Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kimberley Reid
"

Di must leave home, a 16 year old struggling with life. Running away and drinking is the last straw for her dad, it looks like a little trip is in order!

"
Mr Magma clamped his hands over his ears as his eldest daughter Di and her best friend Megan squealed over their goodbyes.
"Di, do you really have to go? Who's gonna be my back up for Toni's mad a*s parties now? I'm not kidding one more party and I think I'll be snogging the face off his cousin!" Megan exclaimed. Di, laughed into her friends shoulder and fought back her tears.
"Yes, I have to go." She took the opportunity to shoot a glare at her dad who couldn't even seem to give her and Megan some privacy. Mr Magma stood in the door way to their lounge with his hands by his sides as the girls had settled down, pretending to not see the glare he shuffled on his feet slightly and found the fish bowl suddenly more interesting.
Di hugged her friend a little tighter. "You'll be fine, Toni's cousin is bloody fit, I would."
"Di that's enough." Mr Magma barked. Di rolled her eyes and did a Kirsten Stewart type gaze at him, lips set in a straight line and eyes in a half glare mode.
"You know its not like I just said I was going to wreck him or anything, I mean given the chance -"
"Megan sweetheart could you give me and my daughter a minute alone please." Megan looked up startled, she nodded hesitantly, with a quick departing glance at Di, she opened the patio doors and stepped out into the sunny July morning. Once the door slid shut, Mr Magma's face darkened, his put on smile dropped.
"I have been very patient with you Diana, but if you speak like that round your relatives you had better hoped I dont find out because when the summer is over and you come home, I can a sure you, your privileges will be taken away. Is that understood?"
Diana bit her tongue until she tasted the iron of her own blood, then she nodded once. 
When she first heard her Dad had decided to ship her off to her relatives in Wales, fuming was the last word that came to mind, she went ballistic. It had started on a Tuesday night when she went out with Craig and his lot from the estate near by, she didn't return until the following day at three in the morning hanging from the hips of a stranger and drunken as 16 year old could be. That was the last straw for Mr Magma. "Don't you want a future?" He dad had shouted before Di could get a chance to get to grips with her self; she stood swaying in the middle of the kitchen, her eye make-up dried along her cheeks, her hair a mess cascading down her back. All six of her dads were red in the face.
"Could only one of you talk at a time please, I'm getting a little... a little, disor... disorganized. Wait thats not the word." She slurred and frowned to herself for a long while after that.
"Disorientated?" Mr Magma suggested icily.
"Thats the one!" Di, had cried as though she had just won the lottery.
"Di I am trying to be tolerant, people grieve in different ways but what would you say if your mum was hear right now?"
"Dont bring her into this." Di said with a heavy lump readily forming at the back of her throat. 
"Why that's why your acting like this? Your 16 for goodness sake, you have a 4 year old sister who looks up to you, try be responsible."
"Mum would understand!" Di said, tears had started to pour down her cheeks. She had always hated crying in front of her dad as he always seemed to look at her in disgust when she did. Then in the kitchen was no different.
"Well your mum inst hear any more."
"No instead I'm left with you." With that she had stormed out of the house and didn't return for another week. The police had brought her back after arresting her for suspicious consumptions of drugs. 
Mr Magma sat Di on a chair and with a level voice simply said; "Your leaving for Wales in two days. Pack your things, enough to last until the end of summer."
Di frowned, then laughed.
"Your bloody jokin' right? Why the heck are you sending me away? What is the sight of your clearly distressed daughter too much for a heartless pig like you?" Her dad stood up abruptly and stormed out of the lounge. She followed him out, her hobnail boots jingling and her dark indigo hair swaying viscously behind her.
"Prick!" She screamed up the stairs. 

"Daddy, where's Mr Tumbles?" Fiona's little voice broke apart the tension between Di and her dad. The 4 year old stood in her favourite summer dress and sandals, she had a toy cooker tied to her dogs leash which the other end was held securely in her hand.
"No sorry, love." Fiona began to pout and walk away, Di quickly stepped forward and held out her arms. "Hug goodbye?" She said trying her hardest not to burst into floods of tears that cruelly pricked her eyes. 
"OK. But only a quick one, my cooker needs a walk." Fiona said matter of factly as she walked over to her sister. "Oh it needs a walk, what ever for?" Di said in an overly cheerful voice.
"Because its been sitting in the corner, feeling lost for too long. A change of scenery would be good for it. Thats what Daddy's doing for you isn't it?" Di and her dad shared a look and both headed for the sofa.
"Sweety." Di said more lightly than seriously, "I have been lost so yes daddy thought it would help me to get away. Its good your doing that for your cooker. Does it like going out and about?"
Fiona shrugged and stuck her thumb in her mouth, then decided against it so pulled it out again and whispered; "I dont know, it doesn't talk much."


© 2013 Kimberley Reid


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on December 17, 2013
Last Updated on December 18, 2013
Tags: Emotional, dark, mourning, summer, departure, beginning


Author

Kimberley Reid
Kimberley Reid

London, Watford, United Kingdom



About
Many people fail to make a decision out of fear of making a mistake, when failing to make a decision is one of life's biggest mistakes. - Ghandi more..

Writing