Mr. Geisler

Mr. Geisler

A Chapter by Tobi

Within the vast library of his mansion, Werner Geisler sat at a desk in his wheelchair, a large old tome open in front of him while Charles paced around the room.

“Thanks for handling the Benjamin situation,” Geisler said.

“My pleasure,” Charles said.

“Why are you pacing so much?  Something on your mind?”

Actually, yes.  We are one of the most powerful groups in the city, yes?”

“I suppose so.”

“Why don’t we make it the most powerful?” Charles said.  “Why don’t we make it the only?”

“And what makes you think we can achieve that?”

“There are loads of small groups out there that we could take over like that.  Get enough of them, we work our way up until we’ve got the largest organisation and we can take on the main rivals.”

“Ambition’s for the young.  It would take a lot of work but you’re the one in charge now.  It’s up to you.  Success or failure, it won’t affect me much.  I just get to watch from the sidelines now so if you want to give it a go, I will be observing with great interest.”

“I’ll make it a good show,” Charles promised.

“No doubt.  You know, we’ve never really talked about it before, but I’m very impressed for you taking your sentence so well after the bank job…like a true human.  How did you find Edgeways?”

“Honestly?” Charles said.  “I loved it.”

***

A group of men sat around a table of a motel office when an unconscious man burst through the door and landed roughly on the floor.  They all got up in a panic as Charles entered with a large group of his men.

“Good evening gentlemen,” Charles said.

“Who the hell are you?” the one in charge said.

“My name is Charles.  You don’t need to introduce yourself, it is of little importance.  What is important is that you have a lot of friends running a few pathetic rackets and I’ve come here today just to let you know that they all work for me starting today.”

“You think you can just come in here and demand from me?” he laughed.  “I’m waiting for the reason why I don’t throw you guys out of here…or at least your heads.”

“Wait,” one of his men said.  “I know this guy.  He was in Edgeways at the same time as me.”

“So?”

“I think maybe you should listen to him.  That’s the guy who ran the whole prison.”

“You mean ‘King’ Charles?”

Charles approached their leader and placed his hands on his shoulders.  “That’s right,” he said.  “Don’t worry.  There’s no shame in this.  Soon everyone like you will be answering to me.  Think of it as a Union.”

“What happens to those who don’t agree?”

“Well…” Charles smiled.  “…Then things get a bit more interesting.”

***

In a large restaurant under renovation, a gunfight was occurring between Charles’ men and some of their enemies.

The rival boss fled into the kitchen as more and more of his men were gunned down.

Running through the kitchen, the Boss nervously looked back for pursuers who weren’t there.  As he was almost at the back exit to the alley, Zedd entered through it and stood in front of the Boss, calmly.

“Wait…” the Boss said.  “Just wait a minute.”

Zedd raised a gun, so did the Boss but he was too slow and got a bullet in the head.

***

Every chair at the long dining table in Geisler Manor was filled with crime bosses, their henchmen standing not too far away.

Charles sat in the large dark wooden chair at the front, Zedd by his side.

“Why’d you call us here?” Hesitance, a grim woman, said.  “This better be important.”

“Important for you, yes,” Charles said.  “First I want to thank you all for coming.  As I know, our business takes a lot of work.  Now, you’re all reasonably intelligent humans so I’ll assume you already know what’s happening?”

“You mean you moving in on all the smaller operations?” McGregor, another boss, said.

“No,” Charles said.  “Me moving in on everything.  I’m not here to bluff you, I have a greater grasp on things than any of you now.  I’ve absorbed many of my local competitors and those that didn’t willingly agree, I used…alternative methods.”

“I’ll say,” Grantham said.

“Now it’s time for all of you to choose,” Charles said.  “All you have to do is join my organisation and you’ll keep everything.  Your men, your businesses but more importantly, your lives.”

“No one with any self-respect would agree to this,” McGregor said.

“You wanna find out?” Charles said.  “Very well.  Let it be known that for those who stand with me today will be the fortunate ones.  Those who go against me…I shall show no mercy.  So…make your choice ladies and gentlemen.  All you have to do is stand with me…right now.  Who here wishes for peace?”

A few seconds passed and Charles eyed each one of them in turn with an unyielding confidence.  Eventually, one by one, they rose to their feet and stood behind Charles’ chair, leaving only Grantham, McGregor and Hesitance still sitting.

“What do you all think you’re doing?” Hesitance demanded.

“We’re taking our chances with King Charles,” one of Charles’ new ‘subjects’ said.

“Last chance you three,” Charles said.  “What say you now?”

Hesitance immediately left, with Grantham and McGregor following soon after.

“Well,” Charles said mostly to himself.  “I suppose sticking with your principles is an admirable trait…except in these circumstances of course.”

***

As Geisler sat in his wheelchair, an oxygen mask over his face, while staring out his bedroom window, Charles’ reflection appeared in it as he stood behind him.

“How did you fare?” Geisler inquired.

“Better than I thought,” Charles said.  “Only three remain.”

“How will you handle it?”

“I’ve already arranged a private meeting with McGregor, just us two and no guns.  I tried to get one with Grantham but he was too afraid so he’s going to send his right hand Crowe instead.  As for Hesitance, she outright refused…not even any room for persuasion.  I’ve different plans for her.”

“Very well.  Good work Charles, you’re doing better than I thought.  Just be careful you don’t get killed.”

A few silent moments passed by, before they both started to laugh, with Geisler’s laughs very rapidly degrading into coughs.



© 2009 Tobi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on July 16, 2009
Last Updated on July 28, 2009


Author

Tobi
Tobi

United Kingdom



Writing
Purple & Pink Purple & Pink

A Poem by Tobi