The half a century ago young boy

The half a century ago young boy

A Poem by Gee
"

A winter walk with the pooch

"
Tis cold and still this winter morn'
and no matter how I'm wrapped,
my bones are invaded by the chill
and my lips are dry and chapped.
Dew drops drip from my reddened nose
ear lobes, frost bitten, burn,
oh how I long for spring to come
and for the warmth of sun I yearn.
But this of little consequence
if any consequence at all,
to my spaniel racing here and there
in pursuit of his far flung ball.
For everyday is the best of days
come rain or shine or hail,
and this he proclaims with excited barks
and the wagging of his tail.
Endless is his energy,
boundless is the joy,
that rekindles in this ageing man
the half a century ago young boy...







© 2020 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Yet more simple fayre, but hey, what else would you expect :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A good write
It is interesting what effect a loving dog can have on its male companions.
I am long past racing around but the exuberant activity of our little character brings as much pleasure to us as it does to him.
Recent snow is bringing an impatient pause (for him)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thanks Dave. I hate the cold but will gladly take the pooches walking when it is freezing, love 'em .. read more
I don't know why you have doubts about this Gee, It describes the pleasure we get from our dogs, perfectly.
Having just had to say goodbye to our 15 year old Yorkie, I miss those days. Eventually we shall get a replacement, but will have to find something that won't pull me off my feet!!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you Norman.Get a St Bernard, you could ride it :))
Hope you are well
Just hit the half century mark too. I get that exact feeling when my granddaughter arrives LOL boundless energy and such zeal for everything:) If you really had questions as to whether your poem was lacking in conveyance I can reassure you that it does not it brought me back to those childhood memories too.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Good morning Robert, thank you. GRANDFATHER, yours too young :))
Hope you are well
Gee

4 Years Ago

You are....
A wonderful poem shared my friend. The simple days and fun times of our youth. We shall never forget. Old friends, we cannot forget. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you Coyote.
Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend.
Not too sure Gee? I think you hit the nail on the head perfectly here. The boundless joy and energy of youth, whether human or canine, should make us fondly reminisce our own youthful days with a smile, rather than the less scenic route of grumpiness.
I only mention this as my new year resolution is to let things go more, rather than let things get me down. But then a bird crapped on my drive on new yearsday and straight back to grumpy old sod i went.
Sometimes seeing that tail bounce and wag can bring smiles as well as sadness our youth is gone, in all but recollection.
Think this is spot on.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

On to be a pup without a care in the world :)
Cheers Lorry, hope you are well
dogs won't be able to look back half a century as humans can...they just live for the moment, enjoy, and wag their tails.
unlike them, we humans constantly look back to the past...wonder about the future....and realize how fast time flies once we age...we can't help knowing there will be an end...lucky dog, he just cares about now.
I can surely relate to this, although I am quite a bit more than a half century from that childhood.
j.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob.
If reincarnation an option I'll be back as a well looked after pooch :)
The contrast between the outlook of the spaniel and it’s human in the same climatic conditions is so amazing...Animals can inspire us no end and this is one of those things, their boundless energy, innocent excitement and love for life...I enjoyed this poem a lot Gee.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you Divya
i like it as is my friend! i know the scene .. tho now the bitterness of winter doesn't touch me any more as I flew south far enough to escape but not so far as to loose the seasons .. the images and action with your pup is heart warming in comparison ... love the tribute you pay him ... and i like how this poem lilts to rhyming in the closing 8 lines ...
E.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Gee

4 Years Ago

Thank you E. It is such fun to walk him, he's nuts :))
Einstein Noodle

4 Years Ago

ahahaha i know what you mean ... that's Bella, my Bull Mastiff in my avatar .. she recently passed I.. read more
Gee

4 Years Ago

A gift indeed, love 'em

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 5, 2020
Last Updated on January 31, 2020
Tags: Man, dog, walking, love

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee