BWHYB - Chapter Five

BWHYB - Chapter Five

A Chapter by JulieZee
"

Benjamin goes to be with Jeremiah

"

Benjamin drove north on the California highway to the high desert past Little Rock. He stared at his hands gripping the steering wheel and wondered if he would ever look at them the same again. A thick layer of clouds was rolling in from the coast. It blocked out the moon and he was thankful for the darkness that now concealed his hands. The time of night also offered minimal traffic and he arrived at Jeremiah’s property in a few short hours.

There was no distinguishable driveway and Benjamin had to pull his car onto the shoulder. He looked at his watch. It was only three in the morning. With no light and given the early hour, Benjamin decided it would be best to stay put till it was a more hospitable hour. Just as he was about to drift off to sleep a rap on his window startled him to full alert.

Waving at him through the dusty car window was the weathered and smiling Jeremiah. Benjamin stared at him for a few moments before sleep left his eyes and the familiar face registered. Benjamin affectionately called him the old man. No one was really sure of his age or his origins. Jeremiah had been around longer than anyone could put a finger on. But there were times when a certain childish twinkle would catch in his eye and Benjamin got the feeling that maybe he was the one that should be carrying the geriatric title.

“Roll down the window.” Jeremiah mouthed.

Benjamin stared at him still hazy from sleep, his body a step behind him.

“What are you doing out here?” Jeremiah asked.

“I have nowhere to go.” If he were to be honest with himself he still held out hope that if he could find something on Jeremiah then Abram would take him back with loving arms but he realized that wasn’t going to happen in the near future so he came to the one person he hoped would offer him refuge.

“Well then, you can stay with us.” Jeremiah said cheerfully as he climbed in the car. Jeremiah pointed a calloused finger to an almost unnoticeable path. Benjamin started the car and followed it carefully; looking over at his navigator ever few moments for reassurance that he was heading the right way. He felt a little like he was being led to his death and tried to shake the uneasiness with light conversation. He realized he had nothing he was courageous enough to ask and too many things he wanted to remain hidden. The small talk ended after the normal observations on weather and an awkward apology for the time of his intrusion. They rode the rest of the way in silence, Benjamin all too aware of the closeness to Danny’s final resting place. 

After driving painfully slow for what seemed like eternity but was really only ten minutes, they arrived at their humble destination. Jeremiah had pieced together his home from bits and pieces of reclaimed trash found strewn about the desert landscape. It leaned precariously in the harsh wind, looking a bit like tumbleweed about to set off on its journey.

Jeremiah opened the front door, which was surprisingly sturdy, to reveal a cozy one room abode with a dirt floor. While the square footage was minimal, the humble home had all the comforts needed. Immediately to the right was a small kitchen and eating area that also served as an office and library. Several piles of books threatened to avalanche and bury a small table and four metal chairs. To the left was a meditation area with a thin rug, several large pillows and a few rolled up pads. Just behind that, against the back wall, were two thin mattresses sitting directly on the floor. Each was curtained off to give the sleeper an illusion of privacy. The furthermost mattress in the corner was semi hidden by a partially closed curtain and Benjamin could see Samantha’s tiny feet peeking out from beneath a worn out quilt. He was mesmerized by her delicate toes and wondered what about that small child made so many people want her.

Jeremiah followed Benjamin’s gaze to the bed in the corner. The conversation that needed to be had hung thick in the air freezing time and his tongue. Jeremiah wondered if his new house guest’s beliefs would stop him from hearing the truths he had to tell.

Jeremiah pointed to the mediation area. “You can sleep here tonight. I’ll get you a blanket.” He walked over to where Samantha slept and came back with a sheet and quilt.

“Why is she here?” Benjamin asked unable to look his host in the eye.

“She had no place to go. She’s so little.” Jeremiah walked to where Samantha lay and stare down at her little body.

Samantha stirred. “Daddy?” her little voice sounded so soft and vulnerable.

Jeremiah knelt down beside her and kissed her softly on her forehead. “Shhh. Go back to sleep. We have a guest you can meet him in the morning.”

Samantha obediently closed her eyes. Jeremiah patted her back then walked to where Benjamin stood. He leaned in close to Benjamin, with a calmness that was more intimidating than reassuring. “She doesn’t remember anything and that’s how it is going to stay.” Jeremiah whispered.

Benjamin opened his mouth to speak.

Jeremiah moved in front of him with great ease and was looking in his eyes. “You’ve had a long day Ben. You should rest.” Jeremiah said sternly.   



© 2011 JulieZee


Author's Note

JulieZee
Right now I am more concerned with plot than grammar. Let me know how you feel about the characters and how the story is progressing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The fifth character, second to last sentence should be broken up a bit more. I absolutely, now more than ever, love Jermemiah. I like how the story is progressing. If we could get just a little more back ground info on Jeremiah, that would be great. Please do continue!
.novelists.elite.info.
.display. Anita
.memberID. 043
.division. V
.division.leader. Vacant
.name. ----
.username. sodifferent
.novels.----
.status. New Member
.join date. 07-16-11

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

157 Views
1 Review
Added on July 26, 2011
Last Updated on July 31, 2011


Author

JulieZee
JulieZee

CA



About
I find the most interesting part about a person is the thoughts and feelings that go unsaid and unnoticed. So many people say they are straight forward and an open book. However, there are always thou.. more..

Writing
Nervous Nervous

A Poem by JulieZee