Chapter 7: Dawn.

Chapter 7: Dawn.

A Chapter by Kirbyfactor

Warren.

Everyone was present, Charlie was gone again. 'Today we're going into the forest, and try to hit moving targets. Cole and Abby, you're staying here to watch the camp' Cole nodded and walked to the gate and got on the lookout post. 'I really want to go' Abby said, she already had her gun in hand. 'First of all, put that gun away' she put the gun in her holster. 'Second, you can have a baby at any moment, we can't take you.' she rubbed her stoumache. 'So what, if the baby comes I'll have to protect it.' she insisted. 'The baby may come in the woods, and you know what a baby does?' he asked. 'A baby cries, and sound attractes those zombies, I don't feel like ending up as zombie food today.' he knew he was making Abby sad, but he didn't want her or the baby to die. 'We all have guns, can't we protect her?' Tyreece said, all the others agreed. 'F*****g fine then, Anne, you watch the camp, we'll go out to practice.' Anne agreed and walked to the other gate. 'Max, you're probably better off if you stay here as well, no offence'
They walked about an hour before they started practice, this way they avoided attracting zombies to the camp. 'Shooting moving targets isn't as easy as shooting cans, so be careful' he took his crossbow and put an arrow in it, just in case. 'There's one, one person at a time' the group formed a line, Warren was standing aside, and kept his crossbow pointed at the zombies head, if he came too close to the person shooting he could kill it. Steve was the first person to shoot, he shot the zombie, the bullt went to the right side of his chest. He shot again, this time the bullet went to the left side of his stoumache. 'Got him' Warren yelled, he shot the zombie in the head. 'You wanna aim for the head' he pulled the arrow from the zombies head. 'Next' he said.
'Enough training for today, let's head back' they started walking. 'You two did good' he said to Steve and Sandy, they had talent for shooting guns. 'What makes it easy is-' they would never know was makes it easy, because Steve was cut off by a scream, Abby's scream. She was leaning to a tree, and trying her best not to make anymore noise. 'What's wrong?' Steve asked, they ran over. 'Please, don't be what I think it is' Warren said to himself. 'I think the baby is coming' she said, she slowly slid to the ground. Warren cursed, 'It's atleast 50 minutes of walking, we won't make it.' he was thinking of a solution. 'Steve, run back to the hideout, and get the pick up truck, then come back here.' The boy didn't ask any qeustions, nodded, turned around and ran to the hideout. 'Alright listen, you're going to be just fine' Warren crouched down. 'We have to get you to the road, when Steve comes with the pick up we can get you right in.' He took Abby in his arms and picked her up. 'Cover me!' he shouted, then he started running to the road. The scream had attracted some zombies, and they were coming from all around. The rest of the group couldn't shoot very well, but good enough so that they could make it back to the road. Warren put the woman down, then yelled for Sandy to come over. 'I need you to take care of her' Warren said. 'but' she started, he cut her off 'No buts, the rest of the group doesn't know how to kill these things properly yet, and I bet Abby would rather have you between her legs than me' with that said, he took his crossbow and started shooting zombies. 'Are you okay?' he heard Sandy say, Abby said she was fine, but she sounded like she was in pain. 'BEHIND YOU' Tyreece screamed, and he pointed at Sandy. A group of zombies was walking up to her. She grabbed her gun and started shooting, Warren helped her. 'Are you okay?' he asked when all the zombies were gone. 'Yeah, we're fine, you should protect the rest of the group, we'll be safe' she pulled an arrow out of a zombies head and gave it to Warren, he then went back to the rest of the group.

Cole

Cole was standing watch on the south gate, Anne had the north gate. There weren't a lot of zombies. Max climbed the wall, and stood next to Cole.  'Hey man' he said. 'Hey' Cole replied, he was distant. He kept thinking about Charlie, he had run off again, just like yesterday, but he didn't return with suplies. He was so deep in thought he hadn't noticed Max said something. 'oh,Im sorry, what?' he asked, the boy seemed nervous. 'How do you do it? Kill one of those... things' he was playing with his hands, and his face was red. 'You don't really think about it, not much time when one is trying to bite your face off. If you feel bad about us killing them, just remember that they aren't human anymore.' He grabbed a pair of binoculars and looked through them. 'What made you ask?' he looked at the forest, but didn't see any sign of zombies. 'I always see you and the other kill them as if they are nothing' the other boy admitted. 'And you think that's a bad thing?' Cole said while laughing, but Max didn't like it. 'They're dangerous and, and, and' the boy's voice went silent, he couldn't think of anything else it seemed. 'Look, if you don't want to kill zombies that's fine, but please find another way to make yourself useful.' he put the binoculars away.  He put his hand on Max' shoudler. 'Anything you're good at?' he asked. 'uhm' Max said. 'I'm good at painting' Cole knew that wouldn't help them if their camp got swarmed with zombies. 'I can write' he added, very happy. 'No offence, but can you do something that will PREVENT us from turning into zombie bait?' Max thought for a while, then he shook his head. 'I can't even fire a gun' he said, he sighted and lowered his head. Cole took the binoculars, handed them to Max and said 'Take these, if a zombie comes through just scream at me' he jumped off the platform, leaving Max to do his new job.
Cole opened the bags of guns, and took a few guns from each of them, he then walked to the car and put the guns in it, if they had to run in a hurry they would atleast have guns. He put the bags away and walked over to Anne. 'Everything okay?' he asked, but he didn't have to, because the bridge on her side was as empty as Cole's side. 'Yeah, you letting Max do your work now?' she looked at the boy, he was still looking with the binoculars. 'yeah, he wanted to be useful, so I gave him that task, he'll scream if there's trouble.' it was nice talking to someone else, they talked for some time before Cole returned to his lookout. 'Anything?' he asked. 'I saw someone running this direction, I think it's Steve.' Cole grabbed the binoculars, looked through them and saw it was Steve, he had a gun in one hand and he was running as fast as he can. 'OPEN THE GATE' Cole and Max got down to open the gate, and Steve a few minutes later Steve ran in. 'What's wrong, did you get attacked?' Cole asked. Steve was breathing heavily. 'Abby... baby' was the only thing he said, he ran to the pick up and got in, then he drove off.

Warren

Zombies had almost overrun the group, everyone formed a circle around Abby and Sandy, because they were almost out of ammo they had to use their melee weapons. 'Remeber, aim for the head' Warren said, he was using his hunting knife. 'How's the baby' he screamed, 'Nothing yet' Sandy replied, 'Im starting to get worried' Warren said after stabbing another zombie in the head. 'This can take two to fourteen hours, have some patience!' she said the words, but Warren knew she was losing hope too. 'Stay in formation!' he screamed, after Tyreece went forward to kill two zombies at once. If a zombie got between them they'd be finished. 'Where the f**k is Steve' he said to himself. After ten minutes of fighting they could see a car coming down the road, driving full speed. 'IT'S STEVE' everyone was happy, and they wanted to run towards the car. 'STAY IN FORMATION, WE AREN'T SAFE YET' Warren yelled, he knew it was hard, but they had to push a bit longer. Steve drove the car straight through a group of zombies, stopped the car, grabbed a shotgun and got out of the car. 'Bring it on b*****s!' he started firing, now the zombies were focussing on him. 'Come one, carry her to the car' Tyreece said, he and Warren lifted Abby up and put her in the trunk. 'Sandy, stay with her!' she nodded and also got in the trunk. 'Get in everybody.' he took his crossbow and started shooting zombies, giving the others time to get in the car. 'Come on Warren, get in!' Steve turned the car around, ready to drive away. Warren grabbed one last arrow from a zombies head, then he ran to the car and jumped in the trunk, next to Abby and Sandy, then the car sped off.
Sandy gasped 'I can see a head!" she screamed. Warren looked, and he could indeed see a head. 'Slow down!' he screamed, they lowered speed. The driver side window opened, and Steve stuck his head out. 'What's up?' he asked. 'The baby's head is out, we can't let it get damaged' Steve got it, took his head back and closed the window. The rest of the drive was slow and long, but the baby didn't get hurt. 'Open the gate Cole!' the gate opened and they got inside safely. Everyone got out of the car, and they carred Abby and the baby out. 'One last push!' Sandy said, Abby pushed, screamed, and the baby was out. He cried, and Warren felt relieved. If it cried it ment it was healthy. 'Is it a boy or a girl?' Cole asked, he had put Max on the lookout again. 'A girl' Abby said, she was exhausted. 'What're you going to call her?' Warren asked. 'I don't know yet, right now I just want to sleep.' she replied, she got up. 'I'll help you' Tyreece said, and he and Abby walked to the room. 'uuuhhm, Cole? There's trouble coming' it was Max, they went to the wall and looked, a swarm of zombies was coming. 'They must've heard the car' Cole concluded. 'yeah, no s**t' Warren said. He got down, walked to the bags of guns and grabbed a few shotguns and assault rifles. 'Cole, Anne, Steve, Sandy, take a weapon, we're getting rid of that swarm' he handed out the guns and then they went through the gate.
'Keep a line, we won't let them through' they formed a barrier between the bridge and the group of zombies. 'Get them!'  the firing of guns could be heard, and the zombies fell down to the ground. They could've used melee weapons, but it felt nice to get rid of the stress by firing some guns. The zombies were getting killed faster than they came to the camp, so soon the swarm was dead, again. 'Good job everyone, we deserve our sleep now.' the group walked back to the camp, and they could finally rest.
That night they made a campfire, and they all sat around it. 'Charlie still isn't back' someone noticed. 'Who cares' Abby replied 'I'm glad he isn't here to jump on our back all the time' everyone laughed and agreed. 'So, what are you naming her?' Cole asked, he looked at the baby, Abby was holding her in her arms. 'I'm naming her Dawn.' she looked at her baby and smiled. 'That's a beautiful name' Warren said, the rest of the group agreed. Cole held up his cup 'To Dawn!' he said, the rest also held up their cup, and they made a toast to Dawn.


© 2013 Kirbyfactor


Author's Note

Kirbyfactor
I am not an expert on babies being born, so excuse me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on October 1, 2013
Last Updated on October 9, 2013


Author

Kirbyfactor
Kirbyfactor

Rotterdam, Zuid Holland, Netherlands



About
Not much to say, I write stuff. more..

Writing
But But

A Poem by Kirbyfactor