BWHYB - Chpt 3

BWHYB - Chpt 3

A Chapter by JulieZee
"

A new character is introduced

"

A solitary form stands on the horizon waiting in silent vigil. Inky and black the figure rises to watch the events unfold, unflinching as the violence ensues, unmoved by the cloud of emotion that rises as thick as a sand storm. Shapeless and shifting in rolls across the sand slithering through the brush and tumble weeds. It stops several yards from the well and waits for Hagar and Benito to leave. Hesitant it moves forward slower now. The air is empty and all that is left is death and the desperate, losing battle to live. Moving closer to the abandoned well, a tall man with the arms of an orangutan and wiry hair to match, begins to materialize out of the shadowy figure as it shakes off the shapeless form like dead leaves which disintegrate as they fall to the ground. Danny is dead, he’s sure of it.

Benjamin was Danny’s Observer since the day she was born he had been following her, watching for a sign that would not come and now it seemed his sentence had ended. There are two types of Observes in this world. Ones like Benjamin who had been bound to someone as a punishment for any number of wrongdoings and the others who were born into the Order of the Christ Child. Jeremiah, Samantha’s Observer, was the later.

Benjamin wondered where Jeremiah was. He needed to know what to do next. Was his sentence lifted now that Danny was dead? Could he go home? Was he free of this wretched w***e? He tried to remind himself that she wasn’t always like this. He couldn’t help thinking that her life should have turned out much different. Not that he felt guilty, he was an Observer bound to her and was forbid to intervene. But still, it was a shame. She was quite beautiful and intelligent. Benjamin sighed. She was none of that now. Whiskey soaked, used by everyone who crossed her path, she waited till now to find her voice again and in the end was stomped down once again by another tyrant.

Benjamin leaned over ledge; it was pitch black, too black for the time of day. He should have been able to see the bottom and the two bodies. There was a rustling like leaves in the wind or feathers and he leans further to listen.

“She’s dead.” Jeremiah says.

Benjamin jumps and has to catch himself from falling into the pit. He never got used to Jeremiah’s comings and goings. “Geez! Are you trying to kill me?”

“Report to The Counselor and wait for your next assignment.” Jeremiah says too intent on the well to notice Benjamin’s reaction.

“Another assignment? What if there is no one for me?”

“Then you wait.” Jeremiah was agitated. Benjamin could hear the rustling growing louder.

“What is that?” Benjamin asked.

”Report to the Counselor, Benjamin.” Jeremiah said firmly not breaking his gaze from the well. The sound grew louder and it was clear that it was the sound wings. From the bottom of the pit, as if it were coming from the depths of hell, a primal screech filled with rage rushed up with a powerful wind and caused Benjamin to fall back, smacking the back of his head. A tornado of dirt, stone and tumble weeds formed a large column above the well.

Jeremiah looked at Benjamin and flipped his hand towards him in the motion of swatting a fly and spoke firmly, “Go.” A gust of wind and sand washed over Benjamin, he felt as if his skin was being grated from his bones. When he opened his eyes he was in the office of the High Counselor of The Order covered in dirt and gasping for air.

Benjamin told the counselor the accounts of what happened. The old man smiled and told him to wait for his next assignment. He waited patiently for three full months. When no assignment came he asked to be allowed to leave so that he could visit Abram of The Brotherhood in Los Angeles, who he also recounted the story to. Abram dismissed Benjamin and immediately called a meeting of the Four Rites.

No one offered Benjamin an excuse or explanation. They treated him like they always had, a second class citizen, except for now it was tinged with a large dose of hatred. He spent his days meditating and praying for a door to be opened to him. It was several weeks before Abram approached Benjamin with a proposition.

Benjamin was praying in the courtyard of the church. It was a perfect day in Los Angeles. There was a breeze coming in from sea and the monsoon layer lingered long into the late morning which kept the July air unseasonably cool. Abram approached Benjamin reluctant to ask for help. Pride had kept the old man from coming to Benjamin for help, but he was out of options.

“Jeremiah has disappeared with Samantha.” Abram began.

“Samantha is alive? How is that possible?” Benjamin interrupted.

Abram sighed at Benjamin’s lack of discipline. “We need you to find him for us.” Abram said. “Once you find him we need you to stay with him and continue to report back to us.”

“Why me? Why not just go to the Order?”

“If they know where he is they aren’t telling us. Plus, Jeremiah trusts you. He seems to like you.” Abram said with disgust not understanding how anyone could like Benjamin. “Do this for me and you will be exonerated from any past discretion and allow for your proper training in The Four Rites.” Abram said the words as if they were acid in his throat.

Benjamin stared at the ground. He never really liked Jeremiah, but if it wasn’t for him Benjamin would have hung in the gallows long ago. Jeremiah had agreed that what Benjamin did was unforgivable but argued that if he had the proper mentoring none of it would have happened. Benjamin could tell them that there was a rivalry between the two men that ran deeper than their own blood. It went deeper than that to the forming of The Order of the Christ Child and the sect that broke from it to become The Brotherhood. Benjamin decided that nothing mattered more to him than taking his rightful place among the Brotherhood and if he had to betray Jeremiah then so be.



© 2011 JulieZee


Author's Note

JulieZee
I've been struggling with this transitional chapter from the very beginning. Any suggestions/critique would be greatly appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow... I was truely sucked into the story. I'm starting to hate Benjamin ( as a character.. not in a bad way... its his personality) but his way of viewing things make the book so interesting that it seems impossible not to love him at the same time. The only thing I'm confused about is what exactly is the order of the Christ child? But other than that, great job!!
.novelists.elite.info.
.display. Anita
.memberID. 043
.division. V
.division.leader. Vacant
.name. ----
.username. sodifferent
.novels.----
.status. New Member
.join date. 07-16-11

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This story just took a complete left turn and took me by surprise...something that doesn't happen too often. I like the direction you're headed in, but I agree with you that the transition was a little...bumpy. I had to stop reading, go back and check a few paragraphs over and over to keep up. All of a sudden there were a lot of different names and titles out there and I had to make a mental list. My advice? Leave it and come back to it with fresh eyes. Works for me.
.novelists.elite.info.
.display. Lorrie
.memberID. 052
.division. VI
.division.leader. Vacant
.name. ----
.username. longislandlorrie
.novels. ----
.status. New Member
.join date. 07-19-11

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow... I was truely sucked into the story. I'm starting to hate Benjamin ( as a character.. not in a bad way... its his personality) but his way of viewing things make the book so interesting that it seems impossible not to love him at the same time. The only thing I'm confused about is what exactly is the order of the Christ child? But other than that, great job!!
.novelists.elite.info.
.display. Anita
.memberID. 043
.division. V
.division.leader. Vacant
.name. ----
.username. sodifferent
.novels.----
.status. New Member
.join date. 07-16-11

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

278 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 22, 2011
Last Updated on July 22, 2011


Author

JulieZee
JulieZee

CA



About
I find the most interesting part about a person is the thoughts and feelings that go unsaid and unnoticed. So many people say they are straight forward and an open book. However, there are always thou.. more..

Writing
Nervous Nervous

A Poem by JulieZee