When You See a Stranger

When You See a Stranger

A Poem by JayG
"

A bit of silliness for the kids. Prosody is a bit off and there are inconsistencies stanza-to-stanza, but luckily, kids don't notice

"

When You See a Stranger

A question for kids

 

 

You see a stranger on the street

Where would you go, if you wore his feet?

 

Is he kind to his children? Is he nice to his wife?

Or is his day troubled…and filled with strife?

 

With what kind of treat does he end his meal?

Is it ice cream and pie, or crackers with eel?

 

Is reddish purple his favorite hue?

Or greenish red, all mixed with blue?

 

Does he drive a car or row a boat?

Fly an eagle…or ride a goat?

 

How does he get where he hopes to be?

Perhaps he swings from tree-to-tree?

 

Is his family nice or zombie-esque?

Do they call to talk or only text?

 

Do they read a book or do they dance?

When danger calls do they take a chance?

 

But, asking that, a thought occurs.

Would they like your world?

Would you like theirs?

© 2024 JayG


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"you see a stranger on the street. Where would you go if you wore his feet?" That says it all for me. I was already hooked on the first line. In fact I think I may start asking my children this question to see what they come up with. Its charming and inquisitive. Thank you for sharing it.

Posted 7 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Fun poem. And a lesson on seeing and thinking about the masses of individuals around us all.

Thank you for sharing.

Scott

Posted 1 Year Ago


Cute.

Sure, it would be an interesting world if people were able to switch places with one another and live each others lives a little.

Maybe we'd better understand one another, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.


Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
The first two stanzas seem serious and then it takes a turn to the whimsical silly side. The seriousness of subject is still present, but with humor. Second poem this morning that will cause me to wonder about strangers. Nice twist at the end. The measure in which we judge others will come back to us.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I'm with it till the last two stanzas, then I stumbled. Unsure if it is the break in rhyme on the last or the change of prospective from the person observed to his family. I enjoyed the people watching, I'm the observer slant to the piece and value the examination of our questioning the contents of the book by its cover. Glad I read it. Thanks for the post. Are you familiar with the singer song writer John Prine's "Hello In There"?

Posted 1 Year Ago


It makes you wonder if you have the time , from your work or paying your bills or vining your sick relative
In hospital ,

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ok see i read yours, i would've thought this had perfect prosody and even now i can't see where it's off as you admitted.
Its a fantastic poem on meeting a stranger, questions asked in a fun enjoyable way and flow. Kudos!

Posted 1 Year Ago


Very good, i like the flip of perspective. We often are stuck in our own first person scenario. This also begs to reduce the judgementalness that can occur when perceiving the lives of others. I look forward to reading more from you Jay. "Fly and eagle or row a boat" lol very nice, whimsical as well as introspective.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I love it !. I personally write about strangers alot myself . I just found this place today so im browsing trying to get a feel of what this is like . I love strangers , the mystery ! Excellent poem thank you

Posted 1 Year Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love it; this is the kind of work I’ve been hoping to find and enjoy on platforms like this. That last line… it’s perfect how it breaks form and grabs your attention; the nursery rhyme has ended, welcome to Earth.

Posted 1 Year Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I would assume that it would all depend on first impressions. You wrote a poem that rhymed. Of course this is the first poem I have read of yours. Good work my friend.
LSW


Posted 1 Year Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1702 Views
83 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 9, 2021
Last Updated on May 13, 2024
Tags: Kids, fun, silly

Author

JayG
JayG

Elkins Park, PA



About
I've been actively writing fiction for about 40 years and have been offered, and signed, 7 publishing contracts. I have a total of 30 novels available at booksellers at the moment. I've taught wri.. more..

Writing
The Nose Knows The Nose Knows

A Poem by JayG


Life Life

A Poem by JayG



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..