Chapter seven

Chapter seven

A Chapter by ~Juliette~

“I was six when they died. Vincent was in high school so he had to drop out to take care of me. I was close with my parents, so when they died, I felt empty and alone. I ignored everyone in school and all of my family members who tried to help me get through it.”

I look to the window beside his computer and gaze onto the white blanket.

“Everyone but Vince- I was close with him like I was with my parents. I couldn’t ignore him. I didn’t and don’t have any friends at school, and that is perfectly fine with me. I can’t get close to someone because I have too much fear over loosing someone again. I can’t loose Vince. I’d be without a home and I wouldn’t have anyone to share my feelings with.”

“I’m your friend, aren’t I, Aster?” Gabe asks cautiously.

“Yes,’ I offer a gently smile, which he returns, “You are more then a friend.”

He beams and grabs my hand, “How did they die?” his face turning serious.

“Well, they were in Wyoming. They were both well-known and good lawyers. Mom booked a court date on October 17th and Dad had one on the 20th. They decided they’d stay down there until they cases were closed. They did, without harm, it was on their drive home when they,” I choke on the last word and clear my throat, “died.”

Gabe nods sympathetically and looks at our hands.

“They were driving home on the 25th and a semi t-boned them and sent them flying into other cars. No one else died, and the driver of the semi was drunk. Vince and I allow no alcohol in the house.”

I expect him to give his condolences but instead he says, “but Andy was drunk.”

I don't t remember telling Gabe about the alcohol on Andy’s breath, but I might have.

“Yes.” my voice quivering, I didn’t see or feel Salem leave, but she must have because I bring my knees up to my chest and I don't squish a cat.

He lets go out my hand and shuffles over to me. He embraces me with who strong arms wrapped around my body. I put my head against his chest and he puts his head on mine.

I let out a sob.

“Shh, shh.” he rubs my back. “It’s okay.”

“Is it, Gabe?” I bring my head up, and raise my voice a little. It is hard because my voice is raspy from being on the verge of bawling, “Both my parents are dead and a drunk threatened Vincent!” I push away from him, but he holds onto me. I don’t fight him again- I am suddenly drained of energy. I lower my head.

“Aster,” he says, soothing me, “It will be okay. I am going to be here for you. No one is going to hurt Vincent. No one is going to hurt you. Not while I’m around, and I don't plan on leaving.”

He says all the right things. I look at his glassy grey eyes which are full of understanding and truth.

“I know we just met, but I feel so connected to you.” he states, his voice is delicate, like china or porcelain.

“Gabe, I feel the same way.” I bring a hand up and drape it around his neck.

“You look so innocent and broken when you cry. I want to be there to protect you from everything that wants to hurt you. I want to make you feel, not so broken.”

“Oh, Gabe.” I croak softly.

“There is a world of hurt out there, Aster. Some people don't witness the pain and the cruelty of real life, and some people are the ones that inflict the pain and cruelty. I want-” he changes his mind, “I am going to be there for you to keep you from that pain.”

I kiss him. He must have been caught off guard because he falls backwards onto the bed. I am on top of him, he has one hand around my lower back, I have one hand behind his neck, and our other hands are searching for each other.

I pull away. We roll onto our sides and as Gabe props his head up on an elbow, I put my head on one of his pillows.

He smiles at me; his charming, perfect smile.

I sigh, “I feel so comfortable around you. I'm usually quiet and content and I ignore everyone, but  there is something...” I pause, searching for a word, “wonderfully mysterious about you. I can’t help myself.”

“I kind of have that affect on people,” his smile widens and he reaches for my hand, which I give to him.

I move closer to him and he rolls over onto his back so I can use his chest as a pillow. He lets go of my hand and puts a protective arm around me.

“Hey, Gabriel,” says a voice in a questioning tone as his bedroom door opens.

It is Calista. She isn’t wearing the rose colored cardigan as she was downstairs, instead she is wearing a long white top with sleeves to big for her.

Her eyes are on Salem as she darted out of the room, but she looks up at sees me. She grabs the end of her sleeves, hiding her hands.

“Um,” she glaces around the room, trying hard to find something else to focus on instead of the stranger in her house.

“Cally, what is it?” Gabe asks sternly.

“Uh, Mom wants to know if she is staying for dinner.”

I am slightly insulted in how Calista referred to me as ‘she’, though she might have forgotten my name.

“Aster?”

“Yeah, sure. I’d love too.” I respond, looking up at Gabe.

“When are we eating?” Gabe asks his sister.

“Not until later. It is only three right now.” she tells Gabe, staying in the door way.

“Oh, okay. Thank you, Cally.” he bids her good-bye with a jerky movement with his head-I think it is a nod.

The door closes gently and I let out a breath.

“I don’t think she likes me.” I state putting my hands on his now cool skin.

“Hm. I thought things would be different. She is really shy, though.” he tightens his arm around me.

“How old is she?”

“Fourteen.”

“I see.” I wait a while before I ask another question,“Do you have a phone I could use?”

He goes to get up and I move so he can, “Yeah,” he gets off the bed an I swing my legs over the edge.

He walks to his computer desk and picks up a cordless phone off of its charger.

“Thank you.” I dial my home number, “I just have to tell Vincent what going on.”

He nods as Vince says, “Hello?”

“Hey Vince.” I respond.

“Oh, Aster, hey.”

“Is it alright if I stay at Gabe’s for dinner?”

“Sure thing.” I can hear a smile in his voice just as I’m sure he hears one in my voice.

“Thanks, Vince. I’ll call you later.”

“No problem, Aster.”

He hangs up first.

“Thank you, Gabe.”

He smiles at me and takes the phone out of my hand. He puts it back on the charger and the sunlight that comes from the window catches something on Gabe’s neck that sparkles.

He walks towards the bed and sits beside me.

I grab the silver chain that flickered sunlight at me, “How long have you been wearing this?” I didn’t notice it before.

“A very long time.” he says.

“I think my Mom used to have a necklace like that, but it was gold.” I say before I realize the dumbness in words. Most chains look the same.

Gabe notices, and says, “Aster, I think-”

I put a hand up to stop him and bow my head, “I know.”

He laughed gently, “So, what did you want to do now?” he asks, as if he was getting bored. I was getting there myself and I wasn’t going to be the one to say so.

“Whatever you want.” I respond.

“We can watch a movie, if you want.”

“Sure.” anything but this awkwardness.

He lead us out of his room and down the stairs to a family room where a huge flat screen was pushed up against a wall.

Calista is sitting stretched out on an over stuffed, black leather chair, her legs causally handing over one of  the arms, her head resting on the other.

Gabe clears his throat and she quickly flings her body into the sitting position in the chair. She pulls the sleeves over her hands again. A habit I suppose?

I grab Gabe’s hand and he gives a reassuring squeeze, “What are you watching, Cally?” he leads me to the matching love seat, in front of the T.V.

She exhales and says, “The Notebook.

“I love that movie!” I say. Calista gives me a look as if she is studying me. I look away from her and look at Gabe who is looking at Calista.

“Did it just start?” Gabe asks as we sit down.

“Yes.” she affirms.

He takes a strong arms, drapes it over my shoulders, and pulls me close to him. Calista stares at me.

I stare too, but she turns her attention back to the movie.

I wonder if she always acts this way around people, or if its just around people she doesn’t know. I’m not intimidating, so she can’t be afraid of me. She is probably just nervous, but I can’t help but thing that she doesn’t like me very much.


* * *

The movie ended at about the same time as Angie stated it was dinner time. I am sitting at the beautifully crafted oak table next to Gabe.

Across from us, Angie and Calista sit next to each other and there is another plate placed beside Angie, where I assume, Adrian is going to sit.

He appears in the doorway holding a plate of stakes.

“Aster, I hope you aren't a vegetarian!” he says cheerily, walking towards the table.

Gabe answers for me, “No, Dad, she isn’t.”

“Well, that’s good!” his eyes are sparkling ocean blue when he puts a steak on my plate.

“Looks great.” I say, “My brother is a fantastic cook.” I look at Adrian then at Angie, who is smiling.

“Is he in the culinary business?” Angie asks, then thanks her husband for the stake he placed on her plate.

“He applied for a job at a few restaurants, but they all denied him. One of the restaurants told Vincent that his skills would be better applied at some fast food joint.” I can feel Calista’s eyes on me.

“That’s too bad.” Angie says with a frown.

“Yes, it is.”

I take the bowl of ceaser salad that Gabe hands to me and dish some onto my plate.

“Shoot.” Angie says, flatly, “I forgot the drinks. I’ll be right back. Don't wait for me, everybody!” she leaves the kitchen with a smile.

“She is so friendly.” I tell Gabe, quietly.

“That’s my Mom for you.” he muses.

She returns with a wine glass in each hand and places it in front of Adrian’s plate, as well as hers.

“I like your family.” I exclaim to Gabe.

“They like you, too.” he looks at me and smiles.

“Except Calista.” I whisper.

He laughs, but his father and sister don’t notice because they are too engaged in a conversation themselves, “She likes you, she just doesn’t show it.”

I open my mouth to protest, but Gabe interrupts, “Trust me, honey. I’ve known her all of her life.”

I gave him a worrying look and he charmingly covers my hand with one of his.

Sometime during our conversation, Angie had came in and delivered the rest of the glasses and filled will what I assume is cranberry juice.

She sits down with a huff, “Well, dig in!”

I cut into my steak at find that it is rare. I turn to Gabe and see that his is rare too, but he doesn't seem to have problem with it. Maybe he's used to that type of stake, but I hate them.

I don't say anything because I don't want to offend Adrian, so I eat the salad instead.

"Is something the matter, Aster?" Angie asks me with a frown.

I look up, startled, "Hm? No, nothing is.”

“You haven’t touched your steak.”

Gabe looks at me, chewing.

I don't know what to say that wont come out insulting, so I don't say anything, just put on a innocent-looking expression.

“Aster, if you don't want to eat your steak, you don't have to,” Adrian tells me, picking up his glass, “I didn’t ask you how well you wanted your steak done. It is my fault she isn’t eating, Ange.”

Calista glared at me then looked back at her plate.

“It looks delicious,” I state, “but it is very...rare.”

“You don't eat rare steak, do you?” Gabe says, putting an arm around my shoulders in a tight squeeze.

“Of course, she doesn’t.” mumbles Calista, almost silently.

“Pardon?” Adrian says, turning his face to Calista, along with the rest of the table.

“Hm?” she looks up through thick bangs.

“Be polite, Cally. That is not how we treat our guests.” Angie says, “Finish up your dinner.”

Calista grunts and stuffs a fork-full of salad into her mouth.

“I’m sorry about that.” Adrian smiles, apologetically.

“No, no. Don't be.” I say, offering a small smile.

He nods and takes another bite of his steak.

I notice that all of Gabe’s family are wearing chains. Angie’s chain is silver, like Gabe’s, and Adrian’s and Calista’s are gold. Besides the color difference, the couple’s necklaces have matching charms. It is a charm I have never seen before; it appears to be a three, but comes to a tapered point at the end, like a handwritten ‘Z’. There is an angelic, swirling, line that crosses the bottom part of the three, making it look like an ‘X’ as well.

Calista has a small charm on hers, too, though not as intriguing as the charm her parents have. She has a simple gold circle, with spikes meeting up in the center.

I look away from her before she can glare at me again.

“When do you have to be home, Aster?” Adrian asks me, finishing off his glass of what could be wine or cranberry juice.

“I don't know, I’ll have to call Vince again, and ask him.” I respond.

“I don't mean to sound rude, but if you want, we can drop you off at your house, in about an hour.” he says.

“I’ll take her home.” Gabe volunteers quickly.

I smile a little and take a small sip of my juice.

“Then it is settled. Go spend you final hour somewhere other than this room. Calista and I will clean up.” Angie says as Calista groans.

“Come, Aster.” I didn't see Gabe get out of his chair, but he has his hand on the back of mine, pulling me gently away from the table.

I get up and stand beside Gabe, who reached for my hand, “It was a lovely dinner. Thank you very much.”

Angie smiles as Adrian politely nods his head. Calista stares at her plate.

Gabe pulls me away from his family and we go to his room. I sit on his bed again and he stands, facing the now dark window.

“What’s the matter, Gabe?” I ask, laying on my stomach, stretched across his bed looking at him.

“Nothing.” he says sullenly.

“Don’t lie to me.” I say quietly.

He turns to look at me, “Nothing is wrong.” Why do his eyes look silver again?

“Okay.” I say, and bury my face in his comforter.

I hear him walk over to me and his bed groans under his weight when he sits on it.

“I’m fine.” he starts massaging my shoulders and my breathing picks up again.

“You’re good at that.” I tell Gabe, my voice muffled.

“You just tell me what you want me to do, and I’ll do it.”

I smile, “Such a gentleman.”

“That’s me.” he leans forward and I can feel his hot, moist, breath on my neck.

I roll over so I am on my back, facing him.

He smiles , and he nips and kisses my neck. I lift up his shirt and my hands glide effortlessly over his smooth skin of his back.

I close my eyes and let the feeling of simple bliss wash over me.

He kisses my jawline, then my collarbone.

“Gabe.” I gasp, he nipped at the collar of my shirt.

“Yes?” he pulls at my necklace with his teeth.

“Don’t leave me out of the out of the fun.” I say over the pounding of my heart in my ears.

“Almost done.” his hands run through my hair.

“Gabe,” I state, “if you continue, I am going to have to...” I can’t of anything to say.


“Fine.” he get off of me, “But you owe me.”

I haven’t caught my breath yet, but I manage to get out, “Do you have music, or something else we can use to block out everything?”

“Yeah.” he leans over to the nightstand turns on a small iPod docking station.

I am not sure if his iPod is on shuffle or if he chose the song, but the first lyrics of the song are: The way you move it, if you don't quit it, I’m gonna lose my shh. How appropriate.

I sit up and raise an eyebrow at him when he turns around, grinning wickedly.

I toss my hair so that it is over one shoulder when Gabe reaches out in front of him to grab my neck, bringing me closer to him.

How I love kissing him.

Somehow, I end up on my back, and Gabe is leaning over me, one of his hands on my my waist and the other supporting him. There are pillows supporting my back and head, so it isn’t uncomfortable.

We kiss hungrily. Savoring each as if it would be the last, and I can’t seem to get enough.

“Aster?” he pauses and looks at me with concern, “What’s wrong?”

I’ll be damned if I know how he read my mind, “Don’t leave me.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it. You are special to me.” he croons, warmly.

Why am I so emotional around him? God help me.

“I wont leave you.”

“Do you promise?” my voice quivers.

“Aster, as long as I am living on this Earth, I will not leave you. I swear.”

I sigh, and smile weakly.

He lays down and I put my head on his chest. I rub my hand over his abs and he strokes my back, and we lay like that until I have to leave.



© 2011 ~Juliette~


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on June 14, 2011
Last Updated on June 14, 2011


Author

~Juliette~
~Juliette~

Edmonton, Canada



About
Hi! Welcome to my profile. A bit about myself; My name is Juliette and I'm sixteen. I love reading in my spare time as well as writing and drawing. I'm an overall creative person. I cherish my friend.. more..

Writing