followed Eleanora through the town and went to every house. Every time Eleanora would say 'wait here' and leave me waiting outside the house. She would step in to greet whoever was home. She would then turn towards me and look back. Whomever she was talking to would glance past her to see me. They would either shake their heads or tell her 'no'. It was sad every time she walked out of a house. Then hopeful each time she walked into a new one. It was like this all day until we had been to each house.

 

At the end of it, we got to a dirt road that looked like it split the town in half. There were buildings on the other side of the road. It looked like a market place. I stared at it while Eleanora was in the last few houses. She then emerged from the last house and said, "That's the market place. I work there and I will take you there tomorrow." "Okay" "let’s get Natalie and go home." I followed Eleanora feeling defeated.

 

We got to Lydia's house. "Hello!" She chimed "How was it?" Eleanora shook her head. "Nothing," She answered. "Well there's always tomorrow!" She exclaimed. She was very upbeat and happy. I wondered if she was always like that or if it was just for me. Natalie was asleep again as Lydia picked her up and handed her to Eleanora. Man that kid could sleep. Either she slept that whole time or she fell asleep again.

 

We arrived at Eleanora's house and I realized how hungry I was. Neither of us had eaten all day. I was too anxious to notice until I was tired and ready to sleep. Hartwell was not that big but there were many homes to weave around. "Here, have a muffin." Eleanora handed me a muffin. "Are you tired?" She asked "Yes," I answered. "Alright, she said, "Let’s get you to bed." Eleanora led me back to the bedroom and tucked me in.

 

She took a deep breath and let it all out. "I'm sorry," She apologized. "We can go to the market place and look around tomorrow." "Okay" I felt like that was all I did today. Stand on display and say okay. I was worried that I was only going to do that for the rest of my life. "Good night," She whispered. "Good night Eleanora," I replied. She left and I stared at the celling. I hoped that tomorrow I would find my home. I didn't want to spend another night here, I thought to myself.





© 2016 Shelbie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on February 3, 2016
Last Updated on February 3, 2016


Author

Shelbie
Shelbie

San Fernando , CA



About
Aspiring author, likes chowmein, and beanies more..

Writing
Our First Meeting Our First Meeting

A Chapter by Shelbie


I Was Lost I Was Lost

A Chapter by Shelbie