Temporary Goodbyes

Temporary Goodbyes

A Chapter by Solidad

Life seemed to have come to a complete halt for those few months. Until you got the job you finally applied for and we moved cross country. We packed quickly and moved precisely. I hardly had enough time to tell my family and you hadn’t even bothered with yours.


You smiled wildly, steering the beat up station wagon through each state, U-HAUL attached to the back. The heavy stuff will meet us there. Dulcey was three and I was excited about actually moving into a house.


“Smile,” you ordered, “that’s such an ugly face you’re making.”


“I’m happy, I just don’t feel like smiling. Is that ok with you?”


“Don’t get smart,” you frowned, “We’ll be fine and yes, I do mind.”


I couldn’t have forced one if I’d wanted too. So I turned to face my sleeping sunshine. She was getting so big.


“Here we will have to be a nuclear family?” I questioned.


“Here will be the same.”


“Whatever,” I stroked her foot.


You were right, the movers did meet us there. Unfortunately so did reality. I didn’t have Deenie and I was truly on my own. I wanted to cry, and almost did.


The new town seemed to have quite and effect on you. Who knew maybe you actually liked suburbia. Maybe I was daydreaming again, never could tell. Things were perfect if there was such a thing.


I’d applied for a job at the bank as a teller. It was the closest thing I could come to my dream of becoming an accountant. You grimaced and I placed Dulcey into a top daycare. Things seemed normal. I wore a bubble gum wedding set to ward away evil as you called it. I found it funny how you seem protected without your band you left on the bathroom sink every morning.


Deenie often called to make sure I wasn’t in any trouble.


“You know I find it highly ironic that you talk to your sister as much now as you did if not more than when we lived there,” you answered the phone.


“Put my sister on and get off the damn phone, Eric,” Deenie wasn’t one to put up with lolly-gagging.

“Hannah!”


“Hey Deenie,” I was excited to report good news.


“How ya been?”


“Good good. Got a job at the bank and Dulcey is getting big,” I smiled.


“Sounds like you’re doing real good,” she wanted to be happy for me.


“Deenie what’s wrong?”


“Just miss my sister,” she sounded stuffy.


“Now correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t I supposed to be the one calling you and saying that?”


She laughed, “Yeah.”


“I told you there was nothing to be worried about,” I seemed hopeful.


“Did he at least marry you?”


No, “Yeah, Deenie. It was a small wedding. As a matter of fact it was just a short and sweet ceremony with Eric, Dulcey and I.” I’d become quite the liar.


“So how long you plan on staying there?”


“Oh… I don’t know.”


“Well then how about I come up to visit?”


“Don’t know if Eric would like that.”


“F**k Eric Hannah I wanna see you and Dulcey.”


“Things have been pretty good around here Deenie I don’t need you checking up on me. I won’t always be the screwed up little sister you know.”


“I know, I know. I just saw some scary things and I wanna make sure you’re ok.”


“If I weren’t don’t you think I’d let you know?”


“Hmm…”


“Well I gotta go.”

“I love you Hannah.”


“I love you too Deenie,” I hung up the receiver.


I always hated saying goodbye to her. But sometimes I just had to do what was in my best interest. And keeping Deenie at a distance if only for a little while was in my best interest.













© 2010 Solidad


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
r
Another short chapter. Hannah must hate lying to Deenie; I know I would. Although if it was ME, I would have left the first time he hit me.

But maybe that's just me.

As always, love the form and everything. Hate how they had to move, but oh well...I guess. Something evil is going to happen, I jsut know it. I can feel it on the horizon. Dulcey sounds adorable, by the way. Love it. (:

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
1 Review
Added on January 30, 2010
Last Updated on January 30, 2010


Author

Solidad
Solidad

FL



About
"I own everything that has happened to me. I'll tell my stories and if people wanted me to write warmly about them; they should've behaved better." -Unknown more..

Writing
Abhorrent Abhorrent

A Poem by Solidad


Fridays Fridays

A Poem by Solidad


Lamictal Lamictal

A Poem by Solidad