The Unpretenders - Chapter 28

The Unpretenders - Chapter 28

A Chapter by Innerspace

I didn't realise it straight away, but exposure to the Eternal Blessing had deeply affected me. For I saw how the book had transformed an apparently self-centred and belligerent society, much like our own, into the kind of paradise that I had previously only dreamt about. Suffice it to say, I was soon feeling inspired. And so was Isobel.


The next morning we headed out on our new bikes, courtesy of Julian, to an area by the lake that I felt was particularly enchanting. My vision was for a lakeside community, nestled between the water and the nearby woods. I wanted it to be off-grid, self-sufficient, and a true demonstration of how it was possible to live on the planet, and with each other.


"What shall we call it?" said Isobel, as I expounded on my plans.


"I don't know. I suppose that New Eden would be too religious?"


"Definitely," she replied, frowning.


"Utopia?" I then suggested.


"Trite!"


"Well, then, you think of one."


But apparently she already had. "How about Sophibel? You know, Sophie and Isobel."


"Sounds more like an ice-cream company," I told her, laughing. "Besides, it's too personal. We're supposed to be manifesting an inner reality here, like the Intronium."


"Why don't we call it that then?"


"What, Intronium?"


"No, Intronia! ...Facing inwards, but looking outwards."


"What the heck is that supposed to mean?"


"I have no idea, but it sounded good."


"Well, I do like the name, but we'll have to work on the slogan."


"So Intronia it is then."


"Intronia it is. Let's shake on it."


Later that day, whilst surfing the Internet, I came across some eco-pod homes that looked similar to the 'eggs' that we had seen on the other planet. "Perfect!" said Isobel, looking over my shoulder. "They don't even need planning permission."


Indeed, the cute little dwellings did seem perfectly suited to our needs. My enthusiasm was curbed, however, by an inexplicable feeling of unease that suddenly washed over me. It felt as if I'd been overlooking something of profound significance, which was just beginning to come into focus. "Be right back," I said, dashing off downstairs.


I found Julian in his studio, sketching a scene from the previous day's excursion. "What's the matter?" he asked, as I arrived, panting.


"That planet," I said, pointing to his canvas, "where is it, exactly?"


"It's not so much where, as when."


"Yeah, that's what I figured."


"Oh?"


"Another question: what's the actual name of their Goddess?"


"They worship the Goddess Sophia."


"I knew it! And who wrote The Book of the Eternal Blessing?"


"Why, you did, of course."


I swallowed, hard, and then tried to speak: "I...  wrote it?"


"Yes, don't look so surprised, Sophia. That's the kind of thing that gods do, after all, isn't it? And, as it happens, you gave them precisely what they needed."


"But, just to be clear, the name of the planet is...?"


"Intronia," he replied. "Formerly known as Earth."



© 2014 Innerspace


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on February 27, 2014
Last Updated on February 27, 2014
Tags: spiritual