Trying To Fit In

Trying To Fit In

A Poem by Dark and Mysterious

Happiness flows

Perfection is seen

‘I’m awesome’ she crows

To the world she’s mean

But they don’t know

What lies inside

Her perfect shows

They’re all a lie

She’s just like the rest of us

Trying to fit in

Trying not to be a fuss

The world she wants to win

But she lost herself

Somewhere along the way

Her life is an empty shelf

With no books to fill

‘Cause when I asked her who she was

 She didn’t know anymore… 

© 2014 Dark and Mysterious


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

There is an interesting facility provided here at WritersCafe.. it is the ability to link an image with the work. Clicking on the image, we see a girl and surroundings in shades of gray; the dress and shoes popping out at the viewer with a brilliant blue hue.

I often wonder if there isn't a subtle message offered up by the author when that choice of image-cum-writing is finally published. An addendum that provides yet another key to unlocking the mysteries of a piece. I'm going to go with that thought for now and fantasize on why the girl in the picture seems to be a part of the background with only form, texture and subtle shading to outline and define her features. Why do only the accouterments draw attention? What is the intention of the attention? Perhaps the answers lie in the lines of the poem. Let's see...

"Happiness flows - Perfection is seen..." ~ Perhaps the happiness and perfection is in reference to the artificial amplification of choices, of appearances that we make as we attempt to present ourselves to the world? A presentation that has at its core the need to love and be loved. How often is it the case that we feel like part of the background, gray, bland, ill-defined and unworthy of notice? We mimic nature and adopt a plumage that, in our minds, may help in the attainment of our most secret inner desires. We "crow" in imitation of those we observe having, seemingly, attained that to which we also aspire.

"Her perfect shows.. They're all a lie." ~ But as is pointed out here, "Her perfect shows.. They're all a lie." Perhaps not so much a lie as a strategy for success gone awry by succumbing to the power of numbers - the directive mass of the herds and flocks of society in which she gallops or flies.

"Her life is an empty shelf.. with no books" ~ The charge of an "empty shelf.. with no books" is somewhat harsh too for it is clear that the protagonist does indeed think; perhaps not with the same motives, goals, or lusts that another might choose but there is intelligent thought at work there none the less.

"I asked her who she was.. She didn't know anymore." ~ Finally, the moment of truth arrives and we begin to perhaps understand the brilliant blue, the S.O.S. signaled by this gray ship, run aground upon gray rock walls. In kindred spirit we ask who is she that now seems lost? The answer is... all of us.

A wonderful poem, D&M! Thought provoking and true to your nom de plume!

-Ufi




Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very thought provoking of you to write a marvelous piece about fitting in. I also like the way that its persuading people to try and fit in avoid those mean girls that will try to ruin your life.You accomplished making this piece adroitable:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I enjoyed this piece. This poem had a great . great 100%

Posted 11 Years Ago


I can relate to this poem. It's easy to lose who you are.
This poem had a great meaning and everything about it gave me a feeling of calmness for some reason, as if I were looking into a memory and then being blanketed by darkness.
Well done. ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago


A beautiful write is all i can say!!!!The last two lines are really gud!!!!!Keep writing!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Fitting in takes place in many ways. Appreciating something and bringing oneself to say so to some one is one way. But where that causes even greater wishing, its indicative of the hazards of compulsive admiring from afar.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A concept many people would do well to contemplate! Great write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, I can relate to your writing. I have had identity crisis. One in which I want to accept myself and be accepted. If you would please read my poem, "Is it Me" it is about not recognizing yourself your inner being, and many not recognizing you in person. Please read and review other emotional writing I have submitted here as well. It is all about myself and my personal, inner struggles. I hope to let you know this was not a review to get you to read my writing but to let you know I hear you and can emphasize. I don't want to be "a fuss" as in your poem. I feel I fit in with you! Thank you, Xandria aka Khloevhr

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this poem. I especially love the last two lines, that was a great ending actually. Good job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A breath taking write...

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is nice. I just kind of want to feel more emotion if that makes sense. But its a very nice poem (:

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

967 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 5, 2013
Last Updated on March 15, 2014

Author

Dark and Mysterious
Dark and Mysterious

Delhi, India



About
wanna know me?? good luck with that ;) more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..