Playing Fair

Playing Fair

A Chapter by Little Blue
"

Jessie's story.

"

Playing Fair

It had gotten to the point now where I could just walk into the Rowland house, uninvited, and no one said anything. It was the second week in June now, and the rest of Devin’s family had gotten plenty of time to get used to me. If ever they found anything I did was against what they considered acceptable, they didn’t mention it.

I walked up the large set of stairs and across a perfectly white carpet. My converse left marks on the white carpet, slight indentations that made me wonder why anyone bothered maintaining carpets in their house.

As I approached Devin’s door, I heard guitar music wafting through the room. Good guitar music, but nothing something I recognized. Something compelled me to stand outside the door as he played. Then the music stopped suddenly. Curious, I opened the door.

“What you up to?” As I spoke, there was a clamor as he shut some type of book and shoved it under his bed sheet.

He ran his hand through his hair, “Hey Jessie. God, you scared me.” He gave a nervous laugh, and since I was too tired for a fight I pretended I believed whatever trick he thought he was pulling.

“I have skills like that.” He hadn’t answered my original question. Whether this was intentional or just out of distraction I wasn’t sure. “So what are you up to?”

I couldn’t read his expression, and I was left searching his face for an answer as he spoke, “Messing around with the guitar a bit.” It annoyed me that I couldn’t tell what was behind his choice of words.

“Does the guitar enjoy being played with?” I asked with a laugh. He shot me a look for my comment.

He changed the subject, “So how’d you do this year? I know report cards don’t come out until next week, but-”

“Do you know me at all?” I slumped down in the beanbag chair that was stashed in the corner of the room near where he was sitting and pulled off my converse.

“Comfortable?” He asked with a laugh as he looked at my mix-matched socks.

I entwined my fingers behind my head pointedly, “Don’t answer a question with a question. Only b*****s and stupid people do that.”

“Sara does that all of…” he stopped himself before he could give me any ammo to hate on his girlfriend with.

I couldn’t resist commenting anyway, “Yeah, that’s the point.”

There was a moment’s silence. He picked up his guitar and positioned it over one of his knees. He began to play a bit, and I recognized the song before he even began to sing.

She’s a good girl

Loves her mamma

Loves Jesus

And America too

 

I laughed with a simple kind of joy as his voice filled the room. As the music reached the far corners of the huge space I realized I had never heard him sing before. I wouldn’t admit this to anyone, but in that moment I realized his voice was one of the best I had ever heard. It sort of sank through you and filled you up. Or maybe it was just the song.

He continued to play the song, but stopped singing to look up at me, “What’s funny?”

I couldn’t explain to him, so I used the first thing that came to mind, “Long story.”

He continued to play, singing until the song ended. I tried to get rid of a smile I wasn’t used to having off of my face, but I couldn’t. He seemed to notice this, and smiled to himself.

Devin played the last few chords, and then set the guitar down. He looked at me expectantly. I had since been able to get the smile off my face.

“That was...interesting.” I said, as if I had to search for a word. Actually, it was amazing. I didn’t need to boost his already too-large ego, though.

He scratched the back of his neck, and stared down at his hands, “I did it for the school talent show. You didn’t go, right?”

Stupid question. “Why would I?”

“Never mind. But what do you think?” Why do you need my approval?

In a moment my answer became an issue of pride over kindness, “A little amateurish. But it was fine.”

He looked a bit upset, “Just ‘fine’?”

Hold your ground, Jessie, “Yeah. Not bad. Maybe with some more practice you might be good.” I knew I was lying. I just hoped it didn’t show.

He didn’t respond, but just stared at me with eyes that almost made me want to take back what I said. Almost.

He cleared his throat, “Maybe you should leave now.”

I thought he was joking, “Make me.”

“No, I’m serious Jessie. Go home.”



© 2011 Little Blue


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hm, i wonder why he wants her to leave all of a sudden. She's TRYING to be nice now...

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
1 Review
Added on July 10, 2011
Last Updated on July 10, 2011


Author

Little Blue
Little Blue

About
I am still a student in high school but I have a developing passion for writing. I write poetry daily and love working on my novels, most of which are half finished. I have lived in many places, but T.. more..

Writing
New Faces New Faces

A Chapter by Little Blue