Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

A Chapter by Katie Wan
"

Russ tries to adapt to his life without Bridger.

"

Piper stared at me as I drove her to school. “You aren’t really, are you?” I nodded my head and looked down at her. Her red hair was lying straight to her shoulders. Diagonal bangs cut across her forehead. “I guess that’s alright.” She whispered softly and looked out the window.

“I’m sorry you had to see all of that last night.” I turned onto the school’s street.

She smiled, “I’ve seen worse. I’ve known dad almost as long as you have.” This was the first time Piper and I actually shared kind words with each other. Usually she and I would be trying to tear the other one down. It was nice being able to talk to her. “Did you see Blake’s face though?”

We both laughed loudly as I pulled into the parking lot. I drove Piper today because our dad had football practice. When I came out I quit the football team, not officially, but in my mind I did. I basically knew that my father would kick me off within 24 hours anyways.

Piper jumped out of the car and bounced all the way to a group of her friend. The car beeped as I set the alarm and I started walking forward. “Nice ride,” Parker’s feet slapped against the cement next to me. “Where’d you get that fine automobile?” His shoulder rubbed up against mine. A dark leather jacket covered his strong shoulder. Tight straight leg jeans were almost suctioned to each muscle in his legs. I looked up into the reflection of his aviator glasses. I wish I could look as cool and as suave as he did.

“I came out to my parents.” I ducked my head lower and watched where I was going.

He was quiet for a moment then bursted, “You came out to your parents and they gave you a car? We must’ve underestimated them all along.” He put his hand around my shoulder and squeezed me tight.

I shook my head. “I told them after Bridger spilled the beans about his girlfriend.”

“What’s wrong with his girlfriend?” Parkers arm slid off of my shoulder and moved back to his side. He and I walked a slow pace. We tried to make our conversation last longer.

“She’s pregnant, with twins.” I exaggerated the twin’s part a little too much. Parker looked at me out of the corner of his eyes. He smiled and patted my shoulder.

“It’s good he left then. He needs to be with her.” I nodded and walked quietly for a moment. “They know now.”

“What’d they do?”

I shrugged, “My dad sent me to my room. That was the last I heard about it from anyone. I guess it wasn’t so bad.”

We finally reached the quad and hit the cement to the front door. “I’m glad you told them Russ. That took a lot of courage.” Again his arm wrapped around my shoulder. “I’m a proud mama.” I shoved my hands into his rib cage and pushed him away. We both laughed and he returned to my side. “All kidding aside, it’s great you did that.”

My shoulder rubbed up against his lightly, “so what now?” The words were quiet as we walked up the steps.

The large doors were coming up and our conversation would soon have to end. Behind me the bell rang loudly. Parker stopped us and looked at me. My foot rested on one step above us. “Now, you hold my hand and I’ll walk you to class.”

I smiled and grabbed his open palm. His fingers interlaced with mine like they would in secret. His open hand pushed open the door and we walked in. There weren’t many people who stared. More people just looked and walked on with their lives. A couple people gasped and stared at us. Parker slid his glasses off and hung them off his coat pocket. His head stood tall. I was hoping mine looked the same.

This feeling was wonderful. Being able to hold the hand of your loved one was wonderful. People take that for granted every single day. The door to my class was open wide. The teacher stood behind her desk. She was reading a book on top of the light wood desk.

Parker put my face in between his hands. I listened as he pressed his lips into mine. There were a few gasps and I smiled between his lips. His thumb stroked the top of my cheek and he pushed away from me. His feet slapped against the hallway floor. I watched as he walked away with his head held high.

I walked into class. Every single eye was on me, including my teacher. Her lips were pursed together tightly. She stood awkwardly in front of the class for a few minutes before starting. This was going to be enjoyable.

 

At lunch I sat alone. I looked over at Bridger’s usual chair. He hadn’t called yet. My feet kicked at the chair underneath the table. A carrot snapped inside my mouth knocking me out of my daze. I shifted up in the chair and slumped over my food. I would miss him, that’s for sure.

My palm leaned against my chin and I looked down at the disgusting mush that they called food. “Hey,” I looked up to see Hayden looking at me. She was standing behind Bridger’s chair. “Want some company?”

“That’d be great,” I said and sat back. She happily plopped down in Bridger’s seat. She had brought a sack lunch from home, lucky girl. “Where’s Trent?” I asked starting the conversation.

She shrugged, “I don’t know. He’s been acting kind of strange lately. He’s been trying to hang with your boy and his friends.”

“Why would Trent want to hang around Parker?”

She smiled, “Why do you?”

I pushed my tray of food around with my fork. “I’m pretty sure it’s a completely different reason.” Hayden smiled and threw me a bag of chips from her bag.

Just as she was about to talk a boy walked over to us, “Hi Hayden.” His voice almost sounded frightened as he spoke.

She rolled her eyes and looked over at the boy, “What is it?” she flicked her hair behind her shoulder.

The young boy had caramel brown hair that stayed longer. He wore a red flannel shirt and tight jeans. “My band has a show this Friday. I was hoping maybe you’d go.”

“I’ve told you Malachi I don’t want to go to your shows. I know what you’re trying to do.”

I bit into one of my chips loudly. The boy, Malachi, looked over at me. Red tinted at his cheeks. He held a paper that had an address on it. “Where’s that show?” I asked. His face softened.

“It’s at a little club downtown.”

I nodded my head. “Give me one of those.” I stuck out my hand and put another chip in my mouth. He slid the top paper off the pile and handed it to me. “We’ll be there. Does that sound good?”

He nodded and walked off happily. “What was that all about?” I asked and folded the paper. The white square slid easily into my pocket.

“Malachi has been in love with me since eight grade or something. His band plays shows almost every weekend. They have since ninth grade. Every week he asks me to go.”

I laughed, “Why don’t you?”

“Not my type.” She started chewing on a celery stick. Peanut butter was spread in between the green walls.

My shoulders lifted slightly, “He seems nice enough. What’s he missing?”

“Smoothness,” she whispered and played out a wave motion with her hands. A loud snort bursted through my nose. I tried to hold in the laughter bubbling inside my chest. She glared down at me with her brown eyes.

“Have you even given him a chance?” I asked still trying to conceal the amusement I was having.

Her head shook, “I only date men in the STARs.”

My jaw dropped, “I thought you were shallow but I never guessed it was that bad.”

She gasped and put her hand on her chest. “Excuse me?”

Again the laughter poured from my mouth. “There’s a whole world outside of the STARs that you are missing.” My eyebrows lifted and another chip fell into my mouth. Her arms crossed and she continued to glare at me. “I tell you what.” I sat forward in my seat to make my statement more serious. “Friday night, you, me, and Parker are going to this concert. You’re going to give him a try.”

“And why am I going to do that?” she asked.

I smiled brightly, “because I said so.”



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

380 Views
Added on April 21, 2010
Last Updated on April 21, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan