The Hunter

The Hunter

A Chapter by Tobi

Not everyday of Joseph Webb’s life was spent trying to bring down King Charles Gravesen, but certainly most.  However, this day was not one of them.  Today, he simply spent his time taking care of those little things all humans are required to do in life.

He walked down roads, he went shopping, he did plenty of mundane activities, all the while never noticing that he was being followed.

At the end of the day, Webb sat in a crowded carriage as he went home on the Tube, letting his eyes fall closed.

***

When he woke up, the people had vanished, the passage of time had taken them all away in its flow and left him alone.

Webb stood up and looked around, he spotted something in the next compartment.  It was very dark but he could just about make out a person standing there, perfectly still.

“Hello?” Webb called to the stranger.

The figure groaned in response, causing a now apprehensive Webb to back away.  He didn’t get far before Zedd raised his pistol and shot twice.

Webb ducked down as bullets shattered the glass, letting it rain down upon him.  He then took out his own gun and returned fire blindly.

He cautiously raised his head, but he couldn’t see anyone.

The train stopped and Webb immediately ran to the closest set of opening doors and exited onto the empty platform.

As Webb ran out, Zedd also left through his own set of newly opened doors and fired at the rapidly moving target several times.  The first two simply missed, the third would’ve hit if Webb hadn’t been behind a pillar at the time.

Webb stayed behind his cover and Zedd chose some of his own.  Webb poked his head out and called, “Who are you?”

The answer was a bullet hitting the pillar, causing a spray of debris to force him back behind his cover.

Webb stepped out firing, before bounding up the stairs.  Zedd followed at a steady pace.

Further down the upper corridor, Webb rounded a corner and hid while peering at the stairs he had just climbed.  As soon as Zedd appeared, Webb came out firing.

Zedd raised his pistol but wasn’t quite fast enough and was shot twice by Webb in the chest and shoulder.  Zedd fell over from the force of the rounds, but Webb kept pointing his gun at the prone body, his breathing now laboured from the stress.

Suddenly, Zedd sat up with an unnatural jerky motion before clambering to his feet, making Webb flee in terror.  Zedd followed, walking quickly while seemingly oblivious to his wounds, which left a blood trail as he pursued.

Webb ran through the door to a service entrance ahead and shuffled down the stairs, tripping along the way and falling, but quickly righted himself so he could continue escaping.

***

Webb and Geoghan were having lunch in a quiet café, recounting these events.

“Someone tried to kill you?” Geoghan said incredulously.

“Must’ve been one of Charles’ men.  I don’t know what he’s thinking.  I must’ve got too close to busting him and now he’s coming after me, the idiot.”

“Have you told the Superintendent?”

“I thought about it, but what exactly will she do?  We’ve got shootings on the streets everyday.  She’s got her hands full trying to manage this war between Hesitance and Charles and I’ve got no evidence that he was behind this.”

“So what are you going to do?”

“I’m gonna call up Charles and talk to him again.  Try and stop this.”

“Aren’t you afraid that’ll he’ll just kill you?”

“No.  He always comes alone and if he could’ve killed me himself, he would’ve.”

“Have you ever thought of planting some recording equipment where you meet and get him to just admit it in front of you?”

“He picks the locations of our meets…and never the same place twice.”

“Then how about a recording device on your person?  A simple mobile can be modified.”

“I’m not sure if I’d have the nerve.”

“I could help you.”

“I don’t know.”

“It’s worth a try.”

***

Webb arrived at their new meeting place and looked up at the skyscraper under construction ahead.

He ascended to the open roof via a mesh lift.  Ahead of him, Charles stood, looking out over the city.

“Look at that Sunset,” Charles said as Webb approached.

“It’s very beautiful.”

“They all are.  That’s why I love them.  They’re so much better than sunrises.  The end is infinitely more important than the beginning.”

“It’s a nice place here.”

“I’m building a hotel on this site…or something at least, I forget.”

“I’m sure you’ll make a lot of money from it.”

“Oh there’s no doubt about that.”

“How’s your wife?”

“Oh just fine, thank you for your concern.  You should get a wife yourself, we can have dinner in one of my restaurants.  So did you have something specific you’d like to discuss?”

“Someone’s trying to kill me, know anything about that?”

“Why are you avoiding my gaze Joseph?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Come closer.”

“I’m afraid of heights.”

“So am I.  I think all humans are to some extent.  Now stop being a coward and come here.”

Webb slowly eased himself closer to the ledge, but nowhere near as close as Charles, who was standing right on the precipice without an apparent concern.

“And look me in the eyes,” Charles continued before staring at him intensely.

“Is something the matter, Charles?”

“Oh, I see,” Charles said as he seemed to realise something.  “I’m disappointed in you Joseph.”  Charles began to walk towards the lift.

“Where are you going?” Webb called after him.

Charles then entered the lift and as it began to descend, he called out to Webb, “Call me if you ever want to have a ‘private’ conversation.”



© 2009 Tobi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on July 16, 2009
Last Updated on July 28, 2009


Author

Tobi
Tobi

United Kingdom



Writing
Purple & Pink Purple & Pink

A Poem by Tobi