Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Joseh

The wind blew my bangs across my face for the millionth time. I brushed them away and blinked the sun out of my eyes. As I got to Main Street, I looked both ways and ran to the other side of the road. When I hit the shade, I sighed in contempt. For the end of May, it was sure hot out, and as much as the wind could be annoying, it was also a life saver. Now in the safety of the trees and buildings, I made my way to the candy shop where some ice cream was waiting for me. The song that I was listening to ended, so I took out my MP3 to skip songs. My converse clad foot made contact with a raised piece of concrete that was once part of the sidewalk, and I just barely saved myself from the pain and embarrassment of my face hitting the ground. I went to re-insert my left earphone when I heard my name being called.


“...wait a second!” A male voice continued on, making my skin crawl with familiarity. I turned around to be faced with one of the last people that I would like to see at any given moment.


“Yeah?” I stuttered in surprise.


“Hey, you dropped this...” He replied awkwardly and showed me the palm of his right hand where my two headed coin sat.  


“Oh, thanks...” I took my lucky charm back from him and smiled. “I don’t know what I’d to if I lost it...It must have fallen out when I skipped songs...” I cleared my throat, feeling embarrassed.


“No problem...” He smiled back while scratching the back of his head in discomfort.


“I...Uh...I saw you the other day?” He offered, trying to start a conversation.


“Oh?” I looked down, playing innocent, and picked at a loose thread from my belt. I already knew this, since my best friend saw him too.


“Yeah, you were walking with some chick...Right around here, actually.”


“Oh, that was my best friend. We went to the Candy store...Which is where I’m heading now, so, yeah...” I threw the thread away and looked up to meet his dark eyes. They were just like I remembered them: intensely welcoming, the perfect shade of brown, and the pair of eyes that I’d always get lost in.


He chuckled. “Getting some ice cream?”


I nodded, regretting with every passing second my decision to walk over here after work.


“Do you want some company?” He took a step towards me after asking the question that my heart wanted to hear just as much as my ears hated to be met with.


“I don’t think your friends would appreciate you ditching them.” The words flew out of my mouth with more force than necessary.   


He took a step back, obviously tasting the bitterness that coated my words. “I’m alone, actually. I was heading home after a night of rehearsing.”


“Look, I don’t think-“


“For old time’s sake?” He cut me off, giving it his last effort. I sighed and closed my eyes in defeat. “Come on, it won’t be that bad.” When I opened my eyes to glare at him, I was met with a playful smirk that only made me chuckle. 


I turned around and headed for my destination once again, but this time accompanied by a guy who I haven’t spoken to in over a year. I turned off my MP3, took out the remaining earphone out of my ear, and placed the whole thing inside my black purse. Now, the only sounds reaching my ears were the patter of our feet against the hot, dry sidewalk and the beat of my heart against my eardrums. We spent the three minute walk in a silence that was only broken by the ring of a bell when he opened the door for me.


“Thanks.” We smiled at each other and I walked in the small building. The sweet smells of brown sugar, chocolate, and freshly baked cookies mixed perfectly with the bitterer one of coffee. There were shelves piled high with every kind of candy that you could think of: jelly beans of every color, chocolates of every shape, and candies in every kind of wrappers. Behind the glass counter, who was busy cutting pieces of fudge, was a skinny blond girl with pigtails and big blue eyes. When she heard the bell ring, she gave us a glance and wiped her hands on her black apron.

“Hey guys, what can I get you today?” She smiled, showing her white teeth.


“Could I have one medium chocolate chip cookie dough, please? Oh, could I have that in a bowl?” I asked her as my companion made his way to the jelly beans.


“Of course.”


After I had paid for my frozen treat, I slowly made my way over to him. He had filled up a bag with a variety of beans and was now securing a twist tie to the top.


“Have you seen all the different kinds? F**k, they even have buttered toast and bacon, and roasted marshmallow!” I grinned as he motioned to the jars with excitement.


“I know, Daven, I come here all the time.” 


“But have you tried them?” He asked, cocking his left eyebrow.


“No,” I shook my head. “and I don’t plan on it.” I laughed at his attempted shocked expression and took a spoonful of ice cream in my mouth.


“Jaime won’t try something new? What are the odds?”


“Unbelievable, I know.”


We grinned at each other and made our way to the counter. He paid and walked out into the blazing heat. I followed, groaning as the cool air of the shop turned into the warm breeze of the outside world.



© 2010 Joseh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting beginning. I like the character development right from the start. I too am starting on my own story. Can't wait to see how yours works out. Keep writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 25, 2010
Last Updated on May 25, 2010


Author

Joseh
Joseh

The city I'm in, creeper, Canada



About
I'm a 17 year old girl who draws and writes to express herself. more..

Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Joseh