Sing a Song of Taj Mahal

Sing a Song of Taj Mahal

A Poem by S.zaynab.kamoonpury
"

Celebrating Muslim architecture in my motherland India Click on top side pic to zoom the picture of the Taj

"
Sing a song of Tajmahal
a fine nazm or a ghazal
Of this landmark for lovers
Ah, a lover's edifice
Complete with medieval bowers
It's a Mecca for tourists!
Tis sensational, tis exceptional
tis truly a touristy place.

Watch the shimmer of its magnificent marbled dome
Moonlight or sunlight, it glimmers of imperial chrome
It's ironical then
that though Indian-Arabian I am
I haven't yet been to this touristy place

It is truly as they must say, a lover's shrine
a place where hearts duly incline
They find it steamy
I find it dreamy
Oh, I've got to see for myself this touristy place.

Each of the marbled minarets
conceal such romantic secrets
for lovers to silently explore
to admire and to adore
A place human lovebirds couldn't ignore.
Ah you've got to visit this touristy place!

Two famed lovers lie in the legendary vault below
and the stream too it has a romantic flow
It's a lovers haven and paradise on earth
Even dead passions there undergo a rebirth
Ah, rekindle my love for you in this touristy place!

Extol I may this awesome imposing edifice
A greed for pure love is perhaps better than avarice
Löng live the legend of Shah jahan and Mumtaz mahal
Long live love and love like a Moghul
so forever we have this monumental grace!
Yeah take me my luv to this touristy place!

© 2019 S.zaynab.kamoonpury


Author's Note

S.zaynab.kamoonpury
Click and Zoom on pic for close up view of picture.

Celebrating Muslim architecture in my motherland India

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Gosh, Zaynab!
How wonderfully your words touch my heart, on into my very core, from your poem of this wondrous, other-worldly edifice.
The earth over, the Taj Mahal is know as the crown palace of lovers, and one has to but lay eyes on its incomparable beauty to know the reason why.

Zaynab,
My respect and fondness for your poem is without question. I love Free Verse and Free Style poetry, and Rhyming Couplets … all of which you've so very deftly included in your wonderfully composed and presented poem. My hat's off to you, my fine poet friend. The only issue I have is your use of the repeated word "touristy" in describing the Taj Mahal, because it lends a kind of advertisement/material ambiance to the mood, rather than the spiritually enthralling/romantically embracing wonder that it should portray.
A far better and more appropriate word would be heavenly, glorious. enthralling, etc; to touch the places within our imaginations that will take us heart and soul to this wondrously beguiling place.
Please, replace the word "touristy" with something more appropriately deserving, complimenting, and poetic.

Other than that, I think your poem is a virtual masterpiece, and I thank you ever-so gratefully for your invitation to enjoy it with you, My Friend! ⁓ Richard 🍃

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S.zaynab.kamoonpury

4 Years Ago

Thanks soo much for your delightful review and constructive criticism. Your views on the Taj are ric.. read more



Reviews

What a beautiful place and poem to describe it so aptly.

How perfect it would be to see it in person.
thank you for this description and the pic, S.
j.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Wow!

Though I have never been to the Taj Mahal or India a that, I have always held an affinity to the landmark and wish to go. Your poem is really beautiful and paints such an amazing picture. I do agree with other commenters though, the word "touristy" pulls away from the lovers story and the romanticism of the poem. I think that speaking of tourism and materialism in contrast to a place of such beauty is an interesting idea and definitely realistic nowadays, but it's two very contrasting ideas in this poem itself.
Either way, fantastic work. I really enjoyed reading this piece and found myself connecting to it :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


More venerated and heavenly than touristy, if you ask me.

Constructed in 1632 by a Muslim Emperor and now the pride and joy of Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Jain, Buddhist & Atheist INDIANS alike.

Famed Indian poet, Tagore relates the image of the Taj Mahal to a tear drop on the cheek of eternity. The Taj is to be revered as it testifies to the indestructibility of love in the face of ephemeral time.

In this case, the divine marble monument, by its very universal message and its magnificence has long surpassed and over-shone its builder, Shah Jahan, to assume a much greater identity, as an enduring symbol of the rich cultural heritage of the great nation, INDIA.

Posted 4 Years Ago


S.zaynab.kamoonpury

4 Years Ago

I admire how Tagore described it so poetically. I love your comment too Divya. Take care.
A very vivid description contained in this poem, which has a musical feel to it. The poem is somewhat free verse, but nevertheless it has a smooth flow and is easy to read and it rhymes in some places. I agree with the sentiment expressed, and you have rightly described The Taj Mahal as a monument to undying love.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Of course it is a place that lovers should grace. It was built, was it not, because of the undying love the builder had for his wife. The fact that it has become "touristy' owes to its' magnificent beauty. I must admit that it is on my own "bucket list" of places I'd like to see before I die.
Take care - Dave

Posted 4 Years Ago


dear Zaynab.. I agree with Richard... the word “touristy” should not be used not even once in your poem. It does not do justice to the lovely Taj Mahal... as touristy is much too common a term to be associated with your style of poetry.
We need to take heed of advice when given with respect and admiration. truly, Pat

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dear Zaynab... the Taj Mahal with Medieval bowers so romantic... a feeling of peace and love entwined. Your poetry has me in a dance 💃 so divine. truly, Pat

Posted 4 Years Ago


Very lovely poem about a landmark (which I didn't know about it until now). I enjoyed it. Wish I had the time to visit the place.

Posted 4 Years Ago


S.zaynab.kamoonpury

4 Years Ago

Oh you didn't know of it eh, you should visit it pretty poetess. Warm thanks for comment.
NotUsinganymore

4 Years Ago

Thank you!
Gosh, Zaynab!
How wonderfully your words touch my heart, on into my very core, from your poem of this wondrous, other-worldly edifice.
The earth over, the Taj Mahal is know as the crown palace of lovers, and one has to but lay eyes on its incomparable beauty to know the reason why.

Zaynab,
My respect and fondness for your poem is without question. I love Free Verse and Free Style poetry, and Rhyming Couplets … all of which you've so very deftly included in your wonderfully composed and presented poem. My hat's off to you, my fine poet friend. The only issue I have is your use of the repeated word "touristy" in describing the Taj Mahal, because it lends a kind of advertisement/material ambiance to the mood, rather than the spiritually enthralling/romantically embracing wonder that it should portray.
A far better and more appropriate word would be heavenly, glorious. enthralling, etc; to touch the places within our imaginations that will take us heart and soul to this wondrously beguiling place.
Please, replace the word "touristy" with something more appropriately deserving, complimenting, and poetic.

Other than that, I think your poem is a virtual masterpiece, and I thank you ever-so gratefully for your invitation to enjoy it with you, My Friend! ⁓ Richard 🍃

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S.zaynab.kamoonpury

4 Years Ago

Thanks soo much for your delightful review and constructive criticism. Your views on the Taj are ric.. read more
S,
This truly one of your best! You brought me there!
T

Posted 4 Years Ago


S.zaynab.kamoonpury

4 Years Ago

Aw I'm so glad you think so poet Kentuck! Thanks so much for comment!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

460 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 23, 2019
Last Updated on October 23, 2019

Author

S.zaynab.kamoonpury
S.zaynab.kamoonpury

About
I like to call myself a poetess even though I'm no professional or conventional at writing poetry. Have been writing poems for some time and readers say they get message and/or entertainment from the.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..