Ch 6: A Dark Alliance

Ch 6: A Dark Alliance

A Chapter by KeithKVH
"

Grey's hover bus breaks down soon after departure, leading to an unexpected reunion in the city of Effretia. Back at Lorem Academy, things take a turn for the worse as Alastor and Malum attack.

"

            Sitting with his head leaning against the window of the hover bus as it drove down the road, back in his normal clothes that had been washed and repaired, Grey thought about what Marcyl had told him while seeing him off. He glanced over at the bag of souvenirs they’d given him, mostly stuff from Spark’s Sweets, and without even remembering where he’d heard it before, Grey found himself thinking, “Many people, many paths, they all lead back to me. We’re all connected.” Smiling to himself, Grey thought, “I’ll be back someday, and I’ll bring all my friends with me!” Suddenly the hover bus jolted and a loud whirring noise filled the air. The hover bus seemed to be going out of control, and Grey shouted at the driver, “What’s going on?!” Glancing back at him, the bus driver said, “The hover engine’s malfunctioning! Can’t shut it off at this speed! Brakes won’t work either! Hang on to something, I’m gonna try and steer us into some bushes to slow us down!” Grey held fast to the seat and his belongings as the hover bus sailed off the road and into a mound of shrubbery. Tearing through the bushes, the hover bus slowed and finally ground to a halt. 


Struggling out of the door with his belongings, once they were out of the hover bus, Grey and the driver looked at the damage. The front end was all banged up from breaking through the bushes, and there was smoke coming from underneath where the hover engine was. Sighing, the bus driver said, “It’s totaled. Gonna have to call the academy and have them send someone to get us.” The bus driver pulled out a cell phone and fiddled with it for a while. Finally he put it away with a worried look and said, “Ok, don’t panic but it looks like there’s no cell service. Guess the mountain’s blocking the signal from the cell beacon in Xandaris…” Standing with his bag over his shoulder, Grey said, “What do we do now then?” Looking further up the road, the bus driver said, “Still a long ways off before we’d reach Loralu on foot. We could take that path through the mountain to the north and head to Effretia, but that’s demonfolk territory. Effretia is particularly known for being a bad place to go for non-demonfolk, or even half demonfolk. The nobles there are all set in their ways…” Without a word, Grey stared off towards the mountain path, and the driver said, “You hear anything I said?” Waving a hand in the air, Grey said, “Just stick around here awhile, I’ll be back with some help.”


            Making it over the top of the mountain as the sun was setting, Grey could see the city of Effretia. Built in a frozen valley surrounded by mountains on all sides, it was near Gaia’s northern pole, which made it a perfect place for demonfolk habitation. From what Grey could see, the city buildings seemed made of ice. There were large mansions built outside the city on the sides of the mountains as well, and as he was passing one, Grey thought, “It took me longer than I thought to get over that mountain. The bus driver could still be waiting by the time it gets dark if I don’t hurry. Maybe someone in there can help me out.” Approaching the icy three story mansion, Grey felt certain it was not normal ice, and he could also see it was not the only material used to construct it, as the windows looked like normal glass. The ice was carved with grand designs, and as Grey stood there admiring the architecture, the front door opened. Grey turned to see a male demonfolk step out, his medium length hair colored dark green and his eyes violet. He wore an expensive looking gray coat over a white shirt and black tie, a pair of gray pants, and black dress shoes. On his head were thick, twisted horns, and from his back sprouted bat-like wings which seemed shrouded in glowing blue and purple mist. 


The demonfolk started to say, “Who is it? My mother is too elderly for visitors, and if you’re selling-” Suddenly stopping mid-sentence, the demonfolk squinted and said, “What are you doing here?” Thinking he was asking what a non-demonfolk was doing in Effretia, Grey quickly said, “I know you guys don’t like outsiders, but just hear me out! Our hover bus broke down, and we couldn’t get ahold of anybody on our cell phone. Is there any way I could get some help? Maybe you have a phone that can reach someone in Lorem Academy, or is there someone in Effretia who runs a repair shop?” Staring at him strangely, the demonfolk finally said, “Don’t you recognize me at all? I was the Captain of the Guard when you showed up in Daemonholm. Xanth Lazrath. You are Grey of the Infinite, aren’t you?” Greatly surprised, Grey exclaimed, “You know me?!”


            Taking a seat on a couch in the living room of the Lazrath Estate, the interior of the mansion completely different from what one would expect from the outside, the walls and ceiling made of wood, the wallpaper an elegant purple same as the carpet, as Grey was looking around at the black and gold antique demonfolk furniture, Xanth took a seat on the couch on the opposite side of the black and gold coffee table from Grey and said, “You’ve truly lost your memory?” Grey simply nodded, and Xanth said, “Gabriel must be searching for you, but I have no idea how to get in contact with him. One does not get much contact with the outside world at all while living here.” 


The door of the room opened and a butler brought in a tray bearing tea and biscuits, placing it on the table and pouring them each a cup of tea before exiting. Watching the butler leave, Grey said, “So, you said you’d send help to the bus driver?” Picking up his cup of tea, Xanth said, “Yes. I’ve already sent word to the resident handyman. If it isn’t repairable, he said he would drive him back to Lorem Academy in his hover carriage since I’ve already paid him in full.” Picking up his own cup of tea, Grey stared at his reflection in it while Xanth sipped from his own cup. Then, breaking the seemingly tense silence, Grey said, “We never… got along very well did we?” Without batting an eye, Xanth said, “No, we didn’t.”


            Sipping his tea as well, just as Grey was thinking he might ask why they had never gotten along, Xanth put his cup down as he said, “Though I suppose that’s really not your fault, or mine for that matter. It’s like Gabriel said that day, I was raised to look down on others who are different. The more I think about it, the more I feel grateful that I met Loki, even though the friendship we somehow forged is the reason my mother loathes me.” Taken aback, Grey earnestly said, “You’re her son though! She might be mad, but she couldn’t really hate you right?” With a cynical laugh, Xanth said, “After the Dark Crusade had finally been defeated, most of the blame for having sided with the Nameless One fell on my family because of the fact that my father had been one of their Revenants. It was a disgrace to the family name, and even though people eventually let go of it, my mother always impressed upon me that I must never do anything to dishonor our name again. Even though he was a member of the royal family and no one else questioned it, my friendship with Loki, a half demonfolk, was in her mind the biggest disgrace in our family’s history.” 


Xanth’s words triggering something in his mind, Grey repeated, “The Dark Crusade…” Watching Grey become lost in his thoughts, Xanth said, “You really don’t remember after all, do you? The Dark Crusade was a powerful organization that was headed by two humans under the control of the Nameless One, Alexander and Alastor Bastille. During the worldwide war they waged, Alexander Bastille betrayed them, and became Gabriel the Immortal of Angelorum Lux. Alastor was defeated and sealed away, but now he has broken free and started a new organization called Altera Veritas. You’d do well to remember quickly. You are the one who must stand against him.”


            Thursday July 19, 520NA. Standing on a small hill with Malum in the fields surrounding Lorem Academy, Alastor stared across the grassy plains at the academy and the city around it. It was early morning, and the sun had yet to rise. Concentrating, using his senses to gauge the power of the residents, at last Alastor muttered, “There are quite a few residents with the ability to use magic or EDE, but they’re all far too weak to pose a challenge. Are you certain this is where it is? I sense absolutely no sign of it.” Simply nodding, Malum said, “They’ve used some form of cloaking field to hide its presence. I haven’t found the entrance to the underground complex where they’re keeping it yet, but I’m sure we can convince the academy’s Headmistress show us to it. The codes I gave you will deactivate all of its defenses.” Raising a hand, Alastor said, “Very well. Let’s begin.” 


Appearing across the plains, hundreds of dark vortexes appeared, and crawling from them appeared Altera Veritas’ humanoid anomalies. Watching the summoning with interest, Malum said, “It’s quite a handy trick, creating and enslaving anomalies like that. They made for an easy source of recruits for the Dark Crusade, though I don’t really prefer them over the Nameless One’s monstrosities.” Raising his hand in the air now, Malum channeled Corrupted EDE into it and shot it into the air. Dark clouds gathered across the skies, and fluttering within them on black feathered wings were a legion of the Nameless One’s monstrosities. Lowering his hand, Malum let out an evil laugh and said, “Let them awaken to everlasting darkness…”


            Having fallen asleep leaning on her desk, Elizabeth awoke with a start as she sensed strange fluctuations of EDE. Swiveling her chair to see the dark clouds rolling over the skies, her blood ran cold as she thought, “They’re here!” Getting out of her chair, Elizabeth rushed to an old portrait that hung on the left wall above a chest of drawers. Standing before it, she said, “Defense activation command, Elizabeth Wormwood.” The picture within the frame split in two and the halves slid aside, and sliding out to take the picture’s place appeared a hand switch. Reaching up, Elizabeth took hold of the handle and pulled the switch down. The entire city began to quake, and moving to stare out the window again, Elizabeth watched as a massive, multicolored energy shell formed around Lorem Academy City. Then turning away from the window, she made her way out of her office as she muttered, “It will buy us time at best…” 


Exiting the main building, Elizabeth drew a short wand from her pocket, and then gathering a mass of EDE in her other hand, she crystallized it into a long staff. Staring out at the anomalies amassed before the energy shell, beating away at it with their bladed arms, Elizabeth thought, “Sending such a force to attack unsuspecting innocents while they sleep… It’s nothing short of cowardly!” Raising her wand to her mouth, she muttered, “Vox Amplificare.” Then she said in a voice that carried through the city, “This is Headmistress Elizabeth Wormwood! Everyone please wake up, our home is under attack! A barrier has been raised and a distress signal has already been sent to Xandaris, but should the barrier fall, we all must be awake and alert so that we can defend ourselves! All members of the city guard are to be on the front lines! I want all teachers and students to follow emergency procedures and gather at the academy athletics field! Parents and other residents report to the city guard to be assigned districts to defend should you choose to fight! Those who do not fight, please accompany your children to the field! Above all, do not panic! Remaining calm is the only way we will get through this…”


            As Elizabeth finished her announcement, Marcyl, Pyro, and Johnny rushed up to her, and Johnny quickly exclaimed, “What the hell’s going on?!” Turning to them, Elizabeth said, “You all sure got here quickly…” With a sour look, Johnny said, “Hey!” Looking out at the anomalies beyond the barrier, Pyro said, “I sensed those things and woke these two up. We were already on the way before your announcement.” Heaving a sigh, Johnny muttered, “You all just ignored my question!” Marcyl was staring as well, but not at the anomalies. With a look of awe, Marcyl exclaimed, “Wow, I didn’t know the city had a barrier! It’s so cool, it’s like some kind of rainbow with all those colors!” Laughing in spite of the situation, Elizabeth said, “Yes, well… As cool as it may be, I’m not sure how long it will last.” Starting to panic, Johnny exclaimed, “What?!” Pointing at the anomalies outside the barrier, he continued, “Just what are we gonna do against all THAT?! It’s all over if they get in here!” 


While everyone else looked worried, Marcyl simply smiled and said, “It’ll be fine. They’re the bad guys Grey is fighting, so I’m sure he’ll come back and save us!” Not feeling quite as optimistic, Pyro merely said, “Marcyl…” With a humoring smile, Elizabeth said, “Who knows, maybe he will.” Crossing his arms, Johnny muttered, “Well, he’d better hurry up!” Marcyl closed her eyes and thought about when she had seen Grey off. She hadn’t told him about the woman at the church, but he had noticed she seemed troubled by something. She had asked him, “Grey, what if something bad happens like before and you’re not here?” Grey had simply grinned as he replied, “Don’t worry, anything happens and I’ll come running back!” Suddenly she heard Johnny shout, “Holy s**t, what’s that?!” Opening her eyes, Marcyl saw in the distance beyond the barrier a massive sphere of dark energy. Then as though someone threw it, the sphere sailed through the air and struck the barrier, exploding in a loud and powerful blast. Cracks raced through the barrier, and it quickly shattered, its fragments dissolving into the air as they fell.


            Standing on the hill outside Lorem Academy city, Alastor watched the barrier fall against the might of his Nemesis Star. Opening a dark vortex, he turned to Malum and said, “I’ll leave you in command of our forces here. Now that the barrier is down, I think I’ll pay their leader a visit…” Stepping through the dark vortex, as he passed through the darkness Alastor came out in the academy plaza, directly in front of Elizabeth and the others. Quickly Elizabeth moved herself between him and her students, and leveling her wand at him, she demanded, “Who are you?!” Staring at her with his empty gaze, Alastor said, “Alastor Bastille, the leader of Altera Veritas.” Johnny turned pale and said, “It’s him! The guy we heard about in history class! What do we do?!” A bead of sweat rolling down her face, Pyro said, “Don’t ask me!” Suddenly, Elizabeth chanted, “Vel Augue!” Shooting from the tip of her wand, a ball of fire sailed at Alastor and exploded. As the dust cleared, Alastor stood unharmed, protected by his air pressure barrier. Gritting her teeth, Elizabeth charged at him and swung with her staff. Striking the pressure barrier again and again as she launched a flurry of attacks, Elizabeth finally stepped back as she realized it was pointless. Watching her with seemingly no interest as she stood there panting, Alastor said, “If you’re quite done, I believe you should know why I’m here. Where are you hiding Vas Initio?”


            Suddenly striking Alastor’s pressure barrier, an electrified yoyo on a string that seemed to be made of lightning ground against the barrier as it spun, and holding the other end of the lightning string, Johnny shouted, “I don’t care if you are Alastor, no one messes with our Headmistress while Johnny Spark is around!” Rushing to Johnny’s side, Pyro raised both hands and snapped her fingers, unleashing twin bolts of fire at Alastor. His barrier under fire, Alastor merely glanced over at them and muttered, “Pitiful.” Then as Alastor raised a hand at them, Elizabeth shouted, “NO! RUN!” Johnny and Pyro leaped aside as a sphere of Corrupted EDE shot from Alastor’s hand and exploded where they had stood. Aiming a hand at Johnny as he struggled up, Alastor said, “I wasn’t aiming properly that time Headmistress. However, if you still insist on denying me my prize, I can always make an effort to improve my accuracy…” Hanging her head in defeat, Elizabeth said, “No, stop! Don’t hurt them. I’ll show you where it is…” Lowering his hand, Alastor said, “Wise decision.” Watching Elizabeth and Alastor as they walked past her towards the main school building, as Alastor’s empty eyes passed over her, Marcyl shivered and thought, “Grey… help…”



© 2014 KeithKVH


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

304 Views
Added on October 28, 2014
Last Updated on October 28, 2014
Tags: Volume 3, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Adventure, Original

Legend of Mautau: A Dream Reborn


Author

KeithKVH
KeithKVH

Pasadena, CA



About
I've been writing a novel series as a hobby for several years. I hope to write other stories, but for now just hoping to continue improving this one. **Just a note to keep in mind, everything here .. more..

Writing