...it can only delay it for a while...

...it can only delay it for a while...

A Chapter by Jeff
"

Continuing from Lauren's perspective.

"

The memorial service was beautiful. I stood between my mom and Brandon's parents. Everyone who was in the diner that morning was there as well as more than half of the senior class. A small smile crossed my lips when I thought about how Brandon would have reacted if he knew how many people showed up to his funeral.

In the days following I only ever left my room to go to school, I even stopped going to church. It seemed to be that every day was grayer than the one before. I would just stay in my room, my chin on my knees, wearing one of his t-shirts. Two weeks had passed when, one day, Kayla came to visit. I couldn't bring myself to leave the room to greet her, but welcomed her in when she knocked. She kept looking at the empty chair in the corner by the window.

"Lauren? How come Brandon is so sad?"

I was sure I had heard wrong, "What was that, sweetie?"

Kayla pointed at the empty chair, "How come Brandon looks so sad?"

Tears formed at the corners of my eyes and threatened to fall again, "Honey, Brandon isn’t there.” Two large tears fell from my eyes, landing on my favorite of Brandon’s shirts. It was an old and faded navy blue t-shirt that had a quote from a web comic that he used to read. He had given it to me after the two of us had gotten caught in a surprise rainstorm walking home from a movie earlier in the spring. “It's just an empty chair. Brandon,” my voice broke, “won’t be coming back ever again.”

Kayla looked at me with wavering patience. Then, she explained to me like I was the child, "He's right there! Can't you see him? He's got all white on, but he looks really sad. Why is Brandon so sad, Lauren?"

I looked at the chair. It looked the same as it had before. In spite of myself I asked the chair, "Brandon?"

Kayla suddenly smiled widely and I felt the strangest calm wash over me. If I were being honest with myself, I would have to admit that it felt just like when Brandon would wrap his arms around me from behind.

"Brandon says that he wishes you weren't so sad. He says that it's not your fault and that he doesn't hurt anymore."

Tears began streaming from my eyes, "What's he doing right now, Kayla?"

"He's hugging you. Can't you feel it?"

I put my left hand on my shoulder. It felt like I was touching him, "Yes. I can."

---------------------------------------

That night, I was awoken by a soft voice whispering my name.

"Lauren? Wake up, Beautiful."

It finally occurred to me who the voice belonged to, "Brandon?"

"It's me, I'm here."

I opened my eyes, completely blind in the darkness, "Where?"

His hand touched my cheek and his finger left a trail of fire down my jaw, "Right here, Love. I'm right here."

"I don't understand..." I started, dumbfounded.

"I don't either," he confessed, "but I'll take it."

I moved to him and he wrapped his arms around me in the gentle embrace I had missed so terribly, "Is this dream?" I asked.

"I certainly hope not." Brandon whispered in my ear before kissing my cheek, "I gave up forever so that I could be with you. If all I got was one dream, I would be most disappointed."

My mind was still muddled by sleep, not to mention the fact that it took a lot of concentration to remain coherent whenever Brandon’s lips touched me. "What do you mean?"

"Have you ever seen 'City of Angels'?"

"No..." I confessed.

"Well, neither have I," he laughed, "but the premise of the story is that this guardian angel, or whatever, falls in love with this woman and basically turns in his wings so he can become mortal just to be with her."

"You gave up being an angel?"

"It was an easy choice."

"Oh, Brandon!" I started crying, not sure how I should feel. Certainly grateful for Brandon being back in my life, but also conflicted over the circumstances that brought him back to me. What if, by giving up immortality he had to forfeit his soul and was therefore condemned to hell the next time... I couldn't - wouldn't - finish the thought.

He held me tighter, "It seems like forever since I heard you say my name."

"I love you, Brandon."

"I love you too, Lauren."



© 2010 Jeff


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

i am enjoying the story with every passing chapter - and i like how you have penny able to see mark - as it is said that children can see spirits...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 3, 2008
Last Updated on December 22, 2010
Previous Versions


Author

Jeff
Jeff

Boothwyn, PA



About
more cat pictures more..

Writing
Still Still

A Poem by Jeff