Ch 21: Wings of Shiema

Ch 21: Wings of Shiema

A Chapter by KeithKVH
"

At Mutzy's run down home, Andy reveals the secret behind Mana's situation. Meanwhile, Mana is forcibly returned home, only to be told by her half sister that their mother is unwell.

"

            As they all stepped inside Mutzy’s house, Gibolu took a look around. Seeing the peeling wallpaper, the debris upon the floor, damage to the walls in various places, he thought, “It’s just as bad as the outside…” Making his way into the living room where a table sat in the middle of the room and a fire was crackling in the fireplace, Andy grabbed one of the chairs laying strewn about the room and moved it over to the table. Following suit, the others grabbed chairs from the ground and moved them to the table. Realizing there were only four, Gibolu motioned for Mutzy to sit as he said, “Guest or not, I wouldn’t want to inconvenience Mutzy. He can have my seat.” Yet Mutzy simply crouched next to the fireplace and said, “I don’t really like chairs, you know?” Taking his seat at the table, Gibolu said, “I see…” 


Leaning on the table with her arms, Mythra looked at Andy expectantly and said, “Alright, where were we?” Shifting in his seat, trying to get comfortable despite his puffy tail, Andy said, “As they say, all good things come to those who wait milady. Now, you remember the artifact I mentioned was enshrined on the mountain? The one that was used to create this island and now serves to purify the water and bring us good fortune?” Nodding, his history lesson at the pond still fresh in her mind, Mythra said, “Yes.” With a serious look on his face, Andy continued, “Well, what I told you is mostly a façade used to pacify the public. Queen Shiema did use the power of the artifact to create the paradise we sprites now call home, but it came with a price. The monster’s spirit trapped within the artifact cast an incredibly powerful curse upon the island. When Shiema realized this, she had it sealed somewhere on the Mountain of Faith, but it was not enough. In order to fully stop the curse, Shiema imbued a seed from a cherry blossom tree with a great amount of her own exceptional magical power. That is where Urnlotum, the great cherry blossom tree that the Blossom Palace is built upon, came from. The power of Urnlotum is what turns the curse into a blessing. These truths were kept hidden because it was feared that all the sprites would flee the island if they knew of the curse.”


            Drumming her fingers on the table as she thought about Andy’s story, Mythra said, “Now I have even more questions. Just how does this tie in with Mana though? What’s this about the Wings of Shiema?” Getting up suddenly, Mutzy rushed over to a chest of drawers that was already open and rummaged through the mess inside it briefly, withdrawing a thin book. Moving over to the table, his tail wagging all the way, he placed the book before them and said, “Here, look here.” Picking up the book, Mythra said, “Wings of… you gotta be kidding me…” Somewhat shocked, Andy said, “You can read our language Lady Mythra?!” Feeling a sense of pride, Mythra replied, “I found the sprite language rather easy to learn, unlike elven…” Greatly impressed, Gibolu was beaming as he said, “So worldly! Just what I’d expect from the Spellweaver!” 


As Gibolu continued to stare in admiration, Bella tilted her head in confusion and said, “Worldly? The cover looks like a child’s picture book…” As Mythra opened the book to look at it, Andy nodded at Bella and said, “Good eye, my fair Bella! That’s exactly what it is, a popular children’s story about a descendant of Shiema who has inherited the same exceptional magical power as Shiema herself. As a symbol of her power, she bears the very same wings as Shiema herself.” Looking through the storybook, Mythra said, “Mana’s wings don’t look anything like this though. Her wings are pink and smaller, they always kinda reminded me of…” With a look of realization, Mythra said, “Cherry blossom petals…” 


Mythra continued reading the storybook, and finishing quickly, she put the storybook down and said, “I’m guessing the bulk of it is a bunch of baloney huh?” As Gibolu snatched the storybook and started to look through it with glee, Andy said, “Mostly, yes. It’s only based on a legend the public knows little about. The exact details about the legend refer to the curse and have been kept secret within the restricted library of the Blossom Palace. The only thing I know about it is that the legend states that when the magical power of Urnlotum begins to wane, one with the Wings of Sheima will become a chosen hero to protect our people from destruction.” 


Narrowing her eyes as she stared at Andy, Mythra said, “For you to even know that much, you can’t be just another face in the crowd. At first it seemed like you were Mana’s childhood friend, but you’re really nothing but an agent of the Queen keeping tabs on her, aren’t you? And don’t you dare give me that ‘knight of chivalry’ crap!” Rising from his chair with a heated expression, Andy met Mythra’s gaze and said, “I am a member of the Watchers, an undercover unit of the Sentinels, but above all else, I am a knight of chivalry and an eternal friend to Mana Blossomheart!”


            Having been brought to a wooden carriage pulled by a pair of deer pixies shortly after being separated from the others, it was not long before Mana had been taken from Fairy Hollow back to her hometown, Verdend. Often referred to as a farming village, the village was a major food source for the sprites of the Fairy Hollow. As the carriage made its way up the road towards the actual village where the sprites that tended to the various farms lived, Mana took to staring out the window of the carriage at the familiar sights, rows and rows of apple trees bearing ripe fruits, lush vineyards, wheat fields, corn fields, the list went on. Finally reaching the village, the carriage passed through it and continued up a hill to where Mana’s home stood vigil over the village below. 


As the carriage came to a stop outside the wooden fence of the lush garden surrounding the Blossomheart family estate, which was a large wooden building constructed around a towering tree that grew atop the hill, Gunther opened the door of the carriage and said, “Time to get out. Let’s not keep your family waiting.” Getting out, Mana said, “Do you have any idea how embarrassing that was?! Why’d you have to drag me off like that?! I intended to come home and visit in the first place!” Checking his watch, Gunther said, “No time, I have a schedule to keep. However, I will say that you’ll be doing more than visiting. You’ll be staying.” Hoping she had misheard, Mana said, “Wait, what?!” Moving to board the carriage once more, Gunther said, “I don’t think I need to repeat myself. I’ll be posting guards, so don’t waste time trying to run off again.”


            As the carriage rode off, two dog sprite guards were left behind to escort Mana inside and keep watch. Ushering her through the gate leading into the garden, one of the guards said, “Sorry miss, orders are orders.” As she entered the garden, the guards closed the gate behind her and took their posts on either side of the gate. Heaving a sigh, Mana thought, “What do I do now? I can’t just fly away, my weak little wings wouldn’t get me very far... I’ll just have to wait for the ringmaster and the others…” Taking a look around the garden as she made her way to the front door of her old home, Mana stopped as she saw a familiar face out tending the garden. A female fairy sprite with beautiful, multicolored butterfly-like wings and short, stylish white hair with streaks of different colors dyed into the bangs was watering a patch of flowers with a watering can just a short ways away. She wore a sleeveless one piece outfit that was also a variety of different colors, and a pair of rainbow colored heeled boots. A red purse hung at her side, suspended by the strap over her shoulder. 


Suddenly becoming aware of Mana’s presence, the fairy sprite looked up from the flowers to gaze at her with her dark cobalt eyes. Seeing Mana, she dropped the watering can and gasped, “Sis?!” Smiling nervously, Mana said, “Hi Jubilee…” Walking over to Mana with a stern expression, Jubilee slapped her across the face before she realized what was happening. Then just as quickly, Jubilee pulled her into a hug and shouted, “Idiot! Running off without saying anything! I told you so many times, it doesn’t matter what they say! Even if you’re my half sister, even if you’re a half sprite, we’re still sisters!” Hugging her sister back as she started sobbing, Mana felt herself tear up as well as she said, “I’m sorry… Even though I had such a loving family, I just… I just felt like I didn’t belong here…”


            As Jubilee released her, Mana asked, “So since you’re watering, I guess Mom’s out on business today?” Suddenly looking troubled, after a moment Jubilee said, “Mom… Mom isn’t feeling well…” At these words, Mana felt her heart stop. She started to say, “What do you-” Suddenly the door of the house opened, and standing in the doorway was their mother, Maribell Blossomheart. She had pink and blue hair, dark cobalt eyes, and beautiful light blue butterfly-like wings. Dressed in an elegant leaf-green dress, she seemed to be using a broom like a cane as she slowly stepped out of the house. Seeing her coming out, Jubilee stood quickly and shouted, “Mom?! Why are you out of bed?!” Looking over at her with a weak smile, Maribell started to say, “I’m feeling much-” Noticing Mana, her mouth hung open a moment, then Maribell whispered, “Mana?!” 


Maribell moved to rush over to her, but stumbled and fell to the ground. Both Mana and Jubilee rushed over to her, and Mana frantically shouted, “Mom?! What’s wrong?!” Breathing heavily, her eyes clenched shut in pain, Maribell choked, “I’m sorry Mana… I’m so sorry…” Turning to Jubilee, Mana exclaimed, “What’s happened to her, what’s going on?!” Looking away from her, Jubilee said, “We don’t know. She just collapsed yesterday, and none of the healers who’ve looked at her can tell what’s wrong. She just keeps getting worse…” Staring at her mother’s pained face in horror, Mana whispered, “No…!”


            As the sun was beginning to set, Mythra and the others trudged up the hill towards Mana’s house, led by Andy and Mutzy. As the gate came into view, Mythra saw the two guards and muttered, “Looks like they’re keeping her under lock and key alright.” Continuing on, Andy said, “As long as I am present, there should be no problem getting in.” Approaching the gate, Andy called out to the guards, saying, “We’re here to pay a visit to our friend, Lady Mana. Might we have permission to enter?” Leaning against the fence leisurely, one of the guards glanced at him and said, “Yeah, go ahead.” As the other guard opened the gate, everyone filed in. Taking quick a look at the garden as they all made their way to the house, Gibolu exclaimed, “My, what a wondrous place! Mana’s mother must have a green thumb, as the saying goes.” Glancing at Mutzy, Andy sternly said, “Remember Mutzy, no digging holes while we’re here! Lady Maribell was not pleased by what you did last time…” With a clueless look on his face, Mutzy said, “What’s the big deal? Dirt is fun, you know?” 


Stepping up to the front door, Andy knocked and waited. Jubilee answered the door shortly, and seeing Andy, she simply said, “This isn’t a good time Andy…” Surprised by the troubled look on her face, Andy said, “Is something the matter milady? I thought you’d be overjoyed by Mana’s return.” Now it was Jubilee who was surprised, and then noticing Mythra and the others, she said, “How’d you know about that, and who are these people?” With a brief wave, Bella simply said, “I’m Bella.” Bowing in respect, Gibolu said, “Greetings and salutations.” Seeing Jubilee’s apparent confusion, Andy said, “I’m surprised she hasn’t told you everything already.” Then as she showed the same troubled look as before, he added, “Jubilee, please tell us if something has happened to Lady Mana.” Shaking her head, Jubilee said, “It’s not Mana. Mom fell ill yesterday, and it’s only getting worse.” Hearing this, Mythra quickly said, “Let me examine her. Now.”


            Sitting by her mother’s bedside, Mana fought back tears as she thought, “Six years! Six years I could have been with her! What if I never get to talk with her again?! What if I never get to tell her how much I love her?! This… This isn’t fair!” Then as the door to the room burst open, Mythra stepped in and said, “Out.” Staring in surprise, Mana said, “Mythra?!” Moving over to stand at Maribell’s bedside, Mythra said, “I need space to work here, leave her to me for now.” Getting out of her chair, Mana said, “Can you help her?!” Looking Maribell over briefly, Mythra said, “It depends. I’m an expert, don’t get me wrong. Still, I won’t make any promises until I at least come up with a diagnosis. Now hurry up and go.” 


Hesitantly, Mana exited the room. Pulling the sheets off of Maribell and doing a noninvasive checkup, Mythra thought to herself, “It’s just a hunch, but this could very well be the curse. A death curse manifests itself in a way similar to an illness in order to avoid detection. I also noticed some of the crops on the way here looked to be in poor health. It’s supposed to be a powerful curse, which means of course it could affect plant life as well. We might have time before it gets bad though, since no one else is showing symptoms yet. Urnlotum is still fighting against it with the power it has left. It’s likely only affecting living creatures or plants that are more sensitive to this type of magic.” Raising a hand, as a black rune circle formed before her, Mythra thought, “Death curses are usually darkness based. Still, even if I do find out it’s the curse, I have no idea how to deal with it except to destroy the source. We can’t throw everything on Mana, who doesn’t even realize her ability yet. Doing the same thing as Shiema did won’t be a final solution either. It all comes down to whether we can destroy the artifact, but if Shiema herself couldn’t do it, how do we?” Suddenly, Maribell weakly muttered in her sleep, “Mana… Beware… Loth’nex…”


            Walking down the stairs, as Mana reached the entry hall on the first floor, she heard voices coming from the dining room. Making her way down the entry hall and past the living room, she entered to find everyone but Jubilee sitting at the long stained wood dining table. Mutzy technically was not sitting in a chair, but rather crouching next to the table. As Gibolu saw her enter, he rose from his chair and exclaimed, “Mana!” Struggling to smile, Mana said, “Sorry if I worried you ringmaster. It was kind of scary being dragged off so suddenly, but I’m ok…” Able to tell she was clearly not ok, Gibolu said, “Mana, I’m so sorry… Don’t give up hope. Mythra is an extraordinary healer, you’ve seen her in action yourself back when Scott was injured. If anyone can help your mother, she can.” Starting to tear up, Mana said, “But what if… After running away from home and making her worry for six years, what if I never get to talk to her again?!” 


Seeing the tears staring to pour forth from her eyes, with a sad expression, Andy said, “Milady…” As Mana tried to wipe the tears away, she said, “I’d never be able to tell her I love her, or that I’m sorry!” Quickly walking over to Mana and hugging her, Gibolu said, “The happiness of their child is all a parent hopes for. As long as you were happy during those six years, I’m sure she’d be happy as well. There is still a chance you’ll be able to speak with her again, but keep those feelings in your heart, and I’m sure they will reach her without the need to say a word. Your hearts are connected after all, just as Toshley told us.” Trying her hardest to encourage Mana as well, Bella said, “If you keep hope, she might too. If she has hope, she’ll keep fighting.” As Gibolu released her, Mana looked over at Bella and said, “Did Toshley say it worked like that too?” Blushing slighty, having come up with it all on the spur of the moment, Bella simply looked away and said, “It’s worth a try.” Wagging his tail merrily, Mutzy said, “I’ll try too then. More the better, you know?” A big grin on his face, Andy said, “Well said Mutzy! Let us all try our best!” Looking around at them all with a genuine smile, Mana snuffled and said, “Thank you everyone, really…” Having been listening to them from just inside the door of the kitchen, Jubilee smiled to herself.


            Shortly after Jubilee brought in some snacks, Mythra stepped into the dining room. Immediately rising from her chair, Mana asked, “How is she?” Looking as though something was bothering her, Mythra said, “I’ve figured out what’s causing it.” Unable to bear the suspense, Jubilee said, “And?” Pulling herself from her thoughts, Mythra said, “It’s clearly a death curse, a type of spell that clings to a person or place and makes that person or the people living in that area die. Death curses cannot kill immediately, and therefore they often portray symptoms similar to various diseases in order to avoid detection. Since it’s been close to twenty four hours since she collapsed, I estimate she has another full two days left at most.” 


Shocked, Jubilee said, “But who would do such a thing?!” As Mythra shot him a glance, Andy quickly realized what was going on. Her concern growing, Mana said, “Can’t you remove the curse Mythra?” Definitively, Mythra said, “There’s only one way to stop it. We have to destroy the source.” Looking over at Andy again, Mythra said, “Also, I don’t suppose anyone knows who or what Loth’nex is? It sounds familiar to me for some reason, but I can’t place it.” Greatly surprised, Jubilee said, “Really? That name isn’t very well known even among sprites. I know it from a very old story about the first Fairy Queen, Shiema, and I can’t imagine where an outsider would hear of it these days.” Crossing her arms with an impatient look, Mythra said, “If I could remember I’d tell you. Care to refresh my memory?”



© 2014 KeithKVH


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
Added on October 29, 2014
Last Updated on October 29, 2014
Tags: Volume 3, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Adventure, Original

Legend of Mautau: A Dream Reborn


Author

KeithKVH
KeithKVH

Pasadena, CA



About
I've been writing a novel series as a hobby for several years. I hope to write other stories, but for now just hoping to continue improving this one. **Just a note to keep in mind, everything here .. more..

Writing