Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Joseh

“How did the wind turn to fire during the like 5 minutes we were in there for?” I watched my ice cream melt before my eyes.


“I don’t know. Do you want to go for a drink? You know, so you won’t melt along with the ice cream that you’re glaring at?” He looked at me pleadingly as he asked. I wondered if he was as reluctant as me to let this moment end.


“Sure, but just because I’m actually really thirsty.”  I shoveled the ice cream into my mouth, wanting to get to it before the sun did.


“Whatever you say.” He replied, watching me with amusement. We continued walking, me, swallowing my ice cream whole and him, humming to a song that was playing in his head. A minute later, I shucked my empty bowl in the garbage.


“Someone was hungry.” He mocked me.


“Yeah, I was. That’s what happens when you wake up at 7:30 because you can’t sleep in this heat and lose a million hours of sleep and have to be at work an hour later.” I ranted, silently cursing my body’s inability to stand the sun’s rays.


“Sounds like a blast.” He chuckled. “Where do you work now, anyway?”

“The Funeral Home down the road.” I stated, watching his face go from a look of curiousness to one of amazement.


“Nice.”


“Yep. Can you believe I’m actually doing it? I remember when I used to tell you that that’s what I would do when I grew up, ages ago.” I smiled sadly.


“Yeah, I remember. What is it that you do over there?” He asked after opening the door to his favorite bar for me.


“Right now I’m only an assistant, but I’m going to college soon to direct. I just need to save up enough money first.”


He nodded and we walked over to the back, where a door led to an outside sitting area. The roof was protecting us from the sun, and the lack of walls let the wind play with our hair. He led me to a table for two in the corner and pulled out a chair for me. Shocked, I sat down. He sat down in front of me and let his chin rest against his intertwined fingers.


“What about you?” I asked him. His stare was stirring up my thoughts and making buried emotions rise.


“What about me?” He smirked.


“What are you up to lately? Do you have a job? How’s it going with the girlfriend?” My heart sunk when I asked him the last question, because honestly, I had forgotten about her until I asked.


“No, I do not have a job. The band and I have been working our asses off to get the show on the road, so I’ve been waiting for that to pay off. We’re getting there. And as for the soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend, I’d rather not discuss her.” He ran his fingers through his black hair, pushing it back away from his eyeliner contoured eyes.


”Okay...” I stuttered.   


Just before he could reply, a waiter made his appearance and handed us menus, asking if he could get us drinks. He had spiked brown hair and deep blue eyes. I asked for an iced tea, and Daven asked for a beer. The young man shuffled along, obviously feeling that he had interrupted a conversation that was on its way to getting awkward. I picked up my menu, thankful for the distraction. I glanced over the thin piece of folded cardboard and met his eyes. He was looking at me with a mixed look of regret and longing. His menu was still where the waiter had left it.


“What? You already know what you’re getting? Or are you not hungry?” I stammered on, feeling anxious and almost embarrassed.


“Jaime...” His voice trailed off, leaving me hanging and my questions unanswered. “I’m sorry.”            



© 2010 Joseh


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like reading this. The references to the "old times" make me want to know what happened, who these characters are and their relationship with each other. Nice work :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
1 Review
Added on May 25, 2010
Last Updated on May 25, 2010


Author

Joseh
Joseh

The city I'm in, creeper, Canada



About
I'm a 17 year old girl who draws and writes to express herself. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Joseh