Anchors Away

Anchors Away

A Poem by Kelsey O'Connell
"

new shape poem --

"

Anchors Away

 

Lost

 At sea

in this constant purgatory

of lies

and

 deceit,

I search

 for the

 strength

 of                                             an

 anchor to take me out of this tide.

Grounded, the iron bars provide

 stability, hopeless waves crash

against me, trying feebly

to take me

out

© 2013 Kelsey O'Connell


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have no words.....my voice is in my awe! Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Dear Kelsey

Time for a return visit.

I shall keep this review brief (by my standards) and just make a few points.

1) Concrete poetry. Now if there is any piece with completely fits this style of writing, this is it. The words as displayed in the page enhance the meaning. Well you have a poem about an anchor where the words are shaped into an anchor! I have never seen anyone do it better than this!

2) Whilst forcing the structure, you still manage to retain many poetic values.

i You maintain a rhyming pattern in couplets - 'sea' 'purgatory' - tide' 'provide' - ' feebly' 'me'

ii There is a natural rhythm to the poem too.

3) You punctuate sometimes. I would go all the way and either punctuate throughout, which means putting at least a full stop after your last word 'out' or not punctuate at all. I would go for the former.

The meaning of the piece is clear and has a raw emotional impact, certainly on me. You feel your life is floating or an aspect of it, moved by the daily tides of life and you want something to hold you tight, an anchor in your life.

There is no point in my quoting back to you my favourite lines, as I would simply quote the whole poem back to you.

4) In overview, a highly structured and sophisticated poem with a raw edged and impactful meaning.

Bravo!

Your friend

James

Posted 10 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Nix
A great change of pace and a very well done poem. You managed to keep everything flowing even with the anchor shape restricting the possibilities. GREAT job! Different is almost always good.... almost.... but this was very well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Kelsey O'Connell

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the read and nice review!
I'm glad you enjoyed the piece
Nice work. Even with the consonance of sound.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Kelsey O'Connell

10 Years Ago

Thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

449 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2013
Last Updated on June 5, 2013
Tags: Anchors, Life, Strength

Author

Kelsey O'Connell
Kelsey O'Connell

ON, Canada



About
XV . V . XCV I'm 17 years old and I live in a small town in southern Ontario. I am an aspiring athlete and book worm. I am a true believer in that - good or bad - what goes around, comes around... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Growing Up Growing Up

A Poem by A. Wrin