The Charlie Browniest

The Charlie Browniest

A Chapter by Jeff

Fall was slowly relinquishing its’ hold of the wondrous sights and smells that made up Brandon’s favorite season; giving way to winter’s icy grip which inevitably paved the way for the looming holiday season. Brandon liked Thanksgiving well enough, but Christmas had been bothering him immensely for several years now. For as long as Austin had known Brandon, he had always taken delight in aiming as many Charlie Brown references at Brandon as was possible between the day after Thanksgiving through the entire month of December.

Lauren loved everything about the holiday season. From Thanksgiving all throughout Christmas was always her favorite time of year. Even the cold didn’t bother as much; Lauren felt that it added to the joyous mood, encouraging loved ones to huddle together to share warmth. Lauren was especially looking forward to this holiday season for that very reason. Not that Lauren felt she needed to justify snuggling next to her boyfriend; it was that Brandon was always so hot to the touch. It had actually alarmed her at first, thinking that he was perpetually running a fever. Once Brandon, Austin and finally Brandon’s own mother had completely assured her that wasn’t the case, Lauren had started referring to Brandon lovingly as ‘My Polar Bear’.

Lauren was also looking forward to this particular holiday season as this would be the first time that she had a steady boyfriend for the season. If she was to be honest with herself, Lauren felt that she had found her ever after with Brandon. She also knew that Brandon had reciprocated those same feelings for her as well. However, Lauren had a nagging feeling that all was not well. As the days marched along, inching closer to Christmas, Brandon had started to withdraw into himself more and more. He was becoming stand-offish with just about everyone except her. Michele had tried to assure Lauren that she had known Brandon since the seventh grade and he always did that and always came out of it after Christmas was over.

“Did he ever tell you why?”

“No. I know that he hates Christmas, but he never wants to talk about why. He might tell you, though.”

“Haven’t you known him longer than anyone else? If he never told you or Austin, why would he tell me?”

Michele smiled and shook her head in a patiently and very motherly way; confirming, once again, Lauren’s belief that she will make an excellent mother someday. “Brandon is different with you. If you haven’t noticed, you’re the only one he hasn’t been short with or snapped at since Thanksgiving.” Michele nodded surreptitiously at Ashley, “He drove she-devil nuts last year, which lead to a huge blowout between them and their break-up.” Picking up her soda, Michele added with a tone of what Lauren felt was motherly pride, “Best decision he ever made, if you ask me. She’s still broken up about it, to tell the truth. She’ll never admit it, but she’s insanely jealous of you.”

Michele always knew what to say to make Lauren feel better. Brandon had finally joined them at the table and the topic of conversation had quickly changed to the upcoming all-girl trip to the mall to go Christmas shopping. Brandon immediately began discussing football with Austin at the mention of the holiday. Lauren was still a little sad at Brandon’s aversion to the holiday, but decided that she would try to talk to him about it when next they were alone together. Just as the last traces of Lauren’s worry over the state of her and Brandon’s relationship were fading away, Brandon’s phone rang. He checked it, cursed it and threw it into his bag. Lauren flashed an inquiring look to Michele, only to have a questioning look flashed back at her. Lauren’s panic started to rise again. Michele noticed and attempted to pat Lauren’s hand in a ‘I’m sure it’s not what you think.’ manner. Unconvinced, Lauren scribbled a hasty note and tossed it to Austin when Brandon wasn’t looking.

I REALLY need to talk to Brandon. Can you find another way home today? PLEASE?

Austin crumpled the note and nodded at Lauren. “Hey Charlie Brown, I gotta stay after to work on Rayer’s project ‘cause my internet’s been crap at home lately. Are you going to be able to make it home without my guiding intelligence?”

Brandon sighed, “I’m sure I’ll be able to muddle through and find the strength somehow.” He looked at Lauren, his face lighting up the way it always did whenever they looked at each other, “Will you help me find the strength to make it home today?” Lauren smiled, in spite of herself, and kissed him lightly on the lips.

Brandon contentedly put his head back down on his crossed arms propped on his backpack. Lauren mouthed a thank you to Austin who nodded with a small smile.

After the final bell rang, Lauren found her boyfriend grumpily snaking through the student traffic in the halls as he tried to reach her. Lauren still had butterflies whenever she saw him, but as of late, they’ve been slightly muted as she stressed over his mood. When he finally reached her, he lit up as if he hadn’t a care in the world and kissed her on the cheek as he hugged her. Lauren was struggling to think of a way to navigate into the conversation she was dreading when Brandon’s phone rang again. He checked, cursed and threw it back into his bag.

“Lauren, I need to talk to you about something seriously when we get to the car.”

Lauren felt relieved and terrified at the same time. Brandon, as always, read her face perfectly. “I promise you, it’s nothing bad. Just something I should have told you a while ago.” They walked hand-in-hand to Brandon’s car. Lauren waited patiently until Brandon was ready to start.

“Do you remember the first time I walked you home?”

“Of course I do.”

“Remember when you said that it was probably someone who wanted to give me money?”

“Sort of, yeah.”

“You have no idea how right you were.”

Lauren wasn’t sure whether she should speak or not. Brandon had gone distant and she couldn’t tell whether he was about to say something or if he was waiting for her to speak. Lauren couldn’t think of anything to say, but it was just as well, because Brandon started speaking again.

“My grandparents passed away when I was little. Being their only grandchild, they put me in their will, giving me control over the funds once I turn 18; which, incidentally is Christmas day. Anyway, the person who keeps calling is my accountant, Dave.”

Lauren was in shock, “You have an accountant?”

“My grandparents left me a substantial amount of money.”

“Lucky.” Brandon knew that Lauren didn’t intend for that comment to sound envious or greedy, simply matter-of-fact.

“I’d rather have them than their money.”

“I know you would.”

“I know you know. That’s why I’m telling you. Outside of my parents, you and Austin are the only people who know.”

“So why don’t you take his calls?”

Brandon hesitated for a moment, “Well, with my grandparents gone before I really got to know them, I became really close to my Great-Uncle. He passed away over the summer and also left me in his will.”

“I’m so sorry…”

Brandon smiled a crooked smile at Lauren, “It’s okay and he’s in a better place now. Anyway, the amount he left me nearly doubles what I’ll be entitled to.”

“I can see why you don’t want the money. You know, not many people our age would be able to handle your situation with as much maturity as you are.”

Brandon stopped at a red light and turned to face Lauren with an almost pained expression. “You wanna know how much I’m worth?”

“It doesn’t seem like it means that much to you, so it doesn’t matter to me.”

The light had turned from green back to red without Brandon’s notice.

“Brandon? Love, are you okay?”

A huge smile spread slowly across his face. Brandon took Lauren’s hand and kissed her happily on the cheek. “Better than I have been in years.”

They arrived at Lauren’s house several minutes later. Lauren got sodas for the two of them while Brandon started pulling out his books.

“So is that why you hate Christmas?”

“Partly.”

Lauren sat across the table from Brandon, “I’m sorry, but Christmas is my favorite time of year. I just have a hard time understanding why you hate it so much. I can see why you don’t like it because of your grandparents and your uncle and your birthday, which would be enough for most people…” She reached across the table to graze her fingers lovingly along his cheek, “But why does my polar bear hate Christmas?”

As usual, Brandon blushed at his newest nickname. “Honestly, since I’ve been old enough to understand, I’ve noticed that the whole season anymore is commercial-driven nonsense. Everyone is worried about how much they spend and whether it’s more than what others spend on them and the whole thing is out of control. It’s all about getting.”

“What about the birth of Jesus Christ? What about the Immaculate Conception? What about angels and wise men and babies asleep in the hay?”

“Look, I realize that religion means a lot to you so I would *really* rather not get into a debate about this with you.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean organized religion’s willy-nilly placing of holidays to suit their purposes instead of honoring the actual event by memorializing it on the actual day? The Romans decided that the date that the Lord’s birth was to be celebrated was going to be December 25th to coincide with the winter solstice; which, by the way, has the greatest ties to the Pagans and was denounced as such by the Protestant church in the 1700’s. By then, though, no one really cared so it stuck. Then the Catholic church actually *banned* gift giving in celebration of Christmas in the middle ages because of the Paganistic connotations, but then later reversed that decision because the rationalized TO THEMSELVES that gift-giving tied the *holiday* to Saint Nicholas, who aside from the many miracles that he was a part of was known for placing coins in the shoes of the needy that left them out for him. In effect, the church created Santa Claus and then commercialism and corporate greed used him to make parents buy more crap for their kids because they’ve been ‘good’.”

“Well don’t hold back Brandon, tell us how you really feel!”

“Don’t get me wrong, I love the spirit of the season. How people seem to be nicer, the time spent with loved ones, I even enjoy giving gifts. It’s when giving and getting take over the holiday and parents are fighting in the stores to get the ‘must-have’ toy of the moment… it just makes me sick to my stomach.”

Lauren got up from her chair, walked around the table to her boyfriend and sat sideways in his lap. Wrapping her arms around his neck, she kissed him on the lips three times and looked into his eyes, touching her forehead to his. “Do you know what I love about you? You’re not afraid to show how vulnerable you can be.” She kissed him on each of his eyelids, “Even though you hate my favorite holiday, you’re not attempting to ruin it for me or hold my beliefs or joy against me.” She kissed him on the forehead, “You’re a good man, Charlie Brown.”



© 2011 Jeff


Author's Note

Jeff
I don't know, this feels kinda forced. Any critiques/comments/suggestions are welcomed!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on January 3, 2011
Last Updated on January 3, 2011


Author

Jeff
Jeff

Boothwyn, PA



About
more cat pictures more..

Writing
Still Still

A Poem by Jeff