Ch 19: Official Business

Ch 19: Official Business

A Chapter by KeithKVH
"

The sprite team sets out through the Dreamer's Woods in search of the Fairy Hollow, Bella chopping vines all the way. Their search is interrupted as they are suddenly confronted by a dog sprite.

"

            Dreamer’s Woods. Friday July 20, 520NA. With Bella at the front lines, the team composed of Mythra, Mana, Gibolu, and Bella cut their way through the opposing plant life of the forest. Slashing away at a barrier of vines blocking their way with her spear, already covered in sweat and plant trimmings, Bella disdainfully grumbled, “Yardwork from hell…” In an apologetic tone, Mana said, “Sorry, but we can’t just go in a straight line or we could fall into a trap. This is one of the older routes, and it’s the only one I can remember. It leads to a kind of back door into the Fairy Hollow. The main entrance would be all the way on the other side of the Mountain of Faith, so we’re saving a lot of time going this way.” Walking beside her, Gibolu said, “We’ll get there when we get there. I for one find this forest quite amazing!” Trailing behind the two, Mythra muttered, “I’m beginning to think you say that about everything.” Glancing back at her, Gibolu grinned and said, “Just look around! So many wondrous discoveries to be made! This is a forest that nary but sprites dare venture through, filled with plants and animals rarely seen or heard of in our society! Doesn’t that excite you at all?” Swatting at a bug, Mythra said, “Gimme a can of bug spray and I’ll be as excited as you want…” 


Breaking down even more vines, Bella said, “Excuse me Ms. Tourist, but can’t you help with magic?” The thought having crossed her mind, Mythra replied, “I could, but then I could easily set off a magic based trap or alarm. Not to mention the fact that even a weak little wind blade would go slicing through the forest for a good ways before dissipating, and while they have a place like the Fairy Hollow to live in, some sprites prefer living as one with nature. I could easily hurt one who was just wandering the forest minding its own business.” Sighing, Bella hung her shoulders in defeat and said, “Sadness…” Satisfied there were no further objections to her methods, Mythra raised a hand and pointed onward as she said, “C’mon, time to earn your keep! Less talk and more chop!” Grumbling as she finished hacking away at the vines, Bella suddenly noticed something up in the trees. Hunched down on all fours, a figure upon a thick tree branch a short ways ahead was staring down at them. Just as Bella was about to say something about the figure, it leaped from the tree branch to land on the ground just ahead of them and charged at her.


            Bella raised her spear to block as the figure struck out with clawed hands. Struggling against its strength, Bella took a better look at her opponent. With a long mane of black and purple striped hair and a pair of ears and a tail both with the same colors, the male dog sprite stared back at Bella with his violet eyes and said, “You shouldn’t be here, you know?” He wore no shoes or shirt, just ripped gray pants, a ragged gray and purple cloth sash, and gray and purple cloth arm wraps. Strapped across his bare chest was a purple leather harness, and hanging around his neck was a necklace of animal fangs. Pulling out the letter with Serius’ ring print stamped on it, Mythra stepped forward and said, “Hey, dog sprite! We’re here on official business! So chill out and take us to your leader!” Grasping hold of Bella’s spear, with great strength the dog sprite pulled Bella off her feet and whirled her around, flinging her into the side of a tree. Waving the letter in the air to get his attention, Mythra shouted, “Are you deaf?!” 


As the dog sprite turned to face Mythra, Mana finally got a good view of him. Recognizing him, as the dog sprite was just about to charge Mythra, Mana called out, “Mutzy, wait! It’s me!” Perking his ears up, Mutzy said, “Huh? That’s kinda weird, outsiders knowing my name like that.” Then he readied his claws as he said, “Guess I’m just that famous a guard dog, huh?” With an exasperated look, Mythra muttered, “Who is this freak?!” Suddenly bursting from some nearby bushes, another unknown person flew into view and sent Mutzy sailing into the foliage with a flying kick. Landing gracefully, a young and handsome human looking man with silver eyes and short silver hair that turned gold at the ends gestured dramatically and said in a voice worthy of a movie star, “Welcome, fair travelers!” Wearing white and gold clothes that looked fit for a prince, as Mythra saw him her jaw dropped and she thought, “Wait, what?! Where the hell did he come from?! Is this on candid camera?!”


            Seeing the princely figure before them, Mana smiled and said, “Andy!” Blinking surprise, as Andy looked over at her, he exclaimed, “Can it be?! Our lovely cherry blossom has returned?!” Slowly turning her head to look at Mana, Mythra said, “You know this fairytale character?!” Nodding, Mana said, “Yeah, he’s Andy. Some of us also refer to him as ‘Dandy Andy’ because that’s his favorite form.” Raising an eyebrow questioningly, Gibolu asked, “Form you say?” Pointing in Andy’s direction, Mana replied, “Yeah, he’s a cloud sprite. They’re shapeshifters, though Andy never does get his appearance quite right. Take a closer look.” Looking closely, after a moment Mythra saw what she meant. Extending from behind Andy was a puffy, cloud-like tail. Quickly trying to hide his tail, Andy said, “Milady! Must you spoil the surprise?!” As Bella struggled up with a groan, Andy noticed her and approached her as he said, “And who might you be, fair maiden?” Looking around for a ‘fair maiden’, as she realized he meant her, Bella uttered, “Eh?” With a surprised look, Andy said, “That’s a rather unusual name, not that it isn’t lovely…” 


Just as Bella looked like she was considering clobbering him, Mutzy burst from the bushes with a growl and said, “That hurt just now, you know?” Sighing, Andy said, “Mutzy, do you need to get your hair cut so you can see better? Or did you honestly attack such a beautiful maiden on purpose?” Pushing the hair out from in front of his eyes, Mutzy said, “I know that voice. You come to visit again Andy? I’m kinda busy.” Slightly irritated, Andy replied, “Here I was merely jesting! You should be ashamed! Not only were you assaulting a woman, but you’ve sullied the return of our young Mana with your misguided violence!” Looking closer at Mana, after a moment Mutzy said, “Hey, whaddya know! It really is Mana! You’re all grown up, I hardly recognize you.” 


Rolling his eyes, Andy said, “Excuses, excuses… Isn’t there something else you should be saying? An apology perchance?” Scratching his head while simply staring at Andy, Mutzy finally said, “Sorry Andy.” Quickly smacking him on the head, Andy exclaimed, “Not me you buffoon!” Clutching his head, confused as to why he had been struck, Mutzy muttered, “I said I was sorry…” Standing there watching them with the others, Mythra commented, “This Mutzy is kinda…” Finishing for her, Bella muttered, “Retarded?” Nodding, Mythra simply said, “Yep.” Feeling embarrassed, Mana said, “He is… special, but he’s a good and loyal friend once you get to know him.”


            As Andy continued to scold Mutzy, Mana stepped in to break things up, saying, “Andy it’s ok, really! It’s been about six years, and I was a bit young when I left… I can’t blame him for not recognizing me.” With a sigh, Andy turned away from Mutzy and said, “As you wish milady…” Strolling over to Mana and the others, Andy stared at Mythra and Gibolu and said, “To be fair, I suppose he wasn’t completely without reason. I can tell the fair maiden with black and gold hair is a fellow sprite, but why are you leading these others into our sanctuary Mana? You’re violating a very serious rule.” Presenting Andy with the letter, Mythra said, “We’re all members of Angelorum Lux, and we’re here on official business. The Fairy Queen should recognize the Crest of Mautau that’s stamped on the letter and the envelope.” Staring at the letter in great surprise, Andy said, “My, my, Angelorum Lux you say? Even after a thousand years, the legends are still told amongst our people.” 


Then looking at Mana in realization, Andy asked, “Lady Mana, don’t tell me you’ve become…?” Holding a hand up in front of her as she shook her head, Mana quickly said, “No, no, no! Well, it’s kind of like that, but I’m not some hero or anything! I don’t fight at all!” Stepping in to help her, Gibolu said, “Mana is a member of the world renowned performers, the magnificent and spectacular Gibolu’s Traveling Circus! It just so happens that we got caught up in Angelorum Lux’s epic battle against the forces of evil, and decided to lend them our aid in any capacity we are capable of.” Staring at them for a moment, Andy suddenly burst into laughter. Genuinely surprised by his reaction, Gibolu asked, “Was it something I said?” Clutching his sides as he laughed, Andy said, “Circus?! Of all the…” Unable to continue through his laughter, Andy stood there laughing, and standing behind him Mutzy said, “What’s a circus? I’ve never seen one, you know?”


            Embarrassed and slightly angry to be laughed at, Mana began to tear up slightly as she shouted, “What’s so funny about it?! I’d prefer being the Gibolu’s Traveling Circus butterfly tamer over being treated like a freak all the time!” Andy’s laughter quickly died out, and feeling a bit ashamed of himself, he said, “My apologies milady. Still, is that really why you left? Dear Mana, it doesn’t matter what the others say! Mutzy and I never thought of you as anything of the sort, and I’m sure it’s the same way for your mother and sister. If you were being bullied, you could have always come to me for aid.” Striking a dramatic pose, Andy grinned and added, “As a valiant knight of chivalry, I would ride to the aid of any fair maiden in trouble, especially one who is such a dear friend as you!” Staring at the ground, Mana said, “It wouldn’t have changed how the others thought about me. I just felt like I couldn’t stand it anymore. At least with the troupe I felt like I was making people happy…” 


Placing a floating hand on Mana’s shoulder, Gibolu said, “Mana, I didn’t force you to tell me everything when I brought you into the troupe, but this isn’t right. You’ve made many people happy, but I’m sure the family and friends you left behind were sad and lonely without you.” Looking up at him, Mana said, “I know… It’s just been so long, and I left without saying a word. I promised I’d try my best, and I will, but what do I say?” Standing there with her spear resting on her shoulder, Bella said, “Apologize. If they’re still mad, too bad.” Crossing her arms before her with a sigh, Mythra said, “Guys, we’re on official business here! I agree she should go mend some fences, so instead of talking let’s get to doing! She can go talk to her family while I go and set up a meeting with the Fairy Queen. Now lead the way Dandy!” Taken aback by her forcefulness, after a moment Andy laughed and said, “My, such interesting adventurers you all are!” Turning to Mutzy, Andy said, “Mutzy, you head back first. Inform everyone that Angelorum Lux has arrived on official business!” Wagging his tail and nodding, Mutzy said, “Cool, I’ll go tell everyone then.” As Mutzy rushed off on all fours into the forest, Andy turned back to the others and said, “Well then, let us embark to the great Fairy Hollow!”


            Led by Andy through a much less overgrown path, as they made their way, Mana introduced the others and told him a bit about what was going on. Laughing quietly once she was done, Andy said, “To think you’ve been leaving me out of such a grand adventure! For shame Mana!” Following along with the others, Mana replied, “Not really. Like I said, I haven’t done much more than support Saria and her friends from the sidelines.” Glancing back at her, Andy grinned as he said, “Not just that. I may have made light of it before, but I must admit traveling the world and performing in front of countless people sounds like great fun! It would be splendid if you could perform your show for everyone back home sometime.” Quickly and eagerly, Gibolu exclaimed, “My word that sounds delightful! A performance before the Queen of Fairies herself, staged at the very center of sprite civilization! It would be an unprecedented occasion!” Turning his head to look at Mythra with enthusiasm, he asked, “Mythra, would it be too much to ask for you to suggest it to Her Majesty?” 


Eyeing him with an annoyed look, Mythra replied, “We’ll see. If you can follow proper etiquette and keep from going all overboard like you usually do, I might be able to get her to grant you an audience. The Fairy Queen who ruled a thousand years ago had something of a pet peeve about formalities, which made it a real pain in the butt having Alexander around.” Thinking it might have been due to his attire, Bella said, “The shades?” With a smirk, Mythra said, “No, he didn’t even wear them yet. He’s always been unbelievably smart and talented, but back then he was still only a man in his late twenties who had lived most of his life on the streets. He was just a bit too… outspoken.” Starting to stare off into space, her smirk disappeared as she quietly added, “The past thousand years have changed him, both in good ways and bad…” Suddenly coming to a stop before a pair of large, hanging leaves that created something of a leafy veil blocking the path, Andy said, “Well, we have arrived at our destination.”



© 2014 KeithKVH


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

209 Views
Added on October 29, 2014
Last Updated on October 29, 2014
Tags: Volume 3, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Adventure, Original

Legend of Mautau: A Dream Reborn


Author

KeithKVH
KeithKVH

Pasadena, CA



About
I've been writing a novel series as a hobby for several years. I hope to write other stories, but for now just hoping to continue improving this one. **Just a note to keep in mind, everything here .. more..

Writing