Chapter six

Chapter six

A Chapter by ~Juliette~

Around us is dark and fuzzy, almost faded. Andy falls down the stairs and Vincent and I watch him rise to his feet. I take a step back and Vince does the same. Andy’s face becomes the face of a dog, but still with human qualities. Maybe it isn’t the face of a dog, but more like the face of a demon. Yes, a demon with large black fans protruding from the sides of his face were his ears should be. A pair of ivory horns bulge out form just off center from the top of his head which has become elongated and the only human characteristic left on Andy’s face are his now coal black eyes, but even they have become inhuman. I can feel myself start to cry and when I try to scream, the only noise that leaves my throat is a hoarse wheezing sound. The tears burn my eyes as Andy’s nose become long a pointed and his jaw drops, exposing two rows of tainted-yellow fangs and a dark purple snake-like tongue flicks out his mouth as he lets out a scream.

This scream is not human. This is a scream of rage and hatred, the scream of a banshee. I was too busy looking at Andy’s new face to realize that his pale white skin color has turned a very dark grey color and is covered in bumps the size of tennis balls. His clothes are tattered and are ripped in some spots -like the arms of his t-shirt- to make space for his new extended limbs. His arms touch the floor and he hunches his back and bends his extra-long legs. Another screech escapes his throat. He starts to pant like a dog and his tongue drapes over some of his fangs. Andy’s tongue is drenched in his saliva and as it drips onto the floor- it burns like acid through the floorboards.

Vincent grabs a hold of my wrist which startles me because I forgot he was even there. Out of nowhere, this monster, that used to be Andy, lets out a ear-piercing shriek and turns around.

I hear the sound of the floor being scratched but the creature has disappeared from my sight. The scratching sounds stop and a few seconds later I see that the hellion is perched up in the far corner of the room we are in, where the ceiling and the wall meet up. Vincent and I watch in horror as the beast crawls up onto the ceiling. It began as a stealthy sneak as it walks upon the beams in the ceiling. Then, it gradually picks up speed and hurls itself at Vincent.

Finally, I can scream.

I sit straight up in my bed, struggling to catch my breath. The sheets are stuck to my legs and my hair is drenched with my sweat. I kick the damp blankets off of me and swing my legs over the edge of my bed. I sit like this for a few minutes, rethinking the terrifying dream I had. I get up and instantly my left leg gives out. I fall back on my bed with a quiet ouch. I flex my leg and bend it at the knee to get the muscles working again. I turn to my nightstand and look at the clock. 3:48am. There is still time to sleep and I am afraid that the dream will invade my mind. There is a glass of water next to the clock and I take a sip of the lukewarm liquid. I swish it around in my mouth to help cease the dryness. I put the glass down and get up. My leg works again and I saunter over to the bathroom.

I look at my reflection. I look old- my hair appears greasy, even though it’s only damp with sweat, and the bangs under my eyes aren't exactly appealing. I sigh and run the cold water. I cup my hands and fill them with the water. I splash the cool water onto my face. I lick my lips and see that they were purple. This has never happened before. I purse my lips together and they feel cold. I bring my hand up and feel them. Still cold. I lick my lips again and trot back to my room, thinking that the color of my lips will turn normal in the morning

I shut the door gently and tuck myself into my bed before I drift off.



Not much later, my eyes flicker open. My covers are on the floor and I am only covered with a sheet. I groan and shiver. Can’t a girl get a good night’s sleep now an’ days? Reluctantly, I sit up, bending my legs awkwardly. I groan once more and adjust my legs. I pull the blankets back onto the bed and notice that Grub’s light is till on. I shuffle across the cool floor and turn off the light. I mosey back to my bed and behind me I hear the floorboards creak.

Automatically, I turn around and see that nothing is there. I figure that all houses make odd noises and lay on my bed, fixing the covers as I do. I sigh and roll onto my side, so that I am facing Grub. I pull the blankets up to my ears and just as I my eyelids become heavy. I blink one last time before closing them for (hopefully) the last time during the night. As I do this, I see a black figure sitting in my suede chair. This doesn’t frighten me as much as it should because I am about to fall asleep and can’t comprehend things properly.

“Good night, Gabriel,” I whisper, unaware of what I said.

“Good night, Aster” he responds in a soft voice.

And I smile.


* * *

On my way downstairs, I rub my eyes and the floorboards squeak beneath me.

“Someone's up early,” Vincent states in his savvy voice.

I grunt and turn into the kitchen were Vince is, “What time is it?” I ask groggily.

“Only ten,” he is reading the paper, “I was being sarcastic.”

“Ha-ha.” I say, “Where is the fancy breakfast that you promised me last night?”

He looks confused, “I did?”

“Yeah.” I sit next to him at the island.

“Oh, um...”

“I’m kidding. Now go make me cereal.”

He gives me a skeptical look.

“Again, kidding.” I say getting up to go get a bowl.

“Ha-ha.” he says, imitating me.

I smile even though I know he can’t see it with my back turned to him.

I grab a bowl and put it the counter. I go to the cupboard that holds the cereal and aimlessly grab a box.

“Have a good sleep?” Vincent asks, his face buried in the paper.

“Not really.” I place the Frootloops box on the counter next to my bowl and pour the cereal.

“Oh? Why?” he turns a page.

“Well, I had a dream and I woke up, the first time...” I walk over to the fridge and get the milk.

“You woke up more than once?”

I pour the liquid into my bowl of colored rings, “Yeah, sucks.”

“Why the second time?”

Carrying the cool bowl in one hand, I walk over to were we keep the utensils and pull of a spoon, “The blankets fell off my bed.” I shut the drawer close with my hip.

“Oh. I hate when that happens.” another page turns.

“Yeah.” I sit next to Vince one again.

“Coffee?” he puts the paper down revealing two mugs.

“Yes please.” I grab the fuller one and take large mouthfuls before placing it back on the granite counter top.

“So what happened in this dream of yours?”

I swallow a mouthful of cereal, “You got attacked by a monster.”

“Oh dear.” a page turns again.

“Mhm.” I say with a mouthful of cereal.

We sit in almost silence except for the crinkle of the newspaper and the crunching of my cereal.

“Remind me to call Gabe today.” I say finishing off my cereal.

“Call Gabe today.”

“Okay, thank you for reminding me, Vince.”I say walking over to the sink with my bowl.

“No problem. Did you know that they found another case of an animal attack down by Rocky point?”

Rocky point is a place on Flathead Lake, close to Polson. There has been a lot of attacks there and the wildlife officials can to nothing about it except put more signs up that say  “Do not feed the wildlife” and “Please stay in you vehicle” around highway 93 and Rocking Point road in Jette, also were attacks have occurred. Most out-of-towners are surprised that Polson hasn’t been a victim, but the locals don’t think we will.

“Nope.” I say.

“Damn bears.” he mumbles as I go up stairs to clothe myself.

When I get into my room, I go directly to my desk were Gabe’s number is exactly were I left it. I pick up the phone from its charger and dial the number on the paper.

It rings twice before he picks up, “Hello?”

“Hi Gabe.” I greet.

“Oh, hi Aster.” there is a commotion on his line.

I wait for it to settle down before I speak, “Can we meet up today sometime?”

“Yeah. I’d like that.” people are speaking in the background.

“When?”

“Well, I'm kind of on shift right now at Pablo’s, but I get off in an hour.” he chuckles, “I’m not even supposed to be talking to anybody right now.”

“Well, don’t I feel special?” I tease then add, “I will get dressed then come by.”

“Sounds good. Can’t wait.” he says in a flirty tone.

“Me neither, Gabe.” I say, in the same manner.

“I’ll see you soon.”

“Yes, soon.” and I smile while ending the call.

I go to my dresser to look for a pair of jeans. I then remember that all of my good jeans are dirty. I stride over to were I keep my dirt clothes and scrounge up my favorite pair; my acid wash skinnies.

I pick up my jeans and throw them onto my bed and shuffle over to my dresser again and find a purple and white top with graphic designs to wear. I slip into my outfit and traipse to my full-body mirror.

I shudder when I see how tangled and knotty my hair is. I plug my straightener in and grab my brush. I pull it through my hair and it becomes tamer although it is frizzy in some spots. I route though my hair supplies until I find a heat protection spray. I generously spray it on my head and grab my straightener.

When I my hair looks suitable, I shamble to the bathroom and brush my teeth. With my toothbrush in my mouth, I go back to my bedroom to put on my mascara and add some sparkles to my livid face.

I go back downstairs when my teeth are clean.

“Vince?” I ask peering into the kitchen and discovering he isn’t there.

“In here.” he says, his voice coming from the living room, were he is sitting in front of the T.V, which is muted.

“I am going to Pablo’s. Do you want anything?” I ask, looking for my coat.

“You just ate, though.” he turns his head in my direction, “Its over there, Aster.” he points to the end of the other couch where my coat is.

“Oh, thanks.” My coat always ends up in a differently place everyday, it seems.

“It snowed. You would wear boots.” he sates matter-of-factly.

“Alright, I’ll wear boots.” I say putting my leather boots on, “Do you want anything?” I repeat.

“If they don't have freshly made sopapilla cheesecake, I don't want anything, thanks.”

“Okay, I will see you later. Gabe gets his break,” I pause, confusing myself, “or is done for today soon, so I will probably hang out with him.”

“Alright.”

“Is something wrong?” I ask him. He seems glum or upset.

He stands up and walks over to me. With a sigh he says, “Nothing, its just that,” he pauses and wraps is arms around me, “ it seems like it was just yesterday when you asking me to grab the cups from the cabinet.” he begins to start a ridiculous fake cry, “And now,” a sob, “you’re dating a guy.” another sob.

“Aw, Vincent.” I pat him on the back, “I will tell him you approve,” and I leave.


* * *

When I get inside the diner, I go to the booth where I was two days ago and take a seat. A slender waitress with long elegant arms and legs waltzes over to my table.

She plasters on a smile on her elf-like face and hands me a menu.

“Would you like anything to drink to start off with?” she asks, pulling out a small notepad and a pen.

Being here so many times, I’ve memorized the shake list, “Can I have a mango shake?”

“Sure thing!” she says with a false cheerfulness and jots it down on her pad.

She turns and walks away, her red bob-cut bouncing with every step she takes.

Where is Gabe? I think and I glace around me. I sat exactly in this spot last time I was here and Gabe came and took my order, but where is he now? I sigh and slouch down in the padded bench.

Today, Pablo’s is awfully crowded, I hadn’t noticed it when I came in. General chatter from people all over the restaurant fills my ears. I look around again and see that there is a group of guys a few tables away from me. Normally, I wouldn’t have acknowledged them, but two of the six guys crowded around the table were looking at me with sly eyes.

My eyes go wide and I think Oh God, I don't need this again. I’ve had enough attention with males. I roll my eyes and look for Gabe again.

As I had suspected, the duo walk over to me. I look up at them when they approach.

“Hey, pretty lady.” says one with brown hair and dark brown eyes.

Gabe, where are you?

“Yo,” says the other with shimmering blue eyes and snaps his fingers close to me face.

I glare at them, “Can I help you with something?”

“Oho, you have some attitude, now don’t you?” retorts the brown haired one and the other laughs.

“Actually, yes, you can help me. See our friends over there?” the one with blue eyes points to their table, “Well, we have a friend who can’t seem to find him a nice, lil’, lady friend.”

The brown haired one chimes in, “Like you.”

“What makes you think I’m nice?” I growl.

They both tilt their heads back and roar in laughter.

They continue to laugh until pale hands grab one shoulder of each male, firmly.

Their taunting expressions leave their face and their eyes go wide. I smirk and I assume its Gabe.

“Is there a problem here?” Gabe says appears between the two.

I never realized how short these two were; they have to look up to meet Gabe’s eyes. “No,” they both reply.

They look like children who just got into trouble for throwing rocks at squirrels.

“Then I suggest you leave her alone.” Gabe states and glares at them with silvery-grey eyes.

They don't say anything intelligent but the blue-eyed one mumbles words.

Gabe turns them in the direction of their table and lets go of their shoulders, “Get out of here.”

They obediently walk away.

Gabe looks at me and flashes me an apologetic smile, “Sorry about them.” he sits next to me on the bench.

I shuffle down towards the window and intertwine the fingers on his right hand with my left. “It wasn’t your fault.” I give him a gentle smile.

“I know, but some guys are just...” he scoffs and tilts his head to the table were those guys are.

“But you’re not like that,” I look into his eyes and cover my right hand over our joined hands.

I can’t read his expression.

“Are you, Gabe?” I question.

“You don’t think so and neither do I.” he doesn’t meet my gaze, he looks ashamed as he stares at the table, though I can’t imagine why.

“Gabe, look at me.” he does. “I know you’re not like them or Andy.”

“Aster, we hardly know each other.”

“I know, but I haven’t felt like this about someone in a long time. I haven’t been friends with anyone since grade five.”

He interrupts me before I can finish, “Why grade five? What happened?”

“My parents died when I was ten...in a car crash.” I avert my eyes to our hands on the table.

“Oh, Aster. I'm so sorry. That's why you acted hurt in the car yesterday.”

“You’re the first person I’ve told.”

“Oh. Do you want to go somewhere quieter to talk? My car is parked out back.” I lets go of my hand and puts it around my shoulders.

I wedge myself closer to him and I observe a shake cup on the table. I didn’t see the red-headed elf girl come by-I must have been too interested in Gabe and our conversation to notice her. I reach for the cup and take a long sip from the straw.

“Where can we go?” I ask.

“We can go to my house.” he grins, “I think you’ll like my sister.”

I am about to tell Gabe that I didn’t know he had a sister, but there is a lot I don't know about him.

“Then lets go to your house.” I smile and we leave as soon as I pay for the shake.


We exit Gabe’s car and as Gabe leans against the driver’s door, I walk around the car to stand by him.

He sighs, even though a proud smile is planted on his face.

“Nice place.” I say and look up at the elegant two-story Victorian-style house which stands on its foundation.

The house has six wide steps that lead up to a long porch that wraps around the right side of the house with an awning fallowing it. Across from the steps lay a pair of beautifully crafted glass doors. An aristocratic porch swing sits close to the doors. Placed next to the swing is a small wooden table. A pattern of windows covers the front of the building. Its deep beige vinyl siding brings out sage framing of the doors, windows, the awning of the first and second floor.

There is a small balcony on the second floor, just above the front doors. Right above the balcony are multiple pitched roofs.

“What?” Gabe asks, snapping me back into focus

“What?” I ask, still stunned by the elegance of the house.

“You said, ‘wow’,” Gabe says, locking the car.

“Oh.” I look at the house again, “It’s just so different- I haven’t seen anything like this.’

He smiles proudly again, “Are you ready to go inside? Or do you just want to stand here admiring it?”

As much as I would like to stay outside, I am eager to see the inside, “Lets go.” I say and link my arm with his.


The interior of the house is equally beautiful as the outside; everything that I see so far is made up of light colors-white, peach, and cream make up the color scheme in the family room, left of the porch. The cream couches -one is up against the large side window and another is up against the far wall- look like they are made of real suede-not like the fake suede on my chair in my room. The flooring is a stunning bamboo that seems to make all cream couches and the white walls stand out. This room brings a sense of security and peace to me.

A very tall man with blond hair it almost appears white stands up and takes the delicate glasses off of his nose and places them on the rectangular glass table between the two couches. He is as pale as the walls in this room, so are the two women sitting on the couches behind him. Paleness must run in the family.

“Aster, this is my dad.” Gabe states.

The tall man walks over to me. It is obvious were Gabe got his height from.

“Hello, Aster. It is a pleasure to finally meet you. I am Adrian.” his voice is deep and he sticks out a hand and I shake it.

“Gabe, you never told me you told your family about me.” I say, confusing myself, and give Gabe a sideways glance.

A women with long golden blond hair strays from the couch and gracefully strides over to me.

“Not much gets past this family,” she says, cheerfully. She looks at Adrian and then at Gabe as if there is an inside joke. She must be the mom. “I’m Angie.” she smile at me, and I can’t help but to smile back.

Angie is shorter then Adrian, but so is Gabe, and I thought Gabe was tall. Angie stands by her husband and she wraps her arms around his waist and he puts a firm arm over her shoulder. I look back at the couches and see the other woman stand and come to greet me.

She idly walks over and I notice that she is much younger then I thought. This must be his sister.

“Hi.” I say first because I have a feeling she won’t be the one to break the ice first.

“Hi.” she says back.

Gabe huffs and coolly slides an arm around my waist, he is eager for us to be alone.

“This is my sister, Calista.”

Angie chuckles, “We might have a whole garden in here soon.” Adrian laughs.

I offer a weak smile at her, but she turns her head away from me.

I look at Gabe who says, “Come on, Aster, I’ll show you my room.” he glares at Calista and leads me upstairs.

The colors in Gabe’s room range from white to a shadow-like black. The room isn’t as messy as I anticipated; the floor is clean, as well as his computer desk and the area around it, but the staircase-like shelves are stuffed with papers and books, his bed is unmade (but then again, is there any teenager who doesn’t make their bed?), and there are papers around his T.V. which sits on his dresser. Above his cool grey comforter, a wide self is attached to the wall. Atop of the shelf lay a guitar case. I glance around his room to see if I can spot a guitar or an amplifier of some kind, and I spy both. A guitar black like his mustang stands leaning up against an amp.

“I never knew you played guitar.” I say, walking over to sit on his bed.

“There are a lot-” he cuts himself short, “Never mind, we’ll both find out lots about each other soon.” he walks over to the other side of his bed and sits down.

He lifts up his comforter and pulls out what looks like a black fuzzy scarf.

“What is that?” I ask.

“Salem.” he answers.

I am about to ask what a ‘salem’ is when the black fuzzy scarf reveals a face with large emerald eyes.

“That,” I confess, “is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.”

Gabe hands me the cat and it quickly curls up between my crossed-legs, purring.

“She likes you.” he states, looking at me with grey eyes.

Hadn’t his eyes been silver earlier? I ask myself then answer my own question, It was the lighting.

“Tell me something about you.” I say, a little more demanding than I meant for.

“Well, my dad is a doctor and my mom stays at home, homeschooling Cally.”

A light bulb goes off in my head, “She was homeschooling you too before you transferred to Middleton, right?”

“Right.” he confirms.

“How long have you been at Middleton?”

“Hm, last month, a few weeks after New Years.”

“And have you always been in Polson?”

“Yeah.”

I rub Salem behind both of her ears, she purrs happily, “Your turn to ask me.”

“If I get out of hand, please hit me. I'm sorry in advance.”

Petting the cat aroused a happy feeling inside of me, hearing Gabe say this replaced it with a sinking feeling. I let out a sigh because I know what he is going to ask me.

“I want to know more about how your parents died.”



© 2011 ~Juliette~


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on June 14, 2011
Last Updated on June 14, 2011


Author

~Juliette~
~Juliette~

Edmonton, Canada



About
Hi! Welcome to my profile. A bit about myself; My name is Juliette and I'm sixteen. I love reading in my spare time as well as writing and drawing. I'm an overall creative person. I cherish my friend.. more..

Writing