No Such Thing

No Such Thing

A Chapter by Solidad

Groceries were running low and I’d never expect you to do anything about it. I had a few hours before I had to pick up Dulcey which gave me a few minutes of peace in the store. It was odd I have to admit.


Work let out early due to testing of the fire alarm. It became a nuisance to those who obviously didn’t have children. The company bosses became bothered by all of the complaining and allowed a day off. Without pay granted.


Broccoli, chicken, cereal, milk, bread, cheese, I read farther down the list and realized just how behind I was on the shopping. But considering I was the only one working now, you could’ve found time to do the shopping. But that must have been against your religion too.


The canned food aisle.


I tried to remember how many cans of pork and beans you had left. That was me always thinking of you.


“Toothpaste,” memo to self.


I walked down that aisle and sighed, today wasn’t getting any easier. Maybe I should call Deenie and take her up on her idea. At least then you’d have to pretend to hide your addiction for a few days. Pretend to be happy. Although Dulcey wasn’t a liar like her Daddy.


I checked out and loaded the car. There are only so many things one person could think about on a ride to a single destination.


I’d come home and unloaded the car, to an empty house I entered. A change, something quiet to listen too. I put up the cold things and decided on a bubble bath.


Something we use to do way back when. And I’d put on one of your button up shirts and crawl into bed with you and we’d fall asleep. And the nights where you loved me and did so gently. You would have done anything for me and I did anything for you, because people who are in love do that.


The water was hot.


It only caressed vacant thoughts from the back of my memory.


I’d never hurt you,” you whispered into my ear


And I believed you.


The water danced around my exposed knees. Bubbles popped at my touch, and I sank in the water.


I closed my eyes only to open then under sudsy water.


I pretended to swim.


The phone rang, and I choked trying to get out of the tub.


“Hello?”


“Hello, is this a bad time?” Leo laughed.


“No,” I stood in the kitchen naked, on the phone, wet.


“I was wondering about that play date you suggested?” his laughing sobered.


“What about it?” I ran a wet hand over my face. A puddle collected at my feet.


“Is it possible to make it this week?”


“Sure,” I crossed my arms, “when would be convenient for you?”


“Would Tuesday be cool?” he was considerate.


“Sure, I’ll pick up Dulcey after work and then we’ll meet…”


“At the park?” he suggested.


“Ok,” I smiled. This conversation was turning me on, “I gotta go.”


“All right, see you then.” I could hear him smile.


“I really gotta go,” I didn’t want to but the goose bumps were becoming painful.


We hung up.


I stood there for a moment. Naked, not on the phone, now cold, and wet.


I sat in the parking lot for a moment before entering the day care. I paid up until 5:30 then I was going to use it all up.


“Mommy!” she flew at me.


“Hello, Mrs.Hartford,” the women greeted me.


“Its Miss.Taylor and please call me Hannah.” I don’t know why but having you formally attached to me irked my nerves.


“I’m sorry Miss.Taylor I just assumed because of Dulcey’s last name and her father’s last name.”


“And when have you ever seen her father?” I looked at her sideways. You’d never been to pick her up.


“Just last week,” the woman defended herself.


“Is that so,” I picked Dulcey up and took her backpack from the woman, “Thank you.”


Someone else had met you and I never knew about it.




© 2010 Solidad


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
r
WOW. Eric's keeping secrets! ...like THAT's anything new. Whatever, that was funny, when she was on the phone NAKED with Leo.

i still think hannah's going to get hell from eric!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
1 Review
Added on January 30, 2010
Last Updated on January 30, 2010


Author

Solidad
Solidad

FL



About
"I own everything that has happened to me. I'll tell my stories and if people wanted me to write warmly about them; they should've behaved better." -Unknown more..

Writing
Abhorrent Abhorrent

A Poem by Solidad


Fridays Fridays

A Poem by Solidad


Lamictal Lamictal

A Poem by Solidad