Ch 37: The Other Side of Destiny

Ch 37: The Other Side of Destiny

A Chapter by KeithKVH
"

Finding himself in the strange realm within his darkness once again, Grey is met by the mysterious white hooded figure, who merely introduces himself as White.

"

            Awakening on the floor of the strange room with tall windows and no doors where he’d first met Malum as Alias, unsure as to how he’d gotten there, as Grey started to pick himself up off the marble floor, a familiar voice said, “It seems the time has come.” Looking up, Grey saw the white hooded figure sitting upon the black throne in the room’s center. The hood hung over his face, masking everything but his mouth from view. Wary of the situation, Grey wondered if he’d be allowed to speak this time, and simply glared at him as he said, “Who are you?” Flashing a grin, the figure replied, “Who am I? Well, that depends… Your greatest ally? Your most dangerous enemy? I could be either or even both at the same time. For now, just call me White.” 


Completely lost, Grey got up and looked around at what was starting to become a familiar setting as he said, “Whatever… So what am I here for this time? Last I heard, this is some place deep in my own darkness.” Nodding, White gestured to his surroundings as though showing off as he said, “That is correct. This is my sanctuary, the place from which I have watched the world spiral towards its destruction.” Grey found himself troubled by the question of White’s identity. He felt certain something about him was familiar. After a moment though, White’s words registered in Grey’s mind, and he quickly asked, “Wait a minute, what’s YOUR sanctuary doing in MY darkness?!” 


Letting out a slight laugh, White said, “You catch on quick. That’s good, you’ll need that. I’d explain, but there are a number of things I’d have to address merely in order to get to that, so I think it’s really best we save such questions for later.” Grey clutched his head with one hand in frustration as he muttered, “Can’t you just give me a straight answer? What are we even doing here in the first place? I was fighting with Grave a moment ago, and now I’m suddenly stuck here again!” Casually, White said, “You needn’t worry about that. Grave has been soundly defeated.” Taken aback, Grey blinked in surprise and said, “Oh, ok… How are Scott and Alexander?” Folding his hands in his lap, White replied, “I suppose you could say they are both in good health. Since you foolishly trusted him, Scott, or should I say Dr. Nova, has succeeded in his plan to capture both you and your sister. Alexander is currently trying to devise a plan to save you.” 


Staring at White for a moment, Grey finally asked, “What?” Speaking bluntly, White unloaded the truth upon him as he said, “You were deceived. Dr. Nova used his nano-machines to imprint his mind into Scott’s before he died, effectively stealing his body. Alexander had his suspicions, but he let his guard down, giving Nova the opportunity to spirit you away. When Grave hurled you head first into the side of that rock, you fell into a coma and have been kept unconscious ever since by Nova’s psychic powers. You’re currently in Dr. Nova’s lab aboard the Vinculus, floating in an experiment tank with a restraining collar around your neck.”


            In a room filled with all manner of high tech laboratory equipment, Scott and Count Ferid stood before the experiment tank in the center of the room in which Grey floated, still in a coma. A mad grin on his face, Scott said in Dr. Nova’s voice, “All too easy! Give yourself a pat on the back Ferid, our victory today is not just any victory! It is a victory in the name of Science!” Less than enthusiastically, Ferid said, “Thrilling Dr. Nova, but if I may ask a question?” Turning to him with a curious look, Dr. Nova said, “A question is it? Do tell!” Hesitantly, Ferid said, “Just what are you planning Nova? Alastor is not going to be happy about this at all! We’ve stolen Vas Initio and the Vinculus, not to mention sabotaged his plans and taken that Giselle woman prisoner! If he finds us, he’s sure to...” 


Raising a hand and signaling him to stop, Dr. Nova calmly said, “Please Ferid, do have a little more faith in me! In foresight, knowing that someday I could possibly have reason to betray Alastor, I took the precaution during the Vinculus’ construction to add a special barrier system that will block any entry via dark vortex. Not to mention Alastor can’t find us anyways so long as we keep ourselves hidden within the Eye of Chaos.” Turning back to the experiment tank and looking at Grey appraisingly, Dr. Nova continued, “Just do as I say Ferid, you’ll see soon enough. Together, we’ll meet with Origin himself, just as I’ve dreamed of doing for all these years, and when we do I will finally have him unveil the secrets of the mysterious energy called EDE!”


            Standing there staring at the marble floor with a look of shock on his face, Grey quietly said, “That can’t be true…” From his seat upon the black throne, White said, “I’m afraid it’s very true. Fortunately though, Dr. Nova and Count Ferid have betrayed Altera Veritas. They have a plan of their own now, and they at least don’t show any intention of harming you yet.” Suddenly rising from the throne, White said, “Now then, let me show you something…” Hearing this, Grey looked up curiously. Suddenly closing the distance between Grey and himself as a blur of speed, White slammed his fist into Grey’s stomach, enhancing his strike with a blast of air pressure. Gagging blood as he was blown smashing right through one of the tall windows of White’s sanctuary by the force, Grey fell down through the white nothingness outside. 


Falling endlessly, Grey thought to himself, “What the hell is going on here? Was all that just one big lie? I guess it must have been, but it’s weird…” As he continued to fall, the world around him suddenly began to warp, and in a flash of colors Grey landed hard on his back upon a grassy hill outside a small town. Staring up at the night sky a moment, Grey sat up and looked around, and after a moment he thought, “Hey, I know this place. It’s that hill outside Aerennis, the one me and Amy were playing on that day.” Looking over at the town nearby, as he noticed something amiss, he thought, “That’s not right… It looks similar, but that’s definitely not Aerennis.” 


Suddenly noticing he could hear voices, Grey looked over to where two young men laid talking a short distance away from him. Getting closer, Grey was in for a shock as he recognized them both as Alexander and Alastor. Able to hear their conversation, Grey listened as Alexander said, “He just pushed himself so hard that he made himself sick. Then when he passed away, Mom got really depressed and-” Sitting up suddenly, Alastor interrupted Alexander, saying, “Yeah I know… I don’t really feel like talking about it anymore.” Sitting up as well, Alexander said, “Sorry Al.” Alastor just shook his head and said, “You don’t have to apologize. More than anything, I’ve always wished I could’ve known my parents, but because of how the normal humans look down on us, Dad worked himself to death and now we live in poverty anyway. Just like you’ve always said, the blame lies with the way this messed up world is, and that’s why we have to change it! So no one has to suffer like this anymore, right?” Alastor raised his hand, and Alexander gave him a high five, saying, “Right! It’s a promise!” Standing there staring at them, Grey thought, “That’s really Alastor? Wait, why am I seeing this? Is it because of the Nameless One’s essence within me?”


            As he stood there on the hill lost in thought, the world suddenly warped around him again, and he found himself standing in the Silver Forest that surrounded Alexander’s home. Standing there leaning against a hollowed out tree with a hole in it near the bottom, White said, “Hello again.” Glaring at him a moment, not having forgotten the sucker punch from earlier, Grey said, “What was all that about?” Approaching him, White said, “That was one of the memories of a young man named Alastor Bastille. A man who dreamed of a peaceful world where all were equal, the same dream you aspire to fulfill.” Crossing his arms with a look of irritation, Grey said, “Not this again! Look, I’m not jumping on the Second Truth bandwagon no matter what you say! Like I told Alastor, what he’s doing isn’t the same. I’m not giving up like he did!” 


Casually, White replied, “Yes, I agree. Just like Alastor himself, his Second Truth is nothing but a twisted form of his once noble ideals. Still, there is a similarity you hold to the original Alastor, the young man you encountered on the hill before. As though reflected by a mirror, so similar and yet completely different...” Wondering where he was going with this, Grey said, “Well yeah, I guess he did seem somewhat like me back there... He sure isn’t anymore though, so what’s your point?” Raising a hand up, White said, “Just an observation…” 


As Grey was wondering what he was doing, White suddenly vanished, and for a moment there was nothing but the sounds of the forest. Then Grey looked at the hollowed out tree as he heard shifting sounds from inside, and through the hole he could see a young, pink haired halman girl whom he could only imagine was a young Saria, sitting there staring out at him with a frightened expression. As Grey realized this must be the day of their mother’s death, he also noticed it in fact was not him Saria was staring at, but someone behind him. Turning around, Grey found himself faced with none other than Alastor. His attire quite different, he was dressed in a belted blue and black vest over a long sleeved black shirt, long black gloves, black pants, and black and white sneakers. Blue capes trailed at his sides from the white, cross shaped buckles attaching them to his shoulders, the crosses with bowed bottoms like the symbols of Acerbitas Desiderium. 


Grey also noticed he seemed quite a bit taller. He quickly realized though that the truth was that he himself was shorter, as he was now the same age as he had been during this course of events. As he felt himself compelled to back away from Alastor, no doubt an action of “young Grey” whom he was currently playing, Grey himself thought, “What’s going on now? Why is he here? I don’t remember this! Did it even really happen?” He was in for even more of a surprise as Alastor slowly kneeled down to look him in the eyes and said, “Don’t be afraid. You’re my brother’s children, I’ll be sure to keep you safe. Can you speak yet? What happened to your mother?” Unable to believe his ears, just as Grey thought things couldn’t get any stranger, someone called out, “We meet again, my Lord…” 


A man with short, spiky red hair came walking through the forest towards them. He had orange eyes with slit pupils like a snake, and his face had black tattoos on it. He was wearing black clothes, a black and red coat with silver shoulder guards, and black gloves. Quickly moving between young Grey and the man, Alastor formed his swords and glared at the man as he said, “Barinus…” Gathering his own mass of EDE, Barinus said, “It’s a shame, but this is the end of the line. I’m not letting you slip away again.” Barinus’ mass of EDE formed into a strange orb of floating energy with two silver rings floating around it, impaled upon a silver spike. Glancing back at young Grey for a moment, Alastor turned back to Barinus and said, “I won’t let you harm them. Whatever fate you and your organization are trying to bring about ends here.” 


Raising his hand, Barinus channeled EDE into his strange floating orb, and a flash of light erupted from it and blinded Alastor. Then another silver spike stretched out from the orb and stabbed through Alastor’s chest, and as Alastor dropped his swords and cried out in pain, Barinus grinned wickedly and said, “No you little worm… This is only the beginning…” The spike withdrew itself, disappearing back into the orb of energy, and as it left Alastor’s body, a glowing crystal fell to the ground, seemingly having been pulled from his body. As Alastor collapsed before him, Barinus let out an evil laugh and walked over to pick up the crystal. Young Grey stood there staring at the unfolding events, too scared to move, and Grey himself could only wonder to himself, “What the hell is all this?!”


            Just as Barinus was about to pick up the crystal though, it began to shine with brilliant light, and Barinus reeled back and shielded his eyes as he exclaimed, “What?!” Squinting at the crystal as it continued to shine radiantly, young Grey suddenly felt drawn to it, and walking over to it, he reached out and picked it up. In a flash of blinding light, the crystal vanished. The light faded, and having been temporarily blinded, Barinus fumbled around on the ground aimlessly for the crystal. Moving out of his way, young Grey moved back behind Alastor’s motionless body, and continuing to search for the crystal, Barinus started to become enraged as he exclaimed, “Where did it go?! Why did it respond like that?! Has that accursed Seventh Spirit somehow fled with it despite being reduced to such a state?!” 


His vision returning, Barinus seemed to finally give up on finding the crystal, and looking over at Grey and Saria, he muttered, “Whatever happened, I need to erase their memories to ensure Alastor takes the blame.” At that moment though, a dark aura suddenly surrounded Alastor’s body, and lifting himself up off the ground slowly, he said in a strange voice, “What did you do with it…?” Backing away from Alastor as he got to his feet, Barnius grimaced as he saw the glowing red tattoos on his face, and he grumbled, “The shock woke him up… Malum Vanitas…” Forming Acerbitas Desiderium, Alastor lunged at Barinus as he shouted in fury, “What have you done with it?! Answer me!” 


Leaping back as he brought down the wicked scythe, Barinus called out a spike from his floating energy orb, but grabbing hold of the spike with his hand, Alastor snapped it in two. Gritting his teeth, Barinus turned and fled, Alastor quickly chasing after him into the forest. As they both disappeared into the trees, the vision ended and Grey found himself back in White’s Sanctuary. As he stood there wondering about the things he had just witnessed, he noticed White sitting upon the throne watching him in silence, and turning to him for answers, Grey said, “Just what are you trying to pull here?”


            Grinning at Grey from his seat on the throne, White replied, “I thought you might say something like that. I can assure you, the events you witnessed are completely genuine memories. The last one I showed you, which you are no doubt more interested in, is one of yours in fact.” Looking at him skeptically, Grey said, “Funny, considering I don’t remember any such thing!” Unfazed, White quickly countered, “Do you remember much of anything before your days in Aerennis? In a whirlwind of events, the world you knew changed forever at the young age of three. Alexander made quite sure to watch you from afar in fear of your memories of him, but it did not take long for your short lived days as Varias Bastille to fade away like a dream. Your first meeting with Alastor simply faded with them.” 


Unable to deny that he had no memories of his short time with his real family, Grey still had his doubts about what he had seen. To begin with, there seemed no possible way that could have been the Alastor he knew. Seeming to read his mind, White said, “I suppose after all your struggles against him, you’ve come to think of Alastor as your greatest enemy. However, what he has become and what he once was are two separate things. During the time he was sealed away, Alastor rejected his heart itself in order to prevent the Nameless One from completely overtaking his essence.” Pausing a moment, White scratched his chin thoughtfully as though choosing his words, and then he continued, “A certain Seventh Spirit aided him in doing so. Some emotions remained though, and his body was still lost. His will to live created it anew with Malum Vanitas’ power, but twenty years ago when he awakened on Teramis, Alastor had no memory of his past. Through a series of events, he met with a number of people, and began to regain his identity.” 


White raised his hand before him, and the image of the man called Barinus flickered to life in the air as though made of glowing mist. Gesturing at  the image, White said, “One of those people was a sinister Mautauian, who was a member of an organization known as the Hand of Fate. Their goal is related to a prophecy shrouded in mystery, and they attempted to use Alastor towards their ends. Alastor managed to see through their plan to manipulate him, and he escaped their grasp.”


            Grey listened intently as White continued his story, saying, “For five years, Alastor evaded them while searching for Alexander. He managed to use the power of the Nameless One to travel to Gaia, and following rumor and heresay, he was able to learn of Alexander’s whereabouts. However, the Hand of Fate had tracked his movements, and laid a deadly trap for him.” To Grey’s surprise, the image changed, now displaying Scathe, the Revenant of the Black Sun. White continued as the image hung there, saying, “Alastor arrived while Alexander was out on errands. Amelia, ecstatic that Alexander’s long lost brother had returned, invited him in to await her husband’s return. Yet it was not to be, as Scathe attacked along with a group of anomalies controlled by machines. Your mother quickly took you and your sister and…” 


Motioning for White to slow down a moment, Grey exclaimed, “Whoa, wait a second! Scathe?! But he’s a Revenant under Alastor’s control!” Nodding solemnly, White said, “Yes. Whatever their ultimate goal, one thing is for certain. Altera Veritas and the Alastor you know were born because of the influence of the Hand of Fate. The entire attack on your home, your mother’s death, all of it was planned so that everyone would believe it to be the work of Alastor attempting to destroy the new He of the Infinite. Scathe is a battle cyborg originally created by the Hand of Fate. I imagine he’s likely under orders to assist Alastor as a Revenant now.” Looking at White as though he were crazy, Grey said, “So you’re telling me this Hand of Fate convinced Alastor to turn evil and start Altera Veritas?! Why?! How?!” 


Shrugging his shoulders, White said, “I only have my suspicions as to the exact details of their goal, so I’d rather wait to make any assumptions. As for the ‘how’ though, tell me, do you remember the crystal that came out of Alastor’s body when he was impaled by Auram Cavea, the Grand Anima Weapon that looked like a floating orb of energy?” Not having forgotten the strange crystal that Barinus had searched so frantically for, Grey replied, “Yeah, what was that thing?” Crossing his hands in his lap, White said, “Alastor’s heart…”


            Shocked, remembering the many times he'd been told of Alastor's lost heart, Grey exclaimed, “His heart?!” With a nod, White said, “Auram Cavea’s Sorrow Spike amplified all of Alastor’s past pain and suffering to the breaking point, exposing and ripping his heart from his body. It’s true that Alastor had already rejected his heart, but that did not necessarily mean he had completely lost his humanity. However, with it forcibly removed from him, the man known as Alastor Bastille ceased to possess the basic empathy and common sense he’d managed to hold fast to.” The image now showed the Alastor that Grey knew all too well, and White continued, “He became a true Hollow, a heartless being driven by the rage and fear that lingers within the emptiness inside him, easily instigated into going beyond the point of no return.” 


Feeling as though the world was starting to turn upside down, Grey was struggling to grasp that Alastor could actually be a victim of an unknown enemy. Reluctantly, he finally looked to White as the image vanished and said, “Ok, let’s say I believe what you’re telling me. But what brought this on in the first place? Just who are you, and why are you telling me all of this?” Suddenly the Sanctuary shook for a moment, as though a brief earthquake had occurred. Rising to his feet, White turned his head to look out one of the tall windows as he muttered, “He’s finally noticed us… He’s been keeping an eye out for me ever since I left. I waited to call upon you at a time when I thought he would be busy, but it seems we’ll have to deal with him sooner rather than later…” 


As White formed a pair of white swords identical in design to Alastor’s, a perplexed Grey said, “What?” Then the window White had been staring out of suddenly shattered as Malum leaped through it, and landing on the floor of the Sanctuary, the villain quickly lunged forth at White and swung his dark Ravenclaw blades. Blocking with a single blade, White smiled faintly and said, “Hello Malum, so good to see you again.” Jumping back as White pushed his blades aside and swung his other blade at him, Malum grinned creepily and said, “Well, this IS a rare occasion! Here you finally come home, and you’ve actually brought company over!” Looking over at Grey briefly, he added, “And just look who it is! My word Grey, I’d never have dreamed that the two of you had been going behind my back like this! Is nothing sacred to you?!” 


Forming his swords as well, Grey was at a loss as he said, “What the hell are you talking about?! Are you telling me you two know each other?!” Chuckling to himself for a moment, Malum looked at White and said, “You really are quite selfish, you know? I’d wondered why I couldn't monitor his activities using the core essence within him, why I was suddenly able to access it at random times…” Pointing a blade at White accusingly, Malum said, “I was the first one who came to fill the emptiness within you, and yet not only did you side with Alastor back then, but now you’re two-timing me with young Grey here as well?” His creepy grin widening, Malum added, “You’re just so heartless, Vanitas…” As Grey looked over at him in shocked realization, Vanitas just smiled faintly, his left eye glowing red within the shadows cast by his hood as he said, “Now you’ve gone and spoiled the surprise…”



© 2014 KeithKVH


Author's Note

KeithKVH
A plot twist and turning point I'm interested in hearing reviews on. Although I'm not done writing everything, we are essentially at the halfway point of the story I would say, if not a little past. There is much still to be uncovered...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
Added on October 31, 2014
Last Updated on October 31, 2014
Tags: Volume 3, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance, Adventure, Original

Legend of Mautau: A Dream Reborn


Author

KeithKVH
KeithKVH

Pasadena, CA



About
I've been writing a novel series as a hobby for several years. I hope to write other stories, but for now just hoping to continue improving this one. **Just a note to keep in mind, everything here .. more..

Writing