Perspective and Perpetual Distraction

Perspective and Perpetual Distraction

A Poem by Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

What do you feel, when you look out

of a clear window -- a glass door -- 

and the moon is suspended low in the sky:

             orange hazed face coaxing

            sunset to an abrupt crescendo?

 

For me it is only a flash in time -- a snapshot --

that becomes a memory, as quickly as it was real:

            filed away under experience,

            or the heading of future imagery.

 

Sometimes I worry that I cannot love a thing deeply enough,

because I see a wicker basket of details in everything --

 

            faces are fragments of expression, Willows are inkblots

            upon twilight’s feathered seam, the curvature of night is 

            an opaque curtain embellished with backlit diamonds.

 

For just one day I want to borrow your eyes --

to see the world from the other side -- with perspective -- 

blind to everything except what reads as a whole:

            I want to see only purple,

            not varying degrees of mulberry and wine.

 

© 2013 Girl Friday (Sarah W.)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Me
Love this, profound and thought provoking, I often wish I could see through someone else eyes,wonderful imagery too...enjoyed :) x

Posted 10 Years Ago


I believe that poets like photographers often see something through a camera's lens and miss truly interacting with the scenes they are viewing. No matter how wide their focus, they still are missing part of the picture. But if we didn't have poets or photographers, how much of life would we be missing? People who do focus give those who don't in depth views of moments caught in time forever - moments made immortal in words or pictures. We owe a lot to those who have given us such gifts. Thanks for another beautiful poem, Sarah, and for giving your readers a chance to focus on capturing the moment.

Posted 10 Years Ago


You see the world that many of us never see until we read one of your poems. There is great beauty in the imprints and details of everyday things and you bring them to us in the most exquisite ways.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Don't go borrowing my eyes....they're different colors! ; )

"I want to see only purple,
not varying degrees of mulberry and wine."

...but isn't that what perspective is? It's your view...your take of whatever you perceive something to be. My thought process is always engaged whenever I read you, Sarah!



Posted 10 Years Ago


Sarah, you are a poet. It's all about the details, girl. Always give yourself extra time, there will be distraction! I happen to love seeing varying degrees of mulberry and wine. Plain old purple is just plain old boring! Loved this. You should be used to me saying that by now! Angi~

Posted 10 Years Ago


faces are fragments of expression, Willows are inkblots
upon twilight’s feathered seam, ............... Marvelous write Sarah .

Personally, when I look through the open window, I try to explore the horizon . It expands my capacity to think. :)


Posted 10 Years Ago


This was a wonderful piece of poetic creation. It resonates with my very soul. I don't know how many times I've had issues getting close to people or certain situations for fear that things would only be seen and remember by me as a simple quantified existence.
Yet, I honestly wonder if it is possible to see just the whole and not slide into those fractle realities. I think it falls under human nature to catagorize and file everything they come into contact with. No matter how hard one doesn't follow that trend, they still do in certain areas of their lives.
Perhaps that's a human flaw, or perhaps it's the tool that we were given to be able to function as well as we do?

Or perhaps we are all everybody elses's subjective dreams and reality is only a solid a whispy moon ray or a fleeting nocturnal blink of the eyes.

Great Poetry! I enjoyed reading and absorbing this one!
Aaron - Wolfwind

Posted 10 Years Ago


I love this. Love the eloquence.

Posted 10 Years Ago


You really do freze moments in time. Cezanne said 'One minute in the life of the world is going by, paint it as it is' This you do, but layer it with so much plurality at the same time that it takes on the richness that I so admire in your work.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2147 Views
47 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 28, 2013
Last Updated on August 28, 2013

Author

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

The Beach, CA



About
"She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." - Charles Bukowski A NOTE TO MY FRIENDS: Thank you, everyone, who has supported me so kindly on this site. I am humbled by your kind revie.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil