Chapter four

Chapter four

A Chapter by ~Juliette~

“Crap, crap, crap.” I say to myself. I have slept in and I am struggling to find an outfit to wear. Not to mention a suitable one. I grunt again and look through my pants. Underneath all of my shorts, I find a pair of jeans I haven’t seen for months. They are dark purple with holes in the thighs. I recall that the reason I stopped wearing them was because of how big the holes are. I come up with the idea to wear fish nets. I put them on and slide on my jeans. I then route through my shirts drawer. I find a shirt that has a Batman insignia on it and put it on. I look in the body mirror and see that my hair is a mess. I plug my straightener in go to my desk to do my make up. It takes me about seven minuets to put on my mascara, eye liner, and make my eye shadow smokey, so that it complements my eyes.

I after I’m done, that I over look myself in the mirror. These pants really make my butt look good. I straighten the wavy parts in my hair, and spray my self down in my body spray.

I look myself over once more before grabbing a black plaid sweater, turn on Grub’s light, and rush down stairs.

“What time is it?” I ask Vincent who is sitting at the kitchen island reading a newspaper.

“Hm, 8:30. You have fifteen minuets.” he says, looking at me over his paper.

“Ugh” I say, realizing I rushed myself for no reason.

I hear Vince turn a page when I open the fridge and pour some orange juice into a glass on the counter. I assume Vince put it there because I know I didn’t. I quickly chug the glass and walk over to the the boot rack where I left my bag. I pick it up and walk back over to the fridge. I open it again and dig out an apple from the crisper. I put it in my bag and walk to the door to put on my converse.

“What happened to breakfast?” Vincent asks me, putting down the newspaper and walking over to me.

I shrug while struggling to put my shoes on.

“You know, its the most important meal of the day.” I nod, and he continues, “Wheres your coat?”

I shrug again and stand up, looking for my coat.

It was on the couch in the den, and Vince hands it to me.

“Thanks”I say, and look down on my shoes to check that my shoes are tied and they are.

“What’s the rush?” he interrogates.

I look at him and mimic his facial expression. Then my eyes go wide and I rush to the bathroom on the main floor. I had forgotten to brush my teeth.

I put a glob of Crest on my purple toothbrush and begin the process of brushing my teeth. I can hear Vince’s footsteps coming down the hall.

“Morning sickness?” Vincent asks jokingly, leaning against the frame of the open door.

“Not exactly,”I say, taking the toothbrush out of my mouth.

He laughs and says “I’ll meet you in the car.”

“Uh-huh.” I say with the toothbrush in my mouth.

After I’m done, I pick up my bag that I dropped in the rush, and walk to the door. I open the door and dig out my key to lock it. Once I take a seat in the car, I begin to think that Vince didn’t get enough coffee in his system this morning because on a good day when I get driven to school, we usually talk about our interests. This morning is awkward and small talk is minimal. The few minuets it take to be driven to school seems like a life time, but once I do see the school, I get caught up in nervousness and excitement.


* * *


I didn’t see Gabe in the hallways this morning as I thought I would. I wish he was there to greet me. To say something to me, anything but leaving me wonder if he was even here today.

I trudge into my math class and go to take a seat in the middle of the room, but see that the desks are in pairs rather than by themselves like lonely islands.

“Oh, Aster. Nice to see you this morning!” Mr. Robinson tells me.

I put on a fake smile and say “You too.” There is silence before I ask, “What happened to the desks?”

“Oh! I thought it might be a good idea to place you guys up with a partner” He began but I push him out and appear to be listening.

My focus returns when I hear him say “Just take a seat anywhere you'd like."

I find a spot right next to the only window in the room; farthest to the left and at the back, close to a wall. I put my binder down just as groups of kids pour in. Suddenly, I am very thankful that Vince gave me a ride or I would have been in with that crowd, pushing and shoving to get a good seat in the room.

After the rush of kids, the stragglers decide to join us. All the pairs at he front of the class are open and there is one beside me. Only a few kids look at the empty space then at me before I give them a nasty glare, then they walk away.

The very last person to walk into the room is Gabe. My heart skips a beat and I quickly look away, hoping he didn’t catch me looking at him.

He strides over and puts his hand on the back of empty seat beside me.

“Is this seat taken?” He asks.

I look up and see him smiling. “No, its not.” I say with a small smile.

“Great.” he says, pulling out the chair and taking a seat.

Almost imminently, I can smell him. The smell is indescribable and I can’t help but take in deep breaths of his sent.

“So,” he turns at me and smiles. “How is my favorite flower this fine morning?”

I can feel myself start to blush and reply with a simple “Just fine.” As soon as I say this, I know I should have said ‘Better, now that you’re here.’.

“Well that’s good.” He flashes me a grin and as soon as I go to return it, the girl in front of us, Mary-lynn Smith, is practically begging for his attention.

She is not doubt prettier than I am with her naturally curled blond hair and her perfect complexion. She always has all the guys crawling over her, drooling with their idiotic looks on their faces. I just roll my eyes and ignore it, but this time is different; she deliberately got Gabe’s attention for her own pleasure-to hurt me.

When Gabe and Mary-lynn finish off their conversation, Mary turns to me.

“Awe, did I hurt you, Weed?” she says like a child. She started calling me “Weed” ever since grade 3 when I transferred into her class. Mary has never liked me, but I am okay with it because, well, I hate her.

I look at her and raise one eye brow, “What?”

She smirks and looks at Gabe, who is talking with the guys across the isle. In turn, this makes me look at him while she says, ignoring my question, “I am going to have him, Weed.”

I laugh and give her a skeptical look, “Have fun trying.”

She glares at me as I pat Gabe on the shoulder and retrieve his attention that was originally mine. I give him a flirty glace and she turn away with a humpf.

He looks confused, so I say, “I just needed to check you’re eye color.”

“My eye color?” he laughs. “Why?”

“‘Cause. I only go on dates with guys who have hypnotic eyes.” I state.

He grins and replies, “Hows this for hypnotic?” he goes cross-eyed.

“Very good.” I laugh, “Meets my standards.”

“That doesn’t matter, I’m taking you out anyway.”

I smile and class begins to start.

During the lesson, I occasionally chit-chat with Gabe, just to let him know I am not boring. Despite me being a relatively quiet person, I feel completely comfortable around Gabe, like I am around Vincent.

Nearing the end of class, Gabe turns to me and says, “So, where do you want to go?”

“Hm?” it takes me a second to realize what he is talking about, “Oh, well, you are the one who asked me out, so it is partially you’re duty to have already planned this.”

He looks down and purses his lips together, and for a moment, I have the sudden urge to lean in and kiss him.

He looks at me again and as he does this, the bell rings. When it stops he says, “It’ll be a surprise.” he gets up. “I’ll pick you up at seven.”

“Wait!”I holler, “You don’t have my address!”

He is at the doorway when he says, “That’s why I’m driving you home.”


* * *


Gabe is not in anymore of my classes which slightly depresses me. I didn’t think that he was in any of my classes, but him being in my math class brightened my day. I leave the last class room (which was biology) with a sigh and go find my locker.

Eventually, through the maze of the school, I get to my locker. I swing open the door and place my textbook on the top self. Around me I can hear outrageous laughter of the students and the closing -I should say slamming- of the lockers. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a tall, blond haired beauty walk towards me, and sure enough, its Gabe.

“Well hello again.” Gabe says, and leans against the shut locker beside mine, “Miss me, Babe?”

I smile back at him when I see that he is smiling like a fool. “Yes, very much.”

“Good. I’m glad. Are you done in your locker?” he asks.

I grab my bag, nod, and he shuts it. “Ready to go?”

“Already?” he asks with puppy-dog eyes.

I helplessly giggle, “Yes already. You went to your locker?”

“Yeah. Shall we go?” he asks, holding out and arm, expecting me to link mine with his-and I do.

I smile and we go to make our way to the front doors of the school.

When we leave, the brisk February air hits our faces and I can feel Gabe shudder. Normally, I would go straight down the walk way, then turn right, but today, since Gabe drove, I go left to where the parking lot is.

Gabe leads me to a row of cars and we walk until we stand behind a sleek, black mustang.

I leave Gabe's side and put my hands on the trunk, "Oh my God, Gabe!" I say, shocked.

He is walking to the driver's side of the car with a pleased grin on his face. "Are you just going to stand there, or are you going to get in?"

I stride over to the passenger door and open it. As soon as I sit in the leather seat, I am overcome with the smell of Gabe and the car's new car smell.

“How did you afford this?” I ask, placing my hands on the dash board.

“Inheritance,” he says, then adds, “well, sort of, my aunt recently died and she was wealthy.  I thought I would treat myself to something nice.”

“Oh, I’m sorry for your loss.”I say, dropping my hands down to my sides.

“Eh, we weren’t really close. I thought of it more as loosing a goldfish than a family member.”

“Oh.” I reply, not knowing what to say.

“Yeah. So, anyways, are you buckled?” he says starting the car.

“Yes.” I pause as I do up the seat belt, “Well, it is now.” I assure.

“Good.” he places his hand on the back of my seat to look out the rear window, the same way Vincent does when he goes to when he back out of the drive way. “We wouldn’t want you getting into an accident, now would we?”

I don’t reply because when he says this I think of my parents-and the stupid drunk driver that slammed into them and because of that accident, I will never drink anything alcoholic- instead I turn my gaze to outside the window.

“Aster?” Gabe asks putting a gentle hand on my shoulder.

I wince and glace at him before I look out the windshield.

“Aster, what did I say?” he utters, more quietly but with the sound of more ‘caring’ in his voice.

I don’t respond, but I do look at him.

“I’m sorry.” he states, his voice caring but his face quizzical. “I didn’t mean whatever I said.”

I let out a sigh and mutter, “Its alright Gabe,”

He is doubtful because my hurt expression still lingers on my face.

“Really, it is. Don’t worry, I’m not mad, I just... got caught up in a memory.” I continue.

“Are you sure? I-” I cut him off before he can apologize any more.

“Yes Gabe.” I force I smile.

Without hesitation, he returns one.


* * *

The drive home was uneventful, then again, aren’t all car rides? Gabe and I made some small talk on the way and when we arrived at my house he told me to stay inside the car as he got out and opened the door for me. I genuinely smiled at him and went to the steps of the house.

“Good-bye Gabe.” I said unlocking the door.

“Oh, Aster.” he had said as he ran up to me, “I am going to come pick you up at seven.” he pauses, walked up the steps and put his face kissing-distance away from mine. He gently grabbed the sides of my face-one on each side- and said quietly with a gentle smile, “And loose the heavy make up.” I was staring intently into his smoke-grey eyes when he kissed my forehead and I felt the blood rush to my cheeks.

Now, I watch Gabe’s car leave the street and I enter the house. Immediately, I hear two male voices from the den, laughing. I look left and see Vincent sitting casually on the couch closest to the large front window.

Vince notices me as I shut the door, “Welcome home Aster.” he says, recovering from laughing.

“Hello Vince.” I say and take off my converse.

I hear the other man’s voice but only in a whisper and Vincent chuckles.

I walk to the entry way and look the the right where the longer couch is located. I see a familiar man with a round face, but his name eludes me.

He looks at me, tossing his shaggy brown hair out of his eyes as Vince says, “Aster, you remember Andy, right?”

I remember Andy being over before but only occasionally. I nod after studying his face and repeating his name in my mind.

“Nice to see you again Aster.” Andy states in his deep voice.

“You too.” I say and make a quick nod to Andy before I turn to Vincent. “He is coming to pick me up at seven.”

“Who?” the two adults say in unison.

I look at Andy quickly because he shouldn’t be asking questions like this to me, especially because I hardly know him. I look at Vince who has his brow furrowed. “Gabe.” I retort.

At the same time, Vince says, “Oh yeah,” as Andy says, “Oo.”

I continue to look at Vince, waiting to hear him continue, but he is staring at Andy-intently. I then look at Andy and he glaces at me and flashes me a grim smirk. I grimace and Vincent dismisses me.

I go up the stairs with my bag and think As if I need to be dismissed. I reach my door and open it. The usual sound of sputtering of the filter from Grub’s tank and the smell of lavender welcomes me. I put my bag down by the door and walk over to my bed. I let out a huge sigh as I lay down on the center of the mattress and hear the springs squeak. I close my eyes and outstretch my arms.

I lay like the for a few minutes before I roll over onto my side and look at my clock. It reads 4:03pm. A little less than three hours to go before I get to see Gabe again. I sit up and wonder what I can do in the mean time. I remember that the social teacher had assigned a few pages in the textbook for homework but I don’t even have a social textbook, and even if I did, I wouldn’t have brought it home with me. I get up and feed Grub. He quickly eats the blood worms I feed him on special occasions. I sit at my desk for minutes watching Grub swim aimlessly around his tank without worry.

I get up and walk to my dresser and find a pair of glossy black leggings to wear tonight. The fabric feels silky under my fingers though it appears leathery. I place them on my bed and walk over to the closet where I hang the few dresses that I have- and my delicates. I push through the clothes and discover and long, soft black shirt with no sleeves and a short leather jacket. I place both articles on my bed before I hear a knock on my door.

I trudge over and open it. Andy is outside of my door with that same smirk.

“Hey Babe.” he says in a flirtatious voice which annoys me.

“Don’t call me that.” I growl.

He walks inside my room, forcing me to step back. “I like a fierce girl.” He brushes the back of his hand against my cheek and I smack his arm down. The fragrance of some type alcohol lingers on his breath. Since Vincent doesn’t own any and I am underage, Andy must have brought his own.

“Don’t touch me. Get out of my room.” I say raising my voice.

He puts on a hurt look and replies, “Ouch.”

I don’t say anything to him, I just continue to glare.

“C’mere Baby. I’ll take you to second base.” he snickers.

He goes to wrap his arms around my shoulder to keep me from moving, but I evade him by ducking under his arms in a wide crescent.

Andy grunts in frustration and I run out my room screaming Vincent’s name.

On my down the stairs, Vincent runs out of the kitchen with a worried expression on his face. I run to him and stand behind him. We both watch Andy tumble down the last three stairs on his butt, which he lands on.

Andy, muttering obscenities, gets up and looks at me and then Vincent, his eyes full of rage.

“What happened, Aster?” Vincent asks me still facing Andy.

All the words that I want to say want to come out at once, and when I fist try to speak, they come out slurred and jumbled. I take a breath and finally get out, “He was coming onto me.”

At first Andy looks angry and full of force, but when Vince strides over to him, his eyes become pleading and remorseful. Vince’s eyes, on the other hand, show betrayal.

Vince pushes Andy down and pulls back a tight fist with his right hand and has a grip on the collar of Andy’s shirt with his left.

“She’s my sister, you disgusting pig!” Vince yells in a tone I’ve never heard before.

“Yo, Vince! Control your self!” Andy whimpers.

“Why didn’t you?!” Vincent yells in the same tone.

“I’m sor-” Vincent’s fist connects with Andy’s jaw.

Andy lets out a sob, and despite Andy’s though-guy appearance, he is crying. I feel warmness of my cheek and I realize that I am too. I brush the tears away with the side of my hand as Vince’s fist comes down on Andy’s cheek.

I wince when Andy cries out again.

After an exchange of words, Andy gets to his feet and while threatening us that we would regret this, with blood trickling from his lip, he left.

I explain to Vincent what happened, he promises me that Andy won't do anything like that to me again...at least not without facing some type of consequence, which is reassuring.

I thank Vince before I head to my room.

The sweet smell of the lavender still fills my nostrils, but only vaguely; the smell of  whatever Andy was drinking seems to have taken over. I walk over to the window closest to me- located by the full length mirror- open it, then crawl onto my bed at open the window above it. Almost immediately, I shiver and go to the bathroom for a warm shower.

I quickly find a suitable temperature and get in. My mind begins to wonder on Andy and what he could have done to me if Vince wasn’t there. This thought makes me worried. What if Andy comes back and decides to do something worse to me besides “get to second base?" I let out a sigh and gently massage my now shampoo-covered scalp as if it would help release all my thoughts.

When I get out of shower, I wrap a towel around myself and secure it. I walk toward the mirror and wiped away the condensation on it, causing beads of warm water to run down to the bottom of the mirror. I pause when I notice how bloodshot my eyes are. I blink a few times, as if to get rid of the redness, with no such luck.

I let out a breath before I leave the bathroom and I am welcomed by a rush of cold air.

I shiver and go to my room, which is even colder than the hallway. I walk over to the closest window and shut it. I go to close the drapes and notice that it is twilight. I feel happier, despite the day’s events. Then I come to realization that I have a date with Gabe tonight.

I start to panic and almost drop the towel covering me up. I can feel my heart beat begin to race as I rush over to the other window and close it-both the window itself and the drapes. I go to my bed where the outfit is. As I do this, I think of Andy. I feel myself begin to get scared. If I do go out with Gabe, will Andy somehow find me and continue from where he left off? The images and other thoughts about what he could do start flood my brain.

I slink away from the outfit and go to my dresser to pick out a pair of pajamas. I put them on and brush my wet hair behind my ears, pierced twice in the lobe and one in the cartilage in the left ear. I stare at my reflection in the smaller mirror I have sitting on my dresser and sigh when the redness in my eyes show no difference. I put the brush back on the table where I keep all of my hair products and make-up.

I walk over to the phone on my desk beside Grub’s tank and pick up the piece of paper that has Gabe’s number.

I dial it and a voice says, “Hello?”

“Gabe?” I say, unsure if this is his house phone or a cell.

“Yeah. Who’s this?” His voice sounds deeper on the phone.

“Aster.”

“Oh! Hey! How have you been?” his voice is instantly giddier. “Are we still on for tonight?”

“Well, that is what I wanted to talk to you about,” I pause for a second, then continue, “Um, something happened, and I don’t feel comfortable going anywhere tonight.”

“Oh.”he responds with a hurt tone.

“But, I would like you to come over. I want you to meet Vincent.”

“I would love to and I’ll be over in a few minutes. Who’s Vincent?”

“He is my brother.”

“Oh, okay, I thought-well it doesn’t matter what I thought. I’ll be over soon.”

“Can’t wait.”and I hang up.



© 2011 ~Juliette~


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on June 14, 2011
Last Updated on June 14, 2011


Author

~Juliette~
~Juliette~

Edmonton, Canada



About
Hi! Welcome to my profile. A bit about myself; My name is Juliette and I'm sixteen. I love reading in my spare time as well as writing and drawing. I'm an overall creative person. I cherish my friend.. more..

Writing