Lady of the Harbor

Lady of the Harbor

A Story by JC

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

This the last stanza of the sonnet written by Emma Lazarus, posted inside The Statue of Liberty.

She is known by many names, Lady Liberty, The New Colossus, Lady of the Harbor,

Woman on the Pedestal, but her official name is Statue of Liberty, Enlightening the World (meaning illuminating).    

      

The Statue of Liberty is an impressive piece of art, rising from her bare toes up to 151 feet in the air. Image, standing on the bow of a steamer, perhaps the White Star Line's "Oceanic", passing by her, the all seeing eyes gazing over the harbor, the crown with seven points representing the seven seas or continents depending on which article you read, and the sun glinting behind her head. The tablet in the left hand and her outreaching right, griping the torch, that once was the light house for the island.

The torch, thrust out into the sky, a beacon of hope, and of dreams, The American Dream. The dream of landownership, education and to be a citizen with equality, regardless of class.

It's what enticed some 20 million immigrants to the shores of New York, to pass by that Lady of the Harbor. It's what entices them today.

 

The American Dream now, is not much different than it was during The Golden Age of Immigration.

The dream is now the three bedroom, two bath home, a college education and the ability of self made wealth.

The dream wasn't perfect, wasn't equal for all, all the time, but it was and is a driving force of who we are today.

We are the "Melting Pot" of the world by chance and by choice.

We have the privilege of being able to agree to disagree, without recourse from our government, or from each other.

We are free to worship who we choose and when we choose, or if we choose to worship at all.

We are given a say, regardless of class or creed. This is what is the make up of an American.             

The Statue of Liberty, is still the beacon of hope, the welcomer to the land of opportunity, and the giver of dreams.

Representing today, what she did over one hundred years ago, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

 

She is The Lady of the Harbor

© 2008 JC


Author's Note

JC
After a review of Where Only The Angels Tread, a question was posed about rethinking what The Statue of Liberty represents. I took that challenge and this is what I surmised.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The American dream - yes. You have written this well. It is well set out, great to have began with that poetic quote... and to elaborate on the beauty of the statue which is afterall a work of art. Best wishes, Bethlynne (I'm always in the market for a read of such subjects). Best wishes, Bethlynne.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was very well done...I enjoyed it.

xxoxx

Posted 13 Years Ago


Greatly writteN!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This was a very beautiful piece of work. I loved it and I really did understood it. I'd like to tell you to keep on writing and I can't wait to read some more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I agree with your use of enlightening... for she does enlighten everyone to what our country is suppose to be about... those yes freedom liberty and justice has seemed to taken on different meaning in our society now... freedom means say what want as long as it is politically correct... liberty means the rich get what they want no matter how it effects other and justice means the powerful get away with anything while the less fortunate take the blame. Nut as long as that statue still stands there is hope.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
JC
Authors note in response to Twilight:

The term "enlightening" has not been definately accounted for, primarily due to the translation from French to English. I took the literal translation, in consideration for the piece.

According to some records, Bartholdi wanted the torch to represent the light of freedom, however further verification would be required.

Thank you,

JC

Posted 14 Years Ago


Thankyou for sharring this with your fellow Group members, JC! And obviously, with 4th July being only yesterday, such wise timing! Furthermore, your factual information about this famous statue helps to make the poem even more meaningful to the reader!

I also like the way in which you have added your own personal insights, about The Statue Of Liberty in the context of the American Dream. In addition, you have even defined what it means to be an American!

Just a minor observation, in regard to the word "enlightenment". Although I know what you mean, "illuminate" is more frequently used to represent the physical bringing of light to a location. Thus, it's an obvious (yet worthy) metaphor or representation of bringing "enlightenment" (as in the context of bringing awareness or understanding).

But, what do our fellow Group members think of this piece? Do they agree with the writer's interpretations, and comparisons with the past? Over to you!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a very well written essay JC, but I have a question. How do you think this essay fits into the national debate regarding people who are crossing our southern border, "yearning to be free" and looking for opportunity. As I said, your essay was very well written, but I am just gathering opinion about the issue of immigration. Your essay tells me that you have researched the issue and I am very interested in your opinion.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

The American dream - yes. You have written this well. It is well set out, great to have began with that poetic quote... and to elaborate on the beauty of the statue which is afterall a work of art. Best wishes, Bethlynne (I'm always in the market for a read of such subjects). Best wishes, Bethlynne.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

245 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

JC
JC

Fort Worth, TX



About
I am 40+ year old native of Fargo, North Dakota, (yes I said Fargo.). I've journaled, blogged and written poetry my entire adult life, and now I am starting to write a novel, which if published, will .. more..

Writing
Looking For Clues Looking For Clues

A Story by JC



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Deal The Deal

A Poem by Tania Leigh