Guardian

Guardian

A Chapter by JimmyS

The large man turned around.

So you don’t speak much eh? Well...My name is Verrad. my apologies for what you just witnessed. Neither child nor man should see such things.

An awkward silence settled in as the girl simply kept her tired eyes fixed on Verraad.

Well, I can’t just leave you for the wolves can I? Why, you wouldn't feed a pack would you?

An onset of embarrassing laughter followed, met only by a blank look from the child.

I’ll take you to the nearest town child. Come to think of it, I can't just call you child can I?

The girls glared arrogantly,  well aware of the fact Verrad was about to answer his own question.

Kali, yes Kali seems like a wonderful name...So Kali, let's see about returning you to your parents. We shall head for the mine, the faster route there by my standards.

Kali felt a great deal of trust towards Verrad, which seemed odd given the circumstances of how they came to meet.

Let us make haste, nightfall is upon us.

 Verrad started to pace away with great speed. Taking elephant-like strides, Kali struggled to keep pace with him. Every few minutes he would look back at Kali, as though he was expecting her to disappear at any moment. She found this to be somewhat disheartening. Adding to her building fear of this forest, and what other horrors may be hidden within it.

 

After an hour of tediously pacing through the forest, Verrad stopped abruptly as they reached what appeared to be a small stone house. Thick ivy covered a considerable amount of the walls, draping down heavily. No windows were visible, Kali found this odd, what kind of a house has no windows? Verrad slowly walked up to the short wooden door.

Kali, say nothing. Let your gaze meet only the ground.

Something about this place had Verrad worried, his words seemed unsure. Still, Kali trusted him and as he requested she looked down, albeit with a look of innocent confusion on her face. With a powerful thump, Verrad knocked at the door. After a few short moments the sound of heavy bolts unlatching were heard. The door slowly creaked open. The temptation was too much; Kali had to see what was happening. She raised her head slightly to see Verrad sharing muffled verses with another person whose figure was enveloped in a blanket of darkness. Verrad turned back to Kali with a smile on his face. He began to walk away from the house, in doing so he revealed the figure who stood in the doorway. An old lady, hunched over in a most uncomfortable manner. Before closing the door behind her, both the old lady's and Kali's eyes met, sending a shiver down her spine. The frightened girl looked back down at the ground below her feet.

Come, we have been granted safe passage. Verrad said with reassuring gentleness as he gently stroked Kali's shoulder.

 

The sun beginning to set, the beams of light that before illuminated the forest had now began to withdraw their wealth.

This is not good. We need to find shelter before dusk sets in.

 



© 2014 JimmyS


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on October 28, 2014
Last Updated on October 28, 2014
Tags: horror, thriller, child abuse, morals, creepy, Halloween, death, dark, adventure


Author

JimmyS
JimmyS

Barnsley, United Kingdom



About
I have been writing for a few years now in my spare time. In writing, I tend to enjoy the thought of creating worlds where the terrible and taboo can become a reality. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by JimmyS


Sleep Tight Sleep Tight

A Chapter by JimmyS


Revelations Revelations

A Chapter by JimmyS