Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 4 : Cheap Chic

Chapter 4 : Cheap Chic

A Chapter by Lee Loud Lewis

It was Friday. Larissa’s heart raced up and down. This meeting could change Larissa’s life. Larissa had never been to a meeting before, so she was unsure what to wear. Just yesterday,  her mom had given her fifty dollars out of her check to go and find something nice to wear. Larissa knew that the fifty dollars would hurt her mom, considering that she had six other kids that were in school to take care of. Larissa was the oldest out of a seven kids. Her mom happened to be a single parent. Larissa dropped out of school in the tenth grade, to work two jobs to help her mom out. Larissa’s mom had no idea about Larissa’s talent with singing, considering how her mother was always working to take care of her family.

 

Larissa’s mother, Juanita, had found out about her daughters talent when a limo arrived to her house just two days ago. Juanita’s heart had raced, as she thought it was Child Protection Services coming after her kids. Juanita had ordered for all her kids to hide, but Larissa had spotted through their broken curtains that it was the man she had auditioned for. Larissa raced for the door and opened it, pissing off her mom. After Michael and Larissa, and some other chick with red hair explained to Juanita what was going on, Juanita was the happiest woman in the world. Larissa was beyond embarrassed whenever they mentioned that they tried contacting her via phone. Larissa explained that she had to disconnect her line to help her mom pay the light bill. Larissa was beyond excitable when Michael had handed her a new iphone. She had always wanted one.

 

                Larissa had decided to go look for a nice dress with the fifty dollars that her mom gave her from Wal Mart. The fifty had turned into thirty, because Larissa decided to buy two 9 dollar packs of curly long weave from “Instant Beauty” the corner store that  wasn’t far from her house. She hadn’t had her hair done in a long time. Larissa had found a cute nice white summer dress that had cost 16 dollars. The dress complimented her curvy shape well.  She had cute white heels and a few accessories to go with the outfit. Larissa was a cute girl. She had a nice curvy shape. Her body and curves were her trade mark. She had big juicy lips. She looked tough. Although her teeth weren’t as perfect, considering she had never been to a dentist, she had a really nice smile that warmed up hearts.  

 

                Larissa stood up in a crowd in New York Time Square. It was 11:15 and the time couldn’t roll fast enough. Larissa digged in her faux Gucci bag that she had been given years ago from a boy she dated a few years ago, and took out her wallet. She had 9 dollars left. She was hungry, so she decided to head for the closest McDonald’s.  As she made it into McDonald’s, she noticed the line. She had hope they wouldn’t take long.  She waited in line and started to fake text someone so she could ignore any  eye contact with anyone. As the line started to move, Larissa had noticed some girls giggling and whispering. They were also looking at her. She tried to pick up a whisper, and slightly heard the girl say “Is that a track piece sticking out of her hair?” as the other girl laughed. “It’s a track piece, wanna take a picture so it can last longer,” Larissa spoke up to the girls. The girls face got red. Complete silence. “And if you do decide if you want to take a picture, its going to be the last picture you ever take after im through with y’all asses.” The girls scurried out of the line and left the building. Larissa hated being disrespected. She was really a sweet girl, but stood up for herself or her family if she felt she was being attacked. Larissa ordered her food, and went to an empty table to enjoy her quick meal. After devouring her meal, she decided to call her mom.

 

                “Hey mom,” Larissa said as her mother picked up the phone. “Oh girl, I need to memorize your number, I thought a bill collector was calling girl,” Juanita stated as she giggled. Larissa laughed as well. “Mom I just wanted to say thanks for letting me follow my dreams..I know everything seems fishy to you, but I promise that I won’ let you down, “ Larissa said sweet hearted. “Listen pumpkin… I’m just happy for you. It did seem a little weird…and for this man to just pick four strangers to put in a group…it seems low budget. Now we can’t hire a lawyer, but try and read anything you sign carefully. You hear me?” Juanita questioned her daughter. “Yes mam,” Larissa said. “Now go make me happy sugar, keep your eyes open at all times. Be the strong girl I raised you to be, You can do this,” Juanita said encouraging her nervous daughter. “I love you Rissa, stay strong.” “ I love you too,” Larissa said as she hung up her phone.

 

                It was time for Larissa to head out to the studio. She was so nervous. She was unsure if Michael was serious about the group, and how the girls would react to her.  She worried if you could see a track piece in her hair, so before leaving the restaurant, she decided to go to the bathroom to check her hair out. After checking her hair and fixing the piece you could see, she took the stroll to the studio. Larissa had no idea what to expect. This was all new to her. Larissa was never nervous about anything, but this made her legs shake! She was doing something she always wanted to do. It seemed like just yesterday, she was signing with a broom as her microphone, pretending she was on world tour while cleaning her house singing to every song that was on the radio. She always wanted to be in the spotlight. As Larissa finally made it to the studio that she was given direction to go to, she looked at the building up and down. Larissa took a deep breath and decided to walk in.

 

                “Hey Larissa, nice to see you sweety!” the red head chick that was with Michael greeted her. “Hi….” Larissa stuttered trying to pull out her name. “Sarah,” Sarah finished for Larissa. “You’re actually the first girl here, so I just need you to head to the back and have a seat at the table. Michael should be here soon as well. Would you like anything to drink while you wait?” Sarah asked Larissa. “No thanks,” Larissa answered her and headed to the back. She took a seat at the table. She noticed that there were four seats. Two sets of the chairs were facing each other, and one of the chairs stood at the end of the table. Larissa assumed that the chair at the end would be next to Michael. She decided to sit at one of the chairs that would be next to Michael. Larissa sighed. Her hands were shaking.  She was ready to start this meeting and get it over with. She knew everything was about to be awkward. Larissa waited, and in about five minutes two girls walked in. Larissa was shocked to see that one girl was whit, and the other one was really pretty. “Hi,” Larissa said shyly. “Hi!” the blonde haired girl said excitingly. “I’m Chloe, and this is Giselle.” “I’m Larissa,” Larissa said. She was wondering if the two had known each other, so she decided to ask. “You two know each other?” Larissa asked a little confused. “Oh no,” Giselle answered. “We just met like two minutes ago, Sarah introduced us.” Chloe continued from where Giselle left off. Larissa noticed that Chloe was very happy. Larissa wished she could stop being nervous and be happy like her. Her life was about to change. She smiled at the thought.  Could the new girl and Michael get here any faster, Larissa thought to herself. She felt like she was being judged, each and every time Chloe or Giselle looked at her. She hated awkward times like this.



© 2012 Lee Loud Lewis


Author's Note

Lee Loud Lewis
didn't really edit this chapter !

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Remember that each chapter is supposed to bring what happened before into closure and or keep heading towards the end result with small resolutions scattered throughout, then leave the reader with the desire to get to the next chapter. This chapter seems undone, I don't know what has been resolved. I like how you detailed what she did with the money but try to have her looking in a mirror then describe her. What she is doing is big, you need to see the emotions in her journey.

The second paragraph should be the open to the chapter, then the first, switch them, it reads better.

This is a good start...keep going, make the reader know her fears, struggle and what makes her tick. More important, what this means to her, is this her dream?

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this chapter so far
Keep it up!
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2012
Last Updated on August 15, 2012


Author

Lee Loud Lewis
Lee Loud Lewis

Lafayette, LA



About
Hi, I am Lee! I absolutely love writing! I think I am pretty good at writing, but not the best. Music and writing will always have a place in my heart. I am 20 years old. I hope you guys enjoy the .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..