Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Katie Wan

Music blared through my headphones loudly. The dry valley was everywhere around the car. Cars passed us loudly and quickly. Horns were honked and fingers were flown. My father watched ahead with both hands on the wheel, “Some drivers they have in Utah.” Mother reached over to him and patted his leg. They looked at each other lovingly then their attention was back onto the road. I wish I would’ve driven with my brother, he asked and I declined. Instead I sat in the back of the van surrounded by my younger siblings. I sat between my two younger sisters Piper and Reese. Piper the older of the two was just one year younger than me. She had her bright red hair pulled back into a bun. She also listened to her music. She and I hardly ever got alone.

Reese had her curly red hair falling down past her shoulders. She played a handheld video game and kicked the seat in front of her which held my three other siblings. Blake was the next oldest after Piper. He housed large shoulders that wore only the newest fashions. His red hair was gelled back slightly. His blue eyes watched out the window with a seemingly excited attitude. He sat next to six year old Becca. Of all the girl siblings she and I got along the best. She made it known that she loved me very much and that would never change. My hand flicked the top of her red head and she laughed loudly. In the car seat on that row sat the youngest, so far, of our family Nicholas. His mouth held a bottle and he kicked furiously at the seat protesting the long drive. My older brother Bridger was driving behind us. He wasn’t happy with the move at all, so he decided he would drive his own car up. I have two older siblings Daniel and Elizabeth. Both of them had moved to Utah years before. That was one of the biggest arguments given when we were discussing moving.

We were coming from Reno our true home. My father had gotten a wonderful teaching and coaching job in Salt Lake City. “It will be a wonderful change for our family.” My parents told us months ago as we prepared to move. The move wasn’t exactly a bad thing. Reno was my home and I’d grown up there my whole life. Moving to Salt Lake would surely give me a fresh new start. People didn’t know my background, they didn’t know my parents, and everything would just be new. On the other hand no one knew me and no one knew my background. I would have to start over in high school my junior year. I guess it wasn’t as bad as Bridger; he really left his whole life behind. Back home he was the captain of the football and basketball team. He had a fabulous girlfriend that the whole family loved. His grades never dropped below A’s. He was next in line to be my father’s golden child.

My father’s true love was Football. Every year he would coach the high school football team with Bridger as his main man. Daniel was the first to be the golden child, and he will always be the favorite. He was my dad’s first son and he showed him the greatest time of his life. My sister Elizabeth was also a straight A student. In high school she decided that she would want to play basketball. My father decided to try coaching girl’s basketball, they clicked right away. Elizabeth was drafted by Utah State in Logan Utah. That’s where she met her husband Derek and they were married soon after. Daniel was also picked up by Utah State for football. He didn’t play long after a bad shoulder injury. He’s now engaged to a woman named Samantha. They live in Salt Lake themselves.

As for me, I have no desire to play football or basketball. In fact I have no love for sports at all. My father has noticed and has since pushed me harder to join. In Reno I was the fourth string kicker for the varsity football team. I never played a game the whole season. This time was going to be different, I hated sports. My place was performing in front of people. When we were young my mother decided to put my brothers and me along with my sisters in their ballet classes. Ballet was supposed to help athletes become more balanced and flexible. My father went along with it for about three years until Bridger got beaten up at school. My father pulled us out of them, secretly after school I’ve been going to ballet and gymnastic classes. Every Wednesday I would be “tutoring” under privileged kids while I went to voice lessons. On Fridays instead of “Study Group” I would be at Dance class. Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday morning instead of going in early to work out at the gym I would be in my ballet class. It was hard to say if they ever suspected anything, but if I was going to keep it a secret I would have to figure out my schedule and fast. There was only one person who knew, Bridger. Whenever my parents would ask about my whereabouts he would cover for me.

Finally we pulled off the interstate and started our journey to our new home.



© 2010 Katie Wan


Author's Note

Katie Wan
<3

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

NO WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!!!!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is so detail!
I love the way you descibe everything in details,
so, as a reader, I know everyhting clearly,
great job!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

485 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 13, 2010
Last Updated on April 13, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan