Chapter 2- Missing

Chapter 2- Missing

A Chapter by LilMissJP
"

The stress and tensions are thick, and the girls are on edge when one of them goes missing.

"

Tamara woke up to a knock on her door. Her room was exquisite. The walls were paneled with a dark wood, and intricate designs elegantly coiled throughout the room. The bed was perfect, and very comfortable. She fell asleep fast and deeply. So, it took her awhile to realize the knocking wasn’t a dream.

 

“Tam, it’s Nat, can I come in?”

 

“Hmm K.”

 

Nat paid no attention to the intricate details of the paneling, or the other fascinating details, like the dark wooded dresser that could be a closet, or the elegant red curtains that swooped to the ground. Instead she stood at the foot of the bed, and waited for Tammy to get her wits about her.

 

“What’s wrong?” Tam asked as she sat up.

 

“Bridgette’s gone.”

 

“She had a five o’ clock appointment. She’s probably fine.”

 

“Tam, it’s nine.”

 

“No it’s not. I never sleep in.”

 

“I know, but it is. Look at your clock.” Tam did as her friend said, and she was right.

The little blue clock that sat on the dark table, that matched the dresser, clearly read 9:05 a.m.

 

“Alright. Did you try calling her?”

 

“Yes, but I can’t get a hold of her.”

 

“Do you think…?”

 

Understanding where her friend was getting at, Nathalie quickly shook her head no. “No, she’s not that self absorbed…is she?”

 

“I never thought so, but many people did. Maybe we’re just in denial.”

 

“Yeah, and maybe I’m over reacting. I can you know.”

 

Tam smile and nodded, but no matter how much she wanted to believe those two things, something told her there’s something very wrong.

 

“Morning Sleepy Head!” Maria greeted Tam as she stiffly walked into the kitchen and dining area. “Where have you been?” Maria was wearing her green sweat suit.

She obviously just got back from a game of tennis.

 

“Dreaming about my knight in shining armor.”

 

“Was he hot?” Kim shouted from the living room.

 

“Of course.” Tam beamed, but the smile didn’t reach her blue eyes.

 

“Well, I got to run guys. I’ll be back around five tonight ok?” Nathalie yelled over her shoulder as she grabbed her cell and headed for the door.

 

“Bye!” The three shouted.

 

“Does she have an appointment with a museum or something?” Kim asked as she glided into the kitchen.

 

“No, I think something happened at the hotel.” Tam replied nonchalantly.

 

“Oh. Poor baby. She really needs a man in her life. Then maybe she’ll learn to take a day or two for herself.” Maria sighed.

 

“She doesn’t need sympathy, Mar.”

 

“I know, but it’s true when you think about it.”

 

“Yeah. Hey, why aren’t you working?”

 

Mar and Kim chatted back and forth, not paying any attention to Tam, who sat at the counter quietly. Trying to figure where the hell Bridgette was. Her car was gone, but where could she be? She had checked her room, and her clothes and makeup were still there. So, she obviously didn’t plan on leaving any time soon. At least that’s how it looked. Maybe Nat can find something. Her hotel’s the finest in Memphis, maybe Bridgette checked in with a guy. It wouldn’t be the first time. It just didn’t seem right.

 

“Tam! Tamara Gotland!” Kim had been shouting at her for five minutes, and she just now took notice.

 

“Hmm?” Tam finally looked up.

 

“Your phone’s ringing, you might want to answer it.”

 

“Oh, I didn’t notice.”

 

“I know, that’s why I’m telling you.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“Don’t mention it.” Kim grabbed her Pepsi and left for the TV.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Tam, where are you? I told you we have a special going on, and that the owner

needs to be here. For Christ’s sake is something wrong?”

 

“No, I’m sorry Kayla. I totally spaced. I’ll be there in twenty.”

 

“You better be.”

 

“Hey is something wrong?” Kim shouted from the living room.

 

“No, I just spaced. I have to head in to work, and I don’t know when I’ll be back.”

 

“Ok, have fun, oh and you might want to change before you head out. I don’t think your customers would appreciate seeing you in your nightgown.”

 

Tam looked down and blushed. “Thanks.”

 

“That’s what I’m here for.”

 

 

“Kayla, I’m so sorry.” A petite brunette, stomped up to greet Tamara.

 

“Say that to you clients.” She shoved a folder into Tam’s hands. “Now go get ‘em tiger!”

 

Smiling Tam went to work in her favorite salon, which she owned, and was proud of it.

 

 

“Tyler, I told you, time and time again, that Mr. Delany always gets the penthouse by the river. He loves the river, and usually tips big! Call him and tell him you’ve made a mistake and need to give him the house by the river.” She wrote down a number and gave it to the short, chubby, bald man, and turned around as she heard her name.

 

“Miss Paella?”

 

“Morning Fran. How are things going?” Nathalie immediately noticed the tall

overweight woman.

 

“Good, Jake got an A on his spelling test.”

 

“That’s wonderful. You know, if you need any help with anything, you can just ask.”

 

“Thank you, Ma'am, I appreciate it.”

 

“Don’t mention it. Now, is there something I need to care of, or can you handle it?”

 

“Uh, well, there’s a man who says he wants to have a wedding in the gardens. I’m

not sure if you want to do that or not.”

 

“Ah, where is he?”

 

Nathalie finished work early, well she left work early. “Someone’s home sooner than expected.” Kim greets her.

 

“Afternoon Kimberly.”

 

“Don’t call me that, Nat.” Kim said.

 

Nathalie laughed. “Hey, do you know if Bridgette came home, yet?”

 

“Actually, I don’t think she has. Why? She hasn’t booked a room at JP?”

 

“No, and I’m beginning to worry. Her things are still here. Maybe we should file a missing person’s form thing. She could be in trouble.”

 

“Oh Nat! She always gets into trouble.” Mar claimed as she entered the room.

 

“About as much as Mar does.” Kim laughed.

 

“I know, I know, but what if she is really hurt?”

 

“Alright, if she hasn’t come home by the time Tam gets back, we’ll file a missing person’s form. Okay?” Maria negotiates.

 

“Thank you, Mar. I appreciate it.”

 

“That’s why I’m here. And Kim, shouldn’t you bounce?”

 

Kim gave her this aghast look, then looked at her watch. “Oh s**t, I do!” She grabbed her helmet, and waved her goodbye as she left.

 

“She’s never on time.” Nathalie commented, snickering.

 

“I know, but it’s hard not to love her.”

 

“Yep. Well, I’m going to go read. When Tam or Bridge comes home, let me know okay?”

 

“I’ll let you know when I know.”

 

“Fine with me, oh, and Mar? Stay out of trouble.”

 

“What do you mean?” Laughing, Mar headed to the gym up stairs, while her friend headed to the loveseat in the living room.

 

 

“Kayla, give everyone their tips, and remind them to come in tomorrow at five a.m. sharp.”

 

“I will. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

“See you tomorrow.” Tam headed to her Toyota Camry, and headed home.

 

As she pulled up into the drive, she knew something was wrong when she didn’t see Bridgette’s convertible parked next to Mar’s bug.

 

“She didn’t come home?”

 

“Nope. Which means we have to call the police and tell them we want to file a missing person’s report.” Nathalie explained. She looked like a mess. She quit reading around seven, and had been watching the front gates ever since.

 

“I’ll call.” Mar offered.

 

“Let me know when they get here. I’m going to go change real quick. Nat, you should take a shower. You look like crap.”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

Around 9 the cops showed up at their door.

 

“Hello, officers.”

 

“Are you Miss Young?”

 

“Yes, my friends will be down in a minute.” She let them in and motioned at them to sit down in the living room. “Would you like something to drink?”

 

“No thank you. So you think your friend’s missing.” He said it more like a statement than a question.

 

“Yes, we do.” Tamara entered the room, and sat across from the two officers. “I’m Miss Gotland.”

 

“Nice to meet you. Is your friend coming?”

 

“She was right behind me. Oh, here she comes.” Right then, Nathalie stepped in, and went to sit by Tam.

 

“I’m Miss Paella.” She extended her hand.

 

The two officers nodded and shook her hand. Now the three sat in front of the two officers who seemed to stare at them as if accusing them of driving their friend off.

 

“Tell us about this friend of yours.”

 

“She’s tall, and has blonde hair.” Maria started describing her.

 

“She’s a model.” Tam continued.

 

“She has an attitude.” Nat added.

 

“Did she have any appointments today?”

 

“Yes. She had one at five this morning, but she never returned.” Tam explained.

 

“She didn’t call either. I tried to call her a few times, but she never answered.” Nat added.

 

“We didn’t think much of it at the time. Honostly, I think this is all a big waste of time, but what would I know?”

 

“Shut up, Mar. Just because you’re open about your disliking of her, doesn’t mean we have to be the same way.” Nat said.

 

“Please you two, just stop! She’s gone, we have to do this.” Tam played the peacemaker.

 

“Alright, I’m sorry.” The two looked at Mar, and she heaved a heavy sigh.

 

“Fine, I’m sorry too.”

 

“Why didn’t you think much of it?”

 

“She sometimes finds a guy, and takes him back to my hotel. She doesn’t always tell

us when she’s doing this.” Nathalie answers.

 

“She doesn’t tell us much of anything.” Maria added.

 

“Couldn’t she just be at your hotel now?”

 

“No, I checked.”

 

“Did you have a fight with her recently?”

 

“Yes. It was stupid though.” Tam said.

 

“It was over Tam’s suite. We drew straws to see who got the master. Tam got the

shortest, so she got the master.”

 

“Miss Trent didn’t like that?”

 

“No, she hated it because she hates it when she doesn’t get her way. In fact she demanded that we draw again. She’s a snob and a half.” Maria ranted.

 

“So you don’t like her?”

 

“None of us really like her.” Maria said in a rude tone.

 

“Mar!” Tam scolded.

 

“It’s true.”

 

“She has her moments.” Nat said.

 

“Yea, her bitchy moments.”

 

“Mar!” Nat and Tam shouted.

 

“What?”

 

“When’s the last time you three saw her?”

 

“Around ten or eleven last night.” Tam answered before Maria could.

 

“Is there any chance that she could have just left?”

 

“Like move out?” Nat asked.

 

“She wouldn’t. Not over that.” Tam said, mostly to try to convince herself of it.

 

“She wouldn’t give us the satisfaction. She thinks of herself as a queen.” Maria commented.

 

“Besides, her clothes and makeup are still here, even though her convertible’s gone.” Tam explained.

 

“Is there anywhere she’d go?”

 

“To her manager’s house. She’s had a major crush on him ever since she first met him. They’ve become good friends.” Nat said, and wrote down his name and address for them.

 

“I don’t see how he can like her.”Mar said and left.

 

“She’s taking it hard.” Tam explained.

 

“Tam, quit denying it! She hates Bridgette. It’s a fact, and she doesn’t try to hide it.”

 

“Alright, alright.”

 

“Thank you girls. Do you have a recent picture of her?”

 

The two gave the men a picture of their model friend, and saw them to the door. They said that they’ll search for her.

 

Once they left, it was 10:00 p.m. The two slumped into the couch.

 

“Ah, I am so glad that’s over with.” Nat announced.

 

“Do you think they’ll find her?” Tam asked.

 

“I hope so, for her sake.”



© 2010 LilMissJP


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on January 26, 2010
Last Updated on January 28, 2010


Author

LilMissJP
LilMissJP

None of your business, IN



About
I am seventeen, but am often mistaken for older. I am a freshman in high school and am ready to graduate... I love to write and have been ever since I was seven. I started at an early age and then .. more..

Writing
Anger Anger

A Poem by LilMissJP