Love as I See It

Love as I See It

A Poem by Jennie Baron
"

This grew out of some discussion I've had in the past few days about the nature of love.

"

Some say true love doesn’t exist.

Some speak of it as a sweet, but quaint,

Outdated notion.

 

Some speak of love as a disease

An addiction

A codependent trap

In which we lose ourselves

Until there’s no longer a “me,” only “we.”

 

Some are looking for someone to “complete” them.

Others say love is the union of two already “complete” souls.

I say we shouldn’t overthink it.

I say if we wait to be self-actualized,

We’ll wait forever; at least I would!

 

We won’t know the joy of a love

That allows for give and take

For compromise

That gives both space to grow,

Because if you give just a little of yourself

You can get so much in return.

 

We won’t know the pleasure of having someone

Who knows us intimately and accepts us anyway,

Makes us feel secure,

The simple joy of having a companion

To share the good things in life.

© 2014 Jennie Baron


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Yes, you're absolutely right. Love's a sharing of "good" things in life. It shares both pain and pleasure; heat of spring & coldness of winter; emotions of heart & tears of eyes; faith in compassion & belief in "true-lies"... which're utmost truth, but still they ain't find it. Beautiful imagery you've come up with. Enjoyed reading your thought invoking poetry!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much--again. You're much appreciated.



Reviews

I was lucky to find the woman I did when I did. She has been patient with me as I grew into the man she knew I would become. I think everyone should be grace with one such love in their life. Well written as I have come to expect of your work. Applaud Applaud Bravo!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Jennie Baron

8 Years Ago

Wow, I'm really honored to receive such a review from a poet whose writing I truly like and respect!.. read more
J Todd Underhill

8 Years Ago

Heck yes! you should share it tomorrow! I like your writing, I really do. The fact of the matter is .. read more
Jennie -
love would be so much easier if we let it happen. If we didn't put restrictions on it, love has no time limits. Love is not meant to be postponed we are to live it as it comes to us letting it take two hearts to their own rapturous paradise.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Jennie Baron

8 Years Ago

So right! As you can tell from this poem, you're preaching to the choir! Again, thanks so much for.. read more
Dave

8 Years Ago

Believe me, its a pleasure reading such beauty.
Well Jennie couldn't agree more and that's the game of life. Nobody's wins without acceptance, endurance, perserverence, trusting, sharing...whatever it is when it works it's good. I've felt it and seen it. We have to grow as humans, that attraction to each other should bring out the best in each other, and maybe sometimes, that needs healing. Loved the poem...you said it so well. We have to feel good about ourselves when around someone for the relationship to suceed; that security. Thanks. Great writing. Dale

Posted 8 Years Ago


Jennie Baron

8 Years Ago

Again, I'm so honored by the kind words and very glad the writing spoke to you! Thanks much,
.. read more
Confuser

8 Years Ago

You're welcome!
Yes, you're absolutely right. Love's a sharing of "good" things in life. It shares both pain and pleasure; heat of spring & coldness of winter; emotions of heart & tears of eyes; faith in compassion & belief in "true-lies"... which're utmost truth, but still they ain't find it. Beautiful imagery you've come up with. Enjoyed reading your thought invoking poetry!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much--again. You're much appreciated.
Jennie... you've said it well-- love is what we personally need it to be when the time is right! No need for bowing to other people's definitions, for over analysis, or for waiting for perfection. We must grab it when it bumps us in the night... Just the right tone in this one too! Thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

Thanks to you for reading and reviewing!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tks
Yes, we all seem to be chasing this notion of 'love' in a certain, defined sense. But, the way you put your words, "The simple joy of having a companion", is wonderful. The sense of security and just..love...it can be intangible sometimes, right? Hahaha it's indeed wonderful to ponder about love with your soulmate in your bed, and then fall asleep with them in your arms...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

:) Yes indeed it is. You know whereof I speak, then.
I think there's a point in your life when you know what you want and need in a relationship, and from the clarity in your views and in your words, it appears you know exactly what you want. I think the message is solid, love isn't as true and constant as day and night, love is more like the seasons, ever changing, and sometimes unpredictable... a companionship is the closest one can get to true love, a love that has evolved.

It's a well thought out poem, very well written and polished, clear and concise. Something to read again, out aloud perhaps, with a bottle of wine and someone willing to question love and it's chemistry.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

How great to get such an intelligent and complimentary review! Yes, the reaction to this poem has b.. read more
That's a beautiful way to clarify all the misconceptions about love. I often wonder if love exists at all, and if it does, then can everyone feel it. All these concepts about fairy tale romances, they have complicated love so much. Honestly, according to me, it is love when you two can talk and talk all day, and not feel exhausted or bored.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

You are spot on, Moon! As always, thanks for reading!
Beautiful poem. And love certainly does exist. This world is dangerous and hateful enough and if it wasn't for love, live would be just utter violence and chaos. Loved this poem! I plan on reading more of your poetry, I like your style of writing.

Abigail

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Abigail, both for reading and for the positive words.
Abigail

9 Years Ago

Your welcome sweetie!
Excellent take on the subject, words of wisdom to be sure!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Jennie Baron

9 Years Ago

Your reading and review are much appreciated, Oberon!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2420 Views
55 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 15, 2014
Last Updated on June 15, 2014

Author

Jennie Baron
Jennie Baron

Dallas, TX



About
Music is a huge part of my life and an inspiration. My favorite bands include Train, Imagine Dragons, James, Matchbox Twenty, etc. And of course I still listen to all of those classic-rock songs tha.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..